“Totally on board with Captain Nick”

Captain Nick's Glass Bottom Boat Aphrodite
Ranked #1 of 47 Tours in Chania Town
More attraction details
Owner description: Captain Nick is Chania's Number 1 boat trip provider. We are a small family run company with one boat 'Aphrodite'. We have been running our trips for over 20 years and we offer boat cruises and snorkel trips for either 1 hour, 2.5 hours, 3.5 hours or private hire. We visit two islands on our trips and on the longer trips Captain Nick takes you on a guided snorkel trip to seek out octopus. Children and adults alike get to 'Captain the ship!
Reviewed October 31, 2013

It is hard to imagine our family snorkelled today in the Sea of Crete, watching some beautiful fish and enjoying the scenery and weather! Perhaps it is hard to believe because it was genuinely so easy to do on Captain Nick's boat. Nick puts a lot of his personality and experience into the trip. He personally fits each passenger with mask, snorkel and fins, going thru how to properly don the gear. He takes a lot of time to discuss the area, the mountain goat island and submerged plane over which the boat travels and can be seen thru the glass bottom. The goat island and plane were not of great interest to us, but he has such enthusiasm for them and that goes a long way to making the trip enjoyable. But when you reach the smaller island to enter the water, he is very engaged with safety issues and ensuring that everyone sees fish and an octopus that he brings on board for show and tell. Our two children had not really snorkelled before and they loved it. Nick features so prominently in these reviews, because he genuinely wants the guests to have fun and he seems to live his life that way. This was the last trip of this season and he approached it the way he probably approached the first trip. Others have said this was the best 15€ spent and while we agree, it was more that we genuinely enjoyed the time, had a unique experience snorkeling on our vacation in Crete and met someone who loves what they do.

1  Thank Konatravelers
There are newer reviews for Captain Nick's Glass Bottom Boat Aphrodite

Reviewed October 30, 2013

one hour of pure dead brilliant .a must for all .thank you for a very memorable time hope to come back soon for a return visit.and longer tour next time very good value for money.tracy @elizabeth meneil.x.x.x.x.x

Annie_in_Chania, Owner at Captain Nick's Glass Bottom Boat Aphrodite, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Tracy, thank you, your review put a huge smile on my face. Only another Glaswegian (which I am) really understands 'pure dead brilliant'! To anyone else wondering, it means fantastic!!! :)

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We booked the 3,5 hours cruise with one of Nick's friendly assistants in the habour of Chania and he didn't promise too much. For only 20 euros per person captain Nick took us around Thodorou island and then to Lazaretta island, where we stayed for about one hour. Everyone received fitting snorkelling equipment and basic instructions and was then invited to join the captain on a snorkelling adventure to find an octopus, a snail and starfish. Captain Nick took the sea creatures to the beach for a photo session and returned them safe and sound to sea afterwards. One free drink was included as well, all drinks purchased after were 1 Euro only. I can strongly recommand this trip to all generations who enjoy the sea and sea activities. And captain Nick is unique and a master of entertainment.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Great experience, haven't been snorkeling since I was 7 or 8 years old and I all I remember was not being able to see anything and it being quite boring, even in the Med, just off Cyprus. So I wasn't sure what to expect but Nick took us out to an amazing spot where a good few hundred small fish surrounded the boat. The water was maybe 4 meters deep so you could free dive to the bottom quite happily.

The goat thing around the island I found to be a bit pointless, you can see goats anywhere but we saw four of the rare goats on the island and went to have a look at the old German fighter plane wreckage. But when we got to the island for snorkeling, we had a great time and all the snorkeling gear worked perfectly, we were even given flippers which I didn't expect. I also liked the way he kept saying, "I cannot guarantee we will see goats/octopuses" but then we saw four goats and he caught two octopuses, which we all got to touch and have a photo with it on us!

Overall, great fun, great service, great price, great hospitality, great fish, great views and well worth the money! This is a must do if you are in Chania for the day.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

My two children and I recently did a one hour trip on Captain Nick's boat. He was very friendly and charismatic and even allowed my children to steer the boat for a while as we headed towards a nearby island. We had 20 minutes to snorkel (all equipment provided). I tried taking my young son to the beach of the island but got into difficulty. However, Nick was quick to cone to the rescue and took my son back to the boat. If you are in Chania, go to the harbour and try out this trip - it was a great experience. Cheap drinks too.