“Perfect location and extremely helpful staff”
Review of Hotel Splanzia

Hotel Splanzia
Ranked #14 of 108 Hotels in Chania Town
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Perfect location and extremely helpful staff”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We spent one night at the Spalnzia hotel on 27th September 2012 - the setting was perfect for what I had in mind - the backdrop to a marriage proposal!

The hotel is conveniently situated on the outskirts of the old town allowing easy access on foot to the best eateries and shopping areas Chania (and arguably Crete) has to offer.

On arrival the staff were helpful and came to our car to collect bags. They then askjed us to wait in reception while they "put the finishing touches to our room". This turned out to be fresh fruit and a bottle of wine and a free mini bar with water, soft drinks and beer. Lovely touches.

The staff in the hotel are just lovely - it is family run and the family are just so kind - Nikos and his brother (who I learned had studied in Bristol) made sure we had the best possible stay. They simply couldn't make us feel welcome enough, they were thrilled that we had got engaged at their hotel and were incredibly sweet.

On arrival they were keen to discover where we had been and showed us some of the best bits of Chania province and recommendations of beautiful beaches and restaurants were forthcoming. They were so proud of their little town, and the recommendations including a wonderful authentic greek cafe across the street were spot on. We will definitely be coming back and they offered a discount on another stay there.

Chania town is lovely, unspoilt and historic. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: All rooms are well appointed with nice touches. Don't expect a palace, but the bedrooms are ext...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Greek first
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

In a tiny street that leads directly to the beautiful haven of Chania, there is a tiny little hotel with a beautiful backyard and terrace, called Splanzia. It's owned by a younger family and they really live in and for the hotel, it really is their family project. And that's the way they will also welcome you. The rooms are nice, but not exceedingly good. It is a higher Greek Standard, but very nice. What is really amazing is the breakfast. This alone is worth the price. You get served continental standards like various eggs, but also very tasty local food, like little cakes with coat cheese, honey and stuff. Further you get nice coffee and a freshly pressed orange juice in the beautiful backyard. If you prefer another hotel, you should at least stay a single night at the end, to enjoy the breakfast. It is really good value and not very expensive. Just try it, if you want to feel really welcome.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hertfordshire
Reviewed October 9, 2012

If you are looking for traditional greek hospitality and a breakfast that can keep you going until midnight the Splanzia is definitely for you. This was our second stay this season and we were again suitably impressed. Highly recommended.

3 Thank Karen19Hertfordshire
Basingstoke, UK
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I was not quite sure what to expect from a "boutique" hotel but what we got was out of this world.

The room we had was excellent including a balcony which led down to the courtyard for breakfast. The huge bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was fine although I missed having a shaver point. There was a complementary bottle of wine and bowl of fresh fruit which was recharged each day.

The breakfasts defy description. Nikos offered various choices which included really creamy yoghurt, corn flakes, any combination of cooked items. What he didn't mention were the complementary breads, rusks with tomato and feta, crepes, cheese pies, Cretan sweet specialities and fresh fruit which just arrived! On those days when we went the whole hog, neither of us could face lunch until 4pm.

The location of the hotel is ideal - in a relatively quiet area but just minutes walk from the harbour or city centre. Another plus is that right opposite the hotel is what must rate as the best place for lunch in Chania (Couzina) and they serve lunch until 5pm!

2 Thank RamblingJohn
Wales
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We only stayed here for one night but would definitely stay again. The guys were really friendly and helpful and wrote down tips for places to visit during our stay in other parts of the island. Breakfast was huge - one of the best we've ever had. Everything was fresh and delicious and really filled us up for the day. Good value and great location in the centre of Chania but away from the touristy area around the harbour. Only slight negative was that the bathroom seemed a little cramped and dated for the style of the hotel, but this could easily be rectified.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakland, CA
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This was the most amazing place to stay in Chania. I was initially disappointed with myself for not staying on the harbor, but it was too expensive. I am so glad I didn't. Splanzia was the best!! I arrived late after arriving at the airport at 1030pm. Nikos was right there at the door to help even though it was late. Recommened somewhere for a late dinner just a block away. Splanzia is in the old city, which has come completely alive. I went down a pedestrian street that was filled with shops and restaurants. My room was spacious with a comfortable bed. Breakfast is amazing and the food just keeps coming. I never got to eat lunch. When I ripped my contact lens the first morning, Ioannis gave me directions to an eye shop for a replacement. They also told me where I could find car rentals, gave me directions for all of my out of town winery tours and helped me lug my wine upstairs to my room.

Coming back to my room every evening felt like coming home. I wish I had had more than 3 nights to spend. I would never consider staying anywhere else in Chania.

Room Tip: All the rooms are different but great.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Broadway, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Just got back from 7 night stay at this terrific hotel in Khania. Checked it out on trip advisor
before I went and everything that was said about it is true. Central location, close to everything and only 10 mins by bus from beaches, Great room, comfy and very clean, excellent breakfast (so much lovely food didnt need any lunch) served in a lovely shady courtyard that is a perfect setting, and friendly,helpful, warm hosts who could not have been more welcoming. Will be going again next year, excellent all round.