“HEAVEN ON EARTH”
Review of Elounda Bay Palace

Elounda Bay Palace
Ranked #17 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
Reviewed June 28, 2010

My wife and I went on our honeymoon on the Elounda Bay. The resort was upscale, service, rooms and food was excellent. It was "Tailor-made" for a great romantic stay. But the best part was the private beach. All beach goers stayed at the hotel and all types of groups from honeymooners, families, and business. We LOVED it. The only small inconvenience was the race each morning to make it to a beach chair - but any chair was well worth it. The prices were more than we typically spend on a vacation, but we probably overlooked it because it was our honeymoon. It will help to know that they do have a neighboring town about a mile away that has some affordable and quality dining options. We went in August, 2008, and although dated, we are looking to go back again. That alone may be helpful to another traveler. I would definitely recommend it to all types of travelers.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tandnsig
RassoulisM, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2010

Thank you for the wonderful report you have writen on Trip Advisor.
We have such a wide variety of guests in our hotel as it has something for everyone and appeals to all ages. Our wide varitey of dining venues attract many visitors and the vista over the sea at night, which we under light, is not to be found anywhere else on the island. The beauty of the hotel with its Cretan design and warm hospitality is what makes our guests return year after year. It is the aim of the hotel and its staff to create an atmosphere of relaxation and fun so our guests go home having had a real holiday away from their everyday lives.
We are looking forward to welcoming you and your wife again to The Elounda Bay Palace Hotel and will assure that you have sunbeds on our private beach or amongst the grassy olive groves that surround it.

Reviewed June 27, 2010

I am currently staying at the Elounda Bay Palace Hotel with my husband. We are staying in the main hotel in a sea view room. The location is lovely and most of the staff are friendly. My disappointment is that we are on half board and we were told by our booking agent that we could choose whether to use the half board at lunch or dinner. This was very important to me as I am a professional chef at home and I am here on a "working" holiday. Since arriving at the hotel I was told that I can only use the HB at dinner only. I have spoken with the company I have booked it through and apparently the hotel used to do the option of lunch or dinner but changed the policy with out informing them. I have complained bitterly to reception and they have only offered me two days of lunch vouchers and the management have not even had the courtesy to speak to me directly. The hotel will not even allow the holiday firm to give me another two days of lunch vouchers. I feel very let down and I am bitterly disappointed. Also, I am six months pregnant and do not want to be going for my main meal during the day when it is so hot. The food generally is disappointing and exceptionally over priced. The F restaurant has main courses at over 40 Euros. I've worked and eaten at Michelin star restaurants around the globe and not paid these prices. The bars are empty because the drink prices are ridiculous therefore the hotel lacks atmosphere. The hotel has so much potential, I have worked hard enough and been fortunate to stay in many Leading Hotels of the World but this just isn't up to scratch.

4  Thank ChefYorks

Thank you for your report about The Elounda Bay Palace.
I am sorry that you were not informed by your booking agent about our change of policy. We have writen to them again asking them to change their information and website after your complaint.
We have given you credit to be used on 2 days at lunch in one of the restaurants as a gesture of goodwill but as you point out, being 6 months pregnant, you do not want to have a heavy meal midday therefore the evening meal is preferable.
In addition I would like to point out that the F Restaurant is not open at the moment, so I query how you can comment about main courses that cost over 40€?
As for the holiday firm giving you vouchers to eat at lunch time, they do not have vouchers to give, so again this is totally inaccurate.
As a professional chef, you will appreciate the dining options open to halfboard guests with the 25€ credit, including our 4 alternative a la carte restaurants in our sister hotel, as each are very different and of an extremely high standard.
I hope that realizing lunch was not an option on halfboard in our hotel will not spoil your overall holiday in our beautiful resort.

Reviewed June 22, 2010

This has been said many times before but the General Manager decides to do nothing .In one of his recent resposes he says that drinks are only 2 euros more than local bars. Our experience was that they were at least 3 times the price; just try the local tavernas down the road. Half a Litre of very nice House wine in the Taverna was 4 - 6 Euros. hotel price is minimum 16 Euros for half a bottle (375ml)! When we have stayed at similar hotels with sensible drinks prices the bars have been very busy. Here they are completely empty. This cannot make financial sense!
Apart from this,we had a great stay, and would go back again because we now know how to get a drink before or after a meal only a very short distance away.
Recent response from the manageralso accepts that there is a minor problem with rubbish in the sea water, but it is not serious, and can be expected in this area.

1  Thank skirlaughtravellers
RassoulisM, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2010

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. On our new website we shall be including the restaurant menus and bar menus with prices. Then anyone who is interested may see and draw their own conclusions as to how expensive TheElounda Bay Palace Hotel is in comparison to other 5 star hotels. Again I would like to point out that to compare our hotel and the quality and service to a local bar or taverna is unjust and unfair. However, the choice is and will always be, with the guest as to where they prefer to spend their evenings.
On behalf of the hotel and its staff I look forward to welcoming you once again for a future stay at The Elounda Bay Palace Hotel.

Reviewed June 20, 2010

This hotel is very nice, with a wonderful setting, containing it's own private beach.

The staff are generally extremely helpful, especially on arrival. The food is of a very high standard, especially where breakfast is concerned. Dinner was good too, although more emphasis on quality rather than selection quantity, but this is not a bad thing. Pools were nice too although it would be better if the main pool was freshwater.

The standard rooms are fairly good too, with nice wide balconys and an unusual touch of a TV in the bathroom!

I reccomend hiring a car for 2 or 3 days, and seeing places such as Lasithi Plateau and Kritsa village and the harbour at Aghios Nikolaos is a nice spot for lunch.

All in all a good hotel, but there are a few snags which I will describe here as I notice that the hotel management is in the habit of responding to all comments:

1. I will start with the biggest complaint and it is to do with the mini bar. It was not clear which items were compimentary and which were part of the mini bar. Obviously the items in the fridge were chargable, but items placed near it, such as nuts (which are free in most Cretan restaurants/bars/cafe plus in the bar area) and cookies should come with a clear notice that they are not complimentary. Please do not say it was obvious because it was NOT! Suffice to say we got a nasty shock when it came to checking out!

2. This seems to come up in every review, but the drinks prices were simply Scandinavian (this means expensive!). After seeing the drinks prices I thought we had gone to Norway by a mistake. Elounda Bay itself maybe almost as beautiful as a Nowegian Fjord but no need to authenticate the experience with drinks prices. Don't get me wrong the bar service and quality was excellent, but the pricing was too high.

3. Watersports were also overpriced. The two gentlemen who work the centre were a pleasure to deal with but the prices they were forced to charge. Well put it this way, it was cheaper to hire a car for a day with Hertz or 3 days with a local operator than 15 minutes on a jet ski!

4. A bit of flexibility with the half board option wouild have been nice! In most hotels you can opt to take your half board option at lunch, but this hotel just wouldn't do it. This was dissappointing.

5. This probably was not the hotel's fault but I will mention it and make a suggestion. Although the beaches were spotlessly clean and the water was crystal clear and it is a lovely place to swim there seemed to be a lot of plastic rubbish drifting towards the shore especially late in the day. The platices were cleared away promptly as soon as they reached the shore, but when snorkelling I could see alot of them. It would be a god idea for the hotel to employ someone to go out in a dinghy to fish any rubbish out about once or twice a day.

Other than those things great hotel!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
RassoulisM, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2010

Thank you for your review of The Elounda Bay Palace Hotel after your stay with us. It is always a reward for us to read how the guests have enjoyed their stay and a great compliment to us about our staff. The one or two snags that you mentioned I will be taken in to consideration when we review policy in the hotel.
On arrival the complimentary offer is always accompanied by a card or letter from the Hotel Manager welcoming you to the hotel, and other food items belong to the minibar and are situated beside it.
The continuing comments about the prices of the drinks in the bars at the hotel has led me to do some research, I can only report that the price difference between a local bar in the village square and the bars in our 5 star hotel amount to an average of 2€ per drink. If this is still considered expensive, then I rest my case, but will continue to serve our drinks of the high quality and highest of standards of service that our guests expect from a hotel of this rating. Our prices will remain the same.
The watersports are run by an individual comapny, therefore the hotel has no control over their prices.
The rubbish that sometimes appears in the sea, comes from a southerly wind that brings all the rubbish from ships that sail through the Mediterranean just off the island´s shores. We continue to do our best with staff frequently in the sea with nets when this happens but your suggestion of a small dingy will be considered.
I look forward to welcoming you again to The Elounda Bay Palace Hotel for another stay in the near future.

Reviewed June 9, 2010

We are sat here currently 1 week into a 2 week break, loving the staff and the excellent attention that they give you, and the incredible friendliness which is very welcome. However, £40 for our lunch today (the salad, chips and water were nice), 2 single beds pushed together for our "double" (doesn't make for a loving stay), paying for the gym every time we want to use it (especially given the smallness of it's size) seems unreasonable. In a nutshell, this place is set up for the new breed of Russians for whom money is no object (and of whom the residancy this week are 60% of a 33% full hotel), nothing is without considerable cost and will drive us UK tourists slowly out of its rooms. The only thing keeping us smiling are the staff.

Its fantastic that the general manager responds to many of the comments on here, and I have to say reflective of the amazing service that the proud staff at the hotel give. Unfortunately, I fear that its the decisions being made above the "local" team which are doing this hotel the most damage.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
RassoulisM, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2010

Thank you for taking the time on your holidays to write on Trip Advisor.
Your kind comments about our staff are well received and it is always a pleasure to know that their efforts are appreciated.
The policy of the hotel is based on years of listening to the guests and their suggestions, the prices are in line with other establishments of the same standard and take into consideration, all the costing of the high quality services and the quality of the products that we offer.
It is also to be taken in to consideration the fluctuating currencies, making it difficult for anyone outside the eurozone to have an accurate picture of the costs.
In fact, the hotel has reduced the prices compared to previous years, again at the suggestion of our guests for more price friendly bars etc, but there is a margin as to how far we can go and still keep the standards that our guests have come to expect.
At this particular time only 15% of the guests in the hotel are of Russian origin.
I hope that we will be able to meet during you stay with us, if not then I sincerely hope that we will be able to welcome you again for another stay at The Elounda Bay Palace Hotel.

Reviewed June 8, 2010

This is our first time stay at Elounda Bay after many visits to Elounda Beach over last ten years.We were gradually priced out of Elounda Beach and were increasingly uncomfortable by the large numbers of Russians. The prices at Elounda Bay for drinks and food is quite simply horrifically high and unsustainable for the Brits bearing in mind the exchange rate is almost parity. The hotel staff/taxi drivers /airport staff....indeed almost everyone local we spoke to cannot understand the crazy pricing policy which is and will drive away the Brits in large numbers.The Hotel cannot justify prices for drinks and food way in excess of those for top London Hotels and Restaurants. I simply do not understand the basic economics of the hotel pricing policy. It would be a delight to spend an hour or so having drinks with our group at the Hotel but was just not possible. The Hotel must miss out out hugely via their scewed pricing policy. On the plus side this is a magical location with great staff/service which we do not begrudge paying dearly for...but 12 euros ie approx £12.00 for a gin and tonic is a drink too far........by miles !!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
RassoulisM, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2010

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor. As the percentage of Russian guests staying at our resorts is only 15% I was suprised that you were made to feel uncomfortable by, what are usually, a fun loving nation.
Our pricing policy has been reviewed again and again in the past years and is in keeping with other Leading Hotels of the World and other European 5 star resorts. Therefore when quoting our prices in relation to other establishments, they must be of the same standard and not just the local restaurants and bars. 5 Star hotels will have prices to match the high stardard and quality that they provide.
It is our aim, even in these difficult times, not to let our standards drop and to provide our guests with the 5 star holidays that they have come to expect when booking The Elounda Bay Palace or The Elounda Beach Hotels.
I hope that we will be seeing you again in the near future for another stay at the resort that you have been so loyal to through out the years.

Reviewed June 5, 2010

My wife and I have just returned from a week at Elounda Bay Palace, and we were very disappointed with the hotel. On arrival at 9.00 pm we were not met by any hotel staff, and had to carry our own luggage to reception. We were then told that 2 of the 3 restaurants would not be available to us for 3 nightsas 2 conference parties would be using them. In fact the Ariadne restaurant was not open in the evening throughout our stay. The standard of food in the Aretousa reataurant was poor, with limited choice, poor presentation and generally cold cooked meals. Our "superior" bungalow was very small, the shower was inoperative for 2 days, and the Air Conditioning for 3 days and nights. The latter was only fixed after it had been reported 4 times. The hotel grounds were very scruffy, with uncut lawns and unkempt shrubs. On the plus side the location is good and the staff were all pleasant and helpful, but we shall NOT be returning!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your report on Trip Advisor, about your stay at The Elounda Bay Palace Hotel. We respect all the opinions of our guests and take in to consideration their comments when changing policy here at the hotel. It is a formular that has worked for the hotel for many years resulting in a large repeater guest rate.
Having already addressed all your comments and problems there is no reason for us to elaborate and so only leaves us with the hope to be welcoming you again soon to The Elounda Bay Palace Hotel for your next holidays.

General manager