“A Palace !!!!! yes from Minoan rating”
Review of Elounda Bay Palace

Elounda Bay Palace
Ranked #14 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
UAE
“A Palace !!!!! yes from Minoan rating”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Date of stay August for two nights, my profile 2 adults 1 child, direct booking no tour operator, charged full price at season pick rate. One last thing before to start, this is not my impressions but my feedback as I do have 31 years of experience in hospitality industry only in PALACES around the World, including World Award winners resorts an city Hotels. Let's make it clear it was not my first choice a my first choice was declined as I have a child and some properties in Elounda do not accept animals and Children!!! And finally my first trip in Creete was in 1985, including running a business on the Island for 2 years. so let's go, and I hope that as a real Palace there is an office where people get the Tripadvisor alerts and channel them to the head office. Booking was made specifying room with King size bed, Breakfast. Have you ever see a Palace where you park 5 minutes walking dragging your luggage as at the time you need the buggy there is no more buggy as informed by a kind of gate keeper, therefore after dragging the luggage for 3 persons i reached a basement from where i did manage to find the reception, once there i was informed that as I was early 0700 PM !!!! for check in I will have to wait until 0800 PM to get the room, in this case what a Palace does?? they invite you to refresh and offer you the possibilty to have food and drinks and relax, NO NO not in Elounda Bay palace, they give you a map of Elounda. just a small chapter in regard to reception team!! generally in a Palace the people speaks a language that the client understand when they talk about them with their colleagues (half asleep) NO NO not in Elounda Bay palace, the staff speaks only Greek to make sure that you do not undersant or to make you feel that you are inferior because you do not understand the language of the Olympians, as I do have a good knowledge of the country I took my family to the taverna of my old good friend in Plaka and came back at 1100 PM to be guided to a room (if you go please enjoy the elevator of the Palace the last one that i saw like this was in 1985 in Akti Zeus, near Heraklion and more recently in Eurodisney and there it is called Hollywood tower and is an entertaInmement , then the door open to discover 3 single beds!!! hahahaha of course i asked for king bed!!!, however there was amenities, just one thing concernig amnenity generally a Palace who offer white wine present it in Ice not at room temperature, and generally after 48 hours remove the fruits in a simple operation call turndown, anyway after trying to extract myself from the bathroom, it is finally time to seat after a long trip on the balcony, and enjoy Anemos (The wind) as generally at this period the soft meltem cross the island, but NO NO not in Elounda bay Palace , as suddenlly from distance you can hear a kind of scream that you identify to be the singer of the PALACE and you can imagine easily that she is trying to entertaIn late night clients who have enjoyed too much the Ambrosia and all inclusive local wine at the buffet, however when you do not drink and try to relax the scream of this poor performer does not allow you to do so, then as it is enough for the day. you decide to go to bed, as the temperature is a bit hot you decide to put the AC, and honestly I have never seen such technology like AC coming from under the TV in a Palace !!!!! after a good night sleep come the time of breakfast!!!!! i will not go in this in details but obvioulsy the buffet of the night before is recycled, and in case you have any allergy there is no signs on the buffet to warn you (we have no allergies), there is a healthy corner with two smoothies premaid as you need to recycle the fruits of the amenities !!!! and of course like the white wine they are kept at room temperature to make sure that process of fermentation will start. Finally it is time to enjoy the pool, as in any Palace you do look for the towel cabana, however i was simply told to look for the pool staff to get a towel, after running around the pool finally I do find a guy and ask him for towels answer was quite straight forward No more towels out of stock !!!! Out of stock of pool towels like in any Palace in the world, and like in any Palace the pool staff ask me if he can help !!! NO NO not in Elounda Bay palace, he simply walked away ,of course like any Palace the pool water is clear and so soft! NO NO not in Elounda Bay palace, there is so much salt that the swim turns to be a bleach burning the eyes as if you would be in a demonstration where tear gas have been shot. And it is finally after 9 days while i was talking my child to visit Phaestos ruins that I understood the signification of Palace and assume that the rating of Elounda Bay palace is dated from Minoan age, and yes in this case Elounda Bay is a Palace, I only hope one thing and it's that the Management will not invite me to come back as a compensation recovery !!! And by the way i also had the great pleasure to carry my lugage to the car when leaving but with the smile of the person who knows that finally it is over
So if you have to choose to stay a while in a Palace choose Phaestos it is only 6 euro.
Elounda Bay palace fell in all compartments but the award goes to the Reception team as i think that I never seen such a level of lack of consideration for the client.
Forgot to mention the most bizarre, was to wake up at 0730 AM to find on the door the doorknob mentioining "we came to do your room, but Do not disturb was on!!!" considering that i went to bed at 1130 PM and woke up at 0700 PM does it mean that the rooms are cleaned during the night YES of course like in any Palace across the World, but in this case why the room was not yet ready at 0700 PM when I checked in???
Thank You Elounda Bay Palace for this great experience and NO you are not a Palace barely a 3 stars hotel in a French region, i remember that a few years ago looking for a place to stay late at night i asked to one Cretan Hotelier in a boutique lodge in Sitia how many stars he had, he took me outside, pointed the sky and told me "Look I have all the stars" , since that day i visit this place every year, the smile is always there, the welcome is always there and the rate is 85 Euro per night, but there is no singer, no hot white wine, no salty pool no rude staff, no fermented smoothies. Just one question why do you charge the price of a major city or resort top hotel per night ???? To finish please note that the hairs and hair in the batchroom were not the one of my family and not even mine so i left them maybe the owner of these hairs will come back
I only hope one thing and it's that the Hotel does not hav a recovery policy and would offer me to come back for a new stay
Next stay in Elounda will be either Blue Palace, or Domes of Elounda, for more unexpected Palace experience as there is no room in Phaestos Palace the only real palace in Creete with Knossos, but Knossos I do not like the colour of the wall painting Sir Evans has not used the best colors
And let's make it clear I do not complaint I just give a feedback
Yassas

11 Thank oktapuce
ManagementCrete, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
We would like to thank you for your feedback and to say that your comments have been noted. Unfortunately you are under the impression that you booked directly with the Elounda Bay Palace, however this is not the case. Your reservation came via a tour operator, via an online travel agent and the name on our reservation from the last Travel Agent in the string was not the name you gave on your arrival. Hence your name did not show up as having a reservation in our hotel. Regardless of this our staff did suggest that you could dine in the hotels restaurant that evening whilst they sorted out the reservation issue and found you a room but you said that you preferred to go to see friends. As we have taken the trouble to read all the other reviews that you have made we can see that they follow a pattern. We regret that we were not able to meet your expectations and hope that you find another hotel in the area that would be better suited to your needs.

Sincerely

Manolis Rassoulis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Came with Thomsons first mistake 3 of us 15 yo son given a camp bed in a room fit for troglodytes managed to get a suitable room after approaching hotel Thomson,s James utterfly useless "what can I do for you" just give me what I paid for . This was as special holiday for me and Tomsons and Elounda Palace screwed it up for me
I may never be able to return
But please vote with your feet

D

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank jimmcalister
As with other reviews we are aware of which client has written on the Trip Advisor. It is always disappointing to read that despite having given the client exactly what their booking stated and then changing their accommodation upon their request without extra charge, to find that we have still been reviewed so harshly. From all accounts you actually enjoyed your stay and should you decide to return we would be delighted to assist you with your reservation so you would be accommodated in the correct category. We would look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Elounda Bay Palace for a future stay.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013

The Elounda Bay Palace is not quite what I was expecting. Having thought we were going to a top quality hotel (and paid expecting that) on arrival we were a little disappointed. The staff on reception were great and very welcoming, however this impression did not stand once we got to our rooms. We booked 2 adjoining rooms, and was surprised at how out dated they were. The TV's in both rooms looked to have come from the early 90's, the controller to one was so worn you had to work out what the buttons did by trial and error. The sofa in one room looked like it had not been given a thorough clean in years with stains all over it.

We were also pretty surprised at the lack of Wi-Fi across the hotel. The connection in the rooms was patchy at best, and none elsewhere in the hotel (at least none we could find).

Breakfast and evening meals are served in a buffet restaurant. Breakfast was pretty good, with a reasonable variety of choice (can highly recommend the rice pudding). Lots of fresh fruit and Greek yoghurt, as you might expect, but also a range of cooked and pastries on offer. The staff cooking in the buffet were always friendly and welcoming, the lady on the fried eggs station particularly so.

The evening buffet was not so good. The hotel advertises different cuisines for 7 days, I can't say I noticed a huge difference myself. By day 8 we were all becoming quite bored with the selection. The restaurant staff were friendly, however we felt the maitre'd didn't really have a great deal of time for some of the guests, content to stick us out the way outside rather than in the main seating area, where the live entertainment was.

You also have to be pretty careful of the drinks prices in all the bars and restaurants, and the little tricks that are played. On night one we ordered what we were assured was a very nice red wine, at 32 euros a bottle, only to discover the same bottle in the highly priced mini market on the way onto Elounda for 11 euros. Now I expect a bit of price hiking in a hotel, but by that much? Really? Watch out as well for the water. If you don't expressly ask for a carafe of water you will end up paying through the nose for still bottled. We also had a ridiculously priced lunch at the restaurant by the pool/beach. In the end we walked into Elounda for lunch on the days we were at the pool. Much better quality, and much more reasonable prices.

On the up side, most of the staff were friendly and helpful, the pool areas were clean and well maintained, and despite the issues above we did have a good holiday.
One thing this hotel is not is value for money, and based on our room and facilities not 5* either.
I can’t help but think that the British are are not the customers the management are looking for…
...fair enough.

Room Tip: I'm sure there are some good ones. Maybe try booking direct or via Russia...
3 Thank HelsLou
ManagementCrete, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for your review about your holiday at the Elounda Bay Palace. We regret that it did not live up to your expectations. We have noted your comments about the facilities and the rooms which we shall be taking into consideration during our winter renovation programme. We always take the opinions of all our guests seriously and by so doing are able to provide more of the quality and variety that is expected from guests that have chosen the Elounda Bay Palace. When comparing the cost of wines and beverages it must be taken into consideration that the price drinks in a supermarket can not be expected to be the same as when served to you in a 5 star hotel. Or pricing policy is always carefully monitored and we can inform you that the prices in the Elounda Bay Palace are lower than prices in comparable hotels across the Mediterranean. We would look forward to welcoming you for a future stay at the Elounda Bay Palace in the near future.

UK
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Just back from a week at Elounda Bay Palace and here is my view of the pros and cons of this place.

Pros

Great location as just a short walk in to Elounda and only an hour taxi ride from Heraklion. Lovely beaches and plenty of sun beds - despite a frustrating situation where they were reserved with towels by most guests by nine in the morning you could always get another one put out by the pool/beach guys. Crystal clear sea, and lovely grounds. The sail bar was also very nice but rather expensive. Staff were generally good, and the lady who welcomed us particularly so. They also gave us 2 x 50 euro vouchers for the spa which was a nice gesture.

Cons

In terms of rooms I think this is really a place where you get the room you paid for. We had a bungalow with sea view and it was basic. Furniture was old, and one cupboard door partly damaged, the TV/Stereo setup looked like it was from the 90's, the bathroom shower was covered by a curtain and regardless of tactics we ended up with water all over the floor. As per previous comments the hairdryer was stuck to a wall via a long hose the like of which has not been seen since the 70's. The air con also did not work initially but to be fair it was quickly rectified. We did however see that there were some amazing rooms with infinity pools so if you had one of these it would probably be an entirely different experience. That said ours was not exactly cheap.

We thought food was ok, but nothing special particularly the evening buffet. One night was called something like healthy eating night, which seemed to mean that there was just less food than usual. There was often quite a lot of chaos as well in the dining room, one evening they clearly did not have enough staff and had to get the man who normally drives the carts around the resort to step in. The maitre'd can also be very rude as I witnessed when a poor woman slipped and nearly dropped her food, and his only concern was how to clear up the mess!

Be warned that despite the food being buffet in the evening they insist on men wearing long trousers at night. This was apparently on the website but it was not on our information from Sovereign. I could understand this if the food was not served buffet style at tables mainly outside, and women were also required to dress up. However, it seems over the top for the type of set-up they have and particularly in mid August with no air con. This is apparentlyfor hygiene reasons, which I struggle to understand as shorts are fine for the breakfast buffet which is in exactly the same area. Eventually we decided to rebel as each time we went in there were at least 2-3 men in shorts, so my partner did the same and nobody said a thing. To be fair to Sovereign they also offered some reimbursement towards a pair of trousers.

As per previous comments pool was also out of action on day of overall which was a disappointment after a day's travelling. We also left a kindle by the sunbed one day (entirely our fault) and were disappointed it was not handed in or found which you would expect at this type of hotel.

All in all the hotel feels a bit tired and like it could do with a refurb. Most of the staff try hard but I agree with others it does not feel like a LHW.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank emscie
ManagementCrete, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for your review on the Trip Advisor website. It is our aim to ensure all our guests have the holiday experience to meet their expectations when booking a hotel as unique as the Elounda Bay Palace, located in its own bay with its sister hotel the Elounda Beach commanding over 1000m of Mediterranean coast line. The décor of the hotel is deliberately kept in the traditional Cretan style and the theme runs throughout the resort. The technology within the rooms is one of the things that shall be updated during our refurbishment. The dress code policy of the hotel to request that guests wear smart casual attire which includes long trousers for gentlemen is one that the hotel observes out of respect for the many guests who have, over the years, asked for us to keep this standard for evening meal. We always consider the opinions of the majority of our guests when making policy which affects the service of the hotel. Many guests when on holiday in a 5 star hotel like to have the ambience of dressing up for dinner after spending the whole day in beachwear. We shall be taking your comments in to consideration when we reassess the hotel and the facilities during the winter. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Elounda Bay Palace for a future stay with us.

Lewes, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We approached our holiday with some trepidation - the reviews in the past year or so had not been positive. - so we were delighted on our arrival and subsequent 10 day holiday that all reviews are not to be believed! We opted for two rooms in the main hotel with a full sea view - they were spotlessly clean (chambermaids twice a day) and comfortable; although slightly dated and not LHW standard. We found the staff very friendly and incredibly helpful - from the time we arrived and were met personally outside the hotel through to the restaurant and bar staff and the pool and garden attendants (a special mention to Irini who served us drinks by the pool everyday with a smile and sense of humour). The food was excellent - a wide variety of dishes with a different theme every evening. The Gala night on Sundays with beef wellington, salmon, prawns etc was particularly delicious. We were half board plus - this included free local wine, beer and soft drinks which was an added bonus. The layout of the hotel is fabulous - beautifully kept gardens and beach (which were washed down and attended to every morning), plenty of sunbeds and surrounded by lovely old trees which gave a welcome shade. The Sail-in Bar is in a wonderful position and it was lovely to have evening drinks there with a lively atmosphere. A couple of negative points - the WiFi in the hotel is not good, drinks in the bars are quite expensive and we could have done with some evening entertainment for our teenage children. However these were minor things which did not spoil what was a lovely holiday - we would definitely return and recommend the hotel to others..

Room Tip: There are some lovely bungalows with shared pools and executive suites which for four of us were out...
3 Thank corfel
ManagementCrete, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
We are delighted to read that you and your family have had such a wonderful holiday with us and have taken the time to share your thoughts and memories with the Trip Advisor website. We aim to provide the best of hospitality and friendliness combined with good food and relaxation in our unique water front location. We appreciate that you have enjoyed the variety of buffets and dining options that our chefs work so hard to produce for our guests. We shall be revising our wifi during the winter period and so providing a better internet connection and service for our guests next season and we shall definitely be thinking up some entertainment aimed at the teenagers so they have enjoyable evenings. We look forward to welcoming you and your family again for a future stay at the Elounda Bay Palace.

Uk
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Here's the Elounda Bay Palace Hotel Games list for this year....

To start, players have to know that it has a mainly has a Russian clientele.
And Russians like to 'tip'....

Game 1... Finding the Room you Booked

Handicap: Arriving in the evening.

If players arrive after 9pm, the previous guests will seemingly have bagged all the best rooms..... including theirs.

The travel-tired players may well arrive grasping a booking which says: 'Sea View with Balcony'.

They may find themselves shown to a room on the ground floor with no balcony and sea in sight. It may not have a working lock, a bedside light...but have a dodgy TV and a sink which doesn't drain.

The receptionist may assume that, late at night, crestfallen players won't notice the room is nothing like the one they booked.

Desperate for food and rest, players may be assured that the lock 'will be fixed' while they eat ...and then return to find no change. They must wait around, cases packed, until a man arrives, looks at the lock..and goes away.

Even at 11pm, if the weary players accept an inferior room - they lose.

The game continues as the players ask if they can pay for an upgrade..for a room with a fabulous working lock and a little sea view, even though they have forgotten to pack a telescope.

Young 'T' from reception may curtly inform players that they must stay in this appalling set up, and use the patio doors to go out.

Players may riposte: 'Are we expected to go to breakfast via the unlocking patio doors - leaving our room open?'...And add: 'Find us our booked room now,' in cross, but plaintive tones..

'T' might firmly state triumphantly that every room in the hotel is occupied.

Players must counter: 'Fine ..We'll just sleep in reception until one becomes vacant.

'It will give us time to write this up on:

..................................................................'TRIP ADVISOR'

With this magic incantation , 'T's ' memory will be jogged and he will stamp forward to their booked balcony room with a lock , balcony, working TV and a sea view, (and bedside lamp) immediately.

'See , it was there all the time!' players may loudly point out in unison.

Sulky 'T' will stalk off down the corridor, with his ears back, like a cat.

- The players will then find out that there is no lock on the old fashioned key-lock safe, which, in any case, doesn't hold I-pads. 'Grr,' they will say.

Another version of Game 1

Bungalow bumping:

Although their pay-though-the-nose on-line booking may say Room 7, with a fine sea-view, late arriving players might be offered room 2, after rejecting the musty stench in Bungalow 3 (see other reviews). (Last players to arrive might get Bungalow 3).

For €400 a night, Bungalow 2 has a fine panoramic view ...of a wall.

If they accept out of sheer lateness and desperation, players may wait two days for a sea-view checking their booking, shaking their fist at the wall and fuming.

Game 2 : Reception Russian Room Roulette

This game is to keep a straight face while listening to firm-speaking Russians at reception, stating they have paid €500 a night for rooms and they are 'rubbish', or words to that effect.

To maintain cordial diplomatic relations, realise that for some unaccountable reason they lost game 1, sympathise and maintain a dignified silence.

Game 3: Beach Bed Swap.

A very nice beach, right by the hotel, patrolled by bed men. Beds are in rows.

Party (1) bags two beds, right by the sea, by arriving early. The bed boy will place their towels n the beds and, beds now reserved, Party 1 will retire for breakfast.

Party (2) arrives at 9.30 and covets the beds. With a quick word to the bed man and the passing of some kind if note ( presumably from the management) the bed man places the note in his waist bag .....and removes party 1's towels, placing party 2' towels on the beds.

When Party 1 arrives back.. if they are gentle, puzzled French people they move beds, muttering.

Or , if Russian, an entertaining, vocal squabble will arise between the opposing players.
More interested parties might join in.

If Party 1 stands their ground - and calls the management, Party 1 wins the beds back.

To avoid play, choose beds at the back. They are nearer the swimming pool anyway.

Game 4 : The Sea - Dodge the Plastic

For the first two days the hotel bay may have lots of discharged macerated bits of plastic floating about in it. The game here is to swim far enough out, to dodge the bits.

Game 5: Pool

One day, the fine hotel swimming pool may be empty.

The reason given - 'an accident'. A player loses if they expect a hotel to have a pool - and dive in where it should be. Thus the rotary game continues with another 'accident'.

Game 6: Climbing Bed Game

The hard beds in the rooms are based on concrete blocks, with one side joined to the wall.

Guests can enjoy the morning game, where one participant had to climb over the other - without waking them. Extra points for not hitting knees on the bed's hard corner. Swearing loudly and hopping disqualifies the climber.

NB: A 'Mystery Mat' is placed by the beds every night.
This is for the convenience of contestants - to pray hard, for a better bed.

Game 7: Hair dryer huffffff

These are the feeble cream ones, popular in the seventies.
The theory is that they are driven by the people running on the machines in the gym downstairs.
The game here is to shout: ' Faster people, I need to go out tonight.'

Game 8 :Greek Night Shuffle in the sister hotel... ( why do hotels never have brothers?)
The Elounda Beach Hotel

This is a very expensive game as to have to pay stakes of an extra £55, making it €100 a head overall.

When players arrive and state they are from the Elounda Bay Hotel, they might be given the worst table in the restaurant, where the meat barbecue wafts great spirals of thick grey smoke over their entire party - eliciting coughing- and smoked evening finery.

They may complain to the under Maitre D, who gives the traditional shrug and says: 'It is a problem', and walks off in the customary nonchalant manner.

At this point players may call him back and issue their trump card: 'TRIP ADVISOR'

Players will be moved to fresh air table. To maintain dignity, the under Maitre D will turn and say: 'It's nothing to do with 'TRIP ADVISOR'.

Players may not speak to one another as the music is very loud and it is no use them wishing that they were at a sedate Deep Purple concert instead. Players may decide to leave before any plate smashing, as they have seen the piles of greasy plates, available for diners at the buffet.

The departing group are not allowed to say: 'Total Rip Off', more than the required three times, after sampling the food, which, surprisingly - considering the prices - is not as good as it is the in the Elounda Bay Palace.....As is the atmosphere and most other things (especially the staff ...- T') Players may add : 'Thank goodness we didn't fork out for that hotel'.

Game 9: Beat the lunch prices.
The price for a thin bread sandwich with processed cheese and maybe some ham ( not sure on this point), a few chips and a curled lettuce leaf is €11.

For three players, it is cheaper to take a taxi to Elounda (€5) and eat at the All-in-One cafe on the front, by the harbour and the taxi rank. Nicer sandwiches at around €5-6. Drinks are half price. Free wi-fi. Game includes return taxi - €5

Game 10: Bill check fun

Players should insist, if paying cash, that they get their change, in the Sail Bar.

And when a bill for €240 is presented on the final day, players should state: 'Show us the receipt for we know that this bill was signed for by someone else , with an entirely different room number'.
The amount will then be shifted to the right player's bill.

Extra games...

Thomson Torture!

If players book this Platinum hotel, Thomson offers a choice of seat 'chosen by you' ( see brochure) on the flight.

Players may pay £90 for extra for legroom ..and be offered Row 12 seats , to which they agree.

Players may check this with the Thomson travel agent twice....once on the phone and once when they go to collect the tickets.

When players get to the airport, they might find that they have been unaccountably bumped out of Row 12 and put in Row 32, with a partial-view ...and scent ...of an open toilet.

The return flight-desk attendant may inform players that the people in Row 12 'booked the seats before they did' ... therefore Thomson must of sold the same seats twice.

The Thomson rep may inform players that even though they have a screen shot of the contract, it means nothing - and laugh.... hahaha!.... Thomson can do what they like on seating... 'Read the small print'.
( It is remiss of Thomson not to issue moustaches for male staff to wear at this point, so that they may twirl them.)

Thomson Torture!...continued

Game: To make the Thomson rep, James, show some sympathy after your room experience and being bumped off your nice 'chosen - by - you- booked - seats at the front.

Warning: This may take up your entire holiday. Not to be played by non-masochists as implacable James will imply its all your fault for being so inept for booking with Thomson, and then foolishly expecting any help from him. He may grudgingly state that he will look into the matter.

Players may arrive at the airport ...to find that he did no such thing. Heated argument ensues, as queue waiting to go home snakes round the hall.. This game cannot be won by players ...as the mighty Thomson wins hand down on this one, as the company seemingly doesn't give a hoot.

Players might counter with :
'We are off to EasyJet next year, as at least we can really book our seats...and so avoid paying £90 to view the open door of the toilet view for over half the journey....In fact, we'd probably even travel Ryan Air'.

20 Thank JaneFrost
Thank you for your review. Our aim at the Elounda Bay Palace is to create a relaxing holiday atmosphere where all our national and international guests can enjoy our unique Mediterranean paradise. We have noted your comments and hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you again to the Elounda Bay Palace for a future stay.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

A great choice for all ages of family, or for couples just wanting to relax on the lovely beaches or by the pool. A lovely resort in a beautiful location hence the price. I took my daughter there for a week a la carte and we loved it, as we needed to wind down and relax from our hectic jobs. We loved the food in the restaurant, with so much choice of good quality food. We lingered over dinner enjoying the amazing view over the bay and the sail bar and enjoyed our wine and the wonderful service. The staff went out of their way to make you comfortable, pulling out your chairs for you and every thing was always perfectly set on the table.
The water sports there are very good and we hired a yacht the 'Jacquelina' with a couple we met there for half a day. The water sports staff are extremely safety conscious and experienced in what they do.
The hotel is very expensive, but I booked it because I had stayed there previously as a private tutor in the presidential villa some years ago, when I promised myself I would return for a proper holiday one day, so I wasn't at all disappointed at all. We had a standard twin room with a mountain view and a balcony (as the presidential villa was a bit out of my price range) and it was fine. Nice view of the mountains, quiet and very clean.
I would definitely go there again because of the perfect location and only a 3.5 hour flight away!

Room Tip: twins, double or family adjoining rooms with mountain view are great for peace and privacy. it'...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jazzalee77
ManagementCrete, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
It is a pleasure to read that you have so enjoyed your return to the Elounda Bay Palace. It is our aim to provide the ambience that fits the unique perfect holiday setting, right on the waters edge with our crystal clear waters and golden sandy beaches set in to the back drop of the wild Cretan mountains. The numbers of guests that are returning every year to our hotel is reward for our efforts and we consider our loyal guests like old friend. We sincerely hope that we shall have the opportunity to welcome you the Elounda Bay Palace for a future stay.

Kind Regards