“WE'LL RETURN”

Ranked #31 of 110 Hotels in Chania Town
Melbourne, Australia
“WE'LL RETURN”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Amphora hotel was a wonderful place to stay in Chania. Our pretty room had a small balcony overlooking the old Venetian port. Opening the shutters in the early morning was a perfect way to start the day & watching the sunset at night with the harbour lighting up was magical. The hotel is in two old Venetian houses, charmingly renovated, and the reception staff couldn't have been nicer. Chania is a beautiful small town and the surrounding area has stunning mountains with small villages and lovely beaches. It would be easy to spend a week here, unfortunately we didn't allow enough time - so we will be back at Aphora again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a harbour view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Landstuhl, Germany
Reviewed July 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night before leaving from the Chania airport. We spent the rest of our week stay in Paleochora at an amazing hotel for the same price as Amphora, so we were a little biased.

LOCATION:

Pros: The location on the waterfront is great, but hard to find if you don't know where you are going at first if you are driving into town.

Con: Parking is really tough. It took us awhile to find parking a few blocks away. Be prepared with patience. We were hassled so much, in general, along the waterfront that it was a big turn off for the city after a week of relaxation and peace in Paleochora.

ROOMS:

Pros: Great views of the water and lovely balconies.

Cons: Teenie bathrooms that need a major overhaul, uncomfortable beds, small rooms, etc. Basically it's an older building full of charm (a pro) but that also creates cons. We paid the same amount elsewhere in Crete and it included breakfast and larger, more comfortable rooms.

HOTEL:

Pros: The staff was very friendly. They give a 10% discount on their restaurant. Quaint ambiance.

Cons: We ate dinner at the hotel and didn't feel very welcome by the hurried staff. However, along the waterfront it's crazy and I'd avoid eating there in the future.

Overall, It's a decent hotel option in Chania and perfect if you want to be on the water in the center of all of the action. I think it's probably very similar to other hotels in the area. However, for myself personally, I'd probably avoid Chania all together in the future. It's a great place to shop and bop around for a day, but the sheer amount of tourists and hassle you get in that waterfront location is enough to turn one's vacation sour.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a water view. You won't regret it!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I arrived last week on a beautiful warm evening for a week's stay, after all the gloom at home.
Anyway, Hotel Amphora, what more can I add?
It's a lovely small hotel in a gorgious old building, in the old town of Chania.
The rooms are perfectly clean with cute furniture,even a small fridge!
The roof garden provides breathtaking views. Sooo lovely to sit there, even late at night and see the buzz of the harbour.

You immediately feel at home, specially because of the friendlyness of the staff.
Nothing is of any trouble for them.

Many thanks Evie, Anita and Agustin for making my stay a real fantastic experience.
I'm sure I will return one day!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Temiz T
bergen
Reviewed June 1, 2012

An absolute top establishment in Chania. I know the town after having slept all over it since the late eighties, but this is the unleveled place to stay. A part of the old port and a part of the White Mountains. I stayed at number 13, with view both ways, The hosts are warm, smiling and with a flair of Scandinavian coolness, as the lady in command arrives from norwegian roots.
Wonderfully situated roofterasses where you can enjoy the sun(set), the swallows and circulation on the estrade below. Not to mention the breakfast, brought up to you by the waiter after you've been downstairs making your choice from a small, but classy Buffet. The tapenade is superb. The pesto is of ligurian standard. And the beds are the best on the island. But above all, and this is by far the most important: The Restaurant on the waterfront are waited with style and discretion, in perfect compatibility with the cuisine which produces genuine cretan dishes with that little twist of perfection that turns the meal into moment to remember.
No doubt: I've found my place in Chania for the rest of my life.

Tore Ny

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
lausanne
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I really enjoyed my 5 day stay at the Amphora Hotel. The staff are very friendly and efficient (my bags were retrieved from the airport in less than 24 hours) and excursions were arranged without a hitch. The hotel itself is an old Venetian mansion with all modern ameneties and seems to have a recurring clientele (something which does not surprise me). The views of the harbour are probably the best you can get in town and there is a restaurant as well as a roof garden to enjoy. The balcony with the sea view was a delight and so was the room (in effect a small appartment). I will definitely return next time I will be in Chania.

Room Tip: Room 11 has the best view of the harbour, although some people find it noisy on weekends (not yours...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank rfbc
Athens, Attiki, Greece
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I was staying in this nice hotel for 4 days at the beginning of my holliday in May.The room was very
nice and quiet,overlooking the old venetian port.I enjoyed my stay very much!The staff at the reseption desk was very friendly and also all the people working there.Breakfast I took on the roof garden-a very special service from then Hotel and very good-the best start for a nice day.The hotel is very comfortable and clean,everywhere nice details,like flowers and nice decoration.I hope I will come back soon to this charming hotel.Thank you so much for makeing my stay so wonderful.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in this charming hotel, right on the harbour front of Chania. The location could not have been better, though as we were informed at point of booking and very politely on arrival, our room (Sea View Suite) was the closest to the bars and restaurants below so was a little noisy during the night. As we were very keen on sampling the fantastic local wines and complimentary raki, sleeping through any noise was not a problem for us. If you think you might be the same do consider this room as is was a real bargain; with fantastic views, private balcony, acres of space, and four poster bed!

The reception staff were very helpful and welcoming, loaning us beach towels and giving good recommendations for the local sights and sounds.

The shady roof terrace with beautiful plants was a bonus, with excellent views across the harbour and even behind to the White Mountains.

A tip about the local restaurants: although the harbour-front restaurants certainly have beautiful views, don't discount those on the streets behind the harbour for a wonderful and authentic dining experience!

Room Tip: If you are concerned about noise then do call the hotel to get the low-down on which rooms are the q...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple