“Fab place to stay in Chania”
Review of Pension Lena

Pension Lena
Ranked #78 of 113 Chania Town B&B and Inns
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Fab place to stay in Chania”
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Found out about this delightful little place to stay through someone I met in Athens earlier in my trip. Pension Lena only has 4 rooms (although Lena herself does own a total of 6 properties in the old town). The ground floor is Venetian (and therefore about 400 years old) and the top 2 floors are Turkish (about 200 years old). I had Room 3 which, although small, had pretty much everything I needed included a really nice ensuite shower-room. The location couldn't have been better and the old town of Chania is a fantastic place to base yourself for a few days. Although only a couple of minutes' walk from the harbour area, this was really quiet and there was even wifi available. Greece is no longer a cheap holiday destination but at €30 a night for my room, I was pretty happy. Rooms 1 and 2 are bigger and therefore a bit more expensive Room 4 is the cheapest but it doesn't have an outside window) but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Pension Lena. Lena herself is very helpful, it's no problem to leave your luggage for a few hours after you've checked out and she'll order a taxi for you if you need one.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed April 2, 2011

When we arrived at the main pension, in a beautiful part of the old city, Lena offered to take us by car to one of the houses, which she would let us stay in for the same price as a room since it wasn't booked. The house was in a slightly out of the way part of town, but was lovely and charming, and still walking distance to everything. But the real reason to stay here is that Lena went very out of her way to make our stay easier. She let us leave our bags in her office when we went hiking on our last day. This was a mistake as it took much longer than we expected and we got back to Chania with only 15 minutes to make it to our ferry. We called Lena and she drove our bags from her office to the bus station. We made our ferry with just a few minutes to spare because Lena was so nice that she went out of her way to bring our things, even though we had already checked out and had no way of even paying her for her trouble.

Room Tip: Families should definitely stay in the house.
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed October 27, 2010

One of many pensions that line Theotokopoulos Street in Old Town Chania, Lena's was unusual in allowing me to book a room online ahead of time. My room had its own entrance, was clean and well furnished (with a balcony), and easily adjacent to the nightlife in Chania. Lena herself is friendly & knowledgeable, and discounted my room price when she found out I was a solo traveler.

Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank irregulargalaxies
Rijswijk
Reviewed October 27, 2010

Charming room (1) but bad isolation (noise from other rooms), no hot water in the shower (Unfortunatly!!!).

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PantagruelRijswijk
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed August 6, 2010

We stayed in House Minos, which was charming, on a quiet residential street - near a friendly neighborhood grocery. We, two couples, stayed there very comfortably.

The house is traditional and updated. The renovated bathrooms are works of art. The third floor bedroom is particularly special. You can see the sun rise lying in bed - at least in May. The balcony off that room - which looks out over the town and the harbor - had room for all of us as we talked into the evening and had coffee in the morning.

Lena is a phenomenal inn keeper - savvy, sophisticated, generous with her time and knowledge. Using her website and working with her is like working with a travel agent for that leg of your trip. On the day we arrived she made reservations for us at a really fun restaurant. Don't miss an opportunity to drive with her through the old town. ;)

We used Chania as a base to hike Samaria gorge - a great adventure - and then recovered the next day wandering around the old town. House Minos was perfect. Thank you Lena!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SarahandJim_10
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 26, 2010

Economical cute place! I stayed at Pension Lena about one year ago, last July. I had wanted to write a review but never did until now. I was scheduled to arrive on a Saturday last July. However, my ferry from Santorini had been cancelled, causing a major kink in my travel plans. I needed to catch the earlier ferry so that I could then catch the last bus from Herakulion to Chania. There were several of us backpackers stranded in Herakulion and we found a real dirty hostel to stay in for the night. I left a message for Lena about 2:00 a.m. telling her of my situation and that I would be arriving the next day. When I finally did get there she greeted me with a friendly hello and offered me a cold soda, which I gladly accepted. Since I was a whole day late she didn't know if she should expect me or not, so she just needed a little time to get my room ready. So I ate a yummy Greek salad at a nearby eatery. And a cold beer. Half-way through my lunch she stopped in and spoke with the restaurant owner, and I waved to her. She could see I had been frustrated by my recent travels and stopped to pay the restaurant owner for my beer. I know she can't do this for everyone, and I certainly hadn't expected it, but what a nice gesture! That is the kind of person Lena is! She'll call a cab for you, give you ideas and directions, and is very helpful. I had a backpacker friend meet me in Chania a few days later and she even let me switch to a double room with my friend. Then, when we settled our bill, she even did NOT charge me for that first night that I had missed, even though she could have easily charged me! I would stay at Pension Lena again!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
New York City
Reviewed June 7, 2010

After several days of zigzagging up and down Crete, I capped off my vacation in Crete’s most picturesque big city – Chania.

There nestled in a quiet alley in the Turkish quarter I found Lena’s Pension. It’s in a prime location; near the most authentic restaurants and souvenir shops, five minutes from Chania’s only free parking lot, and a ten minute walk to the beach.

Lena herself is a delight - friendly, helpful, sociable. The pension is cozy. Decorated with antiques and bric-a-brac from around town, it feels more like a B&B. Need a place to secure valuables? There’s a safe in your room. Need clean clothes? Lena offers laundry service for a nominal fee. Hungry for a snack or light breakfast? Grab an orange from the bowl at the reception desk and Lena graciously serves coffee or tea at no extra charge.

When I arrived in Chania I was exhausted, but I left well rested and full of cheer. Lena’s Pension is a great value; a hidden gem in Chania.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo