“Can't wait to go back” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Well of the Turk

The Well of the Turk
Ranked #18 of 403 Restaurants in Chania Town
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Well of the Turk restaurant and bar offers a delicious selection of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern specialties, to be enjoyed to the sounds of a great collection of Middle Eastern music. Set in a historical building in the center of the Turkish district of Splantzia, with its labyrinth of narrow streets and two remaining minarets, one will find The Well of the Turk restaurant at Rouga Square, across the unique 13th century underground church of Agia Irene.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Can't wait to go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

We spent 10 days in Greece and this was our favorite meal. Everything we ordered, from salads and vegetarian dishes to lamb and dessert were flavorful and unlike anything we’d had before. The award-winning chef Jenny has a talent for combining the flavors of different cuisines. The atmosphere was lovely: tables outside in a charming street court. We went with friends and ordered family-style, allowing us to sample as many dishes as possible. A must stop for us if we return!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JenB_44444

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
“Great food, crumby service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Go for the food. It's definately some of the best in Chania. Be aware the service is horrible. As long as your expectations are low you will enjoy the meal. Also watch your bill. They charged us for things we did not order. They also charged 18 euros for roki.

2 Thank Gte718p
JennyPayavla, Owner at The Well of the Turk, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Gte718p,
I'm glad to read that you enjoyed our food, and you think it is among the "best in Chania"! Your review here on tripadvisor is the first I hear however about your apparent problems with the bill. I cannot imagine how this happened without it being brought to my attention. I was so concerned to read this that I called a staff meeting, but neither had the staff been made aware of a mistake being made on any customer's bill. What I find even more strange and disturbing is that we don't have "roki" (I assume you mean raki?) on our menu at all (or any other item for as much as 18EUR!). We usually serve raki/tsikoudia, a digestive spirit, at the end of the meal courtesy of the restaurant as a token of our appreciation of our guests.
Finally, I am curious to know what it is in particular about our service that you experienced so negatively. It is really helpful when a review is qualified and specific so I can address a particular issue as it may arise.
London, United Kingdom
“Watch your bill at the end of the meal!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

We ate here after reading about the place in the Rough Guide. We were not particularly impressed. The atmosphere is nice and the food was good, however the waiters were not friendly or helpful. At the end of the meal our bill came to 67 Euros. We were a bit surprised as we had eaten 4 dishes, each costing less than 10 Euros. We checked it again and although everything was listed correctly the final total was wrong. When we checked this (very politely) with the waiter he just smirked at us and then produced another bill with the correct total (43 Euros) without saying anything. No apology or anything. It could have been a perfectly honest mistake but it seemed to us as if they were trying it on to see if we would notice or not. if you go there check your bill!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank H C G
uk
“A haven of good food and tranquility”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

I have visited this restaurant for 4 consecutive years,always booking ahead and have never been anything other than blown away by the variety and quality of the food.It is in a quite street where there is a very gentle breeze that somehow air-conditions the street.The restaurant is undoubtedly the best in Chania.The menu is interesting and combines both greek and turkish food.My son and I visited it this year and we sampled the water melon and cheese salad and loads of the hot appetisers,all were wonderful but the baba ganoush was undoubtedly the best that we had ever tasted.The house white wine was excellent and the overall cost of 55 euros for a wonderful evening was too little.Dont forget to book in advance or you will miss a wonderful experience.Only open in evenings.Get directions or follow the i-phone.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
JennyPayavla, Owner at The Well of the Turk, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear H C G,
I'm glad that you enjoyed the atmosphere and good food at our restaurant, and so quite upset to read that you sorely misinterpreted a sincere mistake that was corrected immediately! I'm also sorry that I did not get to talk to you in person to apologize for my waiter-in-training's error. To set the record straight, I cherish my customers greatly and would never even dream of such a ridiculous notion as to try to sneak a few euros from anybody's bill!
Yorkshire,ENGLAND
“Expected better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

Searched out the Well of the Turk after reading reviews, looking forward to a good evening but was sadly dissapointed. Indifferent greeting from the wating staff and only given 1 menu when there were 2 of us?? Ordered a Meze to sample a variety. Food was okay but the meat items were only luke warm. Plates etc were cleared after we had finished but we not asked if we would like anything else. So far things not too bad. Paid a visit to the loo - had to squeeze in and almost climb on the seat to shut the ranch style doors - oh and could not get the flush to work so though it best to tell the staff. Informed a young waiter on the way out but he just looked at me as though I was an idiot and did not reply. Anyway went back to the table to finish drinks. Finished up and thinking about getting the bill and moving on. Well not that easy really. I tried in vain to catch one of the waiting staff for nearly 20 minutes. There seemed to be only 2 staff and the owner. One waitress seemed pre occupied entertaining children inside and the young waiter only seemed to focus on 1 table when he appeared and both seemed oblivious to the courtyard full of customers whilst the owner was busy chatting. Unfortunately frustration at trying to get some service got the better of me and I had to go inside for my bill and just wanted to pay up and leave. The lady who I think runs the place appeared and after I vented my displeasure at the lack of service she said they had been busy. Typical English excuse! Does that mean you only get good service when they are quiet? I have eaten in dozens of restaurants in Crete and always found very efficient, friendly and attentive service even in places much much busier than the Well of the Turk on our visit.
Left feeling dissapointed and vowed not to return.
I know plenty of customers have had a very enjoyable time at the Well Of the Turk.
Just some good simple customer service and warmer food would have made such a difference to our visit.

2 Thank John B