“Holiday dinner”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Holiday dinner”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

we eat here twice during our holiday in september, the food was brilliant, the service was very attentive and without asking we were given free drinks and free deserts.

i had the pasta with Prawns which was divine. we went back at the end of the week for one final meal and we were treated like kings. Beautiful food, cooked very well and served by very polite attentive waiters, we then had free drinks again and 4 different free desserts for each person.

you must visit this resturant, it is great

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Decent food, odd service”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I ended up eating at Vritomartes after returning from Spinalonga on a boat trip - this being the first restaurant I saw. I was greeted by a gentleman outside, and allowed to pick any table, but wasn't given a menu straight away, which left me at something of a loss for what to do (I was travelling alone). I was approached by a man shortly after, wearing a sweat stained t-shirt, who asked if I would like a menu - but before I could order a drink, he dumped the menu and disappeared. Service was incredibly slow, it took them around 15 minutes to return for my drinks order and it took intervention from the gentleman escorting people in to get the waiters to take my food order.

I ordered the Kalamari to start, and swordfish for the main. I must say, the food was actually really good - which was pleasantly surprising given the shoddy service. Considering how slowly things moved in this place, I was slightly surprised that my main course was dumped on my table before I'd finished my starter - which wasn't appreciated. Overall though, the kalmari and swordfish were both well cooked, and the portions fairly generous. Someone did approach me and ask how the food was, which was surprising considering the waiters seemed to spend most of their time skulking inside or loudly talking on their phones.

Overall, the food was decent but the horrendous service really let this place down and means I can only rate it as an average experience - for food quality and location alone. They really need to get the waiters into some smarter shirts, as how are you supposed to know the guy in the sweaty yellow football shirt is your waiter? They also need to speed up the experience at the right times (ordering, bringing the bill) and slow it down at others (letting people finish starters before bringing mains). The final bill came to €31 - far more than I paid elsewhere as a solo traveller, so I can't say this place offers value for money either.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Poor service and food- avoid”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We were saving this restaurant to the end of our holiday as in the centre of Elounda it looks fabulous. We were very disappointed- our only bad meal in two weeks. No one to greet us, the red wine was horrendous ( I left half a carafe and I can tell you thats a first!!!). I ordered Houmas & Pitta for starter, after a long while the Houmas arrived with no pitta (They must of expected me to spoon it in my mouth!!) and after about 3 mins our mains arrived- so no time to even mention the lack of Pitta- let alone even eat it. My main (Beef & Onions) was fine but my husbands chicken was dry and he left it. In the end we were so thoroughly annoyed we asked for the bill and had a grunt!- no one asked if the meal was okay or acknowledged that we had left most of it. The waiters barely spoke and was very unusual as everywhere else in Elounda we were given a warm friendly welcome. Do not go- plenty of lovely restaurants around do not waste your euros!

1 Thank El300162
St Helens, United Kingdom
“Twice for evening meal”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We ate here twice in one week for evening meal and were not disappointed on either occasion.
I am surprised to see less than glowing reviews on this site as we found it fantastic.
The location is lovely, the restaurant is spotless, the food was fabulous and the service really good.
We left here absolutely stuffed as there was so much to eat on the plate and then the free dessert. The first time we went we also got free drinks but we left before they got chance to give us these on the second visit! No room for anything else at all.
We were so full we had to sit in the square a while and walk about for a bit before we could go to our usual bar for drinks!
We've been to this restaurant during previous holidays and have always been impressed and we'll be back there for sure next year.

Basingstoke
“Not a good start to the holiday”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This restaurant looks the part and the location is great however... The food was worse than terrible i ordered lamb chops , more chop than lamb, talk about an anorexic lamb!! My partner ordered mixed grill and the sizes of the choice of meat was a joke as the price of these dishes did not reflect what was served. Trying to ask for condiments sauces etc seemed to be a real effort for the waiters in fact they really had no interest in serving or making your experience happy.
Gordon Ramsey would of had a field day if this was one of those restaurants from hell... Positive note the watermelon at the end was lovely but even they couldn't screw that up.. Save your money this place is not worth it. Go to (all in one bar ) or (porta rino Italian/greek )both excellent.

2 Thank Zena C