“Stunning”

Ranked #3 of 44 things to do in Chania Town
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Just so breathtakingly pretty. My tip is to find a cafe/taverna/bar overlooking the harbour and sit, with a drink and enjoy this wonderful view. However, be careful, some of these establishments are very expensive and they will pester you to take a seat. As you face out to sea walk along the harbour to your right, past the old mosque and you will find a quieter, more civilized (and less expensive) group of bars that have just as good a view as those more centrally located. You should also look back inland to appreciate the majesty of the White Mountains

3  Thank terrypoole1
Write a ReviewReviews (5,679)
All reviews
in 146 reviews
"bustling"
in 43 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Just came back after another long stay in Chania. So I feel the need to update my last review of the Old Venetian Harbour:
The bars and restaurants at the west side of the waterfront, from Chalidon Street to Angelou Street, are not worth the trouble. The tiresome people who try to lure you in try different tricks. Last week I heard one say that the place had top reviews in TripAdvisor - he was lying. One of my friends sat down for a Gin & Tonic in one of the bars - it was undrinkable. Read reviews of these places, you will be amazed by some of the stories. I have also read plenty of good reviews that bare all the marks of a fake. I have reported a few of them. I can't review them myself, since I haven't set foot in one in years. I don't want to spend money just to get empiric proof of the obvious. I know what the guys I saw sitting with their boot-shaped, 1 liter glasses of beer said when they got the bill. They asked for a beer, got two in one glass and paid for four.
We often take the back streets to Angelou, just to avoid the depressing and un-cretan experience of hustlers. I have asked some friends who live in Chania if they know any decent place in this part of the harbor and the answer is always no.
But the harbor is beautiful, so don't let this tirade scare you off. Just turn right instead of left when you get to it. On this side the bars and restaurants are more honest and you will not be harassed when you pass. If you continue further East to the fishing harbor, there are really good places, like Glossitses. Or walk to Nea Chora and eat delicious fish in almost any restaurant there.
The reason I write this is that I love Chania and it saddens me that many visitors get their first impression of the town by getting ripped off.

6  Thank John G
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The old harbor for us was the most beautiful place in the whole of Crete. It was as gorgeous as unexpected, especially after the stark Venetian walls that kept it from view. It has a really magical atmosphere, full of history and romance, I felt truly in Venice, overwhelmed by the charming little houses, elegantly decorated terraces and the roaring sea which sometimes flooded the street.

2  Thank Coraline_travelling
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Great ambience, perfect for strolling especially after sunset - but I would certainly avoid dining there (tourist traps :) )