“Relaxing, unpretentious, and the best breakfast!”

Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Relaxing, unpretentious, and the best breakfast!”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed here 3 nights in June to recover from jet-lag before starting a tour of Greece. The rooms are beautiful: spacious, clean, and impeccably furnished. We had a room with the "private" pool. No, its not private - its one long pool in front of a series of rooms, with a low wall between them. However, it was lovely to take a dip anytime, and the covered porch offered shelter from the sun (and a brief downpour one afternoon). The view of Spinolonga Island from the room was spectacular especially at night when the boats returned to the small port.

The staff here are all professional and helpful and the other guests friendly and unpretentious. There was no need to feel uncomfortable about what you wore or how you looked. There were many English and German visitors and a few other Americans. The resort seemed quiet, maybe it was early season.

The breakfast was amazing. The most splendid spread I've seen in my travels in Europe. Many tables of everything you might want, and beautifully presented. Lots of fruit, eggs, cheese/fish/meat, and cereal for the Americans. I loved the special table for Cretan specialties: olives, honey, pastries, etc. The coffee was really delicious -dark and full-bodied.

The resort has a number of restaurants, but what was strange and somewhat difficult was that they were not all open every day, and it was hit or miss what was open - no schedule was available. So we ended up eating at the Italian place (Isola) for both lunch and dinner one day - and didn't enjoy dinner very much (see separate review). If we hadn't been so tired and ill, we would have explore option in the town. Lunch at the Blue Door was really good - we were lucky they were open and we could get in that day.

The spa was fine. I went to the steam room while my husband had a massage. I couldn't get the whirlpool to work, but otherwise it was quit pleasant. The staff was really friendly and helpful, and brought me a plate of fruit and water while I waited for him.

Yes, the funicular that takes guests up and down to the pool/sea is quit noisy. I would not want a room next to the track -we were one room away, and it was not too annoying, but we could hear it.

Visit here with someone you love, you'll not be dissapointed.

Room Tip: The private pool is not private, but nice to have if you like immediate water. It looks like all the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of our resort and your stay with us.
I was very pleased to read that you were comfortable during your time with us, our staff was friendly and helpful, and that you truly enjoyed the amazing view our location has to offer.
I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back should you return to Crete in the future.

Sotiris Kremastiotis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Suffolk
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We are currently staying at the Blue Palace and it has many great features. We would however like to share a couple of comments on the accommodation. We booked two superior sea view bungalows. On arrival we discovered that these were actually rooms in a three storey block, a more accurate description would be superior rooms. Unfortunately, we also have the rooms on the ground floor next to the pool and bar. Our view is primarily of the pool area and the noise from other guests in the afternoons is tremendous. We have requested a move but will have to wait to see if this is possible as the hotel is fully booked. If you do book, and are hoping for a bit of peace and quiet, we advise asking that you are not housed in rooms 410-415.

Otherwise the amenities at the hotel are excellent and the restaurants are very good. Full marks so far, to the staff who are friendly and helpful. Beautiful location!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank WineTravelandSong
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your stay at Blue palace Resort & Spa.
Our staff like to ensure that our guests are comfortable and have everything they may need and so I am delighted that you felt they were attentive. I am equally happy to learn that you thought the food was very good. I will be sure to pass these kind comments on to the team.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Blue Palace in the near future.

Manchester
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed at blue palace for three weeks, we had only gone for two but we liked it so much we changed the flights when we arrived to add a further week on the trip. It is luxury and sophisticated with a lovely choice if quiet areas as well as active areas if you want more people etc. the choice of food is fantastic and there is something for everyone. You can upgrade to a small villa kind of property onsite if they are available, the room we had was a two bed with its own pool, to be honest we cod have lived without the pool as we used it only once, the big upstairs pool in all the pictures is the one o be, the seating area is really funky with lovely music playing and sofa service. We will go back here without children as it is a romantic place for couples as well as a good family location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive and inspiring feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
It was a great pleasure having you here and it was a delight to learn that you were having such a wonderful time while with us that you decided to extend your stay.
May I take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at the Blue Palace and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future for another amazing and relaxing experience.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

My wife and I and our 3 year old son stayed at the Blue Palace for two weeks and have just returned. We've now stayed there for 68 nights since 2007 and the reality is that this hotel just keeps improving. Year on year it remains sharp and never shows signs of looking tired.

We have so far chosen to go back as we know that we are guaranteed a great holiday and as we have a young son it is great to arrive and almost have a home from home. The staff are fantastic and seem to remain the same each year. Whether it's the professional reception staff or the staff in the bar, the restaurant or even the house keeping staff, everyone is so friendly and genuinely seem delighted that you are there.

This time we had a room with a heated pool (it's cold rather than the non heated pool which is freezing). This is a mid priced room at this hotel. Rooms 330 - 336 are not overlooked and are private although your neighbours will see you. For us a pool is worth the cost as we generally use it until midday and then head for the beach.

Half board is really the way forward here to experience the best that this hotel has to offer. If you don't stay half board then the restaurant prices that you will pay are consistent with the standard of this hotel, some reviewers complain that the restaurants are overpriced but in reality the food is great quality, the portion sizes are huge and the views over the bay are stunning from each restaurant location. I think my favourite restaurant this year was the Blue Door, its a traditional Greek taverna with arguably the best location of all the restaurants right by the sea. It has a very natural effortless charm, live greek music and you can pre order any sea food / shell fish that you want and if you are half board you just pay a small additional charge.

Personally I was always disappointed with the food in the local village of Plaka so the hotel would always be my first choice to avoid mediocre food. Plaka really needs to smarten up it's act as currently it is scruffy and run down, the hotel is bringing a certain amount of wealth to the area but the village is failing to take advantage of this and that's a shame.

The hotel has a gym which is quite good but I prefer to run outside and this year I found an excellent run up to the wind farm, Plastika Kritis. The distance can be varied between 6 and 8 miles depending on the route that you take coming down from the top and assuming that you dont get lost. The scenery is fantastic and takes you through old olive groves and the views from the top are really worth it. I recommend taking one of the free 0.5L water bottles from the hotel and 2 euros for another drink in Plaka on the way back. I would not recommend starting the run much later than 8am and you can still be back in time for a shower before breakfast. The wind farm can just be seen at the top of the hill as you look left out of the hotel. In my opinion this beats swimming to Spinalonga which is just under 2k return distance at the narrowest point as it is very tiring coming back against the tide.

The Blue Palace is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year, they deserve all of their success so far and long may it continue.

Room Tip: Rooms 330 - 336 are not overlooked by the cable car and therefore the private pool remains private...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your detailed review of your recent and repeat visit to the Blue Palace.
I am delighted that since 2007 when you first stayed with us, we managed to meet your expectations and earn your trust and loyalty.
Along with the rest of our team, I was delighted to read such positive comments about your experience here with us. It is our pleasure to ensure our guests thoroughly enjoy their stay, and I am very pleased that we were able to assist in creating a memorable holiday for you.
Thank you once more for your continued support and I look forward to welcoming you back in 2014.

Hampshire
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My fiancée and I stayed here for one week in June and were absolutely delighted with every single aspect of this hotel, the accommodation, staff and food.

We are both very well travelled and have very high standards and expectations, however, this hotel exceeded our expectations!

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a luxury hotel with exceptional standards, staff and food...
I'd like to also mention that the guest services manager, Clare, who was simply wonderful, along with Nic and lots of the other delightful staff who made our week very magical.

We can't thank you enough and will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: It is definitely worth upgrading to a suite with private pool.
1 Thank nuttynorah
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor, following your recent stay.

It is particularly rewarding for me to read such a positive review that describes the friendliness and helpfulness of our team members. We work hard to ensure that throughout the hotel, our guests are as comfortable as possible, and at all times feel relaxed and pampered. I am so pleased that they were able to do just that for you, and it will be my absolute pleasure to share your comments with our team.
Thank you once again for your feedback and for recommending us to fellow travelers. It was our pleasure having you with us and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Blue Palace in the near future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Given the size of Crete and the great distances to cover, coming back to the Blue Palace is a wonderful respite after a long day of sightseeing. The rooms are simple, but totally nice, and the addition of a private pool outside our door was just lovely. The view is amazing and relaxing and we had a very restful few days.. The beach club, accessed by funicular, is a nice place to pass the day, and the spa is lovely as well. The pools at the hotel are very beautifully situated. The food at the hotel's taverna, The Blue Door, was excellent, as was the food at Flame, the steakhouse. The concierge and front desk staff were helpful and accommodating. We really enjoyed our time at the Blue Palace. If we ever return to Crete, we will definitely stay at the Blue Palace again.

Room Tip: Take a room with a private pool, it is worth it. Especially if you are visiting in summer time and t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback on your stay at the Blue Palace and I am delighted to learn that you had an enjoyable stay and plan to return.
We have a very dedicated team of people who take great pride in consistently offering an exceptional experience to our guests; therefore I was very glad to hear that you were taken good care of.
It will be our great pleasure to have you back on your next trip to Crete.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a week in early June. The hotel was great, the various pools and bars, the beach, the spa, the watersports centre etc all good. We stayed in an Island Suite, no 704 I think, which was worth every penny - very private, fantastic view, nicely decorated. The staff were helpful, friendly and polite. As others have noted, the only let down was the food, which, other than the very nice breakfast, was of a fairly average standard not in keeping with the standard set by the hotel itself - though it was priced as if it was. The Blue Door was ok, and the Flame was actually good, but even here it was let down by slightly by the service, which was very rushed - we were in and out in under an hour with 3 courses. This was the same in all the restaurants, even when they weren't busy. It would have been nice to spend a relaxed evening over a meal. You are much better off going to eat in Plaka, where there are various places to eat at differing prices, with much more atmosphere and better food. There is also a small shop here where you can by bottled water and beers cheaply. Room service is the best bet in the hotel - we had some lovely simple lunches on our terrace, and they provided a fantastic picnic for us when we rented a boat for the day (which I thoroughly recommend).

Room Tip: Luxury Island Suite is the way to go.
2 Thank tcooked
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on the Blue Palace and I am delighted that you were generally pleased with our resort.
I have identified from your feedback some improvements that can be made to improve our dining venues which I have made note of for future review.
Your rewarding comments have been passed to all staff who were equally pleased to receive them and we are looking forward to welcoming you back for another lovely holiday.

Sotiris Kremastiotis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elounda
Elounda Beach Hotel & Villas
Elounda Gulf Villas & Suites
Creta Maris Beach Resort
Creta Maris Beach Resort
#3 of 171 in Hersonissos

Been to Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete? Share your experiences!