Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete
Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Paradise”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We spend 7 days at the Blue Palace in early June. if there were 6 stars I would give it to this hotel. We had exceptional service, fabulous breakfast and a view that could not be beat. Everyone remember our names and what we like. I was injured in Plaka by a motorcycle (did not look both ways before crossing the street) and the hotel summonsed Dr Alexandra who took very good care of me. Everyone from the hotel manager to the servers in the pool lounge went out of their way to be kind. I was so relaxed and comfortable that it was hard to leave. The facilities are superb, spotless and luxurious.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool. The view is worth the extra.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
sotikre, Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

I sincerely thank you for your outstanding review. It was wonderful to read all your lovely words about our resort.
It is great to know that despite your accident which I was sorry to hear you had, our staff and doctor attended your needs and helped in making you feel comfortable and enjoying your stay. It will be my pleasure to pass on your words of praise to all the team who will be very happy to know they provided such a memorable experience.
I do hope you will give us the pleasure to welcome you back to Blue Palace for another unforgettable and relaxing holiday.

Sotiris Kremastiotis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My wife and I are very fussy when it comes to hotels - yet we couldn't pick a single fault about this place. The service, rooms, food, views and pools were exceptional. We mentioned it was our honeymoon and come back at the end of the day to find a bottle of Champaign on ice and a bath ran with flower peddles floating in it. Great touch. Champaign served at breakfast each day made a nice start to the day also :)

Only thing I would do differently is perhaps skip the Asia Blue restaurant they have… not very authentic.

Over all - definitely recommend! Didn't want to leave.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tyr0nb
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting such a positive review and for choosing to stay with us.
It was our great pleasure to look after you. We love to make our guests special occasions feel even more memorable by offering them the special touches you mention. We are very dedicated in making each and every guest stay as unique as possible and I am truly glad we achieved that on this very important celebration of your life.
It was a pleasure to have you with us and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Crete.

London
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

We went to the lovely blue palace for our honeymoon in June 2013 and it certainly didn't disappoint. From the moment we landed in Crete to the moment we left we had an amazing time.
The blue palace is an excellent hotel located in a perfect place, 5 minute walk to plaka, which we did nearly everyday for a carafe of wine (4.50 euros) and some nibbles, all very reasonable although we tended to go to the carab tree (centre of the village) and giovannis on the seafront. We also visited elounda for a couple of meals which is a 7euro taxi ride away, perfect for a change of scene. We tried the ferryman restaurant which was lovely but expensive!
The hotels food was exceptional, the breakfast had everything you could possibly want from striking colourful fruit to freshly made waffles. All of the hotels restaurants were lovely although our favourite had to be flame, the steaks were to die for and the view lovely.
The rooms were kept to a great standard with maid service twice a day and very comfortable beds. The bathroom was sizeable and full of all the mod cons you could want, including a tv to watch whilst you are in the bath!
The only downside of this hotel is the price of the drinks, with a glass of wine costing 7euros. I know it's a 5* hotel so I expected this and we went to plaka instead however would have been nice to have a night in with a little less cost.
Overall I wouldn't hesitate to suggest this to friends and family and would love to return! I already miss the Greek way of life and the food...

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank KMP_8
sotikre, Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us to celebrate your honeymoon and I am so pleased that you had such a wonderful time on this special occasion.
It is always nice to learn that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay including dinner and breakfast and I am thrilled that our housekeeping services met your expectations.
Once again thank you for recommending us to others and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Blue palace for another perfect holiday.

Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I organised a work trip with 17 delegates to the Blue Palace in June this year. I have to say it was one of the smoothest trips I have ever organised. The hotel staff were totally fantastic - especially Katerina & Barbara, but all the staff in the restaurants, at reception, on the beach and in the bars were superb. Incredibly friendly, extremely helpful and it felt like they were very passionate about creating a good experience for all of their guests. The food in most of the restaurants was very good & very fresh, especially the Blue Door, which was a great Greek experience. All the rooms we had were very clean with fantastic views of the sea and the Island. The meeting area was great, well catered and looked after, much like the rest of the hotel. Getting around the hotel did sometimes feel a little difficult - it was a little confusing getting to the rooms, the service could also be a little slow, but that was more to do with us being a larger group than most there. It was a fantastic experience overall and I would love to go back. Thank you to everyone there for making it a great trip, and making my life easier!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

My most sincere thanks for your excellent comments about the Blue Palace.
I was very pleased to read your review knowing that our staff took good care of you, as that is the reward we seek from our guests in our staffs continued effort to go out of their way to make your stay relaxing and unforgettable. Your compliments have been passed on to all the teams who were delighted to receive them.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Blue Palace and I truly look forward to have you back for another great holiday.

London
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We had an excellent stay at The Blue Palace. Having booked half board we were fortunate o be offered access to all four of the on site restaurants: Asia Blue (4 our of 10, why doe asian in Greece?), Flame (7 out of 10, great meat and fish), Blue Door ( 8 out of 10, good greek fair) and Isola (3 out of 10, why do Italian food in Greece?). But all of that was probably better than eating in the buffet each evening.

The buffet restaurant provided breakfast each morning (10 out of 10). Greta food and wonderful service.

We stayed in a standard room .... and that was wonderful, so if your budget takes you higher feel free to spend it, but there maybe not much need to have your own pool room. If you do want this facility ask for a room that is as far away from the railway as possible. The railway is question carries you from beach front to the various villa levels.... it's slow... but hey you are on holiday and soon get used to it.

Lunch at the poolside!! Avoid at all costs. It's expensive and absolutely terrible. Come on Starwood sort it out!! It's better to take a 10 minute walk into the local village.... but don't expect a cheap meal there either. Great quality though and lovely service in a couple of the places. Whilst in town buy some supplies..... water, beer, etc.. and put them in the fridge in your room.

All in all we had a lovely stay, would repeat the visit and enjoyed the sun.

Room Tip: Stay away from the railway.
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your feedback. It is great to know that you have very much enjoyed your stay with us.
We love to indulge all of our guests and I am delighted to read that we have fulfilled your expectations in terms of services. However, I was disappointed to learn that we fell short of your expectations regarding your lunch at the poolside which I have made note of for future review.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Blue Palace.

Chester
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed last September.
As the hotel is a good 50 min walk or 7 euro's in a taxi from Elounda harbour and not knowing anything about Plaka which is 5 min walk away we decided to book half board which worked out quite a bit cheaper than paying on the night.
Our room with pool was on the same level as the Flame restaurant.
I would not recommend these rooms with pool 308-314 and 315-321 as they are over looked by the tram.
I think our room was 138 which was half way between the breakfast restaurant and the beach. This meant we did not have to wait for the tram, which was a bit slow. Also the path down to the beach, which a lot of people could not find, passes by the Flame restaurant.

Breakfast was fantastic and you would not need to eat until evening.
Asia Blue was OK but as other have said check how much you are paying for the water, when I asked for a bottle of water I did not know they had a water menu and ended up with the most expensive bottle, not that it was a lot of money.

Flame, if you pay on the night was quite expensive and we were both disappointed with our meal.

Blue Door is a converted fisherman's cottage so all the tables are outside and almost on the beach because the kitchen take up all the space inside.
We loved the food here and view across to Spinalonga. I would say the food was rustic Greek.
This restaurant can be closed if the weather is bad.
Isola restaurant was ok
The wine can cost up to several hundred euro's but the house wine was about 15 euro's
2 whiskey and ginger cast about 20 euro's.

The room was of a very high standard but I would not book it with a pool in September as the pool was quite cold.

The 2 main pools were very nice, so save the money you would have spent on the private pool and spend it in the hotel.
Have a pre dinner drink at the Arsenali bar and enjoy the views.

Staff, hotel, location, cleanliness of hotel rooms a grounds are all excellent.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Keith E
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review which is greatly appreciated and I am glad that you had a wonderful time.
It was pleasing to note that you felt we provided a great experience in a great location and that our staff took good care of you. I will certainly pass on your comments to the team.
We look forward to seeing you soon for another enjoyable and relaxing time.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Blue Palace is an excellent hotel, with 5* facilities. The location was perfect for a quiet getaway.

Plaka, a small fishing village 5 minutes walk from the hotel, has a some good family run tavernas and gift shops. Elounda (5 min taxi ride €10) has much greater choice of restaurants and bars. Whilst the hotel facilities are good, the inhouse restaurants are a little over-priced for the quality, the Greek restaurant (Blue Door) having an almost fast food feel to it. The standard of the lcoal tavernas is very high. I would definitely recommend the Ferryman in Elounda, but it's worth booking in advance as it's a limited capacity outside and very popular.

The service at the hotel was good, but some services that you might see provided with compliments and without effort at other high-end establishments , demanded payment. The rooms were also of a high standard with regular room service and turn down. To get the more private rooms, make sure that you are not close to the fernicular as well those with a private pool, which are all overlooked.

Room Tip: Not close to the fernicular and don't pay extra for the private pool if you want privacy
2 Thank Richard T
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review following your visit to the Blue Palace and thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Crete. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us, enjoyed the location and felt relaxed. It was a pleasure to have you with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Sotiris Kremastiotis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elounda
Elounda Beach Hotel & Villas
Royal Marmin Bay Boutique & Art Hotel
Elounda Garden Suites
Elounda Garden Suites
#1 of 35 in Elounda
Caramel Grecotel Boutique Resort
Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection
Tui Sensimar Elounda Village Resort & Spa by Aquila

Been to Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete? Share your experiences!