“Fulfills Luxurious Mediterranean Palace Fantasy”

Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Elounda
Oakland, California
“Fulfills Luxurious Mediterranean Palace Fantasy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

During a one month trip to Greece, the first 2 weeks in Crete (in May 2011 - NOT October), my boyfriend and I splurged for one night here to celebrate my 60th birthday in an elegant, special way, and the Blue Palace did not disappoint. I had spotted the Blue Palace's picture in a magazine and knew I wanted to go there. It really does look like the picture.

The grounds, especially the reflecting pool and high arches along the lounge and bar patio, are elegant with a great view across to the island of Spinalonga, and made me feel uplifted and pampered just by being there. You can't use the restaurants unless you stay there, so we stayed for that reason and were glad we did. The patio/bar was the perfect place to wear a long Athena gown and have a glass of wine at sunset. The pictures we took there, with the arches behind us, drinking wine in our elegant clothes, became the iconic images of our trip to Greece. The restaurant down the hill, I think the Blue Door, had a great view and good food. It was too cold in mid-May to eat outside as we had hoped, but being inside there was perfect, and they pampered us. We had friends who were staying in a town nearby whom we wanted to join us for the birthday dinner, and they let them join us although they don't usually allow it. It was amazing to be here with my partner and good friends.

We made great use of the resort - the afternoon we got there, we sunbathed (topless!) down in the lounge chairs by the beach, and dipped into the infinity pool before we got ready for dinner. Our room was an upstairs bedroom and living room with a balcony - upstairs with an awesome bathtub with a view - very upscale and clean with rich linens, but pretty normal nice hotel like. I imagine all the rooms are good because they all face the sea. If it had been warmer we might have eaten on the balcony. However, I'm glad we spent most of our time out on the grounds. We enjoyed the excellent buffet breakfast on the sunny patio, and just sitting in the sun reading on the lounge chairs of the patio. The best part was that our checkout time was noon, but they let us stay all day and use the patio and pool and beach, so we felt like we had 2 days there. The pool is beautiful and the beach area has nice lounge chairs with palapas as umbrellas. The swimming in the sea from the pier was easy and refreshing.

Needless to say, we were so glad we had splurged for it - it was definitely worth the memories. I should say that finding out that the island of Spinalonga, the main view from the resort, had been a leper colony made it slightly uncomfortable to enjoy the riches of the resort—I had to hold two different eras and realities in my mind and heart at once, as the developers of the resort must have been doing when they built this. However, I still highly recommend staying at the Blue Palace. I recommend the book, "The Island," for a great novel to help understand those sad days of Spinalonga.

Room Tip: I think we were upgraded to a suite, and I don't know how, and I think all the rooms have views...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EuroCarolyn
sotikre, Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and wonderful comments about the Blue Palace although you only stayed with us for such a short time.
I was delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay and thank you for choosing to spent this so important day at our resort. It was our great pleasure to look after you and I am thrilled that you enjoyed your birthday.
I appreciate you pointing out the fascinating and very important story of the beautiful Spinalonga as we take great pride in being located just across this beautiful isle.
I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Blue Palace on a longer visit for another unforgettable stay.

Sotiris Kremastiotis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed at the Blue Palace for three nights in August 2012. We were very impressed with the beautiful property, had a very relaxing stay and would absolutely recommend it to friends visiting Crete. This is a true resort with everything you would ever need on the property, but a quaint village of Plaka a short walk away should you want to leave the property and explore Crete (and buy significantly cheaper water and sunscreen at the grocery store in the town).

Property: The Blue Palace is built into a cliff with a funicular/elevator transporting guests down to the waterfront (approximately 5 minute trip, NOT air conditioned). I was surprised that this elevator is not referenced on the Blue Palace website; while the elevator can accommodate strollers, wheelchairs, etc., I can imagine it would be a bit cumbersome to have to make this trek if you were not 100% mobile. The main building is absolutely stunning with lots of comfortable seating, a beautiful pool (that’s the one you see in many pictures on their website) and a bar where there was live music (piano or jazz) every night during our stay. At the base of the funicular is the beach, additional pools, Isola and Blue Door restaurants as well as the spa and gym. The stone beach has plenty of comfortable lounge chairs and straw umbrellas for shade. The beach was windy in August so don’t bring anything light as it might blow away!

Room: Our room was spacious, comfortable and had a covered porch with a sitting table and a comfortable day bed. I believe EVERY room on the property has a view of the water/Spinalonga. I would recommend staying on a LOWER numbered room for better views (see my Room Recommendation for more detail here). The two things I would highlight about the room are that the beds are on the hard side and that the hairdryers require you to hold a button in order to keep the air moving. This made it difficult to use a brush when drying my hair so if you have a European-outlet hairdryer, I would absolutely bring it. On additional note about the room is that the WiFi was extremely weak and only worked about 30% of the time in our room. Not a big deal for us, but if you are planning on doing any business work, you might want to get an Internet card or plan on working out of the business center as a backup.

Restaurants: Our only real disappointment with our stay at the Blue Palace was the restaurants. We dined at the Blue Door (Greek) and Isola (Italian/Mediterranean). Both were pricey, which we expected, and the ambience at both was perfect. Blue Door is right on the water, the food is cooked over an open flame and there was live music (bouzouki – like a guitar) playing during our meal. However, the food and service were disappointing. My lamb was so overcooked that I could not cut through it and my boyfriend’s fish was undercooked. With regard to the service, we felt like we were being rushed through our entire meal. The waitresses asked us within two minutes of sitting down what we wanted to order (they hadn’t even delivered us menus yet!) and our entrees were delivered before we had even finished half of our appetizers. The service at the Isola restaurant was, on the contrary, too hands off. We had to ask multiple times for water and they forgot to bring our coffees. We were much more satisfied with the food here, but weren’t really in the mood for Italian cooking on our vacation in Greece! I would recommend having dinner in Plaka at least once during your stay. Our favorite meal during our trip was at a restaurant called THE CAROB TREE in the town square (one block inland from the water). For less than 40 Euro, we had two carafes of wine, four small plate appetizers, two entrees AND dessert. It was also delicious and a very memorable dining experience. However, the breakfast buffet at the Blue Palace was AMAZING. There was SO much to choose from (fresh fruits, pastries, traditional Greek breakfast dishes, cold cuts, cheese, eggs, omelets, etc.) and it was all delicious. As a SPG Platinum member, breakfast was complimentary, but I believe it would cost 20 Euro if you were paying full price. I think this would still be worth it for the sheer number of options you have.

Activities: We were staying at the Blue Door for vacation so we didn’t really want to do anything but relax and read by the pool. The concierge was very helpful to us in terms of giving us recommendations and offering to arrange visits to Spinalonga, boating, scuba diving, etc. We both got spa treatments one day and were very impressed with the spa. I wish we had booked additional treatments!

In sum, this hotel is perfect for a couple looking to kick back and relax and disconnect from every day life for a couple of days. I realize my review might come across as negative, but our experience was overwhelmingly positive. I just wanted to highlight things that I would’ve wanted to be aware of before my trip and could have been upset with if we were paying full price (we paid with cash and points). One last recommendation I would have is that the hotel should provide better directions to/from the airport or ferry for those driving themselves instead of using a shuttle or driver. The concierge e-mailed me a Google map with zero directions when I requested driving directions before our arrival and the front desk staff gave me incorrect driving directions when we were leaving, which almost resulted in us missing our ferry to Santorini. Give yourself at least an hour and a half to drive from Elounda to the ferry or airport if you are driving yourself.

Room Tip: The rooms at the Blue Palace are built into the cliff and I would recommend staying LOWER down on th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid review on the Blue Palace. Feedback is very important to us in order to improve and we gratefully take all comments on board.
Taken that we always get such positive comments regarding this restaurant I was sorry to read that the service and food at the Blue Door were not up to your standards. However, I am truly glad you found the breakfast buffet to be amazing and that you really enjoyed your Spa treatments. I will certainly pass on your compliments to the teams.
I appreciate you recommending the Blue Palace to other travelers and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed here from 6 - 13 September, we'd booked after extensive research, here is the good and the not so good. Arrived late, so the hotel set a lovely salad and meat meal for us in our bungalow with private pool.....have to say though that's stretching the description as it was a large room with a deck and splash pool, that could have been warmer. Didn't use the spa so can't comment. The hotel is beautiful, the grounds are lovely, but the pool and beach furniture could do with an overhaul, they are simply scruffy. Ripped mattress covers on wooden beds which could use a lick of paint, tatty coco mat umbrellas, and rough wooden boxes for tables. However the view of Spinalonga more or less made up for that! The staff in most cases couldn't be faulted, but there were the odd one or two who acted like you were an inconvenience! The restaurants/food, The breakfast was quite good, reasonably varied but not quite the best I've experienced; The Blue Door, by far the best, lovely food and great service; Flame, food OK, but not great and the room is a bit soulless; Asia Blue, food good staff a bit abrupt; Isola Italian Restaurant, very basic med-type food which imo was overpriced and I would not have been happy to pay if I wasn't on 1/2 board, however it was OK for lunch! Getting about the resort is not easy as you have to use the finnicular for just about everything, and you usually have to wait for it, but not as bad as I'd read about on here! Walk into Plakka was about 10 mins across a rocky beach or 15 on the road, lovely village and I'd recommend The Pine Tree and The Carob Tree. Finally, we had a late check out and reception couldn't have done more, swopped bookings around which allowed us to stay in our room until 5pm, and gave us a voucher for lunch for 2 in :Isola! Would I recommend, yes but be aware this is a very expensive place and even on 1/2 board our final extras bill was over £700!!

Room Tip: Ask not to have a room/bungalow near finnicular, its noisy!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for giving us your feedback on your recent stay at the Blue Palace.
Despite I was very happy to read that you really liked the Blue Door which is indeed in a wonderful location, it was a shame we did not fully meet your expectations in all the other restaurants. Reference the beach furniture and mattresses I appreciate you pointing it out as we have already included them in our winter maintenance plans.
I am truly grateful for recommending us to other people considering a trip and I hope to see you again in Blue Palace in the future.

Athens
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

If you can afford it then it will definitely meet your expectation !
People and facilities there will make your stay unforgettable !
Fine dining with a variety of restaurants.
We expect the spa's renovation to complete the wonderful scene !

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Guest,

It is so pleasant to read such positive feedback as yours. Thank you!
As a matter of fact our daily main aim is to make our guests happy and genuinely put a lot into it to provide the highest standard of services.
I am most thankful for your kind words which are a true encouragement to the whole team.

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Overall, the hotel is like a supermodel-beautiful exterior with not a lot of substance. The property is gorgeous but the management just didn't seem to have it together. Room was beautiful with incredible view. Food was very average throughout entire hotel. The Asian restaurant was absolutely horrible, especially for the price. Staff (restaurants, spa, front desk, and in general all over the property) just seemed to not be interested in being there except for a few ladies (Penny) at the concierge. Beds were the worst beds we ever stayed in, backs were killing by the end of the stay. Spa service was the worst I have ever had. I asked the therapist for stronger pressure and she didn't respond to me. The facility needs an update as well. If only the manager would spend more time managing the property and not commenting on every trip advisor comment, customer stays would probably be much more enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jenny K
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.
Naturally I was sorry to read that you had an issue with the Spa team members and of the food in our restaurants not being to your liking. At this stage I can only apologize that you did not receive the kind of service you were expecting and assure you that I have taken your comments under serious consideration for future review and service improvement.
I truly hope this unfortunate experience will not deter you from staying with us again and that you will give us the chance to restore your faith in our services.

Thessaloniki, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

My husbent and I stayed at the Blue Palace on August, from 28/08 till 31/08
The first impression arriving at the hotel was very good. It is very big, and the view overlooking Spinaloga is unique.
I think it is the only hotel that has this magnificent view.
We decided to book an Island luxury suite with sea view( I think all island suites has sea view) after looking at the photos in the internet site of the hotel.
At check in the things were good, but not perfect. There is no personal contact , which you expect from this kind of hotel.
They knew the time of our arrival, because they organized our transportation from the airport to the hotel. There were no personal wellcoming. We went to the front desk, but there was no available staff to serve us, and we had to wait for about 2 minutes( no big deal).
They informed us about our room, that all our requests were fullfilled( we asked the room to be far away from the teleferik, the bathroom to have jacuzzi, and not simple bathtab, and to have umprellas at the patio).
They informed us about the facilites of the hotel, and they lead us to our suite.
In the room there was a big plate full of fruits ( which was renew every day), and a bottle of rakomelo (raki with honey) . The room was cleaned twice a day, and we had complimentary water in our room every day, 2 bottles.
The first dissapointment was the jacussi. It was a regular bath tab for one person with hydromassage.When they mention at the site jacuzzi you expect a big bath tab for two persons.
Second dissapointment the pool. It was very nice, big , but not the kind of pool shown at the internet site( they show infinity pools)
We expected to swim in our pool and to see the view at Spinaloga. We could’t because the pool wasn’t infinity, and all over the patio there was a wall. We could see the view only standing up, or if we sut in the chairs exactly next to the wall.
We asked to move to an island suite with infinity pool, but they informed us there was no availability. Ok, we understood.

The room was very big, with separate living room with tv, and a large bedroom with tv also.
The bathroom was ok, with separate shower. We noticed that the magnifying mirror couldn’t stay stedy.
The temprature of the pool was ok, 28oC, but if you want to use it at night, probable you will get cold. We could’t swim at night, we could not stand the cold.
We wondered why they make heated pools if you cannot use it anytime you want? They told us the temprature couldn’t raise more than 29oC.
We have stayed in another hotel , the previous time we stayed at Elounda and the pool temprature was at 35oC, so we could swim any time we wanted , even at 02-03 am .

We were surprised that at the afternoon the room service came, in order to fill the mini bar, which was half empty from the previous guests, even they informed us when we checked in that our room was ready.

The first night we ate at Flame restaurant. It was perfect , just perfect.
The atmosphere, the staff, the service and mostly the food. We were absolutely satisfied. Well done, and a bravo to all the personel, we reccomended.

The next day, before our breakfast, we informed the front desk about the problem we had with the magnifying, and they said they will take care.

The breakfast was very good, with big varity, good service and the staff always smiling.
We had book a treatment spa for couples later that day, and we decided to go earlier for a small explore of the spa.
The pool in the spa, was big enough, even we expected the temprature to be higher, it was at 29 c, We had a jacuzzi, which was good, and with a satisfactory size, with good water temprature.
The treatment we had “Traditional Cretan Experience “ was magnificent, the two ladies were real professionals, very kind.
From our spa experience we were very satisfied.
In the afternoon the room service game again to fill in again the mini bar , with food wich was not filled in the previous afternoon( We didn’t use anything from the mini bar)

The second night we booked at the Isola restaurant. It was a good experience, the staff was frienldy, the food good( not as good as the Flame) the service fast.

On 30/08 in the morning, before take our breakfast, we went again at the front desk, to informed them that the magnifying mirror was not fixed. They told us they will call maintenance. I didn’t see the girl to write down the problem or the room number , not the first and not even the second time.

At that day we wanted to take a private tour to near beaches. The staff from the ultimate guest service ( Alexandros ) was really helpful, and he informed us about all our options ( we could take the tour with a traditional kaiki, or with a yatch) but after talking with the captains, they infored us that they could not leave outside the gulf, because of a prohibition for all the boats due to windy weather.

In the afternoon the room service game again, to add a juice at the mini bar, and they charged it to us.We never took anything from the mini bar, it was all so expencive.
We went to inform front desk about that, and the staff called the room service department in order to be informed . She seemed hesitand at first, but because we insisted that we did not take anything from the mini Bar, and that from the moment we arrived in the room, the mini bar were not fully informed, and that every day someone come and add something, she finally informed us that they will remove it from our account. And they did.

Our last evening we ate at Asian blue. The service was not as expected. The waitress did not smiled even once. We ordered fried rice with vegetables, and they brought us Fried rice with eggs. We informed them for their mistake, the waitress took back the plate without apologize, and after some time they served us the same rice, just adding some vegetables inside. We did not want to make an issue , so we didn’t say anything else.
The dessert was the biggest disappointment. We ordered fried ice cream and cream brulle. We ate fried ice cream before, somewhere else, which from the inside is iced, hot from the outside. This is the magic of this dessert. BUT this dessert was just a big ball of ice cream from the inside and from the outside had a crust, which had a very strong taste of frying oils, without being hot.
The crème brulle also did not liked us , because it was frozen. Supposedly the creme first puts in the oven, baked, come out of the oven and burn with the flame machine and served while still hot. this was frozen, as if they had it ready in the fridge.
I do not know, mayby this is the way they serve these desserts in Asia Blue.
We do not reccoment Asia Blue.

On 31/08 we checked out. The magnifying mirror had not been fixed yet.

The general impression is that this is a good hotel, which should be improved, and to try to have a more personal relationship and contact with each client.

We give our highest rate at the restaurant Fame.

Tip: Do not leave anything unclear whem you make a reservation at this hotel. Be very specific about the things you want.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CHRISA K
sotikre, Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your extensive review following your recent visit to the Blue Palace Resort & Spa.
As we have a great team that are dedicated to providing the highest levels of customer service and go out of their way to ensure all our guests have a truly memorable experience, I was truly surprised to read that you were not welcomed as expected and I apologize for that. However, although it is as shame that the Asia Blue restaurant was not to your liking it was a real pleasure to read that Flame was your favorite dining experience as well as your treatment at our Spa to have exceeded your expectations.
With regard to the pool temperature you mention, may I kindly note that it is set according to Starwood standards which requires the pool temperature to be 24⁰C.
I apologize for the areas we fell short of your expectations and I have taken on board your comments for future improvement.
I do hope that I will have the future opportunity and pleasure of welcoming you back to the Blue Palace.

edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

Hotel and resort are excellent. Great rooms, with suites that have thier own private pools. Stunning hilltop views and just the most excellent team of people working the hotel. Wonderful and well deserving of 5* rating

Room Tip: Suites with private pools and sea view. You'll never want to leave your room!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
sotikre, Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your very kind words. As you pointed out we have a great team here and I have passed on your kind words to them. I was really glad that we met your expectations during your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Sotiris Kremastiotis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elounda
Elounda Garden Suites
Elounda Garden Suites
#1 of 37 in Elounda
Elounda Beach Hotel & Villas
Royal Marmin Bay Boutique & Art Hotel
Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection
Sensimar Elounda Village Resort & Spa by Aquila
Daios Cove Luxury Resort & Villas

Been to Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete? Share your experiences!