All reviews beautiful hotel swing chair honeymoon suite third floor central location continental breakfast view from the balcony double room small hotel booked this hotel room service angela steps sea crete furnishings fridge
Selected filters
Reviewed April 19, 2019 via mobile

Spent 10 days over Easter.

Great location you have everything you need within walking cafes restaurants harbour beaches nice walks gift shops etc.

The views are lovely of the lakes.

Do take advantage of the breakfasts delivered to your room at a time of your choice it is lovely tea coffee pastries orange juice eggs etc..

Very clean - clean towels every day tea coffee kettle fridge in room we even had a four poster bed.

Wet room is good but be careful coming out I slipped just outside the bathroom .

Angela is very helpful thank you .

Sadly we did have some rain but in hotter weather the courtyard is very pretty. Their are some works going on but only from 10am to around 4pm when you are out and about anyway. Very discreet and nothing ugly to see.

Every one in the cafes shops etc are very friendly. Meals around €30 for 2.

Spinagalonga trip good. Jeep safari day very good.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2019

I decided to treat myself with a proper retreat after a harsh winter up north and eventually ended up in Agios Nikolaos. Off season, less tourists, relaxation and good food. The plan was not to have any plans except rebooting my head. Success was huge and a big thank you for that goes to Porto Maltese.

It wasn't my first time on the Aegean archipelago but the first time on the island of Crete. Such a beauty and a versatile haven it is I cannot think of nothing else but going back some time soon. Excellently suitable and the right accommodation for your personal needs can be tricky to find at times. Luckily Porto Maltese was recommended to me by a good friend of mine so I had quite demanding expectations. All were met. Unequivocally.

First of all the place itself is a true beauty of a building and I saw people coming take pictures from the hotel's lovely indoor terrace even though they weren't staying there. When you climb the few stairs to Porto Maltese you don't feel you're in a regular hotel. Those you can find anywhere but this place has its special character and spirit. Seemingly a lot of accommodation available in a town like this but I reckon not so many places can guarantee such an exceptionally welcoming experience with the most tremendous service.

The warm and relaxed atmosphere was something I was definitely looking for and I was very pleased to have found such a gem. A place for relaxation. More than suitable and spiffing choice for many different segments whether you travel alone or with a group of friends.

Stayed in the so called porto double room which possessed plentiful quality and gorgeous details. Cozy bed, good pillows, vital and quiet A/C and a very good bathroom made my day every day. Big plus was that the water was hot and it had real pressure in it. These type of things I've missed in some of much more expensive places during my +30 years of traveling.

Talking about something being missing, before landing to Crete I had a stopover and stayed one night in Athens at a 5-star hotel attached to the airport. They didn't have an iron in the room. Porto Maltese does and it was cool to put the best shirt on and have a nice fish in the near about restaurant on the sacred lake. Quality doesn't always come with the star based ranking system. I myself rank Porto Maltese much higher than the traditional system does. I have to emphasize that the cleanliness of the room (and the hotel premises in general) was of superb kind and the decor was absolutely swell too. Given the fact that the price for the room wasn't of the highest kind it was truly good value for the money. I traveled just before the high season begins and during that time it was very splendid and the streets next to it very quiet too. Just the way I like it.

The view from my window was to the sea and to the near by lake. A bit further you get to see the mountains too so it was more than nice to wake up to that scenery and having the breakfast which also was above the standard that you usually expect to receive in most Mediterranean mid-range priced places that offer accommodation. Location wise we're talking about perfection if you're looking for a very central location close to public transport, restaurants, shops and the boats that operate to the other towns and islands.

Everything you need is basically within a short walking distance which is a nice plus after a long trekking day in the mountains or whatever the case may be. When thinking about Agios Nikolaos itself as a destination it has its epoch-making advantages. For me it was perfect as I like to dig deep into the culture and experience different kinds of things. I made day trips to Kalo Horio, Kritsa, Ierapetra and Elounda to name a few. On an island the size of this all of the mentioned towns are quite close to Agios Nikolaos.

Last but not least the staff that deserves a very special thank you. Need to book something, look for something, rent a vehicle, get some local professional tips etc. to make your precious vacation the best possible the Porto Maltese staff will deliver. Flexible isn't a good enough adjective to describe the people of the house. They surely know how to be of assistance and were always genuinely helpful. Couldn't ask for more.

In each and every hotel and hostel it's the employees that make the place. You really can sense if things aren't right and in this place you feel the difference in the most positive sense. Porto Maltese's standard in the given service can be described as the backbone of the splendid concept that they have.

Undoubtedly I shall return to this former villa of artists if the upcoming summer gives nothing but rain in the northern hemisphere. Truth be told, I probably go back no matter what.

Room tip: The higher the room the better the view
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
3  Thank TuomasH222
Reviewed April 1, 2019 via mobile

The host, Angela, was as helpful as she was welcoming. We had lovely room upgrades with views of the sea, fresh in-room breakfasts and assistance planning our next location. The rooms were large and comfortable. And the personal touches made a wonderful impression.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed March 21, 2019 via mobile

Beautiful hotel, very large and charming room with a balcony overlooking the bay. Excellent receptionists. A nice preset continental breakfast can be ordered for room service. The only problem is the street noise late at night when the bars clise and early morning with the scooters and trucks that drive by.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2018

Great location for what we wanted. In the centre, but hidden away. I guess it maybe could be a bit noisy in the summer, but for our stay it was fine. The staff are fantastic and really make the place.
Worth noting there is also car parking, at the public car park, just beyond the Tour boats. This is free and handily located (about 200m from the hotel).
Would recommend and would use again for sure.

Date of stay: October 2018