“We will be back..”

Ranked #10 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
Reading, United Kingdom
“We will be back..”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We have just returned from a lovely week at the Elounda Gulf Villas. We stayed in the Milatos villa which comprised of one master bedroom and ensuite and two large double rooms and shared bathroom. plus a comfortable living room and kitchen. The Master room had lovely views across the sea, as did the living room, but the two other bedrooms have no view at all and one was very dark. Outside we had a small private pool and good sized area with table and chairs and several sunbeds. The views were lovely ahead and to the right but the view to the left was half-built villas and pylons. Not really a problem if you position your sun beds accordingly, but other villas may have a better view. We were on half board so always had breakfast (good choice of cooked or continental and fresh fruit or fruit salad) in the lovely restaurant by the pool with great views, and had either lunch or dinner there too. We were happy with the menu choice, though would have liked to have seen a vegetable! Seafood spaghetti was delicious as was the Orange Cake. All the staff were very helpful and extremely friendly. Nothing was too much trouble. We had a great time and would definitely recommend it, though wish they provided a free or cheap shuttle service to the town, as we spent a lot on taxis. There are some good restaurants in Elounda but the best place we found to eat was in Plaka and was called Palaria. Majority of diners were Greek and the food and service was fantastic. Delicious selection of starters to share (prawns in tomato and chilii and deep fried courgettes were our favourites) followed by the best salt-baked seabass we have ever eaten. Evening ended with musicians coming in and most of restaurant singing! All very Greek and great fun!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Beautiful stay and experience at the Elounda Gulf Villas. Exceptional service , beautiful views and gorgeous property.
The staff are extremely friendly without being a nuisance. The property is of a very high standard and very satisfyingly clean , even for one as myself with slight OCD!
I generally would say not for the family with children who cannot entertain themselves.
For the getaway and just relax absolutely fitted the bill. I think we possibly had the best villa on the property the 2 bedroom villa next to reception . The view was stunning and to wake up to that every morning with the added bonus of lounging around in your own private pool and jacuzzi without ANY interruption ....well what can one say - priceless !

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend as a family holiday or a beach destination. The beach is in Elounda and a l...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tink014
Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Firstly I would agree with others who say the hotel misrepresents itself online. The photos bear no relation to the reality. We paid for a 3 bedroom villa and I was shocked at the old shabby fixtures and fittings, broken fridge, toilet and air con. Bathrooms were old and cheap, the second bathroom didn't even have a shower. Televisions were small and cheap and air con units were old and ineffective, furniture was dated for those used to hotels such as the four seasons, ritz Carlton, sandy lane you will be shocked at how poorly maintained, fitted and furnished the rooms are. The rooms badly need refurbishing but sadly despite the price per night I get the impression that the hotel owner thinks the quality is adequate which at this price they are not. The kitchen units and appliances reminded me of my student days such was both the age and quality.

Secondly the pool was freezing as it spent most of the time in the shade and was very dirty. Further forget the image of infinity pools you see on the website, they may exist somewhere but certainly not in our 3 bed villa. Privacy is a big issue, our pool and terrace were overlooked by the hotel road so anyone walking through the resort could see us. The downstairs bathroom had a huge window directly onto the road and the two bedrooms down stairs also had windows straight onto the road so any one can look directly into these bedrooms. Both of these bedrooms were rather like prison cells, though I must admit the master bedroom was of better quality. However for those staying in the two bedrooms downstairs it's rather like being an exhibit in a zoo with the windows straight onto the road and a "view" of the wall opposite.

The service here is not upto scratch, my experience seems to differ from others but when we arrived the shopping we requested was not present and despite numerous phone calls and visits from hapless staff the issue took about 4 hours to resolve, the owner claimed the milk was "not ready" given they ended up supplying UHT not fresh milk I am unsure what she meant by this. More importantly we had no baby milk for our son until late in the day. Frankly some free fruit and champagne doesn't compensate for a baby who is hungry, hot as the air con was ineffectual and unable to sleep as the hotel had forgotten to supply the cot we requested. Further the secondary rooms are not doubles, when we complained the twin beds were pushed together and a thin matteress placed on top which was wholly unsatisfactory. The owner claims we should have requested a double bed but at no point in the booking process is this made clear and given the absence of the cot we requested I am uncertain a proper bed would have been supplied.

The reception and manager were powerless to help so eventually following a meeting with the owner I begrudgingly paid additional 4000 eur to move us to a four bed villa which had some privacy and an infinity pool. I would have preferred to move hotels but this hotel takes your money upfront for a reason, so disgruntled guests cannot checkout early without losing the lot. Receptionists are useless, they can't even see if any rooms in the resort are free. I felt for the manager who was clearly fire fighting multiple problems but with a resort as tired and poorly maintained as this he stood little chance.

The wine list and restaurant are ok but not really five star and the half board option is not really worth having as the half board menu is so limited so we ended up paying twice by ordering a la carte.

Overall forget the website it doesn't reflect reality and at 1200 eur night this resort is not good enough.

Room Tip: Are there any good rooms
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Tokyotraveling
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This was our 2nd time in Elounda Gulf Villas & Suites... . The first time we were there we were captured by the finesse and elegance of the place, the excellent high class service and the facilities. We went back again this year, each time finding out that instead of getting bored with the place we just enjoy it more.
Being in Elounda Gulf Villas & Suites is so relaxing for us. It is the only place and time we really stop thinking of work and everyday life, rest and get our batteries charged. The resort is one of the most beautiful places in the world, and one of the most quiet places too. It's easy to just take advantage of the great facilities and just lay down at our private pool all day and rest. It doesn't matter whether the place is full or not, it'll be very quiet and won't feel crowded. The rooms are very indulging. There's nothing like sitting for a drink on your private pool watching the sunset. The place is very clean and well maintained. The food is good as well.
In general, the level of service was exceptional. It really feels like it's getting better and better. It was felt in every moment and every small detail. The hotel manager and the rest staff were extraordinary. In all our traveling we never encountered so much hard work done with so much grace.
We will definitely return back next year…!!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I must admit to being a little surprised by some of the reviews here, during my stay if there was something that didn't meet my expectations I just asked and it was rectified as I don't expect the staff to read my mind - I cant attest to the manager people are referring to below but the English woman on reception was extremely good and other staff in general were great - e.g. do you have a mat I could do yoga on - 10 mins later a man was at the villa door with a mat from the gym; I'm not a fan of rice can I have salad instead - no problem; do you have any razors - not right now but I can get one for you tomorrow morning; I'd like to take a drive around the area - fabulous there is lots to see let me show you on the map etc... is the level of service I received. I booked a villa with a private pool and found myself on top of the hill in a 3brm which was well appointed and spotless as was the pool. I went solo on this trip for some me time and spent the mornings nuded up in the sun by my private pool streaming some radio through the wifi and googling beaches/restaurants and places to go in the afternoon (thank you fellow tripadvisees). Room service was good and quick, cleaning was daily and seemed to be timed when I went down for my breakfast (although this could just have been coincidence). I didn't realise I had the half board option when I checked in so that was a surprise, and they made a good effort to accommodate the fact that I don't respond well to wheat e.g by bringing me cucumber with the dip at the start instead of bread. That said, I did need to tell them and ask for a bread alternative but that is the same where ever I go (they aren't mind readers!).
Other reviewers certainly have valid points - I agree the aircons were noisy and some of the furniture had wear and tear. As for the kids, well, thankfully there weren't any while I was there but while they do have large villas with private pools and kitchens (perfect for families), the evening dinners do have more of a "romantic" feel than a McDonalds so I would bear this in mind if you do happen to own a couple of young kids. Villa issues be easily fixed if they perform proper annual maintenance on each of the villas, but I guess it depends on whether management want to do that. I would expect that if it is something they don't want to do, they won't find people willing to pay the prices they want to charge, especially based on the level of competition in the area and the reviews on trip advisor!
So, main things you should be aware of - the villas aren't on the beach, they are on the hillside, the local beaches are mostly stones, get a car and go along the coastline there are some great places to visit, the half board breakfast/dinner is fine, no Heston Blumenthal but do remember you can ask for other breakfast items not just what is on the buffet (e.g. poached eggs and bacon with toast), the English receptionist and ground/restaurant staff are helpful and all you need to do is ask if you want something, the villas are good and if you're looking to relax in the sun with your own pool and have some private time then this is a very good place. I would go back for that purpose or go back with some friends and a car and enjoy time together in the sun and explore the eastern part of the island.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank AudaciousAussie
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We have just returned from a wonderful holiday at the Elounda Gulf Villas and Suites. From the moment we arrived we knew we had started our holiday.
The whole of the hotel was well maintained, clean, tidy and outsatandingly beautiful. We stayed in one of the hotel villas with a private pool which was perfect to relax in but we also enjoyed taking our meals at the Argo restaurant so we were able to chat to the staff, such as Clio, Manolis and Babis. It also gave us the opportunity to meet other guests.
We were on a half board basis which was an offer when we booked and the food was of a very good standard, there was ample choice at breakfast and the set evening menu had a good variety of choice. On 2 occassions we dined on the a la carte menu in the Daphne restaurant which was well worth treating ourselves to.
I was very surprised to read previous reviews saying the restaurant and bar area were dirty, at no point during out stay did we experience this and we found everywhere to be immaculate and well looked after.
Regarding all members of staff, we found them exceptionally helpful with nothing to much trouble. Even the more inexperienced dealt with our needs, even if it meant them checking with their colleagues.
Housekeeping, Popi and Flora amazed us by keeping out villa spotless and gleaming, the boys who operated the golf carts never found it too much trouble to drive us back to our villa after dining, and both Louise and Katerina in reception, along with Aris the hotel manager, were always very friendly, efficient and dealt with our enquiries immediately with no fuss. We were truely looked after and made to feel special.
An overall amazing stay, we left feeling relaxed but very sad to be leaving! We will most definately be back!

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Today is my last breakfast at Elounda Gulf Villas. These 14 days were of the most beautifull of my life. I am writing for first time, and the reason is that although that I read reviews at Tripadvisor, I was suprised from the comments of some guests of this Boutique hotel. The hotel is marvelous, rooms with astonishing views, big, very clean and although they are not so up to date fells like home. I am living in UAE and traveling a lot for business and leisure, but the hotels that provide such a value for money and that kind of service are not so much. Some say about the photos at their website, come on do you know any hotel that has photos from all of their rooms? I was with my wife and we had a wonderfull stay and we have already book for next year with our children. Food at the restaurant is nice, even the set up menou that we tried once, if only the HB menou is like this also at other hotels. Staff is excellent (waiters always with a smile, maids keeping your room clean and front office with a lot of proposal). I am going to say a word about the Restaurant manager and the Hotel manager, who are doing with a lot of guests. One night at restaurant by the pool kids were palying football while their parents had dinner and of course they didn't care about us. Both of them went and in a very polite manner took the children somewhere else. The hotel is friendly for families but also we as a parents must have a eye to our kids. And of course the hotel is BOUTIQUE, that means no 5 restaurants or hundreds of activities. here we are coming to enjoy ourselves. It is a beautifuul place and we are going to come every year.