“Met expectations” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 37 Hotels in Elounda
Preston
“Met expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

Recently stayed here for a two week holiday.

Having read the reviews for these apartments my review is probably going to be somewhat controversial! I hovered on giving an overall rating of either average or very good for some time. I would have given a rating of good if this had been available but unfortunately it was not. Having considered this very carefully I decided average was the correct rating.

The apartments met our expectations, rooms were spacious, clean and basically equipped with fridge, air conditioning which is expensive at 50euros a week, two hot plates ( one large and one small), basic crockery and cutlery. With only one saucepan it would be difficult to cook a meal if you were on a budget and wanted to save money by staying in. Towels and linen changed every couple of days. Bathroom was clean but with a bit of a temperamental shower from time to time.

The pool area was quite nice although the pool was small compared to others. However there is a garden area where you can sit and read or sunbath although occasionally there was quite an unpleasant smell.

Having spent two weeks in Santorini in August of last year at a cost of almost £200 per person cheaper I have to say that I felt the cost we paid for this holiday was on the high side. Our accommodation last year was very similar but with a bigger and better pool area and included transfers from the airport.

Wifi is available but only by the pool area, we never managed to get it in our room. Also the TV is in the bedroom and is very small.

That having been said the reviews about the staff are correct, in particular Lynne and Peter who were more than happy to give suggestions of where to go and where to eat which was extremely helpful.

I have to agree that the apartments are in a good location, right by the sea, close to restaurants and a nice 10 minute stroll into the centre of Elounda. If you like cocktails then I would strongly recommend the Venue Bar in the square - best Mai Tai's and lovely nibbles.

Elounda is a good base for exploring the east side of Crete and there is some stunning scenery. The apartments were a good base to do this from.

I am genuinely sorry if some people feel that my rating is unfair but overall whilst in some ways the apartments slightly (only) exceeded expectations it would be wrong for me to say they are excellent.

1 Thank House-ElfPreston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Greek first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

We've just returned from two weeks at the Elounda Sunrise apartments and had a wonderful holiday. We were in room 12, which is one of the ground floor studios, and found it perfectly suited our needs. It was clean, spacious and everything worked as it should - it was a real bonus having wifi in the room as well as the bar! Towels and sheets were changed regularly and the bins were emptied daily.

As has been mentioned by many others, the staff here are just brilliant. Friendly, helpful and genuinely try to do everything they can to make sure you have the best time you can. Food at the bar is tasty and good value, plus it has a lovely friendly atmosphere for drinks in the evening. While we were there they put on a BBQ and disco evening, which was great fun and the food was delicious - I should also say that we never felt any pressure that we had to attend or anything like that, it was all very relaxed and friendly.

The location is excellent. It is just a minute or two from the smaller of the Elounda organised beaches, which has sunbeds and umbrellas for hire (2€ per bed, 2.50€ for an umbrella), with the main beach (and town) being a 10-15 minute stroll. We preferred the smaller beach as it was quieter, but it is the stonier of the two so it depends what you prefer really. As a tip, I'd recommend buying some of the cheap beach shoes that you can find in the shops, whichever beach you choose, as this makes the walk in and out of the sea much kinder on the feet.

It's also close to many good tavernas - we can honestly say that we didn't have a bad meal in the whole two weeks and it is difficult to choose any to particularly recommend. Some are more expensive than others, but it's easy to find good food whatever your budget.

We loved every second of our stay at Elounda Sunrise, will almost certainly return and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

2 Thank Sophie B
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

This was my second stay in room 15 and I loved it. Dimos and Jannis cannot do enough for you, and Peter was a great new addition to the team. I am a single middle age traveller and never once, did I feel in any way unsafe or without company when I needed it. The facilities are ideal - great location, stunning scenery, awesome food and comfortable room which was well serviced and cleaned. I cannot recommend them enough and I will definetly return. Thanks team!

Room Tip: I am a single female traveller, and I found being on the ground floor very safe. I always request ro...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank goldengirluk09
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

We have just come back from another glorious week staying at these apartments. They are spotlessly clean and the view is fantastic, Its a lovely tranquil spot away from the crowds. The owners and staff are always very pleasant nothing is too much bother. We had a problem with our pick up but Yannis sorted it out for us and thank you very much for that we got to the airport on time. We look forward to seeing you all again.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

Was in Crete to photograph a wedding, so pleased we found this little gem of a hotel, which is set in Elounda, which is beautiful, peaceful, quiet and tranquil. With lots of places to eat over looking the bay. Had a truly restful break, which was made all the better by the friendly staff. Lynne, Pete and Gianni and Dimos were always helpful, nothing was too much trouble, they gave the place such a happy atmosphere.
Food was always freshly cooked and tasty. Even had food cooked after arriving back late after the wedding (the kitchen should of been closed) The location is perfect,with views of the bay, the room was a good size, clean and well equipped. The pool, bar and gardens, were lovely, with plenty of sun loungers.
Will defiantly go back, but a week's not long enough.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LynChedz
leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

this was a return visit to the Elounda Sunrise Apartments and it was just as good as before. We were in room 32 which has the best view over the salt pans and across to Kolykithia. I could have spent hours just taking in the view. Dimos, Yianni, Dina, Peter and Lynn and Soula go the extra mile to ensure that you have a good stay, with a wealth of information; of beaches to try and places to visit if you have hired a car, or recommendations of places to eat. The sunrise apartments are at the end of the sea front road next to the Venetian Salt pans and the causeway on to Kolykithia, it is really peaceful and quiet but a short stroll should you want walk to the harbour and square for the restaurants, cafes and bars of Elounda. The rooms are clean and spacious with fresh towels and bed linens changed every couple of days. Would I recommend it definitely.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hellgirl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Elounda is a beautiful sleepy village an hours drive away from the airport , we only went for a bank holiday break ,I so wish we could have stayed longer. The Sunrise Apartments can be found by following a beautiful sea road ,its right at the end . There should be a sign above the Hotel that says " The best place to stay in Elounda" , because that is what it is. Our room was enormous.spotlessly clean , we had a kitchen area,kettle ,coffee percolator two rings to cook, a fridge ,and plenty of cups,plates and saucepans . air conditioned,with a TV and dvd player,we also had a computer,with free access and WiFi everywhere. Nothing was a problem ,I asked for a hair drier and Peter ,our ever smiling host brought one almost immediately. Lots of comfy sunbeds,pool towels, you can lay in the sun or sit under one of the many sun shades. Breakfast was yummy, freshly cooked and really reasonable priced,as were the other meals on the menu.
Lynn and Peter were on hand all day serving drinks and food from the bar ,always smiling ,they gave the whole place a friendly atmosphere. The owners Gianne and Dimos were also there making sure everyone was happy. The beautiful Mirabella Bay is about 10 paces away ,with a few sandy areas to have a paddle or a swim . Just along the same road there are lots and lots of small bars and restaurants ,serving some really delicious food at really reasonable prices. You can walk along to the Square in about 15minutes where you will find more tavernas where they serve a refreshing strawberry Daiquiri or two ! there are some shops just behind the sea road where you will find supermarkets,a chemist,and a few local gift shops. There is nothing I can think of to criticise other than I wished I had stayed there longer. Am going back in August and I can wait. If you are looking for loud,noisy,Ibiza type holidays go to Mallia , If you want hot sun ,great service,fabulous food and just 4 hours from the UK ,Elounda is the place for you. In my other reviews of other places I have been to I have always given an honest review ,I cannot recommend the Sunrise Apartments highly enough It was fabulous.

Room Tip: We were in room 17 but all the rooms are great. room 17 is just a two bedroom with a couch in the lo...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family