“lovely to return”

Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
hampshire
“lovely to return”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Having stayed at Elounda Bay Palace 11 years ago were really excited to return.Having booked half board this time we weren't disappointed ,we knew the breakfast buffet was good but i think it's got even better and the evening buffet was equally as good every body catered for including children.The seating arrangements were a bit caotic some guests returned from the buffet to find their tables had been cleared for other guests,beware always leave someone on guard duty.The main hotel areas haven't changed and are still in immaculate condition and are spotless as are the rooms although the rooms could do with a 5* makeover as fitting with the Leading Hotels of the world label. The only downside was we had a very disruptive couple of people near our room too near for comfort for four out of seven nights of our stay the hotel staff handled this as best as they could but it gives the british a bad name

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank chillHampshire
ManagementCrete, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
We were delighted to welcome you again to the Elounda Bay Palace for another holiday at our unique resort. We regret that you were disturbed by disruptive behaviour we tried very diplomatically to inform the couple that their arguments and drinking was upsetting some other guests. Your comments about the seating arrangements for dinner and indeed the whole system will be under review this winter so we may improve and provide the dining experience with choices and options for all guests. Our accommodation is being renovated in stages and this winter the programme shall continue so we would look forward to seeing you again at the Elounda Bay Palace for a future stay.

Manolis Rassoulis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 15, 2013

After reading the other review of Elounda Bay Palace before our trip, we were a bit apprehensive about what we would find when we got to Elounda. Luckily, we were extremely impressed by nearly everything we encountered during our 3 night stay.

Let me first say that no one is saying this hotel is a 4 Seasons or Ritz Carlton, and I do think the price was fair given the half board, drinks, and location.

The entire staff that we met was so friendly (minus the towel/umbrella guys that weren't so nice) and we were always made to feel welcomed. We were invited to a manager's coctail hour which was SO nice and upscale. The food was OUTSTANDING. Truly, some of the best food we had in Greece during our entire 2 week honeymoon. Krista (?), this adorable tiny woman who was our server for both breakfast and dinner, was beyond lovely and so great. Unlike other reviews that said that the buffet was uncivilized, I found it quite the opposite. Whenever we went for meals, we found everything to be calm, well organized, and clean. Also, all of the common areas of the hotel were beautiful, well maintained, and decorated beautifully.

The room was definitely average, but we were greeted with a nice bottle of wine and plate of treats upon our welcome. One gripe I would have is that our bed was in fact 2 twin mattresses pushed together, so I found myself rolling into the crack in the middle every night. However, we booked the least expensive room so we weren't expecting 5 star.

All in all, I'd absolutely recommend Elounda Bay Palace and would absolutely return in the future. No question!

Room Tip: Honestly, the least expensive "Mountain view" rooms are just fine. There's so much to...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagementCrete, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Thank you for sharing your special honey moon memories with the Trip Advisor website readers. We are delighted that we were able to make special your start to your honeymoon. We wish you a lifetime of happiness and look forward to welcoming you, and future generations, back to the Elounda Bay Palace Hotel to relive our Cretan Hospitality.

melbourne
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My family and I visited the Elounda Bay Palace resort in August this year. We booked half board which included Breakfast and Dinner. The Food was Delicious and great quality...but it stops there!!
The rooms in this resort are very run down...needs a face lift,
The resort is very expensive...
Beach was clean .. and overal a comfortable stay. Manoli the head chef was very friendly.

Room Tip: Breakfast is buffet..can get hectic!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ayios
ManagementCrete, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for writing a review on the Trip Advisor website. We are delighted that you enjoyed the food and the overall experience here at the Elounda Bay Palace hotel. We look forward to welcoming you again and sincerely hope that you will write again on this website when you have seen the renovations and refurbishment that are planned for the winter.

Kind Regards,

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This was our first visit to this island and it did not disappoint. On arrival we were warmly greeted by two members of the reception team at our taxi, taken into the hotel where after the formalities we were informed that we had been upgraded to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We were then escorted by the lovely Victoria and shown around our bungalow with seawater pool which was shared with two other bungalows. These bungalows were in a quiet area of the hotel grounds overlooking the Island of Spinalonga - a stunning view!

We too had earlier been worried about previous reviews posted here but from the arrival, throughout our stay up to our departure we found all the hotel staff, without exception, to be friendly, helpful, courteous and appear to be happy in their work.

If we were to make any critique it would be the buffet meals each evening which we did find to be repetitious although themed evenings were apparent we personally would not give this a 5* rating.

The Elounda Bay hotel is facing the stunning Bay of Mirabello and the island of Spinalonga and would recommend, subject fitness and temperatures, to walk from Elounda village across the causeway to the peninsula of Spinalonga up the mountain road and see the view from the top towards the Elounda Bay and Beach hotels. This view is just stunning looking across the deep blue ocean and well worth the trek!

Our thanks to the Management team at the Elounda Bay Palace we both had a very enjoyable holiday and intend to visit again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagementCrete, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Many people have read the reviews on this site and we are always very happy to hear from anyone who is worried about a reservation. Indeed encourage people to contact the hotel where we have a reservations team dedicated to making all of our guest feel quite at home. We have also received a lot of correspondence from guests who support us and who thank us for the Cretan hospitality that they have enjoyed during their stay. It is so rewarding for all our staff for it to be acknowledged that all their hard work and efforts have enhanced your holidays here with us. We have noted your comments about the repetition of the buffet and our Food and Beverage manager shall be reviewing this and making changes. We look forward to welcoming you again to the Elounda Bay Palace for another holiday with us in the near future

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 8, 2013

There is a vast difference between Elounda Bay and Elounda Beach. (beware when booking).
My travel agent booked me on the latter property, being confident that the resort was a "Leading Hotels of the World" property. Clearly Leading Hotels of the World has not traveled to this property in recent times, and just accepts the fees paid by the hotel to be listed on their website.
Upon arrival late and tired from traveling all day, we were shown to our $459.00 Euro per night room. words can not express the disconnect of what I was seeing vs my expectation of what that rate would afford you.
We had a room that was tiny, decorated in bad 70's decor and facing the entrance of the hotel.
The one A/C unit was broken and blowing warn air into the room. the bathroom was horrible
and hot and had a creepy hole in the wall, I been to nicer hostels in my youth.
Upon complaining to that night manager about the air, they stated that there was not anything to be done until the morning, when the engineers would be back on the property.
That was just the beginning of the issues.
The following morning, we again asked to be transferred out of the room and for the air to be repaired while we waited because it was so humid and uncomfortable in the room.
While we waited we decided to go to breakfast. (bad move).
It was the most uncivilized experience...chaotic and frankly would make anyone loose their appetite, a crazed crowed of a hundred people trying to get to a buffet, with children running wild and adults pushing while trying to get to the sausage, really?
We left, now we are hungry and having not slept well due to a/c issue and not wanting to go back to the room, I went looking for the manager, who was hiding in her office and would not come out.
I packed my bags and waited in the lobby for an upgrade to Elounda Beach were the rooms I was told were nicer. They were fully booked so I had to wait for someone to check out.
6 hours later the hotel manager called me to tell me they had a room upgrade.
After showing me some figures on a notepad (was I buying a used car)??? is this a 4 star hotel?? Where am I?? oh wait Greece.
They upgraded me to a 795.00 Euro per night room.
I of course had to pay the difference. I was transferred to a larger room, facing the restaurant and the sports center. nicer, still hot and very noisy.
We were there for 4 days and then I once more had to move rooms because of a previous booking. This time I was transferred to a sea view room, very nice, still hot, only one small A/C unit per room and a bathroom that smelled like rotten eggs, same ugly decor and upon close inspection of the beautiful sea, we spot tons of toilet paper floating in the water.
courtesy, I assumed of a large Saudi boat, parked downwind of the hotel.
and or either the detritus of the hotel toilets, I have no idea, but I did not fancy a swim in the water.
The food was grossly overprice, as were the drinks. They tried on one of the restaurant to give us cheap vodka, after we had order Beluga vodka, when we complaint to the manager, he said the waiter had gotten confused...really?
The only nice part of the hotel was the beautiful spa.
The service in the rest of the hotel was terrible. (the staff has a major attitude).
at the time of check out, I was presented with a bill for my stay that reflected a price increase that was not agreed upon-they charged me $1000.00 Euros a night plus taxes.
The manager of course was nowhere no be found and I had to leave to catch my flight.
I was livid, they hotels knows you are trapped, the rooms are non refundable and you basically
have no recourse. would not recommend this hotel at all, steer clear of this property.
I will be sending a letter to Leading hotels of the world asking for an explanation.
With photos of the rooms, I am appalled that they would list Elounda Bay as Leading anything except an exceptional ability to deceive their client, which by the way are majority of Russian nationality and used to paying high prices for poor service I would assume? this would never happen or be allowed to happen in the States.
The only nice rooms, are the newer rooms by the spa. (if you must stay at this place).
Greek tragedy is an understatement.

Room Tip: Make sure you are booked at the Elounda Beach resort and not the Elounda Bay. Elounda beach is the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Nomadicbynature2014
Oh Dear!! If the readers of the Trip Advisor website are as confused as we first were when reading this review, then may we be of assistance in shedding some light on to the root of the problem. Upon their arrival they discovered that their friends were accommodated at the sister hotel. All that followed this was a carefully orchestrated manoeuvre to obtain a complimentary room in the sister hotel with friends. Unfortunately there were limited options that the sister hotel had to offer as it was in peak season and fully booked. Obviously you can not pay 492 euros to the one hotel The Elounda Bay Palace, for a main building garden view accommodation half board with drinks, and expect to receive a waterfront suite with the rate of 1520 euros per night bed and breakfast, in the other hotel, The Elounda Beach without paying the extra rate. The rate we generously gave a 48% discount on, in order for the friends to be together, they agreed to pay was the exact amount of 795 euros. The hotels went out of their way to satisfy the demands of the reviewer and we are disappointed that the efforts of all our staff who were involved were obviously completely dismissed. On that note we have only to add that this website should not be a sounding board for racism. We have a varied international clientele in both of our hotels with no one nationality dominating and regret if for some people this is not acceptable.

With regards
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 7 nights in the first week of september. We were worried based on some negative reviews and can appreciate some of the comments regarding room allocation (we booked a sea view which took us a day to get once we arrived-we were originally allocated an upgrade as they had over allocated the room we had booked but the view was of the back of the garden!) however the location of the hotel is incredible, the coast line is stunning and probably the best in crete.
We were half board and the food was great and very plentiful however we found the buffet experience a bit stressful due to the behaviours of other nationalities (this hotel is v popular with Russians.....) Also tip for the guys, stick to trousers for the evening buffet to avoid an embarrassing confrontation despite other guests being in shorts..very confusing-rules were not consistent for everyone! We also felt that small touches like greetings by staff etc weren't always consistent as they were clearly understaffed and had no time to engage in polite conversation.
Would love to come back to the Elounda Beach Hotel which had stunning sea side villas that we saw from the Jetty Bar (very quiet bar-no one seemed to know about it but reminded us of a James Bond style bar experience!) however with the likes of Maria Carey, Bono and others staying there, its safe to say the ££ for those is far above our budget!

In summary, great location, half board definitely recommended (with drinks included-otherwise would have been really expensive) and don't forget your Russian phrase book!!

Room Tip: Make sure you tell the staff STRAIGHT AWAY if you are unhappy with your room ideally before they lea...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SalAlice30
Thank you for sharing your holiday experience on the Trip Advisor website. We are delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay in the Elounda Bay Palace. The one or two points that you raised for example the dress code in the main restaurant in the evenings are under review by the management. We shall certainly be reassessing our policies and all this will be discussed during our winter period in readiness for the coming season.. We would look forward to welcoming you back to either of our Elounda Properties as the guests from one hotel are invited to use the facilities and venues of the sister hotel so affording all our guests unlimited choice in all areas of our resort.

Manchester
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed half board for 11-nights and had opted for a superior sea view room. Booked via Thomson. The booking process and taxi transfers (by Thomson) was flawless.

Our taxi was greeted by Victoria (very welcoming and pleasant guest relations team member), and we were escorted to the reception and then to the room (324) by her. This set us up for an excellent stay! The room was comfortable, traditional and there was complimentary wine and fruit; a nice touch. We enjoyed the balcony and it was very relaxing to sit there; the view was great and the sound of the sea very soothing.

The bathroom was OK in size, but the shower was great. The complimentary toiletries were of good quality.

We really liked the many spaces available for enjoying the gorgeous weather; from beach areas (two), a pool side area and many shaded grassy terraces. We did not take part in any of the water sports but saw many guests having a great time enjoying the varied activities on offer. The gym was OK; bit small and with very few weights but adequate.

We ate most nights in the Aretousa restauraunt; the food was fresh, of a high quality and varied. The service was exceptional. Special thanks to Maria who served us most days and made the experience so enjoyable. The breakfast was also good and the omelette cooks are fantastic.

One gripe I have is about the dress code for dinner; men are not allowed shorts. Whilst sports shorts should be unacceptable, decent casual shorts should be allowed in the hot weather. It was also strange that women could wear shorts or skirts (some very, very skimpy ones!) but men had to cover their legs. And we also found some guys with shorts, so the rule was not applied consistently.

The hotel had guests of many nationalities, but the majority appeared to be Russians. It would have been nicer if they smiled and engaged with other guests and not been so aloof...well!

The location is good; only 10-15 min walk from Elounda. I would recommend walking there, by the salt flats. We had lunch and a few dinners in Elounda and enjoyed this, as a break from the hotel food.

I would recommend this hotel, but a few negatives:

Drinks in the hotel are expensive; go to Elounda!
The Security guard will stop you at random to ask if you stay there: serves no purpose!
The dinner dress code for men: See above
The Wi-Fi: abysmal. Poor connectivity, poor speeds and poor coverage.

Room Tip: Ask for a superior sea view. Avoid bungalows.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DocWhoManchester
ManagementCrete, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for sharing your holiday experience with the readers of the Trip Advisor website. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and the holiday lived up to your expectations. Your ‘gripes’ have been noted and as we do in the winter, reassess the hotel and its facilities your points shall be taken in to consideration when we adjust our policies and services. We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you again for a future stay to the Elounda Bay Palace.

Manois Rassoulis