“A private villa....bliss”

Elounda Gulf Villas & Suites
Ranked #10 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Took my partner here for a week of tranquility and thats what we got... Beautiful Exec Villa with pool, our own gym and lift! Wow! Lovely gardens, very quiet, thought we were the only couple their except at breakfast by the pool overlooking the sea. Lovely friendly staff, special thanks to Louisa, Tina, Louise, our house maids- the list goes on because everyone we met were more than helpfull. A fantastic experience for us both, and thanks to Aris, and Anna (the owner) who took our picture in the gardens. Thank you to you all. Special thanks to Stella for your emails x
Can't thank you all enough. Do hope to come back. Love to you all Nigel & Helen

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Moustakas, Manager at Elounda Gulf Villas & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Great to read your positive review regarding your stay in our Executive Spa Pool Villa.
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor and for naming members of our team. We have passed your comments to them all.
Our team sends warm regards to you and we all look forward to welcoming you back!

There are newer reviews for Elounda Gulf Villas & Suites

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stayed a week in this great villa establishment. We booked a Superior Spa Villa which provided a two floor home which included a private gym, sauna, steam bath, inside and outside bubble bath, the outside one being incorporated in the private infinity swimming pool.
The location is high up on the hill overlooking the sea with spectacular views. The downside of the location is that it is a fair walk to the beach, but we decided to rent a car for a week which gave us the desired freedom.
All staff were very friendly, the food in the Argo restaurant great. We would love to come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: If you travel outside of the main hot season, make sure that you get a heated pool.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your good review.
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay in one of our Superior Spa Pool Villas and found our services up to your expectations, the food at Argo a la carte restaurant great, and our staff friendly. We are happy that you would love to return back to Elounda Gulf Villas & Suites. Contact us to get information on special rates and offers for our honored returning guests!
We look forward to welcoming you back,

Charitini Kadianakis

Reviewed September 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this boutique hotel at the beginning of September. We had booked one of the Deluxe Suites. Our Suite was very spacious and elegant! The service was very good and the staff very friendly. Breakfast and food at Argo Restaurant was of very good quality, and our waitress Luisa always had a smile on! We also saw two of the Pool Villas on our last day there and would love to come back to one of them as well! We highly recommend the Hotel! It is very exclusive and private and it feels like staying in a "home" rather than a hotel!!! Pay a visit to Agios Nikolaos town, just 5 minutes with the car and to the Village of Elounda. Also make sure that you do go to Spinalonga island!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for sharing your opinion of Elounda Gulf Villas & Suites on Tripadvisor website.

Great to know that you found our Deluxe Suites spacious and elegant and you enjoyed your stay. Thank you very much for commenting on our boutique Villa-Hotel as a "home" rather than a hotel! This is exactly what we had in mind when creating our Villas & Suites and building our team. We also thank you for the positive comment on our staff member, we have passed this to her. We would be delighted to welcoming you back,

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We recently returned to Elounda Gulf Villas after 32 years. On our first trip it was a small block of self catering appartments, a small taverna and pool. What a wonderful surprise was had, the whole complex is beautifully landscaped and the accommodation was outstanding. The staff were friendly and accommodating, service was excellent as were the facilities and general ambience. I will not be waiting 32 years before returning!!!! One recommendation, go there!!!

Room Tip: There is no good room - there all good
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We thank you so much for the great review of Elounda Gulf Villas on Tripadvisor.

We are more than delighted that after 32 years you returned back to Elounda Gulf Villas.
As you have seen there are no more self catering apartments. In their place, in 2000, we built 18 luxury Villas, all with private pools with Jacuzzi, and 10 deluxe Suites forming a unique Boutique Villa-hotel offering spacious and luxurious accommodation with all the services of a five star hotel. We are happy that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back,

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Having travelled the world staying in luxury hotels we are rarely overly impressed with any hotel experience. However, on our recent family trip to Elounda Gulf Villas we had an amazing experience.There were 10 of us covering three generations from 2 years old up to grandparents. Our villas (2 of them) were beautifully, contemporarily furnished including 3D Plasma TV and I pod sound dock. The views from the patio and gardens were stunning. We overlooked the spectacular Bay of Mirabello and islands over our private infinity pool and whirlpool blending into the bluest sea imaginable. A private party in our villa organised entirely by the hotel management was superb and Aris, Hotel Manager, attended personally to our every need in detail. It was a memorable night for us all and we give a huge thank you to all the staff involved. Nothing was too much trouble for the committed and accommodating staff. I can recommend this exclusive boutique hotel without reservation.

Room Tip: The villas are staggered over the landscaped hillside, lower villas more accessible to facilities...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

We thank you very much for sharing your experience in our boutique Villa-Hotel with the readers of Tripadvisor.

All of us are delighted that you and the rest of your family had a great stay with us. It is our aim and mission to create unforgettable memories to all of our guests taken into cosideration their requests, needs and likes. We are so happy that the private party in the Presidential Spa Pool Villa Minos was memorable to you and that your multi-generational trip in Crete and stay in Elounda Gulf Villas was so remarkable!

We look forward to welcoming all of you back for another truly memorable stay!

Charitini Kadianakis

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Just got back from 5 days a the Elounda Gulf Villas.
It took about an hour to get there from the hotel by car, and coming up to Elounda if you drive too fast you could miss the turn off. We didn't.
Driving in through the front gate two things came to mind - Exclusive and private.
I had originally booked online via the hotel website a 2 bedroom executive spa villa and was extremely eager to get in the the vila, wind down and start my family vacation.
Murphy's law was waiting for me as I began to check in and all of my credit cards wouldn't accept the charge.... as I made the phone calls to my bank & credit card company to find out what was going on we got offered drink, juice and water.
As this headache developed, my wife got a little teary over the worry, and out of nowhere came the what turned out to be the owner of the place, Anna. She gave the order to give us the villa and the problem would be solved the next day. As she said that the bank problem got sorted, holiday payed for, and we went to our villa. Hey presto.
We couldn't have been more surprised we were led to the Presidential "Minos" Villa. As you walk in to this villa your breath is taken away immediately. The Elounda Bay is seen from all rooms, living room, swimming pool, all three bedrooms. The deep blue ocean is amazing.
All 3 bed rooms are immaculate, all designed with great taste. All en-suite jacuzzis, and showers, all double sleepers. If heaven has beds, it looks like this.
The kitchen is full, all appliances dishwasher, fruits juicer, peculator everything. Living room has a smart TV + blueray player.
The villa is set up with wifi - a must for me as a news junkie.
Bathrooms were stocked with great amenities, and restocked once used. The villa was cleaned once a day by the wonderful Flora she made an extra effort bringing up freshly hatched eggs from her garden.
The villa has its own gym, hot & wet sauna - perfect for a workout then chill-out.
The people that work here and we got to know, at the reception, Louise, Julie, at the Aldo Restaurant - Monica & Sofia put so much effort in to being nice.I can't emphasis enough how much this made our holiday perfect. The entire staff were always helpful and accommodating.

This place is a 5* heaven on earth the only thing I would suggest is to add to the hotel website a floor diagram of the villas because lots of staircases could put off people with small children. Also, keep in mind that the swimming pools are not heated unless you want to pay approximately 250 Euros per day. We were fine, but my guess is that later in September you would not be able to fully enjoy the facility without the steep fee.

Finally, due to changes in my flight plan coming home, I requested a late checkout - at 1600 instead of 1200 - originally I was asked 150 euros, I said fine and on my last day they called and said that the owner had decided not to charge us for the extra few hours. Anna, you run a great ship, thank you for making us so so so welcome.

Hope to come back to this little plot of heaven soon.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank peter1973
Moustakas, Διευθυντής at Elounda Gulf Villas & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive comments about your recent stay with us.
The Owner of the property, who you met during your stay, myself and all of our team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay in our Presidential Spa Pool Villa. We are more than happy that the attentiveness and friendliness of our staff made it such a unique experience for you and your wife. I will pass your comments on to our team who will de delighted to receive them.

We all hope that we will have the chance to meet your expectations again in the future and welcome you back in our boutique Villa-Hotel.

Kind regards,
Aris Moustakas
Hotel Manager

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Title: No five star boutique hotel!...

I booked a seven day villa holiday at this supposedly five star boutique hotel (with seven star hotel rates!) during the month of August. What a true disappointment! The reality has absolutely nothing to do with the hotel website. The villa was sad and dark and poorly maintained (electrical plug hanging off of the wall...). The sea view as described and displayed on the website is simply eroneous; obstructed by other buildings you could only see a small portion of the sea.When I asked the luggage porter his opinion about the villa, he did not reply and really seemed embarassed.

Examples of a no five star hotel behaviour :

- upon our very arrival , the manager on duty immediately jumped on me to receive payment of the balance of my bill (even though I had already paid half of the invoice before my arrival and the hotel had all my credit card details ) as if I was about to leave without paying- this hotel must obviously have cashflow problems or well was he afraid we would walk out when we saw the villa?
Was it not possible to wait one hour or one day after my checking in ?? What behaviour, what class for a "5 star" hotel !

- upon our departure date and our fllight leaving at 5pm from Heraklion I asked the day before a female receptionist who asked her manager on duty for the authorization to keep the villa until 2 PM (usual check out time is 12 noon). It is with hesitation and after expressing his discontent that the manager after many exchanges in greek with the receptionist that she finally agreed with her' great almighty' duty manager's approval to let us stay until 1.30 pm. Incidentally this "boutique" hotel has no real lobby and all the check-in, concierge, reception activites are carried out in a very small 8 m2 room at the entrance of the hotel. There is no lounge area to sit to wait. Were we therefore supposed to check out at 12 noon, wait outside and burn under the hot summer sun waiting for our cab to the airport ? Or get to the airport and wait there for our flight for the whole afternoon ? what a nice " 5 star" treatment !!! For such a seven star hotel price how could they even hesitate one second to let us keep the room for a limited time !!!...

-Breakfast ("included supposedly") : You want a fresh orange juice or an omelette. No problem ! Just pay an extra charge

My profession does not allow me to take long vacations and I was really expecting this week to be a truly exclusive stay!

I am aware that there are more serious problems in life than a bad vacation experience but still I am a little angry.

I am sorry to issue such a criticism because some of the staff members were wonderful (smiling, helpful, friendly) and were doing their best; they all mind you need additional five star hotel training starting with their management (they should go to visit top resort hotels in Asia to see what a true five star hotel service is all about).

Conclusion: Congratulations to the web site designer : you created a beautiful website which is unfortunately misleading and misrepresenting the reality. This is not fair for people who pay a lot of money relying on the website description to take a once a year well deserved one week vacation!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank remy W
Moustakas, Manager at Elounda Gulf Villas & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry you did not find your experience at Elounda Gulf Villas enjoyable and up to your expectations. The Owner of the Hotel and myself were suprised to read your review and negative comment about the Villa as both of us met with you during your stay. You never expressed any dislike for any of our facilities or services. Had you expressed your disappointment for something including the Villa you were allocated, we would have done our best to offer you an alternative Villa available then. Please note that the electrical plug you mentioned "hanging off the wall" is actually the router for the wi-fi.

Regarding the charge upon arrival, please note that this was communicated to you at the time of the confirmation of your booking through the proforma Invoice. Our team at the reception made the charge as part of all the check-in procedures. This is done so that our guests will not be disturbed again during their stay. We are proud to say that our company is financially healthy and we feel very insulted with your comment.

As you are aware, all over the world check out is at 12:00. During the day of your departure, our hotel was very busy and fully booked and we are quite happy to have managed to offer you free late check-out until 13:30.

Please check your bill once more to see that there are no charges for the omelet. None of our guests has ever been charged for cooked breakfast. The fresh orange juice is not included in the buffet breakfast and it is charged extra.

Once again we apologize for not meeting your expectations.

Aris Moustakas