“The Contessa checked out years ago!”
Review of Contessa Hotel

Contessa Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chania Town
Contessa Hotel
Ranked #75 of 98 Chania Town B&B and Inns
Edinburgh
“The Contessa checked out years ago!”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The hour was waining & I was tired from driving when I arrived at Chania Old Town. Armed with my travel guide I first asked about rooms at the nice looking Madonna studios.

They were full - so the Madonna lady 'kindly' lead me to near the harbour front to the empty Hotel Contessa.

The manager Bertha showed me room 5 - all very dated but clean with air conditioning hence I gave in to the €50 per night for 2 nights rate. After all, I did need a place & Chania seemed booked up.

I always travel with a good eye mask & quality earplugs - but they were no defence for the long night ahead.

The next morning I needed to be fresh and up early to catch the 6am bus to the Samaria Gorge.

What you're not advised of at check in is that a few metres away there is a port side nightclub that thumps out the heavy bass and loud chatter from midnight to sunrise.

The excellent earplugs were well and truly defeated by The Killers et al & noisy harbor front. As I set off for the bus at 5.45am the young & carefree were still arriving at the club!

Not a wink of sleep was had - poor preparation for a long 18km gorge hike.

Shame, as the initial welcome at the hotel seemed ok too - fresh orange and 'home made' cinnamon biscuits.

Upon returning to Chania after the Samaria walk I was determined to check out of the crumbling Hotel Contessa and seek a quiet and peaceful place for much needed sleep.

I asked Bertha the manager to please wait as I needed to pay & check out after 1 night & she seemed to understand. I packed within 5 minutes - but when I made it down the many stairs with heavy luggage in hand, Bertha (who feared losing her only paying guest 1 night early) had done a runner, turned the lights off & left for the night! Over and out!

All is fair in love & war- but she had my Passport & I was flying out to Rhodes next day!

Apart from the noisy setting, Hotel Contessa hasn't had a lick of paint since the '50s. If you want authenticity - poor shower, dodgy plumbing, bad electrics (manual hot water) – complete with a stale smell - this is the place for you. As highly recommended by the Madonna Studios after all! Don't take their word for it - stay well clear of this unmanned dump.

They took me for the full €100 for 2 nights. Poor value - but I had to pay to escape and retrieve my passport.

Bertha turned on the water works and I felt bad - but took the cash for 2 nights. Upon leaving, fake tears in eyes, as a gift she gave me the unfinished packet of supermarket cinnamon biscuits. The ‘home baking’ not so homely after all. €100 is lot for biscuits.

In the end, the nearby Ifigenia Studios saved the day with a nice ground floor studio room (complete with Jacuzzi bath) and excellent breakfast.

I'll be back to lovely Chania - but will give the Hotel Contessa the body swerve it deserves.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank iainwish

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Greek first
Brighton
Reviewed September 8, 2006

Booked this place after a review in the Rough Guide, a mistake. Very noisy at night, with a busy bar pumping out music until 4 am. The room itself was large with a great view, but felt basic. The bathroom was terrible, a leaking toilet and a shower head that couldn't be fastened to the wall and had to be held. The staff were very welcoming and sweet and it's probably OK for a overnight stay if you are going out to party but otherwise the Casa Delfino next door is much nicer . . . (we moved after one night!).

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Tips/Secrets — Try next door
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Brightoncouple

Travelers are raving about these Chania Town hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 29, 2006

Hotel Contessa is one of the most beautiful romantic places to stay. The staff were wonderful, the views are great and I love the fact that each room is set up as a suite so you didn't have to pay the extra cost to get the best. Oh and one other thing - the Food was excellant!!!!

Thank you Hotel Contessa for a memorable moment. You made the list of "Best Places to Stay". I give this place a 5+ star rating....

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
#1 of 2 in Chania
Talos Rooms
Talos Rooms
#54 of 98 in Chania Town

Been to Contessa Hotel? Share your experiences!