“NomNomNom”

Portes
Ranked #13 of 419 Restaurants in Chania Town
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Description: This is a small family owned restaurant which has operated in the Old Harbour of Hania since 2004.We have recently moved to our new premises on the water front on Nea Hora Beach with ample seating along the beautiful harbour there.As you approach the restaurant you can't help but notice our charming decor featuring old doors as the name "PORTES" means doors.The Irish owner/chef offers her customers a blend of trend and tradition with her unique recipes catering for all tastes including local,greek,mediterranean,seafood,vegetarian and vegan options.All ingredients are fresh,seasonal,local and bought daily.Recipes are designed depending on the season and availability therefore be sure to checkout the blackboard displaying new dishes and daily specials.Here at"Portes" we open our doors each day to welcome our customers.
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“NomNomNom”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Tasty food, this is one of those backstreet tavernas away from the harbour that is worth hunting down. I had a 'chicken leg' (basically half a chicken) slow baked with feta and other things, it was really good served with excellent chips. My boyfriend had a kebab dish, which looked small but was very filling - he had trouble finishing it (and that is a big deal with him!)

As in most greek tavernas, they gave us a small complimentary dessert, better than anything available on the menu.

Visited July 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
“Get away from the harbor and find Portes”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I were in Chania for three days and went to Portes based on recommendations and had one of our best meals in Greece there. First, it was just nice to get a quiet dinner away from the harbor. We tried a couple of places there and the only one that I would recommend was the Amphora. Portes is a couple of blocks off the harbor and was definitely a nice change from the crowds and touts. Also, the food and drink were superb. The marinated anchovies appetizer was outstanding. My wife had the roasted fish and it was great. My lamb dish was also memorable. We'll definitely go back to Portes next time we're in Chania.

• Visited July 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely, atmospheric restaurant, loads of vegetarian choices”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We had lots of small starters. My favourite were the stewed oyster mushrooms and the stuffed vine leaves. They do a very nice sweet red wine sauce with the mushrooms unlike anything I've ever had before. Worth a visit. However, Tamam is still my favourite Chania restaurant!

• Visited June 2013
Wiesbaden, Germany
“Does well for it's unique location...”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Didn't have too much difficulty finding this place using the TripAdvisor map. Meals were pretty good. I think what struck me most about the restaurant, was it's location. It's situated on a narrow walkway. Along the wall, they've placed old doors along their portion of the eating area, which explains the restaurant name. Pretty unique way to turn an otherwise unusual location to something nice. I had the chicken risotto, which was good/standard. My wife had the Portes chicken--which was very good. She had the better meal. The fries were great and it was a filling meal. After a week of staying in Crete, most every restaurant, when you call for the check will give you some sort of fruit plate and a small bottle of their Raki to mull over the bill. I think this is a nice touch with majority of the restaurants we visited in Crete.

Visited June 2013
Eastbourne
“Loved it”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Went at 7pm as can get busy. Research done on TA made this a firm choice for us. Always make appoint of eating in the back streets away from harbour. At 8 pm people were waiting for tables as they knew the food was good. Liked the Middle East fusion,particularly the salads. Will be back later in the year.

Visited June 2013