“Good hotel but some nuances that stop it being a great hotel”

Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed at the blue palace for 7 days and had a superior room with sea view. The hotel has an amazing view across the bay to Spinalonga which you can't tire of looking at.

The rooms are great, large modern spacious and luxurious. We also had a great sized balcony to sit on with a table and chairs which were in the sun in the morning but in shade by 2pm. Really comfy bed great bathroom. Power showers are great and luxurious towels.

The beach and pool are good. The beach is not pebbly it is more like large stones and the sun beds are on decks set on the stones. The view is great, the sea is lovely, the sunbeds are the most luxurious I have ever seen! But it is slightly annoying to be constantly manoeuvring your sun bed on a deck with a fixed umbrella in the middle of it, placing some of the deck in the shade. I watched people do this all day the staff set you up in the morning but aren't to be found at 2pm when you need to move your bed 180 degrees.

The restaurants are good. As other reviewers say. Breakfast great buffet, flame is probably the best place for dinner a higher end restaurant. Blue door is a lovely setting and a more casual taverna style place, it is just paradise to sit and watch the sea and eat your dinner. The Italian isola is ok, high street pizza pasta food and is ok pizza express food. I would concur with other reviewers for a 5 star hotel the food is very average and below the mark. Quality of presentation and ingredients are very average indeed. Menu is ok in each place, I just think for a 5 star hotel you would and should expect more. Average isn't 5 star.

Service is excellent at the hotel staff are approachable and responsive to every need. But they seemed to lack motivation. I didn't see any of them smile they were very robotic in their service and didn't seem to be engaged and motivated and that came across. My suspicion is they lack management for example, every day as I walked into breakfast I watched guests myself included walk past the three managers who were more interested in talking to themselves and then try and find a table themselves. If my boss talked to himself and let guests walk by every morning not sure that is a great example and I would go that extra mile and deliver 5 star service! Management were nowhere to be seen other than their breakfast meeting! Only other comment on service is that food comes out quick at all restaurants we were in and out in 45-60 mins and had 3 courses. I think this was driven out of motivation to get more people into the restaurant. I think this isn't right for a 5 star hotel and did consider asking them to slow down. Btw book your restaurants in advance ie when you get there as everyone gravitates towards flame and blue door.

Final comment is Internet. 0.3 meg speed broadband is totally unusable both in lobby and also when you pay for it in the room. The bar in placa has 2 meg so it is probably the fact the hotel haven't invested in enough bandwidth. Again I would expect more of a 5 star hotel. It really is 0.1-0.3 meg I tested it daily as couldn't get it to work with a ping to Heraklion!

Over all this is a good hotel but these little finishing pieces stop it being a world class hotel or me using words like amazing or excellent.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank danjed
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Blue Palace.
Whilst I am delighted that we had the opportunity to look after you and note that you had a good stay with us, I was genuinely sorry to learn of your disappointments with part of our service and the wireless internet. I was surprised to know that our staff did not meet your expectations as far as service is concerned as they do work hard and are very committed to providing the highest levels of customer service in order to ensure all our guests have a truly memorable experience. However, I do appreciate your feedback, as this is the only way we have to truly measure and continuously improve the service we provide to our guests.
We would very much like to welcome you back to the Blue Palace during your future trips and ensure that you have an unforgettable stay.

Kind regards

Sotiris Kremastiotis

Write a ReviewReviews (1,776)

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Glass fell on the pool area because of the wind. They took so long to pick it up I ended up doing it. They were mad at me for cleaning it up, but didn't understand that there were shards of glass flying at people. Why did they have glass by the windy pool anyway?

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank haagensena
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving your comments on your stay at our resort.
I would like to apologize for any inconvenience this incident might have caused and thank you for choosing to stay at the Blue Palace.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

All i can say is what a place for a romantic get away. A generous size room, great bed, with a private infinity pool viewing over at Spinalonga Island. Stone tiled bathroom with a large soaker tub and shower looking out at the view... Take the cable car down to 1 of 2 pools and the beach ... Restaurants are excellent and the village of Plaka is walking distance from the hotel where you can enjoy fresh fish and wonderful Greek wine. Did i forget to mention the SPA? A must if you are travelling to Crete.

Room Tip: make sure you get one of the infinity pool rooms
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TedH1
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor.
Needless to say, I am delighted that you had such a wonderful stay with us as it is always a pleasure to receive such positive comments from our guests.
I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort in the future, for another memorable experience.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

The best holiday resort ever, the staff are amazingly nice, the hotel beautiful and the memories will fade so we are already planning our return! Love it! Facilities and service are impeccable, we keep going back! The weather was superb and it almost feels like the hotel organized it :-)

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mark H
sotikre, Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback on your recent stay with us and I am delighted to learn that you had such an amazing time and plan to return. I have passed your kind words to all the team which is very rewarding and we look forward to the next time we will have the opportunity to take care of you.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed at the Blue Palace for 11 nights in June. The hotel had arranged for our taxi from the airport and they had provided bottles of cool water and wet wipes which were most welcome. The welcome on arrival at the hotel was a taste of things to come. I can categorically say that the best thing about the hotel is the staff. Every member of staff that we had contact with were friendly, welcoming and more than willing to go the extra mile. In particular, our housekeeper was extremely helpful and friendly. And not to forget the room service guys - always smiling and gracious.
Breakfast is excellent - the buffet is plentiful and lots of variety, too numerous to mention - including pink or white champagne - the real stuff!
We had a room with its own infinity pool. The room was large and comfortable. The ensuite is excellent and provided first class toiletries. My only regret was that I didn't take my own hairdryer. A comment on here said that the hairdryer in the room was good but if like me, you have lots of hair, then I'd recommend you take your own dryer. The infinity pool was supposed to be warm but felt quite cool. However, on some very hot days, this was quite refreshing. The veranda to the pool is good but not a place to sunbathe after 1pm as it's in the shade by this point. The rooms all appear to look out to sea so have excellent views of the sea and Spinalonga Island.
The pools on the resort are excellent and the sunbathing areas more than adequate. The beach is pebbly so not good for the feet but if you want to swim, then there are 2 jetties provided to get into the sea. Looking out to sea, the steps on the left hand side of the jetty is easier to get out of the water than the one on the right!

Our only *dislike* about the resort (for want of a better word) is that we were not too impressed by the restaurants on site. The Greek restaurant we tried on our first night and I wasn't too impressed by the calmari as it wasn't crispy and very chewy. Also, we tried the Italian and found the pizza base hard but not in a good way. Maybe if they invested in a proper pizza oven, this might improve the baking. However, we tried the Flame restaurant twice and were very happy with the meal and the service. Everything is provided in a very relaxed atmosphere with a fantastic view looking out to sea. The steaks were fantastic. This was the most pricey restaurant but we think it was worth it.
Room service - the staff service was excellent but not quite so with the food. We had the lobster and mango salad one night - I believe this was frozen lobster and it all looked a bit mushy on the plate. However, the fruit and parma ham was excellent.

Taking all this in mind, we would definitely recommend this resort to anyone.

Just five mins walk away is the village of Plaka which has approximately 6 or 7 tavernas. We ate at 3 of them and they were all reasonably priced with very happy/smiley staff (are all the Greek people so happy?)

We took a boat trip from Elounda to Spinalonga - it was a hot walk around the island and there wasn't much to see in my opinion but we did get some good photo shots. Take a bottle of water with you if you visit.

We also took a Fun Train trip up the mountain to a Cretain village (the blue train). As one who doesn't have a head for heights, I was dreading the trip (my partner wanted to do it) but it was nowhere near as scary as I thought. The views were amazing and the guide was extremely knowledgeable. We visited a taverna in the village - we had bread, cheese, ham and fruit salad for two (which was delicious), bottle of water and half a caraf of wine all for 11 euros. The taverna even threw in complimentary yoghurt with topping.

In Elounda we visited The Ferryman taverna - the food was excellent but I think we were overcharged for the fish! We also had to pay for bread and a dessert, neither of which we had ordered. On visiting another taverna in Elounda we were given complimentary bread and butter, cake and even a glass of raki! I can't remember the name of the restaurant but it was close to the square with a road going through the middle of it. The staff were good fun in that restaurant.

Hope this helps any future travellers to the region.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank juttifrutti_uk

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your full and comprehensive review of your recent stay with us, I was thrilled that you were generally pleased with your stay. Our guest feedback is invaluable to us and helps us to enhance the experience and address the finer details so I do appreciate your comments which I have taken on board for future review. Your kind words about our staff is the reward we seek from our guests in our staffs continued effort to go out of their way to make your stay relaxing and unforgettable. Your compliments have been passed on to all the team who were indeed very grateful to receive them.
Thank you very much for recommending us to fellow travellers and we very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

This resourt & spa was the last part of our trip in Crete. In general - good feeling, luxury atmosphere, friendly staff and relevant to the stated level services: good Greek cosmetics provided in the rooms, room cleaning twice a day with weather forecast and facial wipes, great breakfast with champagne and of course beautiful sea view, nice spa area with all the services. ALthough, there were couple minuses that may spoil all the ***** atmosphere: all the restaurants on the territory of the resourt are very average. Not proportional to the prices. There is no internet in the rooms, no kettler as in all Hotels starting from ***, you have to order tea in your room which is double price. This is unappropriate for the Resourt of such level. All in all infrustructure is great and very convinient.

Room Tip: go to Plaka for the fresh seafood variaty, its a village very close by to Elounda Blue Palace resour...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your recent stay at the Blue Palace.
Although I was truly glad to read that you enjoyed the magnificent views and our service was up to your expectations, it is truly regrettable that you were not fully satisfied with your dining experience. It is great to learn from each of our guest experiences and your review highlights the areas you truly enjoyed, as well as those we need to focus on improving. I appreciate your remarks regarding our restaurants and I have noted them for future review.
It was our pleasure having you with us and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We spend 7 days at the Blue Palace in early June. if there were 6 stars I would give it to this hotel. We had exceptional service, fabulous breakfast and a view that could not be beat. Everyone remember our names and what we like. I was injured in Plaka by a motorcycle (did not look both ways before crossing the street) and the hotel summonsed Dr Alexandra who took very good care of me. Everyone from the hotel manager to the servers in the pool lounge went out of their way to be kind. I was so relaxed and comfortable that it was hard to leave. The facilities are superb, spotless and luxurious.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool. The view is worth the extra.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I sincerely thank you for your outstanding review. It was wonderful to read all your lovely words about our resort.
It is great to know that despite your accident which I was sorry to hear you had, our staff and doctor attended your needs and helped in making you feel comfortable and enjoying your stay. It will be my pleasure to pass on your words of praise to all the team who will be very happy to know they provided such a memorable experience.
I do hope you will give us the pleasure to welcome you back to Blue Palace for another unforgettable and relaxing holiday.

Sotiris Kremastiotis

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elounda
Royal Marmin Bay Boutique & Art Hotel
Elounda Garden Suites
Elounda Garden Suites
#1 of 35 in Elounda
Elounda Mare Relais & Chateaux hotel
Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection
Tui Sensimar Elounda Village Resort & Spa by Aquila
St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas

Been to Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete? Share your experiences!