Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Omg what amazing place here on honeymoon and certainly couldn't have dreamt of better nearly at the end of our stay and I will be sorry to leave. The staff here are ALL wonderful and helpful and provide a 5 star service at all times the room is brilliant we have a private pool which I wish the water was warmer because its too cold to really use.
If your looking for somewhere out of this world where you can relax and the team can't do enough for you then this is the place to go. It's is in the middle of nowhere and there is very little to do other then relax and enjoy the fantastic view and comfort of this wonderful place.
I would love to meet the person who dreamt this place up and made a little piece of paradise on earth
The restaurants are abit expensive but the food and service is wonderful the finger food in the Arsenali bar could be reviewed as there really is a VERY limited choice and got abit boring after the third day.
Obviously not everything will be to everyone's choice but I think they have really tried to make it a haven on earth some little things that are more to individual preferences but on a whole I really can't fault blue palace infact I'm amazed every morning by the wonderful views as I open the curtains
Will we be back ? Absolutely
Elounda village is only a few minutes down the road and costs €7 there and €7 back and there are some wonderful little shops and restaurants to enjoy if you want to get out and see something different.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amira H
sotikre, Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your honeymoon at Blue Palace Resort & Spa and thank you for sharing your feedback with us.
We aim to provide the best possible service, going above and beyond our guest’s expectations. We have an excellent team at the Blue Palace and I am glad to hear that you thought this was the case.
We welcome any kind of constructive criticism from our guests and therefore I have taken on board your useful comments regarding the Arsenali menu for future review.
I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Sotiris Kremastiotis

Write a ReviewReviews (1,776)

Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

I stayed there with my two sons for five nights, till the 2nd of October.
The hotel is beautiful, the staff is nice helpfull, kind and usefull.
I took a room with a heated pool, turned out to be a smart decision.
Hotel facilities are quite costly but them everything in Greece is expensive these days.
The water sport was the highest expenditure , 100 Euro per round on four kids in a chair.
The food is nice, not amazing but good.
We rented a car, so we drove to Elonda for food.
I would go there again.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Udi1962

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.
I was pleased that you and your sons enjoyed a wonderful experience and felt that our quality of product met your expectations, which was equally matched by the genuine friendly manner of service.
Thank you once again for your kind comments and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

The resort lives up to it's good reviews. The staff throughout the resort were very friendly, efficient and helpful from reception, the restaurants down to the beach. The restaurants were all very good as well, the Greek one being our favourite both in terms of setting and food. And the views of Spinalonga were amazing! Plaka is a lovely village just a few minutes walk away and Elounda a 5 minute taxi ride away.

The only negative was the funicular, it was the only way we could find to get from the reception, bar, breakfast area to our room or the beach without going on the road. It was slow and you often had to wait a long time for it, if there had been steps/ a path in addition it would have been a great help.

I would highly recommend the resort if you want a peaceful stay and easy access to Spinalonga.

2  Thank PracticallyPerfect74
sotikre, Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Blue Palace.
It was a pleasure reading that our staff took good care of you and it is much appreciated by me and all of our teams.
With regard to the funicular I understand how it might sometimes strike as slow but I would kindly note that its speed is set by the manufacturer according to safety regulations and safety is very important to us and always comes first. However, we are more than happy to offer our guests a lift on a hotel club car to wherever they please in the resort.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife and I have recently returned from a seven night stay at the Blue Palace Resort and Spa for which we have mixed feelings. The hotel room (we chose the option of a superior bungalow with sea view) was what I would prefer to describe as an apartment with sea view. We did not really notice the superiority of the room given that it was supposed to be a five star standard. It was very nice, decorated nicely with a very smart bathroom but then I would expect the same from any four + star rated hotel.

We were most disappointed that there was no tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Room service was available for such but we believed the service charge to be extortionate.

I do not know how star ratings are awarded in Crete/Greece but I do know that we have stayed in five star hotels throughout the world partically in other regions of the EC that differ vastly from the Blue Palace and Four Star Hotels that would equally and better the facilities the hotel has to offer. My own personal opinion would be the hotel is 4 star plus five star prices.

If we had chosen the superior bungalow (apartment) with pool then I would most definitely have been disappointed. All the pools that I could see were South East, East or North Easterly Facing which reflected in not having sun on them after midday. The pools were also adjoining your neighbour’s pool and overlooked by the balcony of the superior bungalow (apartment) above yours therefore, offered little privacy. In other hotels with the same facility we have had them called dip pools.

The hotels own website describes the beach to be pebbly The oxford Dictionary describes a pebble to be:
Definition of pebble
noun
• a small stone made smooth and round by the action of water or sand:

I would not therefore describe the beach to be pebbly. The stones were anything from three or four inches round upwards to about eight inches round. No doubt they will become a small stone made smooth and round by the action of water or sand in a few thousand more years but not quite yet. The hotel website also describes the beach to have expansive grass areas. The Oxford Dictionary describes the word expansive to reflect:

iDefinition of expansive
adjective
• covering a wide area in terms of space or scope; extensive: expansive beaches

We did see a couple of grassed areas however; they were by no means expansive to the aforementioned definition. There were plenty of sunbeds and the beach staff issuing the towels can only be described as really pleasant and courteous attending to your every need. The beach pool was very good and clean. There was so much salt in the pool you could literally float keeping absolutely still a feature I have only achieved in the Caribbean Sea.

All the hotel staff that we came into contact with were very pleasant and courteous going out of their way to assist.

Resturants
The Blue Door Restaurant is described as a ‘Traditional Greek Taverna’ we only dined there the once due to being disappointed by the food served. Staff were really nice but the food did not match the expectations that we had expected from a traditional Greek Taverna which we have enjoyed so much over the years.

We visited the Flame Restaurant on most occasions due to the fact the food was very good. We were on a half board basis and the majority of the main meals did not incur any extra charges however, there was an extra charge for some dishes such as Rib Eye and Fillet Steaks ranging from 2.95 to 6.95 Euro. The portions were very large and my wife and I could only manage the main course and desert avoiding the starter due to their size. It must be noted however that the service appeared to be quite (even when not really busy) slow and other guests confirmed such in our conversations.

I was not impressed with the Italian Restaurant visiting only once my wife, enjoyed her meal (salmon) I did not enjoy my meal the beef burger. The Asian Restaurant was not Visited by us hence we cannot make a comment.

It must be noted that you are required to book the restaurant for your dining and that would usually mean the day prior to obtain your preferred time.

Be expected to pay rather over inflated prices for wine in the restaurants in fact, you can have a good meal out in the local Taverna’s in Plaka ( a 15 minute walk) for the price of a decent bottle of wine. Therefore, it would be a consideration to visit the hotel on a bed and breakfast option.

Bar prices were again unbelievably extortionate a small beer (Draft) was 4.50 Euro and a bottle of San Miguel 7.20 Euro.

We stayed at the hotel at the end of September which was not exactly busy however; we found the cable car annoying. What it is like at the height of summer when the hotel is busy we do not wish to know. The hotel is spread over a steep hill and would be difficult walking up to the top.

Bar Prices:

Greek wines by the glass from 6.90

Bar Finger Menu

Coconut Shrimps Souvlaki – 16.00
Mediterranean Club Sandwich – 16.50
Toast or Sandwich with white or brown bread, with Smoked Ham Gouda Cheese and tomato – 11.20
Hamburger or Cheeseburger with French Fries – 19.00

Would we visit again? Not with our experience of other luxury hotels that would offer an equally and better service with better rates along with a week’s bar bill. Services on offer from the hotel was also very expensive.
___________________________________________________

i http://www.bluepalace.gr/en/beach-pools 30/09/12, 16:33
ii http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/pebble, 30/09/12,16:31

Room Tip: Maybe in another hotel.
6  Thank S1CEN
sotikre, Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Guest,

I appreciate the time taken to post your feedback from your stay at the Blue Palace.
It is truly regrettable that we did not meet your expectations and standards.
Although, I was surprised to read that you found our restaurants to be less than average, I am very sorry that your meals did not live up to the level of quality that you have come to expect from our outlets.
However, as we welcome any kind of constructive criticism I appreciate your comments regarding our restaurants, bar and funicular and haven taken them into serious consideration for future reference.
I truly hope this unfortunate encounter will not deter you from visiting us again and that you will give us the chance to restore your faith in our services.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Our overall trip to Greece was absolutely amazing until our last stop at the Blue Palace. Our room was just average, but the absolute shocker was that we had large worms in our shower and in our room and also climbing the walls in the hallway. Upon our request we were placed in another room and the very same problem occurred. The next day we were upgraded to a suite, and yes you guessed it-worms! The hotel said it was due to the high humidity. Our travels always include 5-star hotels with superb accommodations as well as service, but this hotel is definitely one I would like to forget!

5  Thank Debra S
sotikre, Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback with regards to your stay at the Blue Palace.
I was sorry to read that you felt your room was average. Reference the worms you mention may I kindly note that they actually do appear from time to time firstly because we are located in the countryside and furthermore due to humid weather. As you can understand they are part of the natural habitat of the area and there is not much we can do to avoid them. However, I understand your slight concern but I can assure you they are small and harmless.
Thank you for choosing to spend your holidays with us and I hope I will get the chance to welcome you back in the future.

General MAnager

Reviewed September 29, 2012

We celebrated our silver wedding anniversary at the Blue Palace in September. From start to finish the holiday was pure luxury. We had a suite with pool and a lovely view across the bay to Spinalonga. Loved all the restaurants and service was first class. What made the holiday was the friendliness of all the staff in the resort. They always had a smile and a friendly greeting and nothing was too much. I would recommend this hotel for anybody wanting a luxury break in a beautiful setting with first class service with a smile.

Room Tip: Any room with a private pool is wonderful
1  Thank AngelaC577
sotikre, Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review regarding your recent stay at our resort.
I was truly happy to read that you chose to spend such an important occasion of your life in our hotel and that you were well taken care of. Our staff always shows commitment and passion for hospitality and reviews like yours just show our place in it.
I appreciate you recommending the Blue Palace to fellow travelers and I hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back for many more unforgettable anniversaries.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

I always love Greece. I love the food, the wine, the people, the deep blue sea and the dry heat. I've stayed in quite a few special spots of the world and The Blue Palace location is definitely one of them. Just a little overview, our trip was a fairly last minute decision following the London Olympics as a result we didn't want to spend too much money and so opted for a bungalow with sea view. I don't know the history of the hotel but my initial impression was that it was built some time ago (think 1970s concrete jungle replete with funicular), but don't let that sway you because it has also been terrifically updated and very much in keeping to its Cretan roots with lots of light stone, rock, tile, woods and colours of the Med but with all of the modern conveniences. And unlike many other island hotels it has stable Wifi, good plumbing and power showers (we stayed in room 385, and I see from other reviews that water temp and pressure may vary, I'm not sure why this is but ours was above average good).

Initially I was unsure about the look of the place, being so vast and built on the side of a hill with lots of blocky looking structures all higgledy piggledy making for a confusing labyrinth of winding walkways, stairs and vast distance to traverse to restaurants, bars, beach and spa. However, the very positive flip side is that there was plenty of space and the hotel never seemed too crowded (we were there in September and this experience might be very different in peak Summer season). There were plenty of fun things for kids, although I think you should be aware that the numerous stairs and a very rocky type beach will be difficult with toddlers (no sand castles here!) and unstable seniors. Despite my iffy first impressions, this place really grew on me! Here's a further breakdown of why:

THE ROOM: (PLUSES) Cathedral ceilings really made the room feel airy and classic modern furnishings with a neutral palate keeps the mood light and simple. The bathroom layout, marble floors and wood cabinetry gave it a very classy comfortable feel. The air-conditioning worked well (important in height of summer!). The safe was ample. Two bottles of water were given daily free of charge. (MINUSES) The closet space could have been bigger for 2 of us staying a week - another set of dresser drawers could have done the trick. THE BED WAS HARD AS A ROCK and I really didn't get much sleep all week. My already bad back was made worse and frankly if I ever make a return visit I will have to ensure that something has been done about this! And if we return we will definitely get a room with a private pool but not near the funicular! You've go to be a real exhibitionist for that.

THE FUNICULAR: Gets you up and down the hill without having to hike (Thank GOD!). I can imagine that in peak season this "elevator's" speed and availability may get frustrating (as I've seen on other reviews) so if you are an impatient type person this place not suit you but during our trip it was a very reasonable way to get between places, not too crowded and perfectly fine for the job.

FOOD:
BREAKFAST - Amazingly good breakfast served on a terrace with a fabulous view. What more can you want? A huge buffet with every kind of food for every culture, plus fresh made omelettes, crepes and waffles!
FLAME - Very nice atmosphere, though I could have done without the cheesy cruise ship style music (but the singer does have a truly lovely voice - I just don't want to hear "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree when I am in Greece for God's sake, or ever again for that matter. And/Or letting drunk Russian diners grab the mic for a bit of Karaoke while I'm still eating is bound to upset my digestion!). The steaks were really good, well cooked, but, on second visit I was already tired of the same roasted corn cob, aubergine and courgette I had just 2 nights before. But, the Cretan cheese cake for dessert was divine! I think more inventive things could be done here. In fact if you could entice a "Gordon Ramsey" of Greece to take over this place it really could be amazing! For me it was pretty good but average for the money. The service was friendly and efficient (same gals as at breakfast still working hard into the night!)
ISOLA - I wasn't keen on going here at first. I feared a a major carb load when I was basically doing next to nothing all day long but I'm glad we did, it was excellent! More could be done with the over pool atmosphere to make it more charming and intimate but the food was great. Again, service was friendly and efficient.
THE BLUE DOOR - This was our favourite spot. It is everything you want a Greek Taverna to be. A prime beach cliff location. Charming blue gingham table cloths with an intimate romantic layout. The food was spot on, very proud to be Cretan first and Greek second. The wine list was fabulously divided by "Indigenous" Cretan (and local island) varieties, then Indigenous/International blends, then by International varietals (i.e.the rest of the world, as if they didn't really matter). Lamb chops, Souvlaki Shrimp, Moussaka were all excellent and if I could I would package up all the Cretan yogurt that existed for that Tzaziki every night, I certainly would! The staff were super friendly and efficient and a couple of nights a week they have live Bouzouki music which just sets the whole mood perfectly. LUV'D!
ASIA BLUE: Never made it here. Simply can't understand why anyone would come all the way to Greece for Asian food. Its just not right!! Its there for visiting Corporates I guess...
THE BEACH BAR: Was adequate. We were disappointed that there were not more healthy options for lunching at the beach. With so much on offer for breakfast and dinner, we just wished for a simple salad to get us through the day. The service at the beach was very friendly but slow and if you weren't keeping an eye out to hail a waiter you'd get bypassed. A flag system or a simple "can I get you anything" once in a while would have been nice. The rose wine in the afternoon was Cretan and pretty darned good though!

THE SPA: (PLUSES) I would have gone to the Spa despite the hard bed situation (and believe me roping people into a Spa because of a hard bed is NOT the way to create loyalty!). We each were very happy with our respective Masseuses (and I've had alot of massages in my life) and the Spa itself is very comfortable and fully equipped. Because we had purchased massages, we were offered a free hour in the Thallasso pool, which has to be one of the best and most hilarious spa experiences I've ever had! Imagine water cannons blasting your tired muscles after all of those tough days lounging under the sun. FAB! (MINUES) Not having the ladies loo in the dressing room was a bit odd and the locker room in general was looking and feeling a bit tired. Overall though this was a very nice Spa!

POOLS: I never got into one (I'm a dedicated beach girl) but they all looked very clean and inviting.

THE BEACH: As I said, I don't think the beach is very good for toddlers but wonderful for able bodied adults - Precisely because there aren't many kids there! Each lounge area is designated by decking over fairly large rocks with stable shady grass umbrellas with 2 sun beds at each station. Again the sun beds are also hard but adequate (the white sun beds at the top bar pool are terrific and I can't understand why the beach beds are not of the same quality?). The bay is extremely clean and clear and the views are spectacular! Without any wave activity it is easy to swim and snorkel. Truly a spectacular setting!!

So for all of my moaning about hard beds - if this one major problem were resolved we'd be back in a heart beat - I think Blue Palace is a pretty special place and definitely worth your visit too!!

Room Tip: We stayed in 385 which was great for being out of the fray and a fairly unobstructed view but near t...
2  Thank ComplexityQ

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review of your visit to the Blue Palace. I am sure it will be very helpful to others considering a trip.
Whilst I am delighted that we had the opportunity to look after you and note that you had a nice time with us, I am genuinely sorry to read of your disappointments with the music at Flame restaurant, the service at the beach bar and the sun beds. On that note, may I kindly mention that we have already included the guest room beds and the beach sun beds to our winter maintenance schedule in order to either maintain them or replace. Your suggestions for improvement regarding each department of the hotel have been taken on board and have been included in our future matters to be reviewed.
I was delighted that you found your dining experience at Isola and Blue Door to be excellent and I have already passed on your compliments to the staff you mention to have taken good care of you.
I appreciate your vote of confidence by recommending our resort to other travelers and hopefully I will get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Sotiris Kremastiotis

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elounda
Royal Marmin Bay Boutique & Art Hotel
Elounda Garden Suites
Elounda Garden Suites
#1 of 35 in Elounda
Elounda Mare Relais & Chateaux hotel
Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection
Tui Sensimar Elounda Village Resort & Spa by Aquila
St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas

Been to Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete? Share your experiences!