“First class Dive Centre in Elounda”

Diving Centre Blue Dolphin
Reviewed October 23, 2017

Diving between 26 Sept and 8 October 2017

I really can't praise the Blue Dolphin Dive Centre highly enough.
Lucky runs a a thoroughly professional outfit with safety being of paramount importance assisted by Dajana and Pierre. Fees are very reasonable with options to book a block of dives at a discount. I opted for the five dive package, which was perfect for me. Diving with Dajana, Pierre and Lucky was an absolute pleasure. They made me feel at home with a relaxed friendly welcome the minute I arrived.

They have numerous dive sites easily reachable by their own boat that will cater for all needs including three wrecks and and old rotary engine from a plane. This said the shore dive from the small lagoon a mere 25m from the dive centre and equipment store has plenty to see. Everything from Shoals of Damsel fish and brightly coloured Wrasse to Moray eels, Grouper, Octopus, Squid, Amber Jacks and much more and that was just on my orientation dive prior to my night dive.

I totally recommend the night dive. Lucky and Pierre gave us a very thorough briefing. We knew we were in safe hands. It was an amazing experience. Settling down on the plateau turning lights off and watching the plankton fluoresce was an experience I shall never forget, although seeing Pierre get inked by a squid when he got a little too close will take some beating.

Aside from the diving they organise a divers dinner get together on Friday nights at a local Taverna just along from the bay in Elounda.
A typical warm friendly Greek welcome from the owners with an array of lovely traditional Greek food and local wine and raki that just keeps coming. It's a great night out. I would throughly recommend keeping a Friday night free and going along, you won't regret it.

Thank to all of you for making my diving with you such a great experience. I will definitely be returning to dive with you all again.

See you all again soon.

Michael

2  Thank Michael F
Zantediver, Inhaber at Diving Centre Blue Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2017

Hello Michael,
thank`s for your kind words. You where really a nice company and diving with you was a pleasure too. Looking forward to have you again as a buddy along our dives. Have a nice winter and take care.
Best regards, from the whole Blue Dolphin team

"equipment"
in 17 reviews
"safety"

Reviewed August 31, 2017

Going scuba diving was something I had wanted to do for years, but I'd never found the right time......until I met the team at Blue Dolphin while I was on holiday at the Aquila Elounda Village in Crete.

They put on 'try-dives' for free on the beach so that you can find out if it is something you want to pursue further. My instructor, Blue, was so friendly and patient and I instantly felt at ease, despite doing an activity which is potentially risky if done badly.

From that dive, which was only a five minute paddle around the shallows, I knew I wanted to do more, so I booked onto one of their dives the next day. Again, Blue was my instructor, which was great and, following some tutoring and paperwork, she kitted me out like a proper diver and took me from the beach out to the deeper water just outside of the breakwater. I saw loads of wildlife, including Fireworms, Moray Eels and various fish...too many to name! The time flew by and we were soon heading back to dry land.

The whole experience was exhilarating and I loved seeing the underwater world. It was so colourful and so amazingly different to what we see on land.

I'd have loved to have done one of their courses to become a qualified diver, but sadly, having discussed it with Lucky, the business owner and instructors, Diana and Blue, I didn't have time to be able to fit it all in to the remainder of my stay in Crete.

But they did say they could take me out for a longer dive across the bay out in some different water. So the next day, kitted up, I clambered aboard their boat along with a number of other divers and set out across the bay. It was then I realised that I'd be like a proper diver and have to fall backwards off the boat into the water.....and after a bit of instruction, that's what I did! I felt like a pro!

Blue took me for a 50 minute dive around the area where I saw huge schools of fish, many eels, sea cucumers, starfish...the list goes on. It was so relaxing to just be there swimming amongst all of the wildlife. I will never forget seeing the thousands of fish swimming in shoals around me.

Apart from the diving, the thing that struck me was how warm and friendly all the team members at Blue Dolphin were and also the other people who had booked onto the dives. There was a real togetherness and everyone was willing to help each other out with there kit etc. It's a shame that I couldn't stay longer and do more dives, but I guess that's a good reason to return one day.

I'd like to thank Lucky, Diana and Christian for all their encouragement and help along the way. But I want to give a special mention to Blue, who was buddied up with me on each dive and whose natural teaching manner made it so easy to pick up the basic diving techniques.

Overall, I would thoroughly recommend the Blue Dolphin dive school and I look forward to returning as soon as I can!

3  Thank Richard B
Reviewed July 29, 2017

I chose this hotel for an extra holiday and some gentle diving....as the dive shop is integra to the hotel compex.
Warmly greeted by the staff and owner : Lucky, Diana, Pierre, Sebastien, Anke.
Easy diving in the med here. Perfect viz and no current.
Good sea life on many of the sites .
We also took a night dive off the port/pier area and saw an amazing Alicia Mirabilis.

Great experience.

On one dive we help unsnag a small turtle from a plastic sack. He had become entangled over time and we were his saviours. Bouns to a good week of diving.

I would recommend this dive shop to all beginners and improvers and even to any passing hardened divers or old sea dogs, as the dives are interesting and the team are a fun bunch,

Great experience.

2  Thank Gary S
Reviewed August 22, 2016 via mobile

We booked an introduction to diving for my 15 year old son and a lady from Blue Dolphin school came and collected him from our apartments in Elounda and brought him back afterwards. He had an amazing time and said he received excellent training and it was well organised and safe with good quality equipment. They spent a lot of time in the sea and saw lots of different fish. The cost was £75 euros. I definitely recommend this to others.

1  Thank 6245gillian
See more reviews
Reviewed August 14, 2016

Where to begin?
We contacted a gentleman named Lucky before we travelled to Elounda to arrange starting a course (the three day introduction to Scuba).
After numerous emails we decided to upgrade to the full open water diver package before we travelled. The patience, attitude and general niceness of the gentleman as we tried to arrange the trip was more than enough to reassure us that our money was being well spent.
To top this off the courses being offered where significantly cheaper with themselves then anywhere else we had looked. This was simply an added bonus. I believe we would have chosen to use the blue dolphin dive centre after the first few emails and phone calls. I genuinely bombarded Lucky with questions, emails and phone calls and he never grew tired or seemed frustrated with me. He always replied quickly and was prompt to help us with anything we needed help with.
Once we arrived we were greeted by the entire team which at the time was Lucky himself, Dajana, Pablo and Anneke.
I cannot express enough how lovely these people are. They are not only kind but very caring, ensuring that you are constantly happy with the way things are progressing and how your experience is going. They went out of there was to ensure we were happy and comfortable.
We were staying roughly 3km away from the establishment and they drove us to and from our hotel every day without payment which was unexpected and genuinely lovely of them.
They also have a lovely ritual of a weekly divers dinner where all the current students and divers attend a local taverna to eat wonderful food, chat and make some life long friends.
The course itself was extensive and we felt fully cared for during the time. Our main instructor was Dajana and I cannot express how natural a teacher this women is. She is quite simply amazing! The knowledge she shared and the way she taught was fantastic. A truly wonderful women who you would be lucky to meet.
Lucky himself taught us some of our initial classes and his confidence and knowledge is also brilliant. A truly happy and enthusiastic gentleman who never rushed us, kept us calm and enabled a wonderful learning experience.
Anneke who wasn't officially there to teach us, taught us many things that can only be gained from experience. The simplest things that wouldn't occur to you naturally that made the whole experience that much better. A wonderful women who helped us repeatedly and became a friend along the way.
Finally, Pablo who taught us some of our first on sight theory (we had been provided with online learning materials months in advance of our attendance so that we could have a head start on our studying). A wonderfully happy and funny man who always had a smile on his face and a kind word to say.
We enjoyed our first course so much that we were offered a further course of advanced adventurer that we also completed with themselves.
I could honestly write forever about how wonderful the experience was; from the clear warm waters, the marine life, the wreck that we visited, the night dive, the diving skills taught (which were vast and extensive) but the people certainly made it!
After our final dive and our last goodbyes I actually cried. I'm not the most emotional person normally but I honestly feel like we have made some life long friends that I miss dearly already and we've not been home a week!
We shall most definitely be back as soon as possible. We're thinking Stress and Rescue, Deep Diving and Wreck Diver :-) just a heads up to the team :-)

Also, they have a massive variety of equipment and courses available for all levels. Plus a lovely teaching room, a large place to store equipment and they never let you go thirsty. An incredibly attentive team!

1  Thank Dawn H