“Fantastic Hotel”

Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Hotel”
Reviewed June 3, 2011

We stayed in the new seaview rooms in the hotel, and they were lovely. All the restaurants for lunch served great food with really friendly service.
The spa was also an amazing treat although more expensive than most in the UK. We booked half board and did'nt realise that meant only dinner, instead of lunch, as we prefer to eat out of the hotel in the evening, However when we did eat in the restaurant in the evening the food was very nice and we did again have good service.
I would go back for a relaxing couples break or with young children. The hotel, beach, staff and setting was fantastic and we would love to go back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fi7676
MRassoulis, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
Thank you for your review about the holiday experience that you had with us at the Elounda Bay Palace Hotel.
The anniversary 35th year of the hotel has given us an ideal opportunity to offer our guests a credit of 100€ for use in our spa which is part of the Herni Chenot philosophy of spas.
Our relaxing ambience and hospitable staff, whose aim is to make all our guests feel special, all set in our mature Mediterranean gardens right on the waters edge with our private beaches go to make the ideal holiday setting.
We are looking forward to welcoming you for a future stay at the hotel and hope that your memories of our Cretan paradise bring you back soon.

Manolis Rassoulis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2010

My friend and I took a room each for a week's break in September. I had stayed here several times many years ago when it was Astir Palace so it was a trip down memory lane. Some areas have hardly altered and their charm maintained but I was delighted by the changes that had taken place. My biggest surprise was how quiet the hotel had become. It was always exclusive but seemed to have a very low occupancy on our visit. We both wanted a rest so it wasn't a great issue. It had the atmosphere of an exclusive club. The staff said the hotel had been quiet all season because of the recession. I cannot praise the staff enough. I constantly travel with work and have stayed at numerous four and five star hotels all over the world but I have never encountered such consistently friendly staff. I kept expecting someone to be indifferent but the staff are exceptional. It's incredible. The restaurants and food quality are superb. The buffet in the main restuarant was somewhat limited because of the hotel's low occupancy but what was on offer was outstanding. The dolcelatte sauce with the roast pork at the carvery was sublime. My only criticism was breakfast. Coffee was average, poor omelettes and horror of horrors - no smoked salmon!!! I disagree with the reviews that say that drinks prices are absurdly high. I felt they were about right for a five star hotel and there were some very good value wines on the menu which were similarly priced to the tavernas. A wide variety of watersports are available. Waterskiing is reasonably priced but jetskiing is absurdly high. All in all a fantastic experience and will definitely be returning. I hope business picks up for the hotel as it deserves to be busier.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
MRassoulis, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this review, January 31, 2011
Thank you for writing about your visit on Trip Advisor and your kind praise for the staff of the hotel. Many of our staff have been with the hotel since it opened 35 years ago and are proud to be celebration this special anniversary with us this year. We have many new benefits for all our guests this year and we are bringing in new policies. We have been carefully listening to the suggestions of our guests and are now putting in to action many things that they would like to see changed, for example complimentary gym and tennis facilities, complimentary water, to name a few. With this anniversary year it is an excellent time to make changes and new policy, which we are sure will delight all our guests. We have just launched our new website and it is now possible to view all of our dining venues and their menus, complete with the prices, winelists and bar menus.
The ambience of the hotel as it nestles in its exotic gardens is one of relaxation and holiday. From the Cretan hospitality at the Traditional taverna restaurant to the Sail In jetty bar to the wide variety of choices of entertainment and dinning venues with in the resort all go to make the holiday experience at the Elounda Bay Palace Hotel an unforgettable one.
We look forward to welcoming you back for another visit to this holiday paradise.

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed October 13, 2010

This hotel is just outstanding. I've been staying there for 7 times and only once we were a bit irritated about a big group of Coca Cola Greece. All the other times we were completely satisfied. I've been visiting a lot of other 5 star hotels recently all around the world. And this hotel is incomparable because of the very friendly and helpful staff as of the absolutely beautiful location. Of course the all extra services are quite expensive but no more than in other luxury hotels.

It's not an action hotel but if you're looking for a quite recreative holiday you'll be right there. The half-board restaurant is not exceptional but for the price alright if you go to one of the other hotel restaurants it's at least about 200 euros per dinner but definitely delicious.

In the main building not all rooms are perfect. The first time we had the two rooms next to the elevator and heard it all night. Since the rooms have been refurbished they're all very nice. The whole family very enjoyed our stay and the amazing beaches we reccomend the hotel all our friends.

While we were staying the third time we got even a free upgrade to a villa with private pool and that was just incredible. I think it's the structure of the hotel like a small village with differents restaurants and private villas which makes it a very unique resort.
There was no issue I had to worry about and even if there had been one a call would have settled it.

As soon as I find the time again I'll visit this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Blickpositiv
MRassoulis, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this review, October 18, 2010
As one of our loyal guests we greatly appreciate your having taken the time to write a review on The Elounda Bay Palace Hotel. As you have stayed at the hotel so many times over the years you have been able to watch the changes that have been made to ensure that the resort stays in the ways that our loyal guests enjoy and how we have adapted to meet new standards that our guests expect of us.
We take very seriously the opinions of our guests, as through this we have built our repeater guest rate to the extent it is and we hope that our guests will continue to give us the feedback to aid us in this on going process. It is the little things and the fine tuning that makes all the difference. Our staff who have been with the hotel for years become like old family friends to our guests and look forward to welcoming them year after year.
We look forward to welcoming you next summer with the family.

Airdrie
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Yes this is a lovely hotel in a lovely location and the staff are very friendly and will do as much as they can to help however there were too many niggles and issues I found with this hotel which should just not happen in a 5 star hotel.

We paid for 3 deluxe sea view rooms for myself,my fiance and 11 month old son and our parents back in March 2010. As my mother uses a wheelchair and has limited mobility we checked with a large number of 5 star hotels in the area and the Bay Palace was practically the only one to say they could accomodate us. What we got (see pictures) was 3 huge rooms on the ground floor (101, 103 & 105) but with views of the beautiful olive trees (you could hear the sea!) I appreciate that the room adapted for disabled customers was on the ground floor but please do not charge us sea view rates when we clearly got garden views. After complaining, we were upgraded free of charge to a beautiful (although small) suite on the 4th floor. My fiance's parents were offered the standard of room we had paid for originally but declined it as it was very small. My parents had to stay where they were due to the facilities. The difference in room size and quality was vast and I was surprised to see the state of a couple of rooms we were offered first of all before we were upgraded. Even the finish to our suite was very poor (sockets coming off the wall, wardrobe jamming, silicone seal splashed all around the bath) and not what I would expect in a 5 star hotel.

I was also very disappointed that despite booking when the half board lunch or dinner option was advertised, when we arrived we were told that this had been withdrawn. Our travel agent tried to sort this before we arrived (thanks to another review I read warning about this) but we got no reply and only when I complained once there that it was false advertising did I get one days voucher.

The cleaning of the rooms were sporadic. When our maid went to Athens we had to phone to get our room cleaned at night. When you have dirty nappies in your room from 3pm, its an essential service and you should not have to chase it at 9.30pm. Towels were not replaced every day (again phone calls resolved this) and our balcony was never mopped down (the reason I know is that we had rain on our 3rd day there and the stain came off the wood - the stains of the furniture were still on the floor and the splashes still on the glass)

The hotel was not full but there was an obvious lack of staff every where (we spoke to another couple who had been here 2 years ago and said it was very noticable, especially around the gardens and at the pool, the restaurant staff were there morning and night - a very long shift). On average you had to wait 20 - 30 mins for a drink at the pool (not the lovely Irini's fault, she was the only one on) - you would not want to be dying of thirst. And yes, the cost of drinks were silly. Yes I expect to pay premium prices at a 5 star hotel but this was more expensive than New York, Vienna and Tenerife (and they were 5 star too) This was obviously felt by most of the people staying as you constantly saw everyone with supermarket bags full of bottles and cans and balconies with people sitting enjoying cheaper drinks - and the bars were empty. We were the only couple at the Sail in bar and the bar by the restaurant so it speaks volumes. Perhaps the management don't want their bars full as they may have to staff them?

On the plus side, room service was one of the best I have ever experienced - I thought very reasonable for the amount of food we got. The main restaurant had fabulous variety (salads the freshest I have tastest) although the hot food was generally only luke warm - unless you got the fresh pasta made for you from the pan. The views from the 4th floor were spectacular (sunrises a must thanks to our son's early morning rise)

I feel the hotel is trying to cut costs but still expects to charge (who ever heard of paying to use the gym in a 5 star hotel) top rate. My comments to the management resulted in a bulk standard letter offering a free nights stay .... when I return next year. I think they may have missed the point............

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank AirdrieToots
MRassoulis, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this review, October 8, 2010
Having read your review and already knowing the story behind your booking and subsequent stay at The Elounda Bay Palace Hotel, a holiday hotel and resort, I feel that it was perhaps you who has missed the point.
Our staff went out of their way to accommodate you and your extended family in an area of the hotel where you could be together and in comfort as per your requests. The rooms you were allocated are Deluxe seaview rooms 60 of 60 square meters and some of the most sort after rooms in our hotel with direct access to the beach. Style and décor of our rooms are a purely a matter of individual taste.
I hope that some of our loyal guests who will read your comments will reply in kind.
As we are a hotel who trys to accommodate the every wish of our guests and as you point out, we were the only one in Elounda area who was willing to fulfill your requests, we would be pleased to welcome you next year for another family holiday, especially as you now know the types of accommodation available to you so enabling you to make a choice of room category to suit your needs.

St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2010

having just returned from our second trip this year to elounda bay , we felt we would like to update our review, we are regular visitors to this hotel the reason for this is as follows the wonderful location, the staff, the restaurants, the private beaches and choice of rooms, the approach to elounda over the mountains going down either day or night is breathtaking mirabello bay below the islands and elounda village and the non high rise hotels nestling below . the hotel gives you personal welcome , all the staff with no exceptions are so very helpfull nothing is too much trouble ,mu husband has some medical problems and the staff are always so patient and helpful. the honoured guest programme work well for us , the beaches are clean and kept tidy , the restaurants
are very good andwill cater for all needs the wine is excellent ,our favourite restaurant is the the thalassa
right on the waters edge and if you can persuade the matra de mr george to sing it the
as well it the perfect evening , the rooms are always clean well attended there is a great choice at the hotel , suite ,bungerlows and if its a special occasion the you can always have your own pool , you can use the facilities at the sister hotel elounda beach , , your always going to hear the few complaint the drinks are too high they will always cost more in a 5 star+hotel any where in the world , the rooms not right for our needs if you just ask if the hotel is not full they will always try to find you a suitable room , if you want to eat in the elounda village you will find lots of very good restaurants and tavernes , or go to plaka for the fish , the spinalonga trip is also a must , so to sum up a wonderful place , for all ages .

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mrspandmrt
It appears that you have become one of our loyal guests who have been captured by the magic of this unique location and setting. Thank you for describing your holiday experience, which for us, as you have stayed at the hotel before, is invaluable as feedback. With an ever increasing number of repeater guests our hotel is dedicated to providing the standards and quality of holiday that keeps you all returning year after year. For the owners, management and staff of The Elounda Bay Palace this is the best reward we could wish for and that despite some disparaging remarks made by some reviewers on Trip Advisor you are proof that we are getting it right. We listen to the opinions and comments made by all of our guests and during the winter time we then adjust the policies of the hotel accordingly.
I hope that we will be welcoming you to The Elounda Bay Palace Hotel for many years to come.

Kind Regards,

Ketton, England
Reviewed September 25, 2010

From arrival to departure, we were more than happy at the Elounda Bay Palace. Our taxi from the airport was met by a hotel buggy and we were whisked to reception. A quick check-in and a friendly brief on the hotel's services and facilities, then we were taken to our mountain view room quickly followed by our bags. The room was comfortable rather than luxurious but lacked for nothing essential. Being late arrivals (22.30) a cold supper had been laid out in the room and the manager had left a bottle of very drinkable local, red wine. The air conditioning was quiet and efficient. The bed was large and very comfortable, although I would have preferred a firmer pillow (might have got one, didn't ask). The bathroom was on the small size with a shower over the bath, but it was perfectly adequate. Nevertheless, in a hotel of this evident quality, I would have expected a separate walk-in shower. The room has a small balcony with a table and chairs; ideal for a sundowner.

We had booked half-board and took all of our meals in the Aretoussa Restaurant ( €25 credit would have been given, had we chosen to eat in any of the other restaurants). All of the meals were excellent. The only minor downside was the nightly entertainment which comprised a poor singer at a keyboard - not intrusive but not talented either. As with every other area of the hotel, the staff were excellent - friendly, attentive and helpful.

The hotel is set in attractive grounds right on the edge of the sea. There are two smallish beaches and reasonable space to sunbathe - beware the dawn raiders who leave towels on sunbeds and appear late in the morning, having bagged the best spots (Brits as well as Russians & Germans).

My only negative comments on this otherwise relaxing and top quality resort relate to bar prices. I spend most of my working week in good quality hotels, mainly in London and Dublin, so I am familar with paying top dollar for beverages. However, I thought that the Elounda Bay Palace took it to a new level. In the mini-bar, a Coke was €4.10, gin was €7.00 and tonic was €4.10, as examples. In the fantastically sited Sail In Bar, all cocktails were €12.00, including a G&T. This bar is on the water's edge and should be a natural venue for a pre-dinner drink. During our week there, the bar was hardly used by any of the guests. We drank there on the first night and reckoned €24.00 was a little steep for a couple of G&Ts. However, it was such an attractive place, we did have a farewell cocktail there on the last night. We heard other guests commenting on the high prices in the bar and also for the watersports. A short walk into Elounda and it is possible to find a bar overlooking the sea with drinks at half the price of the EBP and with free wi-fi for those who need it (there were two free PCs at the EBP but wi-fi came at a price).

For anyone staying at the hotel who wants to make the trip to Spinalonga of "The Island" fame, we caught the boat from Elounda. We walked into the town, had a lovely lunch overlooking the port and caught one of the ferries that run every 30 mins - €10 return.

Overall, we would definitely go back to this high quality hotel that is blessed by excellent staff.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PierrelePilote
MRassoulis, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this review, September 28, 2010
After such a wonderful review of The Elounda Bay Palace Hotel it gives us great satisfaction to know that we are exceeding the expectations of our guests.
Our unique location and property offer the relaxation and rejuvenation that our guests are looking for in a holiday. This, added to the wealth of history and places of natural beauty in the surrounding area gives those who want to explore and learn more about the Cretan legends and way of life, an ideal opportunity to combine their days with beach, sun and sight seeing.
All the comment and suggestions that our guests make are taken in to consideration when we review the hotels policies during the winter season when the hotel is closed.
Therefore we will be researching the pricing policy so our guest can feel that they are getting the top value for their holiday in our resort.
Our staff go out of their way to make all our guests feel at home with us and remember from year to year the little details that go to make your holidays that extra special.
We look forward to seeing you next summer at The Elounda Bay Palace Hotel.

Kind regards

Belgium
Reviewed September 21, 2010

The staff is what makes this hotel really 'a leading hotel of the world'. They are very friendly, attentive and helpful. As an example; one evening we were waiting to meet a representative of our travel company we booked the trip with and after 30 min. he still wasn't there. The lady from the front desk came to inform why we were waiting. When I explained she asked if I had a telephone number and immediately got on the phone to make inquiries where the Rep. was since "her "guests were waiting too long already and that shouldn't be. She offered as well a bottle of water for the remaining time we had to wait. 15min later the Rep. was there.
At breakfast or diner the maître d' always comes round to inquire if all is OK or to simply say hello - small gesture but oh so easily forgotten.
The hotel and the grounds it selves are nice, clean, well maintained but - and I speak for the building I was sleeping in - could do in the near future with some renovation or TLC. Don't get me wrong everything is spotless but you start to see some ware and tare which is unavoidable but should not be left unattended too long anymore. I.e. the airco in our room broke down twice - a technician was sent and got it fixed but it broke down the same day in the evening again but it got fixed again the day after. And that is the service I was speaking off - the guests should not have any discomfort. Things break down that happens and it is no ones fault but if they don't properly fix this there will be a time it will not be fixable in a day anymore
I do have something one can see as a negative - I just see it as a warning for others. If you are half board, water is not included in the meal. Just to give you an idea:
- 1ltr mineral water 3.5E
- 25cl sparkling water 5E.
- Minibar Sprite 4.1Euro.
- Tea or coffee after diner - 5E per person.
Also if you are on half board and you want to go and eat in any of the other restaurants (and I have seen the manager normally replies to Tripadvisor ratings and points out often there are like 7 restaurants between Elounda Bay and Elounda Beach) you can deduct 25E from that bill but you will pay more than that - just so you have the complete picture
I can pay all this and I am not a cheap person but lets be honest here it is not the cheapest hotel to stay in even without the extra costs so one would expect prices would have been a bit more modest.
It is no where mentioned that you have to pay for water during diner, you have to specifically go and ask at the front desk what is and what isn't included. Why do I mention this? When we arrived there was next to us a couple checking out and they had questions about their bill - this case specifically the Gym. This is not for free and they were complaining that this is outrages for a 5star hotel etc etc... The response they got was .." It was written in the envelope with info about the hotel that you receive when you checked in." No further comment, no further note, nothing. Because me witnessing this incident first hand I did read the envelope we got front to back but nowhere was something mentioned about the water. Oh and by the way in a small corner on the right hand side of a paper was written that a day in the gym costs 10E but also that is not really clear. You can interpret it differently as well. When these people entered the gym they probably where also not told about the price otherwise they would not have been so surprised when they received their bill? It is a fact that in the majority of the 5* hotels I have been (and I travel a lot professionally and privately) gyms are for free when you are a guest in the hotel. Of course every hotel has its own rules and one should carefully read the information or when in doubt ask to avoid misunderstandings and subsequently high bills.
All in all - nice hotel with great staff - message to the management : pamper the staff so you can keep them since they really make the difference - but be aware for the extra costs on your end bill (also for something as simple as water and coffee)
PS just a tip regarding Crete - try to rent a car it is really worth the money and you can experience so much more than just Elounda!

• Stayed September 2010
MRassoulis, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this review, September 24, 2010
Thank you for your wonderful comments about our hotel and its loyal staff.
All of our personnel work together as one happy family to ensure the well being of our guests.
I would like to point out that when booking a hotel on half board basis means that your evening meal is included in the package but it is stated, excluding beverages. However one would not be charged for a carafe of still, chilled water, which would be provided if requested.
We are not a club hotel or an all inclusive hotel and therefore all extras will have a charge.
The courtesy credit that you are entitled to when dining in one of our a la carte restaurants, is the portion of the half board cost of the dinner per person usually taken at the half board buffet.
The resort provides an enormous choice of venues and facilities for our guests to enjoy, from dining and bars, to sporting and entertainment but these are not included in half board packages and do have an extra charge, as it is the choice of our guests whether to use these facilities or not.
I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you to The Elounda Bay Palace Hotel in the future and our Guest Relations department will always be on hand to help with any queries that you may have.

Kind Regards,