“Disappointing”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
yorkshire, uk
“Disappointing”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Planned a romantic evening for our wedding anniversary with a meal overlooking the harbour in Chania which is beautiful.
We chose Lithos after reading many positive reviews but were very disappointed.
We arrived early evening when the restaurant was nearly empty. All tables overlooking the habour were vacant so we asked if we could sit there - staff told us they were reserved & we were allocated a table just behind - still a great view.
After ordering drinks and food, tables began to fill - including the front tables with people that had been coaxed in from the habour - maybe not reserved at all & annoying! We also heard staff offering guests a complimentary drink of their choice which for whatever reason we had not.
Appetisers arrived - deep fried cheese & bruschetta - tasty but only warm.
Main courses - my hubby ordered the mixed grill & was surprised to be presented with a hotdog sausage, a thin beefburger, a tiny chop & a strip of chicken. I ordered a fillet steak with béarnaise sauce medium rare. The steak was so tough & the sauce so peppery (no hint of béarnaise at all) I couldn't eat it.
We waited 10 minutes for our plates to be cleared & only then the staff asked if everything was ok. We explained our concerns and was assured that the manager would come speak to us. A gentleman approached the table, did not introduce himself & when we asked if he was the manager he replied 'yes, well nearly'!!
We were offered fruits / deserts and a reduction in the bill. We declined the extra food as to be honest we just wanted out, after a spoilt 'romantic evening'
The staff seemed to be great with families, in particular young children but as a couple could not recommend.

1 Thank jasu
aria p, Manager at Lithos Restaurant Cafe, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
dear sir
First of all we would like to clear things up.
You reserved the table at 19:00 and i was already there.when you came the waiter asked you if you have any problem sitting at a table just behind the front,because the sun is still high at that time and all the front line of our tables are under the sun.he offered you that table for your own comfort.under the shadow but enjoying the same view.im so sorry you did not understand that.
Secondly,you werent offered a welcome drink like the others because we offer something special for customers that reserve tables.A home-made cheese cake that would fit for your wedding anniversary but you did not accepted it.
When you ordered the mixed grill you knew that it included a sausage as the photo of it signs at our menus.just to mention, our sausages are local traditional and not "hot dogs"
I tasted the bearnaise sauce myself as soon as you compained and it didnt seem peperly to me.despite that i did not hesitate to uncharge your fillet from your bill at once.the whole price of the fillet.that shows our responsibillity
Finally,please believe that we tried our hardest to satisfy you.from the first moment till when you left we tried almost everything to make you smile a little bit.it is a pity that we didnt make it -not for our restaurant-but for your wedding anniversary.
Honestly i deeply believe that if we could have this evening again i cant find anything we could do more than that.didnt charge the fillet, offered fruits and cheese cake but not accept them and the most important offered you a better table for that time and you did not appreciate it.
Im really sorry but it takes two to tango

• Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Stockholms Län, Sweden
“Atmosphere, service and great food!!!”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Located in the Venetian Harbour of Old Town, Chania this lovely restaurant is the perfect place for a quiet dinner while the sun sets over the rooftops.
We had the pleasure of being served by Nikos who made our final night in Crete a very good ending to a fantastic week.

Daniel with family from Sweden.

PS. Nikos, still the best Baklava I had in my life :-)

• Visited June 2013
thank you so much for your nice review at trip advisor about restaurant lithos.we try to become better and better every day and our customers reviews help a lot..thank you once again and hope to serve you again
Vancouver, Canada
“Rave Review”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

In my research I came across a rave review on a restaurant on a blog a fellow had written about that he and his wife had visited some years ago. Lithos. We found it on the new port side and sat down. My husband showed the waiter the review and he asked if he could show the owner. She was SO happy to read it.

We were on a cruise and only had time for a beer and glass of white wine and some bruschetta which was fresh and melt in your mouth. But then the waiter brought over a plate of olives / salsa / olive oil and freshly baked bread compliments of the owner. SO nice. SO absolutely delicious! Then as we were leaving she sent over glasses of Raki (like ouzo) for us. Wow!

Looking forward to our next trip back to Chania and LIthos! Don't miss it!

• Visited June 2013
we all have to thank you for your nice review at trip advisor about our restaurant.for such kind and smilie people it really worhs working for.we would be very happy to serve you again.enjoy your summer
Aldershot, United Kingdom
“The long wait”
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

I came here with my family due to the positive reviews from trip advisor, I can't believe that this place has so many high scores, there were six of us including my 2 year old son, the starters took over an hour to arrive, when I complained about this I was told we had ordered complicated starters, all we had ordered was squid and mushroom bruschetta!!! Not that complicated, we asked for the bill and paid for our drinks after waiting one hour and 15 minutes, the manager was very rude and tried to prove to me that we had not been there that long by checking her computer, when she had seen for herself that we had been there that long she just shrugged and offered no apology!!! This could have been diffused with a Simple sorry and offer of some kind. Our waiter was half asleep and did not seem interested in our order at all, terrible service.

5 Thank Slambert89
aria p, Manager at Lithos Restaurant Cafe, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear sir.
Many of those that you are talking about are true.I did not believe that you had to wait for so long ,at the beggining and i did not believe it because we have never experienced such a situation before in our restaurant.I might had been surprised when i found out,but not rude at all.Yes sir, me and my partners apologized to you several times.The waiter would had been really difficult to be "sleeping" in a place where when you came there was not a single chair empty.Please believe me that we all tried our hardest from the moment we realizad what had happened due to power cut ,only your order had never reached the kitchen,but unfortunatelly it was too late to catch the cooking times.We are deeply sorry and express our apollogies in public for not contributing in having a nice night.We are really sorry for not giving us the opportunity to try our tasty food that was about to be served to your table but-not unexcused-you denied to accept.Please sir, if you are still in chania accept our invitation for a free lunch or dinner to our restaurant for you and your guests.It will be our pleasure to express our apollogies not only in words in that way.
London
“What a real treat”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Some of the best staff I've ever experienced in a restaurant, but that only makes them typical Cretans. This is the place to eat and watch the very interesting world go by. Right on the harbour front at Chania you can watch the constant comings and goings of the many glass bottomed boats and eat wonderful food at the same time. No real point in mentioning any particular item on the menu because although we didn't eat all of them you can safely assume they will all be just superb. As always in Crete you get free this and free that and smiles all round.

• Visited June 2013
thank you so much for your review at trip advisor.the whole team of lithos work really hard to create the perfect environment for all our customers.hope to serve you again