“Paradisiac food (and I've tried many Chania restaurants)”
Review of Paradosiako

Paradosiako
Ranked #361 of 419 Restaurants in Chania Town
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Harrogate, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Paradisiac food (and I've tried many Chania restaurants)”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

HOW WE DESCOVERED THE RESTAURANT AND THE FIRST IMPRESSION

I've eaten at Tamam, Semiramis, Ella, two restaurants in the Venetian port and one close to the ship docs with live music of which names I don't remember and other few which aren't really worth mentining, and I can tell you that whoever rates this restaurant, Paradosiako, poor is either a hunter of international cuisine in a luxury decorated environment or a fopish.
The waiter hooked us the first night (we had accomodation close to the street) and even though we hate beeing hooked by waiters, this one seemed diferent - the kind of friendly person with wise look and soundly humane character. We were looking for a desert so he politely indicated us another restaurant close-by if we wanted desert: "I only serve traditional food", the words came with kind of a sincere regret, like he would have given us the desert for free if he had any. :) This really made me like the man.
Anyway, during our stay we ate in diferent restaurants in Chania and we liked the food, though in many of them the food seemed too often excesivey oily. However we were thinking that before we go, we should eat at his place. So in the last day we returned to eat here. The terrace is nice as is the view of the street, but don't expect the ellegance in the port. I would define the ambiance rather cosy, intimate and quiet. Perfect to dine.

THE FOOD

Here was my choice to try the traditional greek grilled Octopus. For those who like seafood, I can tell you it was absolutely delicious (maybe not hit by the rocks to become tender - as it is said that is traditionaly coooked -, but definetely delicious - I had only once before eaten a grilled octopus in Thesaloniki, and can not compare with the taste of this one). So I'm not an expert but I can tell you what, my darling young wife (we were on honeymoon by the way :) ), which is usualy not fond of seafood and actually jokes around with me making faces when I order something out of the sea, actually stole quite some bit out of my plate, happy like a child. :) Me quite astonished but very glad she finally liked something out of the sea.
Then, for the second plate we chose a mixed plate for two - even though our host initialy insisted to order the fish plate (and he only does this because they have only fresh fish and is a pity to let it expire on the stock). We would have oordered that but already had eaten fish the other day so we wanted to try something else.
The mixed plate for 2 was in my opinion imense (now, Eva doesn't eat much but this time she really "tasted" some). Delicious meatballs, vegetable balls, some pork with sauce and clove, courgette pane, stuffed vine leaves, the best mousaka and boureki (oh, we ordered a boureki in the port and thought we would never ever in our life order boureki again - horrible plate, but if I tell you there was nothing left out of the Paradosiako boureki, imagine the diference!) everything absolutely aromated like nowhere in Chania. A combination of tastes and flavours (for exemple the combination of pork with clove, or the meatballs with calamint, or the surprisingly falvoured stuffed vine leaves - i don't know what they put in them) it was EXTRAORDINARY. It was for the first time in Chania that i felt i tasted some powerful traditional cretan taste (the flavours mix in the food was perfect).
I liked the food here so much that i could never run out of words to describe it. I don't doubt that the food is cooked to suit the turists' taste, like everywhere else but is the closest taste to traditional. It really convinces you.
If you were on a trip to Chania and you'd ask me, I would tell you: "Don't go eat in the venetian port every night, try once or twice at most for the landscape, and then try Tamadosiako m, Semiramis, Ella, but under no circumstances, DON'T MISS PARADOSIAKO."
So if ever in Chania, Paradosiako is worth the money and the experience and try to find hidden restaurants on the streets rather tha eat in the port or in the most marketized places because they have tasty international way of cooking, but the best traditional and flavoured food you will find in anonimous tavernas, that don't suffer much marketing.

I wish you all the best!

P.S.: Never tried the wine here, but for those who like rose wine i can recommend the Ella restaurant house rose wine. Very nice!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank cocosila

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Chania Town, Greece
“REALLY... FRESH FISH”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Fresh fish, normal prices, wonderful location, traditional cooking, relaxing enviroment!

Visited September 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good food Friendly service”
Reviewed November 7, 2011

The seafood was fresh and authentic, The server even included free wine with our meal. Very inexpensive, filling and worth it. There are many restaurants in old chania town that just serve food because there are people who will buy it, But this place actually cared how it tasted.

• Visited September 2011
Sacramento, California
“A Creta Delight - Fresh and Fantastic and a Vegetarian's Food Treasure”
Reviewed October 2, 2011

We were strolling the small streets of Old Harbour, Chania, Crete, and stumbled upon this cafe-tavern. Of the four of us, all are vegetarians with vegan tendancies. We explained this to the owner and he simply said, I will prepare a food plate for all. A couple of us were concerned that he did not understand our needs and he insured he did. The plate he prepare for us was something we were not expecting - a culinary treasure of lightly battered eggplant with fava beans, potato moussaka, stuffed grape leaves, hummus, and more. All fresh and served with house white wine and raki (as a gratis). Superb meal, one of a kind experience, with a Creta flair that only could be provided by this owner. A must if in Creta.

• Visited September 2011
Nicosia, Cyprus
“I wouldn't suggest it...”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

There are many choices in Chania much better than this in terms of location, quality and quantity of food, price and service.

I didn't eat some of the items served in the seafood platter which the waiter pressured us to order because they seemed re-heated.

If you know what to expect from a good Greek taverna and you also know how to judge food and cooking...you will not be satisfied by this restaurant.

• Visited August 2011