“Good home cooked food”

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I have been visiting this restaurant for several years now. It is the first one I visit everytime I come to Chania. It lies on a quiet little side street not far from the harbor. The service is welcoming and friendly and the food fresh and home cooked. I would recommend trying the traditional cretan food, I have some greek friends who visit the restaurant with us and they always recommend those dishes as very good and authentic. They also have some very good wines that complement the good and atmosphere.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

To advise about the ultimate sudden experience is difficult, as it varies from year to year.
Several of my favorites restaurants over the years in Chania, have I unfortunately had to remove from my "archipelágous"-list and the other way round. After have rejected a favorite for a few years can it suddenly be a “top notch” again!
Now, in September, I together with my husband and our two adult children visited Steki Taverna for the first time, which turned out to be a small jewel, cosily situated in an alley and partly housed in a house ruin.

Steki´s menu is moderately long and they have a “frugal” wine list, but it does absolutely nothing. My daughter and I ordered lamb chops, medium rare which was absolutely amazing in taste and tenderness. My son ordered Lamb in oven and it tasted excellent. My husband however was disappointed, he ordered his favorite dish - Pastitsio, which unfortunately got zero points. Despite this - Steki almost gets full marks this time. I will follow up my review next time I visit Chania, and who knows - maybe I give Steki 5 points then!

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Been to Steki restaurant a number of times either for dinner or lunch
The food at Steki's is un-deniable, very fresh and tasty! Some of the best food ever! They have a decently large menu of Greek/Mediterranean dishes. Some of our favorite dishes traditional mix greek plate for 2 (with musaka, pastitsio, stuffed tomato, green beans, roasted potatoes), pork gyros served with traditional staka, homemade cheese, steki salad, bureki, kaltsounia (cretan cheese pies), cretan smoked pork and lamp chops and the famous raki!
Staff is very polite and friendly and have good knowledge of the menu and wines.
Definitely recommend Steki! I will come here again and again!

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Silent pedestrian street is hiding this lovely traditional greek taverna. It has spacious and charming decorated outdoor area, be sure to enjoy it if weather allows you. If chairs are too hard, ask the waiter for extra soft seat.
Staff is basic and kind, and doesn't push you into splashing your cash.We had meatballs with greek yoghurt and tomato sauce (don't ask, somehow it goes together) and few salads: what we received was plenty of very-well prepared and decorated food, that was tasty as well. If you can, take a small caraffa of house wine, it will be enough for 2-3 persons. I was well fed, and had no need for dinner later :-)

Reviewed October 2, 2013

5 day holidays, 5 daily visits to this restaurant!
Amazing cretan traditional dishes especially the lamb!!

Highly recommended restaurant !