“Not Just Pizzas”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We are so glad that we decided to eat here! Wow, what fantastic Pizzas and the other meals are excellent too. We did not waste time going anywhere else for an evening meal as the food here was everything we could want. The staff were so friendly, welcoming and made us feel just like we were part of their family. Being vegetarians we found no difficulty in choosing delicious meals as there was a specific vegetarian menu, and the salads were so filling and tasty with lots of variations. You must watch Dimitre make the Pizzas - there is a huge wood oven where they are cooked and they taste like nothing I have ever eaten before so flavoursome and melted in your mouth! We would even go so far as to say they were the best pizzas we had ever tasted. How I wish we could have one delivered here! One of the highlights of our holiday and great value for money.

1  Thank Jennifer C
There are newer reviews for Ariadne Pizzaria Restaurant

Reviewed July 16, 2014

There are plenty of restaurants in Elounda serving decent meals, and this is one of them. If you're into Italian style pizzas, this is probably one of the best restaurants in the town. Their Greek pasta is very good as well.

As other reviewers have already noted, this restaurant is on the main road rather than at sea level. And it is not directly on the harbour. Do not do the same mistake I did during my first three years in Elounda: Do _not_ walk past it. Except for some noise from the road, a visit is a very pleasant experience. The food is top of the notch for any Greek village, and the service is exceptional. Especially if you are interested in the history of the terrain in the surrounding area. I am, and I have never learned as much as I did from the very friendly staff during my two dinners at this restaurant. They will leave you alone if you want to, but if you ask questions, they will spend a lot of time answering. I think I just found a new Elounda favourite.

[Note to editors: Why do you ask if this is one of the best meals I've ever had in a restaurant? I've eaten at several Michelin restaurants, so I said "no". But it is not fair, or even possible to compare very good taverna meals with special occations at the world's best restaurants, so I suggest you remove that question. Thank you.]

1  Thank Sverre H H
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Do not be put off by the fact that Ariadne is on the main road rather than at the water's edge - the quality of the food and the warmth of the welcome more than make up for it. It's also in a perfect position for people watching!

Besides serving the best pizzas in Elounda, Ariadne has an extensive menu with something to suit all tastes. Whether you want just a few meze dishes or a full 3 course meal, you will be spoilt for choice. If you have eaten Greek food every night and would like a change, try the Chicken Madras or the Chicken Vindaloo - Dimitris, the owner, was taught to make these by an Indian chef and only uses the best ingredients - no ready made curry powders or sauces here. If you don't feel like going out, try a takeaway or have your meal delivered to your accommodation.

We have eaten here many times and have never been disappointed. The service is always good, the atmosphere is friendly and quite laid back and the complimentary raki after the meal is one of the best I have ever tasted. If you are interested in hearing about traditional Cretan customs, Dimitris will tell you how and where his raki is made and how he makes dakos, the twice baked bread, from the flour produced at the family windmill.

A restaurant not to be missed.

1  Thank Athena2009
Reviewed June 16, 2014

If you love pizza this is the place to go, proper pizza oven and Dimitre certainly knows his trade as he makes all the bread for the village. We have tried various other meals from the extensive menu and can honestly say we havent had a bad meal yet. Dimitre and his staff welcome you with open arms and nothing is too much trouble, and the Rakki well go try it for yourself !!

1  Thank voddyjule
Reviewed June 16, 2014

The food is ALWAYS spot on and plentiful. All of the staff are very helpful and friendly. Nothing is to much trouble.

1  Thank Elloundabelle