We've stayed at the Blue Palace before and we were eager to return to this delightful resort tucked into the steep hills of Elunda. We always ask the hotel to arrange for a taxi to pick us up at the airport since we have no need to drive once we arrive at the hotel. We were greeted by staff as the cab pulled in and we found the service to be just as anticipatory and just as seamless as it was in the past. Everyone is friendly here. Our room looked out over the bay at the magical and mysterious island of Spinalonga and we encourage everyone to read The Island by Victoria Hislop before you arrive since it gives an intimate portrait of Spinalonga and the fishing village at the foot of the hill called Plaka.
We come here to unwind and the charming beach, pools, spa and beautiful location all contribute to that sense of relaxation. You must spend an afternoon wandering around the nearby town of Elunda where you can stop for a light lunch at any of the many waterfront taverns where the food is always good and the prices range from cheap to reasonable. The very best tip we can share is to wander down the hill (a ten minute walk) to Plaka in the evening for dinner at one of the restaurants – our favorites being Giorgios and Captain Nikolas. The food is wonderful, the service casual and the prices more than reasonable. The breeze blows in from the bay and do not be surprised when the occasional town cat wanders in for a snack. If you return to the same restaurant the next night you will be greeted like family. By the end of the night you will know the staff by name and you will likely be involved in conversations with neighboring diners from around the world. It is the way things are done in Plaka.
Without fail we would end our evenings in the stunningly beautiful cocktail lounge off the main lobby of the Blue Palace which overlooks the entire property. From the comfy overstuffed chairs and sofas you sip your drink as you look over the dancing lights below and the brilliant stars twinkling in the clear skies above.
The Blue Palace is a combination of great design, great service and great location. Thank you management and staff for yet another wonderful visit and we will be back again in another two years or so.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the wild beauty and unrivalled island style of a bohemian luxe resort with emblematic sea views, crystal clear waters, sparkling infinity pools, world class cuisine and bespoke services. All this combined with the resort's beach experience create a unique setting , where time seems to stand still. Blue Palace, a setting of wild grandeur. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Palace Hotel Elounda
- Blue Palace Resort And Spa
- Blue Palace Resort & Spa
- Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete Elounda