“Deceiving. Not as advertised on website”
Review of Mme Bassia

Mme Bassia
Ranked #78 of 115 Chania Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Altbough the website says ALL rooms have attached veranda, bathrooms, and AC they do not! I booked a room based on their website. The first room had two twin beds and just a tiny window. In August this was unbearable as there was no breeze. The bathroom was one floor up ans I was told a private bathroom which in fact was shared with another room.

Had to move rooms to a smaller room with still no AC, veranda or bathroom on the second night. I would have checked out after first night but because I was doing an all day hike did not have time to look for other options. Second room was just as bad but had a bigger window. Looked out onto the busy shopping arcade so quite noisy from around nine AM till eleven PM.

Through email I asked for an earlier check on as I was arriving by morning ferry. Was told it was possible from 9 AM. Sat in a cafe till 9 and then at the doorstep till someone finally turned up around 9:30. No apologies or anything. Would have just stayed in the care till 10 if I would have known.

This was Greek hospitality at its worst. Asked about a bus to the gorge to do the hike which a lot of tourist do. I was told to walk to the bus stop ask there. Everywhere else has been helpful and looked up.necessary info on Internet. Guess they were just interested in their customers in their shop.

Just disappointing. When I talked to the owner he just tried to sweet talk his way. There are way better options in Chania. Try Varnas Studios which actually has a reception desk and a better value.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Totoro M
netis, Owner at Mme Bassia, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

I just read this review for my place that is written on 16/10/2012 and i will like to answer to this person that in the first mail is written :
''My Hotel is open every day from 10:00am until 11:00pm, but I can wait if you have a late arrival time.
Check in and out is at 12:00 noon, according to Greek legislation.
If needed in case of late departure, we can provide a space for you to leave your luggage.''
After that the answer for the early arrive is given. for a bad trip or something else is not my mistake....

All my rooms are removed at the same year and all but all my rooms have toilet shower A/C,TV, fridge inside and wi-fi for free.
There are some guest’s that they would like to have a cheap room and for them is only one room that the shower toilet is out of the room ,outside in the terrace with the flowers (the price for that room is 20-30 euro depending of the season).
Because is in the terrace and some other guests can be there and join the sun with a café if they wants to use the toilet is normal that I can’t be there 24 hours and take care of that….
Yes I have two stores under of my place and im there 12-15 hours per day but not in the tarrace..
Also I can’t be a God about the breeze and the sun and the hot…. In August in Chania is hot!!!!

About my hospitality I would prefer the silence and let the comment on the internet talk for me…
Chania is a small town you don’t need internet to go to Samaria special when you are in Chania thanks God everything is so near.

Of course there is many other choices in hotel in Chania cause we live from the tourism that we respect and we are sweet and nice but in a different value for everyone depending what needs and how much wants to pay….
I’m so sorry for that review am lucky because of the past reviews about me and most important for my place and more lucky because they will answer guests that they really meet me and join my company and the Greek hospitality.
Everybody is welcome to my place to join my Hospitality and join our beautiful town.
Thank you any way traveler and …still love you!!!
Nectarios Bouzakis

Reviewed September 28, 2012

The location of this hotel is very nice, in the old town so we are near the restaurants, the harbor and the shops. Just one bad point that was not written the street is not reachable by car. If you have a car you need to park in the street (we found some little streets where it was free at almost 500m) so the first time you arrive you don't know what to do.
The owner is very nice.
The room was quite big with a balcony. The bathroom was OK, but as there is no separate shower the water is spreading quite everywhere in the bathroom when you take a shower.
However for the price it is a good hotel for a big city like Chania.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Mme. Bassia in June of 2011. We couldn't have been happier with this spot! It was awesome. We were able to walk to everything and felt completely at home. Nectarios was an amazing host and told us all the highlights of Crete that we shouldn't miss. He was also more than generous with the cost of the room per night for such a great location. He was friendly at every encounter and was around if you needed anything at all. The room we had was very modest but we felt it was very authentic to Europe! It was perfect for us and we would recommend Mme Bassia to anyone travelling to Hania!

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Trezelme
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Sweet and friendlfy B&B. The owner operates the Crete stand every year in the Brussels Xmas Markets. He can also help with rental cars and other accomodation in other cities.
Highly reccommendable.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2011

the hotel has rooms that are renovated and old rooms.
the old rooms are horrible to stay, even for free. the renovated rooms are nice, not spacious, very small wc. the cleaning was poor.
the location is very good very close to the market, the port, the bars n restaurants.

in few words the money you pay are worthing the quality of the renovated rooms.

Room Tip: ask for the rooms on the left side of the building. these are the renovated rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank savvastzeve
Reviewed June 13, 2011

The staff is so helpful and friendly here, you couldn't possibly find anything bad to say about the place! You are close to many restaurants, the harbor, and the bus station. The rooms are clean and made up everyday. Wifi is included but not very fast, yet who cares when you are in Greece! It was just a lovely quaint place to experience Crete from!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2011

Because it was winter and the place was empty we were given a very nice front room with plenty of room and a nice (if somewhat small) bathroom with antique touches. Owner Nectarios met us and gave us an introduction to Hania and offered to help in whatever he could. We stayed there just one night, but it was enough to believe that is is one of the best choices around. Payed 35 euro (low season).

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple