During a one month trip to Greece, the first 2 weeks in Crete (in May 2011 - NOT October), my boyfriend and I splurged for one night here to celebrate my 60th birthday in an elegant, special way, and the Blue Palace did not disappoint. I had spotted the Blue Palace's picture in a magazine and knew I wanted to go there. It really does look like the picture.
The grounds, especially the reflecting pool and high arches along the lounge and bar patio, are elegant with a great view across to the island of Spinalonga, and made me feel uplifted and pampered just by being there. You can't use the restaurants unless you stay there, so we stayed for that reason and were glad we did. The patio/bar was the perfect place to wear a long Athena gown and have a glass of wine at sunset. The pictures we took there, with the arches behind us, drinking wine in our elegant clothes, became the iconic images of our trip to Greece. The restaurant down the hill, I think the Blue Door, had a great view and good food. It was too cold in mid-May to eat outside as we had hoped, but being inside there was perfect, and they pampered us. We had friends who were staying in a town nearby whom we wanted to join us for the birthday dinner, and they let them join us although they don't usually allow it. It was amazing to be here with my partner and good friends.
We made great use of the resort - the afternoon we got there, we sunbathed (topless!) down in the lounge chairs by the beach, and dipped into the infinity pool before we got ready for dinner. Our room was an upstairs bedroom and living room with a balcony - upstairs with an awesome bathtub with a view - very upscale and clean with rich linens, but pretty normal nice hotel like. I imagine all the rooms are good because they all face the sea. If it had been warmer we might have eaten on the balcony. However, I'm glad we spent most of our time out on the grounds. We enjoyed the excellent buffet breakfast on the sunny patio, and just sitting in the sun reading on the lounge chairs of the patio. The best part was that our checkout time was noon, but they let us stay all day and use the patio and pool and beach, so we felt like we had 2 days there. The pool is beautiful and the beach area has nice lounge chairs with palapas as umbrellas. The swimming in the sea from the pier was easy and refreshing.
Needless to say, we were so glad we had splurged for it - it was definitely worth the memories. I should say that finding out that the island of Spinalonga, the main view from the resort, had been a leper colony made it slightly uncomfortable to enjoy the riches of the resort—I had to hold two different eras and realities in my mind and heart at once, as the developers of the resort must have been doing when they built this. However, I still highly recommend staying at the Blue Palace. I recommend the book, "The Island," for a great novel to help understand those sad days of Spinalonga.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the wild beauty and unrivalled island style of a bohemian luxe resort with emblematic sea views, crystal clear waters, sparkling infinity pools, world class cuisine and bespoke services. All this combined with the resort's beach experience create a unique setting , where time seems to stand still. Blue Palace, a setting of wild grandeur. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, Bookgreece.com and getaroom.com so you can book your Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Palace Hotel Elounda
- Blue Palace Resort And Spa
- Blue Palace Resort & Spa
- Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete Elounda