“Authentic Cretan food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of To Chani Restaurant

To Chani Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 403 Restaurants in Chania Town
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: A family run restaurant since 1989 with a passion for high quality food and caring service. Traditional Greek and Cretan local cuisine, including century- old dishes of Turkish and Jewish influence on Cretan food. Specialties are cooked in ceramic pots on a wood -burning stove. We use only local and fresh ingredients .We have a large selection of gluten -free dishes and gluten- free bread. Situated in a romantic and quiet, graphic small lane in the heart of the old Venetian Port . Outdoor seating, Ideal for special occasions. Very suitable for families with children. Live Greek music in the evening. Closed during the winter months.
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Authentic Cretan food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

The rabbit stifado is very good, as is the lamb with yogurt. This little restaurant, tucked in a small street across from the synagogue, is charming.

Visited September 2012
margie p, Owner at To Chani Restaurant, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you very much. The lamb with yogurt is a century-old Turkish-Cretan dish .

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
New York, New York, United States
“Unforgettably delicious restaurant with REAL SOUL!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Once in a great while you find yourself in a restaurant that, with it's culinary depth, creative handling of local ingredients, and their exceptionally kind and attentive service, transcends the typical "dinner" experience. To Xani was just such a treasure. Tucked away in a gorgeous space, with live music and a brilliantly attentive staff (they remembered every dish we ordered from 5 nights before) and so much more that my husband and I came back four times despite having a lengthy "MUST GO" list for Chania that we compiled back in New York. We are lucky to have some of the best chefs and most inventive restaurants at our beck and call, so we are not often blown away by food when we travel. To Xani kind of surprised is as we did not expect to eat such exceptional fare in Greece.

Here are my personal favorites and for which I would easily drive miles and miles in the rain to eat again :)
The lamb and yogurt sauce was rich, creamy and just stunning in it's flavor. The chicken and prunes which proved to be equally mind blowing is silky, deep, and completely rustic in the best way imaginable! The wild fennel pie is not no be missed. I'm not kidding, we are still talking about how to replicate it here in NY. The Rabbit Stifado was tender, not a hint of gaminess, and so amazing we ordered it twice. The beautiful food coupled with lovely music, warm and attentive family style service makes puts To Xani in a league all their own.

A million thanks to the Xani family for tacking such special care of us! We will surely return again and again and again :)

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for the review. I am left speechless. I can only say the we are always grateful and humbled when are guests are so very satisfied and return again and again and again......(. By the way, my daughter and my waiter do remember very often what customers have eaten on previous days.!)
New York City, New York
“No better places to go!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Me and my wife are from NY and pretty much have a good dining experience...we went to To Xani because of the reviews and felt in love with this place!
We've been there 4 or 5 times because couldn't find a better place in Chania, the food is to die for, the service extremely attentive, and lovely, the location is sweet and the musicians play very well (I'm musician myself).
This is a traditional Cretan Cuisine restaurant not a seafood taverna so if you have an urge for octopus (clearly stated as frozen) go somewhere else and by BTW fresh octopus is not an easy item to find even in a seafood taverna.
Being Italian and a foodie myself I can tell you that these people really know how to cook as we had tried almost every dish in the menu, the owner's daughter and the owner himself took exceptionally good care of us as they really remember their clients and gave us always suggestions for what to choose and you can tell how much love and pride they put on what they're doing!
It's true that every now and then, they come at the table to check if everything is ok, so when I read about people unhappy it just makes no sense to me as you really have no chance to be unhappy!
I'm very grateful to these people for introducing us to the traditional cretan cuisine and for being very much an highlight of our vacation, THANKS SO MUCH!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
margie p, Owner at To Chani Restaurant, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Thanks so very much!!! It is a great idea that you include a photo of yourselves as now we know exactly who you are! We do try our best, yes. As for some unhappy customers, it is true that sometimes something might go wrong. We are not perfect. Also, , sometimes there are customers who are very very hard to satisfy. Such is life. Regards from my husband and daughter and all To Xani staff.
Penrith, United Kingdom
“Very, very good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Ate here as a treat on last night of holidays. As most in the fine weather we sat outside in the courtyard area on another fine, warm evening. The atmosphere was great, busy but not crowded, the live music by two locals playing guitar and bazouki (traditional Cretan tunes) excellent. The service was pretty prompt, and our starter of a Cretan salad, followed by a chestnut dish and also a local Cretan baked aubergine dish tasty and filling. Heartily recommended!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for the good words, and I appreciate you finding the time to write a review.
Basingstoke, UK
“Average food and adequate service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

We ate in Xani on a Saturday night and it was very busy. The owner was very welcoming but the rest of the staff appeared to be under pressure and were not very attentive. We ordered Cretan dishes and the food was OK - my lamb dish contained too much gristle for my liking. The house wine was very good.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank RamblingJohn
margie p, Owner at To Chani Restaurant, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
When many people come at the same time, the staff do get a little pressured---this is natural.I am sure you were looked after, i am sure the owner, my husband, came at least once to your table to ask if all was satisfactory. thanks for the review