While my husband and I had a pleasant stay at Elounda Mare, and we loved the spa at their neighboring property, if you are a frequent American traveler like we are, I frankly would stay somewhere else. The decor at the hotel is overwhelmingly Greek "country" -- classical Cretan fabrics, wooden beams (i.e, very U.S. 1970's or National Park-ish decor). If you are looking for sleek and modern, this is not the hotel for you. I was not happy that we had specifically reserved a suite--so that we could have 2 rooms, in case one of us wanted to sleep while the other did work--yet the hotel "upgraded" us to a pool room, with our own plunge pool, which was only one room. Moreover, it overlooked the air conditioning unit of another unit, blocking our view. Also, be aware that unlike American hotels (or even most international chains we found in Greece) you have to pay for the internet by the minute, which is a real pain. Two other issues--the mattress was rock hard. We seriously considered getting up in the middle of our first night and going somewhere else. Upon our request, management did bring a "coconut" mattress that was a bit softer and some better pillows. But again, this is just not what we would expect from a Relais et Chateau property. We also were surprised to find mold in the bathroom--the grout was really icky. I think that was because there were only two little windows that you could prop open, no fan or A/C. The ventilation really needs to be improved. Although the staff was very nice, views were beautiful, spa was great, and loved the breakfast, I do not think this hotel is as "luxurious" as it is advertised.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Famed for its gracious and attentive service, this hotel is the embodiment of all-time-classic style and cultured luxury, where antique art and traditional architectural themes adorn all of its private-pool bungalows - each with its own terrace overlooking the Aegean Sea. Three fine dining venues reflect the Relais & Chateaux tradition of excellence, their culinary delights ranging from enticing lunchtime snacks to five-course dinners, with flambe and fish specialties. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA and Jetsetter so you can book your Elounda Mare Relais & Chateaux hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Elounda Mare Hotel And Bungalows
- Elounda Mare Relais & Chateaux Hotel Crete