“Hotel dated but great staff very helpful and kind”

SENTIDO Elounda Blu
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
Reviewed May 16, 2014

The hotel is situated up a very steep hill and so are all the rooms so consider this its a hell of a walk even if you are fit. The staff are brill and very kind the beach is man made and no toilets but the hotel had only been open for two days Elounda is a 20 minute walk and is very nice trips to springalonga about 10 euros then 4 euro entry fee. when coming out of the hotel turn right then right again and follow the track you will come across a small village visit the hope and have a drink you have to bear left into the village when refreshed back track and turn left to a school and go past it there is a track on the right past a house get onto the main road and you will come to another village its great and the boat is there ? its unsploit and worth seeing if you turn left out of the hotel its quite a walk you will come to a fishing village cannot remember the name buts its great and you can get to spring from here and get a taxi back for 7 euros.
beach bar okay would imagine it gets busy toilets where an issue but the sea is very handy make sure you book into the spa before you leave for a shower. Asian meal not that good still frozen in the middle

Room Tip: we had room 303 shower not good and half way up the Hill very dated and in need of repair but excell...
2  Thank ian h

Reviewed May 14, 2014

We visited Elounda Blu in August 2013, via our local Thomas Cook travel agency.
Although the transfer from the airport felt like a lifetime, (3 1/2hours) we were very happy to arrive at a beautiful hotel. It was well worth the long drive!

On arrival we were greeted by a very helpful receptionist who checked us in quickly, despite the 1.30am arrival, and promptly escorted us to our rooms, pulling our cases behind him.
It was a steep trek up to our room which was high up in the grounds, but nothing to strenuous, although I'm sure it was harder for the kind man who dragged both our cases up the hill.

Once in our room we found a mini fridge in the wardrobe containing a bottle of water, fruit and a baguette each. I thought this was a lovely touch. When opening our curtains we found a shard private pool, which was shared with the room next door. Our pool looked over the below rooms and over the sea to the magical island of Spinalonga. That was the cherry on top of the cake for me, as my favourite book is 'The Island' by Victoria Hislop which is about the island of Spinalonga.

The food in the hotel was lovely, especially breakfast!
Breakfast consisted of a buffet style, everything from full English to continental aspects too. PANCAKES! Wow, English pancakes with any topping you could think of. Drink machines for juices or water and table waiter service for tea and coffee.
Lunch consisted of a salad bar with all types of salad imaginable, a must try is the Greek olive and feta! Yum. There was hot dishes available also, the usual meat or fish and a vegetarian option. Chips always in offer for those fussy eaters (myself included). Wide range of deserts and ice-cream. Every type of bread available, self serve and self cutting to your liking. Table waiter service again for all drinks, including soft drinks and alcohol.
Dinner pretty much the same as lunch. Salad bar, bread, waiter service for drinks. Hot choices can be themed occasionally which is stated in reception. Live cooking station also which was great.
Seating inside and outside looking over the sea to the marina. Beautiful views at all angles.

Visited the Oriental restaurant once during our stay which was free once with our all inclusive package. Stunning! Small. One chef & one waitress but well looked after. Food was amazing p, surrounded by magical views. It couldn't get better.
You have to book at reception, as the restaurant only holds so many people at a time.

Drinks choice was great, soft drink, hot drinks & alcohol. Cocktails are very sweet & very strong but presented beautifully.

Entertainment was displayed in reflection for those who wanted to participate or watch. Greek dancing, show dancers and DJ were shown during our stay, we enjoyed all we saw.

Spa and gym were available but unfortunately we didn't use either, but both looked clean.

Having our own private pool we didn't use the public pool much, but it was very clean and relaxing.
The beach is beautiful, quiet and relaxing. The beach bar serves ice-creams (not all inclusive) and drinks which is great so not it walk too far to get a drink.
Sun loungers are provided along with parasols free of charge. There is the option of water boats for those who like to venture onto the sea.

The staff were very helpful. Little did I know, but while we were visiting Elounda Blu my partner had prepared to propose. The staff helped him make the moment special and the holiday one of a lifetime.
He proposed on the private beach at the end if the pier! Stunning. Walking back up to our hotel room in my state of shock the staff had arranged a bottle of champagne and complimentary fruit for us to enjoy.
All staff were very attentive and interested in getting to know you and your needs.

Our room was very clean, cleaned daily with new towels and sheets.
Pool cleaned daily also.

A trip to Spinalonga is a must! The Thomas Cook rep explains all at the welcome meeting.

I recommend a late check out! Flights out of and into Crete are pretty late so lap up as much Greek sun and culture as possible.

I can not wait to go back and visit our special place! All in all a fantastic holiday which meant all our needs. I'd recommend any day!

Keep up the good work Elounda Blu, hopefully see you next year got our Honeymoon maybe ;).

Room Tip: Shared private pool room number 411. Great room! View of Spinalonga was beautiful. Shared pool onl...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JRod190989
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We have just returned from Elounda Blu after spending our Honeymoon there. We were delighted when we arrived at the hotel. It looked lovely and the layout, although steep was charming and the views incredible! The hotel turned out to be excellent with friendly, hard working, helpful staff. Our room was decorated in petals when we arrived and they had left a bottle of wine and a basket of fruit in our room since they knew we were on Honeymoon. It was a lovely touch and immediately made us feel special. The plunge pool on our balcony was a fantastic bonus. The room was a good size with tea/coffee, hairdryer, TV. I loved the strong shower with various blast sprays. The room was clean and kept that way the whole time we were there. It was peaceful and lovely and quiet at night. Thank goodness for good air conditioning, the weather was brilliant! The food was excellent with a good choice at all mealtimes!
The walk into the fishing village of Elounda was one of the most picturesque I have ever seen. We walked the 1.2km into the village quite a number of times during our stay and never tired of it. We are mountain runners and the surrounding area provided us with a good choice of routes to run. The local people were friendly and welcoming. There was a great choice of places to eat or just sit and relax with a drink or a coffee. Good wifi and internet access everywhere.
It is easy to hire a car or other vehicle if you want to see a bit more of the island. The hire companies deliver to and collect from the hotel. We found this very helpful. We hired a Suzuki Jimny and spent a fantastic time exploring right to the south coast of the island.
One thing struck me, the cleanliness of the whole area right down to the toilets was remarkable. The beaches in the area were lovely, including the hotel beach. There was a lovely secure, safe feeling about the whole area and we will definitely return. Could not recommend this hotel and area highly enough!
One thing we did not like was nothing to do with the hotel but to do with the excursion we booked with Thomas Cook to visit the historic island of Spinalonga off the coast of Plaka and Elounda. They took us all the way to the nearest big town, Agia Nikolaos for a very uncomfortable hour long boat ride when there were daily regular visits from Elounda that were alot cheaper and only 20 mins of a boat ride. It was even shorter from nearby Plaka.

Room Tip: The rooms with a pool on the balcony are a great asset particularly when the main pool is busy.
4  Thank Fellrunner-08
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

My new wife and I came here for our honeymoon, and from the moment we arrived could not have been made to feel more welcome. The staff are fantastically attentive to anything you may need, and nothing is to much trouble. The rooms were spotlessly clean and well maintained, we were upgraded to a suite with private pool and jacuzzi bath, what a lovely surprise! Would recommend elounda blu to anyone and will certainly be returning to experience it again .

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Oli R
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We have just returned from an extremely enjoyable weeks all inclusive stay at the Eluounda Blu. The staff are extremely friendly, attentive and very hard working. The food is excellent, plenty of choice and very good quality and diversity (the diet starts now!). The room, although not massive, was big enough for 2 with the most amazing view over the bay. The bathroom was compact. The room was clean and well maintained with fridge, kettle, cups and air con. Be prepared for either a 25 minute walk or a cab ride to the nearest villages for bars and restaurants. The hotel is on a steep driveway with steps to the rooms, however it's well worth the little effort this requires for the views and the pleasure of staying at this brilliant hotel. We would definitely, definitely go again.

3  Thank Amanda M
Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

Came here for 1 week holiday with my boyfriend half board, Thomas cook.
Firstly this hotel is over 1hour away from the airport. Which myself and my partner were not told about prior to booking. The coach driver who drove us and around 12 other couples to our hotels was crazy! I don't know how we made it to the hotel alive to be honest.
On arrival (around 10pm)hotel looked beautiful all lit up in the dark, greeting was lovely, a young boy took us to our apartment and carted our suitcases al the way up the hill to the apartments which is a Massive pain! Once in the apartment it was cool and seemed clean, we payed extra for the use of the safe in our room, think it was around 20+ euros.
Unfortunately 2 or so days in I fell severely ill and was vomiting & diarrhoea throughout the rest of the holiday which ruined it completely as you can imagine, not sure weather it was due to climate change or food, either way I was bed bound most days. Hurrendous. One night (whilst ill) I woke up and cought the sight of a lizard above the air con on the wall, phoned reception to see if someone could come and get it, they said no and offered us another room for the night, which I wasn't happy about as you can imagine being as ill as I was the last thin I wanted to do was to be carted about especially as I knew we would have to walk a long way to the room. We even asked if they had something for my partner to catch it in himself to save the hassle of moving room for 1 night. But they said no!
In general this hotel is ok on the surface but when you get down to the nitty gritty and little things that matter when your on holiday it hit wasn't there for me! Indoor pool and jacuzzi was freezing cold! The two women working in the pool/ spa area were so rude and miserable we felt so unwanted asif we were an inconvenience. We could not go in pool outside cause it was to full, packed!
We spent most days on the private beach which is at the bottom of the huge hill the hotel stands on. Which was a godsend as it was so peaceful and had lovely little bar and ice creams available.
The walk to the 'local' shops and resteraunte is about 25 min walk away at good pace. My feet were so sore each day from all the waking as I didn't brig appropriate footwear cause I didn't think I would have to walk that much very day/ evening. There aren't really any decent shops and the ones that are there sell the same exact same things.
The hotel has no evening entertainment at all. Which was a real shame. I just wished we had looking a lot more in depth before booking here cause it wasn't a very good holiday at all, even without being I'll it was still pretty crap!
Go elsewhere as there are plenty more hotels with better facilities and closer to shops bars ect!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mariew3
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We have visited the Elounda Blu 4 times now, and are going back soon for a 5th visit. For the price you just cannot beat it. Situated up a steep hill, it has views to die for. We really enjoy the food, and drink, but the best thing about this hotel is the people. The staff stay on from year to year, and are all so friendly and hard working - nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are clean, and we have stayed in different types of room - once with a shared pool, once in a suite, and twice in a standard sea view room, and they are all of a high standard. The pool area is just the right size - we have never had any trouble getting a sun lounger, and the bar is adjacent which is handy. Evening entertainment is laid on but is never too loud. The indoor pool and spa area are also of a top standard. Nikos, Mary, Manolis, Kostas and Nektarios all do a great job (sorry I cant remember the other's names!) and seem to be there at all hours of the day to ensure guests have the best holiday experience. We are looking forward to returning in a couple of weeks - I cant wait to have my first pina colada while looking out over the beautiful bay of Elounda. See you soon!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank BKSB
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elounda
Royal Marmin Bay Boutique & Art Hotel
#17 of 35 in Elounda
Elounda Krini Hotel
Elounda Krini Hotel
#3 of 35 in Elounda

Been to SENTIDO Elounda Blu? Share your experiences!