We stayed at the blue palace for 7 days and had a superior room with sea view. The hotel has an amazing view across the bay to Spinalonga which you can't tire of looking at.
The rooms are great, large modern spacious and luxurious. We also had a great sized balcony to sit on with a table and chairs which were in the sun in the morning but in shade by 2pm. Really comfy bed great bathroom. Power showers are great and luxurious towels.
The beach and pool are good. The beach is not pebbly it is more like large stones and the sun beds are on decks set on the stones. The view is great, the sea is lovely, the sunbeds are the most luxurious I have ever seen! But it is slightly annoying to be constantly manoeuvring your sun bed on a deck with a fixed umbrella in the middle of it, placing some of the deck in the shade. I watched people do this all day the staff set you up in the morning but aren't to be found at 2pm when you need to move your bed 180 degrees.
The restaurants are good. As other reviewers say. Breakfast great buffet, flame is probably the best place for dinner a higher end restaurant. Blue door is a lovely setting and a more casual taverna style place, it is just paradise to sit and watch the sea and eat your dinner. The Italian isola is ok, high street pizza pasta food and is ok pizza express food. I would concur with other reviewers for a 5 star hotel the food is very average and below the mark. Quality of presentation and ingredients are very average indeed. Menu is ok in each place, I just think for a 5 star hotel you would and should expect more. Average isn't 5 star.
Service is excellent at the hotel staff are approachable and responsive to every need. But they seemed to lack motivation. I didn't see any of them smile they were very robotic in their service and didn't seem to be engaged and motivated and that came across. My suspicion is they lack management for example, every day as I walked into breakfast I watched guests myself included walk past the three managers who were more interested in talking to themselves and then try and find a table themselves. If my boss talked to himself and let guests walk by every morning not sure that is a great example and I would go that extra mile and deliver 5 star service! Management were nowhere to be seen other than their breakfast meeting! Only other comment on service is that food comes out quick at all restaurants we were in and out in 45-60 mins and had 3 courses. I think this was driven out of motivation to get more people into the restaurant. I think this isn't right for a 5 star hotel and did consider asking them to slow down. Btw book your restaurants in advance ie when you get there as everyone gravitates towards flame and blue door.
Final comment is Internet. 0.3 meg speed broadband is totally unusable both in lobby and also when you pay for it in the room. The bar in placa has 2 meg so it is probably the fact the hotel haven't invested in enough bandwidth. Again I would expect more of a 5 star hotel. It really is 0.1-0.3 meg I tested it daily as couldn't get it to work with a ping to Heraklion!
Over all this is a good hotel but these little finishing pieces stop it being a world class hotel or me using words like amazing or excellent.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the wild beauty and unrivalled island style of a bohemian luxe resort with emblematic sea views, crystal clear waters, sparkling infinity pools, world class cuisine and bespoke services. All this combined with the resort's beach experience create a unique setting , where time seems to stand still. Blue Palace, a setting of wild grandeur. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Priceline, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Palace Hotel Elounda
- Blue Palace Resort And Spa
- Blue Palace Resort & Spa
- Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete Elounda