“Greek Night”

Mam's House Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 122 Restaurants in Elounda
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We were recommended the Greek Night at Mam's, located on the main road by the Olous causeway junction by other holiday makers as a treat night out.

The establishment is typically Greek with a very old interior that, however, adds to it's charm. Nevertheless it is on a main road and the traffic turning on the junction makes for entertaining, if not at times somewhat alarming viewing!

The taverna is run by Nicos, who is a most convivial host, highly animated, and works very hard in running the place. The Wednesday evening is the Greek night [ best book] and he comes into his own, singing with the very good musicians, adding to the ambiance.

We had the 'specials' Mousaka and stifado both of which were very good and wholesome. The fava was the best we have had for a long time and a good night was had.

The toilets are clean and the prices are reasonable.

We always if possible like to visit twice before giving an opinion and unfortunately on our second Greek night visit we experienced a few problems.To be fair to Nicos I wondered if he was short staffed, as the main meal, a special of peppered chicken and a kleftico took one and a half hours to be delivered from ordering. Unfortunately they were not to the previous visit's standard.Our experience seemed to be not unique, hence me wondering about staffing problems. We were really hungry,but did not have the bread as we go to resturants to enjoy the food, so this was a real problem. We were going to leave but the dishes arrived in the nick of time.

Nevertheless, we were charged for bread that we did not have, having twice stated, in Greek, that we did not want it.

Nicos did refund the difference and offered Raki, but my wife has already left by this time!

We will probably visit again, but not on the Wednesday.

Overall, good value for money, animated host, lots of food but a disappointing second night and hence the score.

1  Thank Christopher D

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We came upon this place by accident. It is on the Main Street in Elounda and does not have much of a view. That is the only drawback to this vibrant family run restaurant. We found it on a Wednesday (live music night), We arrived early, which was lucky, as it got very full very quickly. The food was great, everything was reasonably priced and the entertainment was excellent. This entertainment was supplemented by singing and dancing , Greek style, by Nikos who runs the restaurant with his other half Mareijke. We returned a number of times and the quality did not diminish. Get there early to be sure of a table and on a Wednesday you will need to book. You will not be sorry that you tried it.

1  Thank Graham L
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My Daughter and I went to Mam's Wednesday just gone and had a very good night. Our welcome was fabulous. The food was all lovely, we had Tzatziki to start which we shared and was plenty big enough for two of us. I had the fillet steak special which was a huge portion and very lean and so tender - it was delicious. My daughter had a Spaghetti dish - it was big for her to finish but she thoroughly enjoyed it. Nikko's entertainment is so funny and very natural, he just seems high on life and passes his happiness around throughout the night!! Singing and dancing and fire tricks with lots of shouting "hoopla" !! When the bill arrived I was very surprised how reasonable it was. My most memorable evening in Elounda - thank you x

1  Thank DD17DD
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We have been visiting crete for twelve years each time we visit mams, great value, fantastic food,
and I would recommend the music nights on Wednesday's, but I recommend that you book.

1  Thank Diana1965
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Gone past Mam's many times on foot & a Quad, Nikos always shouted & spoke "alright mate" despite us never having been in....finally gave it a go, best Souvlaki I had, and the portion size was immense...definite stop next year

1  Thank vinylrising