“A "Must Visit" at Least Once During Your Stay”
Review of Kariatis

Kariatis
Ranked #13 of 424 Restaurants in Chania Town
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Beautiful, stylish restaurant built on the old Kastelli wall in the wonderful, picturesque Venetian harbour of Chania. Established in 1993, Kariatis enjoys an excellent reputation for top quality food and service with an impressive menu created and served with proficiency and flair. Imaginative and refreshingly different dishes inspired by flavoursome, colourful, aromatic ingredients from both Crete and Italy offering an appetizing assortment of Italian and Mediterranean dishes and delicious gourmet desserts. Also serves fresh filleted fish dishes including sea bass, salmon and tuna and lots of luscious seafood pasta and risotto dishes. During the winter months we will be seducing sushi lovers with our sensational sushi. Kariatis also offers an extensive selection of award-winning Greek and International wines from around the world.
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“A "Must Visit" at Least Once During Your Stay”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We pretty much visit Kariatis every time we holiday in Chania, which is twice a year. It's fair to say that there are very few poor restaurants in the town but this one is a bit special. This year we were among a party of 22 friends from the UK and nobody had a negative comment, with choices made from all over the extensive menu. Mine was Pork Merlot, cooked to perfection and served with style and efficient good humour. Everyone seems genuinely pleased to see you, from the charming Maitresse D' who takes your booking to the chap who delivers your bill. Even if it really is only a job, they have clearly been told that attitude is important. At peak times in the holidays it is almost essential to book, such is its popularity. Although it is "labelled" an Italian Restaurant this is a bit misleading as the menu reflects meals in a multitude of styles and our advice is to give it a try, especially to round off a good trip. A bit more expensive than other local restaurants but you are paying a 3-star price for what at home is a 5-star meal. Our average price was 47 Euros (£40) for everything: food, wine, beer, coffee and gratuities.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank staffsarge

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manningtree, England, United Kingdom
“Italian break in Chania”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We had eaten local dishes all holiday so it was nice to have a change of cuisine one night - we went here for some pizzas and they were very good. Tasty toppings and a nice thin and crispy base, cooked in a wood oven. The wines were good too, and the staff were helpful with recommendations.

London, United Kingdom
“excellent!excellent!excellent!!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Can t really advise which dish was the best!tried it more than once!One of the best recommedations by our receptionist!

Groningen, The Netherlands
“Great Italian food”
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

We had a very pleasant evening at Kariatis. Although is was a busy evening, the service was fast adequate and friendly. Eight years ago, we ate here several times and we were not dissapointed after all these years. The food, wine, atmosphere and staff are still great.

Brussels
“Class act”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I went here with some trepidation. Fancy restaurants in Greece make me nervous - something about presentation over substance - and I had read some reviews about wobbly service, but on my first visit, and there will be more, everything was spot on.

I was greeted by a charming woman who gave me a choice of table, was given a menu and asked if I wanted a drink within 2 minutes, was asked whether I wanted complimentary bread and dip as I was having pizza, had my drink in another 2 minutes and my pizza within perhaps another 7-8minutes. The pizza, prepared without onions as requested, was excellent - good quality mozzarella that did not sit on your stomach, nice flavours. My plate was cleared promptly and the dessert menu was brought promptly, though I asked for the bill instead, which also arrived promptly as did my change. I was tended to by 4 or 5 different staff members all of whom were polite and professional.

A lot of plusses here and the minuses were minor: the plate on which the pizza was served had an uneven, ridged surface which made the pizza hard to cut, though a combination of cutting and tearing did the trick, and the toilet needs a little attention - the taps are very wobbly and look ready to drop off. Are there only one male and one female toilet? It is quite a big restaurant.

Anyway, great. Thanks.