“Anniversary Trip”

Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Elounda
Chicago, Illinois
“Anniversary Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2011

This is a special resort. Highly, highly recommended.

The resort is beautiful and everything you hope for in a trip to the Greek Islands. It's completely quiet and romantic, a perfect place for couples.

We received an upgrade to a suite with a private pool. Our room was also away from the lift, ensuring we had complete privacy and no noise. This was a stunning room.

We were there the first week of September, by then all of the tourists had cleared out. I estimate the resort was 40-60% full, so we had plenty of space to ourselves.

The view from the resort is great, looking right onto the island of Spinazolla (spelling?). That's worth a trip over there.

The L'Orangerie restaurant is delicious - make sure you go there during your visit. For other dinners I recommend you do the short walk to Plaka and eat at some of the local restaurants. Plaka is tiny - maybe 20 restaurants tops - but there are lots of good choices. There is also a food mart there which is a nice choice for snacks

1 Thank letsgofire
Theofra, Director General at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this review, May 17, 2011
Dera Guests,

Thank you very much for your excellent comments. We are very proud of the Blue Palace and the satisfaction of our guests is what counts most for all the Management and staff. I really hope to have the chance of welcoming you again at the Blue palace, and have you as members of our Loyalty Club which gives special amenities and offers to our numerous repeaters.

Director General

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Kinross, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a week on a part business, part holiday trip. We kicked it off nicely by arranging to have the hotel limo pick us up from the airport. Think it was about £80 but it's a long way from Heraklion airport - about 50 mins and you would pay around £40 - £50 for an ordinary taxi transfer and it was lovely to be collected by a sleek black Mercedes with ice cold bottles of water waiting for us in the back.

The hotel is really beautiful and the view from our balcony was of the island of Spinalonga - stunning and very romantic.

The hotel is built into the mountainside and a cable car takes you up and down to the beach and the restaurants. My husband has walking difficulties but we didn't find it a problem as there are also golf buggies to take you around if you need them.

We opted for the Junior Suite without the pool, which was really spacious with contemporary decor. We thought we had made the best choice (unless you were prepared to go up into the higher price range of the bungalows) as they weren't private (while stood on our balcony we could see into all of the pools in front of the rooms below us) and while we were there we only ever saw one being used. Also two of the swimming pools were about 20 yards away, (the others were between the beach and the hotel) and so if you did want to cool off, it wasn't far.

We went out with Greek friends some nights but managed to try most of the restaurants.
The food was very good, with the L'Orangerie fine dining restaurant the best. Blue Door, the Greek Taverna-style restaurant on the beach was nice and less formal and Asia Blue, (Asian fusion) was very good too. We didn't eat in the Isola Italian restaurant so can't comment on that one.

There had been many comments on Trip Advisor about the cost of food and drinks here but this is a 5 star hotel and it is a true 5 star hotel. Consequently of course the prices are higher but no more than a bar in London! We managed to get a really good half board deal from Olympic Holidays which included breakfast and dinner in any of the restaurants, and this is definitely worth looking for. You can also eat and drink in Plaka, which is just along the road or in Elounda, a taxi ride away. Fish is of course wonderful, as you would expect from an island but it isn't cheap and it's difficult to work out the cost as you pay per kilo. Go and enjoy but just be aware.

We have been out to Crete a few times and love it. The people are very friendly and Elounda is very beautiful, and very cosmopolitan, with some of the world's best hotels around it's bay. It makes trying to decide on which one very difficult - thank goodness for Trip Advisor! This time we didn't hire a car and just got a taxi which was fine. The taxis are all regulated and all charge a fixed fare to places - re-assuring. It is easy to drive about though and one main motorway goes right through Crete, which you just follow from the airport - signposted Aghios Nikolaos (a big town and good for shopping).

Anyway, the hotel was fab, the views spectacular, the food lovely, the staff efficient. We were really relaxing in between doing the business that we had gone out to Crete to do and had got to that "aaah this is the life" moment when it happened. A coach full of Americans came to stay. The tranquillity went - in an instant. The back-slapping, whooping and hollering went on into the early hours. It got so bad we had to call reception at one in the morning because we just couldn't sleep. They also went around talking loudly about the great deal they had got and the discounts off everything - a bit annoying. Something seems to happen when people get in a crowd that renders them all deaf, meaning they have to shout at each other constantly. They also demanded so much attention and complained constantly, taking up the time of the staff who then weren't able to give us and the rest of the guests the same level of service.

I can't blame the hotel. There is a recession and Greece especially is feeling it really hard but when the hotel accepted this booking, it came at the expense of everyone else's holiday.

I would return to this hotel in a heartbeat but I would do my best to find out if any block bookings had been made first.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank ScotLainey
Dear Guests, Thank you very much for taking the time to send your excellent comments to Trip Advisor. We always pass the on to our staff and they are thrilled to know that all their efforts are rewarded. I do apologize about the noisy guests you had to encounter during your visit. Unfortunately there is no way we can know in advance of such attitude. The surprising thing is that the group was a business one visiting the Hotel as an incentive, and having a nice time.. Please do not hesitate to get in touch with me personally in case you want to visit us again, and I will make sure that you will enjoy every minute of your stay.

Yours SIncerely

Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2011

Our trip dates back to last August but I do suggest you read the poor reviews first before booking this place.
Like you, I had done my research on Trip Advisor and seeing the wonderful reviews and pictures I thought this would be the ideal place for a family holiday (2 adults and 3 children) I booked it through my agency and booked a suite with Sea View with a connecting room ajacent for my children.
After arriving in a very shabby airport we had an hour taxi ride to get there. On arrival we were shown our rooms and there started the disapoitment. Both connecting rooms were on Sea front but had a view straight of the roof top of the building below us. we complained that this was not what we booked and I showed our reservation confirmation. We were then showed the Suite but that it would be and extra cost and our charge. I immediately called my agent to complain. They assured me that they had booked what we had asked for and told us that they would solve the problem themselves. August I guess is the worst season for this Hotel as you could see that it was very much over booked. There were alot of complaints of very disatified customers from poor service, quality and poor managment.
Here are the Cons:
Very expensive and not worth the price you pay
The food is just about average and not a five star standard
The beach is cobbled and you need shoes to get in the water from the shore
The lounge chairs are in a poor state
We often had no beach towels even coming at 10:00 in the morning
No activities for children aged above 4 so I hope you and your kids are social and creative
No activities for Adults either
Bar sceen is dead and no atmosphere after dinner
No free WIFI except where the Asia Blue Restaurant is
The Town Center has nothing to write about.
The Water sports center is expensive and did not give a discount even if you used it nearly every day to keep kids busy.
Try to eat out at the village next to hotel but to get there you need to walk on the cobbled beach and can be a bit tricky.
The pro's:
Mediterranean Maisonette Suites Sea View Private Pool was very nice and the view was beautiful
If you like a hard bed then you will sleep well
Rooms were clean and seen to twice daily
The Spa Treatments were very good and my husband really enjoyed his massages
The Breakfast buffet is very good and there has a good variety
The staff did their best but had a hard time keeping up with all the customers
The view is beautiful and the sea is clean

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank Niki1206
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sending your comments to Trip Advisor. I always read them and we always try to improve on all the negative impressions. It is understandable that August is by far the busiest month of the High Season ( We are a seasonal resort closing down end of October and opening again in late April). Please note that we do have a very good Kid's Club for children between 3 and 12. For adult activities we offer tennis, table tennis, billiardg and the water sports which you liked. It is true that we do not have an animation team to organize activities, but we tried that the first year of operation and nobody used the facility. Our guests usually prefer to relax than participating in activities. I was surprised to read that you found our restaurants average. We have been awarded repeatedly for the food by Tour Operators and independent organizations. dear Friends, I hope to have the opportunity of having you again at the Blue Palace and try and change your oppinion about us.

Theodoros Frangos, Director General
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2011

Wonderful location overlooking Spinalonga island. Excellent spread of food. Champagne on tap for breakfast is always welcome. Check if your room is near a pool as some are quite a walk. Very good but should be a little better service at these prices.

• Stayed June 2010
Theofra, Director General at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this review, March 14, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to send to Trip Advisor your review of the Blue Palace. I always like to have the feedback of our guests ( both nice and not ) because this is the only way for us to see the possible weak points and try to improve things. I wish you were a little more specific about the quality of the service you received during your stay with us. I really wish that I will have the opportunity of welcoming you again as a guest at the Blue Palace and have the chance to offer you the excellent service we are very well known about.

Yours SIncerely

Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

Let me start off by saying that I am quite demanding in terms of hotels and most of the time I (unfortunately) manage to find something to my dislike. Well - not at the Blue Palace. Everything here meets up to the standards of a 5 star , luxury property. The hotel is a gem in terms of design , the surroundings and views ( with beautiful Spinalonga Island just opposite the hotel) immaculate, the staff attentive and extremely helpful. I would advice You to book one of the rooms with private pools. I actually didn't expect myself to use the pool at all and booked the room just for the sake of the view ( these rooms always come with a direct view of Spinalonga),however I ended up using it very ofetn - a dip in the morning before breakfast is heavenly and one after dinner just as divine. The hotel was full when I came (first week of August) , but thanks to the huuuge grounds it actually felt nearly deserted. No problems with the loungers on the beach or by the pools, so no need to book one early as it happens in some other, even top-notch properties in the Greece.
There is only one let down at the hotel and that is the asian restaurant. I'm sure the chef is doing all he can to make this work, but You can't run an asian restaurant if You don't have the basic asian ingredients to use in Your cooking... with no lemongrass, thai basil or even ginger at hand ( I guess they just don't import it) , the chef ends up soaking everything in soya sauce. The result is quite depressing as You may imagine. I would suggest the management to either stock up on asian produce or give up the asian concept alltogether , beacuse this restaurant is casting a grim shade on the otherwise superb culinary outposts in the Blue Palace. Maybe You sholud turn it into a Spanish restaurant? I mean it would be so much easier to make paellas than tom yam googngs in Crete. My favourite restaurant was the beach taverna , the Blue Door with delicious greek food and a fabulous view (especially around sunset). The chef and manager of the restaurant saw me coming back every day and soon started to pamper me as a regular guest with extra food ideas. Overall - the Blue Palace was a memorable experience and I would suggest it to anyone looking for luxury, beauty and pure relaxation.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Hanna091
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for taking the time to send your impressions of the Blue Palace at the Trip Advisor site. I am really happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you liked the Private pool and the Blue Door Tavern. I am sorry about the Asian Blue, though. It is indeed hard to find some ingredients in Crete, but we manage somehow and the guests comments in general are quite favorable. I apologize about the unhappy experience and promise you that would you honor us wit a return visit, I will make sure you have an excellent Asian meal.

Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2011

This is one of the best hotel I have ever stayed in. The room was fanatastic and clean. I had a room with a pool and even though I did not use the pool much the outdoor area was nice to sit at in the evening to enjoy a glass of wine. My day started out with the best breakfast buffet I have ever had. Champagne was available and any thing you wanted to eat. Eggs, crepes, fruit, cereal, cookies, yogurt. I have eaten at many breakfast buffets but this was the best. The food at the other restaurant during my stay were good as well. The Japanese restaurant was good with great service from the manager. I forget her name but she was very pleasant and welcoming. The pool area was fantastic and the beach was great. The beach is very rocky but I did not care since I do not love sand. The view of Spinalonga (the leper island) was unbelievable. I have been to many hotel throughout the world and this one was one of the best. The only disappointment is that the front desk staff could be a little friendlier upon arrival.

I at dinner at the town of plaka which is a five minute walk from the hotel. The food was great. The best dinner I had on Crete. Difinitely worth the walk. What a beautiful little town. There also there is a small store that you can buy wine, beer, and snacks for a good price. I am definitely going back some time soon. It was not very crowded when I was there which made it all the better. I was there in early Sept 2010. I would stay here.

1 Thank passiontravelers
Dear Guest,

My most sincere thanks for your excellent comments about the Blue Palace.It is always nice to know that the hard work and all the efforts of the staff are rewarded I really hope to have the chance to welcoming you again here and I will make sure that you will become a member of our Blue Circle Club which will give yoiu a lot of additional advantages and amenities.

Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2011

Last September whilst staying in nearby Plaka (at the fantastic and highly recommended Stella Mare appartments) I spent a day at the spa at this hotel. My partner had hired a motorbike for the day and not fancying this at all, I phoned the hotel and asked if it was possible to book the spa. The cost was 35 euros for the day and I booked a massage at the same time. The treatments were at London-type prices, the therapists, I had one English and one Greek both excellent and very professional.
On arrival at the hotel I was directed to the tram which takes guests down to the beach where the spa is also located. After checking in (also booking another treatment!) and receiving my robe and towels. I was given a guided tour by the manager of the fantastic facilities. I spent the day in complete luxury - two treatments, a massage and a facial - lots of swims in the indoor pool, the enormous whirlpool upstairs (thasso/hydro therapy??) sauna, jacuzzi, turkish bath & reading in the quiet room. There is also a gym which I didn't use. At lunchtime I was encouraged to use the beach facilities and had a snack and the best (and probably the most expensive) large glass of chilled dry white wine I have ever had in Greece at the poolside bar - worth every euro! Unfortunately it was very windy by the beach on the day I visited but I did manage a few minutes on the great loungers by the pool/beach with the best views of Spinalonga Island - I was so glad I had my camera with me. At about 7 o'clock I finally dragged myself away and returned to Plaka.
Obviously I can't comment on the actual hotel but my spa day was fantastic and I would throughly recommend it. For accomodation in the village of Plaka though I can definately recommend the self catering appartments belonging to Stella and her lovely family. If you are staying at the Blue Palace and fancy a change there are some great restaurants and a couple of bars in Plaka (5 mins by taxi - 10/15 to walk) which you should definately check out.

1 Thank SurreySingleMum
Dear friend,

I am glad you enjoyed your day at the Blue Palace. We try hard to keep very high standards of service in all our departments and I am happy that you found the Spa to have excellent standards.
I will of course inform the staff about your comments ( when we open again in the end of April ).

Director General
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elounda
Elounda Garden Suites
Elounda Garden Suites
#1 of 37 in Elounda
Elounda Beach Hotel & Villas
Royal Marmin Bay Boutique & Art Hotel
Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection
Sensimar Elounda Village Resort & Spa by Aquila
Daios Cove Luxury Resort & Villas

Been to Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete? Share your experiences!