“Recouperation and Renewal after a Long Hike”

Al Hammam Authentic Turkish Baths
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: In the beautiful town of Chania you can see the armonic co-existence of different traditional architectures Venezian,Arabic,Ottoman. This is the beauty and the uniqueness of this town. One of the most interesting element of this architectural puzzle are the old Ottoman Baths, which you can find in ruins…The Hammams were brought to Chania by the Ottomans of Asia Minor. As Sherazade, the unforgettable protagonist of "A Thousand and One Nights" said: "A town is incomplete without a Hammam." Crossing the threshold, you enter a new dimension where old world traditions are infused with modern day services. Unlike Spas that call any steam room a Hammam, Al Hammam is the only one, authentic Hammam with all natural, organic, and traditional treatments; where beauty, well-being, body care, and relaxation of the mind are experienced in harmony. The Hammam will cleanse your body in a heated, low-mist room atop heated Venetian Marble tables, where an aesthetician exfoliates you and delivers an invigorating, full body Gommage using authentic black Moroccan Olive Oil Soap - your skin will be left feeling soft and supple - a prelude to your Hammam body ceremony.
Reviewed October 5, 2013

My wife and I had completed an unexpectedly grueling hike through the Samaria Gorge two days earlier. We were sore and exhausted. When we arrived in Chania, a kind lady presented us with a brochure for al Hammam and we decided to give it a try. Over the next 90 minutes, two skilled and friendly massage therapists soothed away our aches and pains. After the massage, we were sent to a private room with comfortable couches and were regaled with tea, candy and a beautiful view of the old harbor. A truly memorable experience that we enthusiastically recommend to anyone who visits Chania.

1  Thank Dennis L
"crete"
in 7 reviews
"ottoman"

Reviewed October 1, 2013

To Eva and the the other girls at Al Hammam who makes me beutiful for my wedding!!
Thank you so mutch !!!

Karin

Reviewed September 1, 2013

The place is decorated so that you feel part of this very impressing old town of Chania! You just could feel the atmosphere! The service was wonderful, with sincere smiles and small talk, everybody was very friendly and welcoming. For a fair price we had a really wonderful treatment with exfoliating and massage. The girls doing the massage were very correct and well-trained. Then they served tea by the window overlooking the old harbor. My husband and I never felt cleaner and better taken care of :) ! Don't miss this Little Luxury Hammam place by the Fountain if you have a couple of hours to relax during your sightseeing.

1  Thank Polina S
Reviewed August 16, 2013

The combination of a perfect landscaped area with a large number of organized services feaure the Al Hammam ideal destination for relaxation and armony for those who come to Chania for holidays and not only.. i booked my appoinment one week ago aiming to dispose little time for myself to relax from my daily routine and the pressure of my job. i chose to try the traditional Turkish bath. it was a fantastic experience. the consistency, courtesy and professionalism are the words i would use to describe this Spa. my appointment was on time (something that unfortunately is not easily found), enviroment in turkish bath was scrumptious and also was the professional massage from the physiotherapist. the experience doesn't end after the end of such treatment. they offer you green tea and tradiotional delights on the rooftop terrace overlooking the old harbour of Chania. i'll not be mentioned further. just try it!!! highly recomend!!!

See more reviews
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I would appreciate if you would consider my experience carefully before you decide to go here.

It looks like a beautiful place, and it sounds like a beautiful place. However.

My partner and I booked an hour long couples massage and arrived 10 minutes early. We were ushered into a changing room and got into robes, and damp footwear.

Once robed, we were shown to a private sitting/waiting room that looks out onto the port. Sounds nice, but the first thing I noticed was that the last guest’s half eaten Turkish delight sat in a tray in front of us. Yuck.

And we waited. And waited. A woman came in and told us that they were running a just a little late and that it would not be much longer.

40 minutes later and pretty annoyed now, we were shown to our couples massage room. Two young female masseuses came in and giggled and chattered away in Greek while setting up… making my partner and I feel quite uncomfortable. When you are lying almost naked on a massage table apart from a towel, it’s quite rude and unsettling to hear them laughing and talking, knowing that we can’t understand.

Both of our massages were atrocious. The use of a lot of oil was designed, I imagine, to cover weak, disinterested, uneducated massages that were more like an awkward rub down. My partner said he almost got tickled at certain points, even after asking for a firmer massage.

The massages did not go for an hour. 45 minutes each and then we were shown back to the same room we were placed in beforehand, to have tea. We were fuming at this stage for not only being delayed to start with, but having it finish short of an hour.

The woman on the front counter (possibly the owner) even had the grace to look a bit embarrassed when we silently paid the absolutely ridiculous amount of money they were charging for an “hour” massage.

An absolute rip off. Do not waste your time or your money.

8  Thank BrioneJean