“Perfect holiday”

Miramare Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 95 Hotels in Agios Nikolaos
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We previously booked this holiday for early in the year, but due to an accident had to cancel 3days before. The hotel rebooked us at a date of our choosing for a very minimal charge. Our room was perfect and just what we hoped for. Being all-inclusive we ate at the hotel every day finding the lunch time selection better than the evening. At all meal times there was something to fancy and enjoy as my expanding waistline showed. All staff were friendly and helpful with particular thanks to Klio for her sunny and happy nature and to Yiannis who arranged a late check out time for our room.(My husband is disabled and so this was greatly appreciated) It is obvious that the types of accommodation varied quite considerably but the superior rooms cannot be bettered and we shall return to this hotel again - something we have never done before, usually preferring something different.

Room Tip: Sea front if possible
5  Thank foodfreaksfromKent
miramare1, Guest Relations Manager at Miramare Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank for taking the time to post such a wonderful review of your stay at the Miramare Resort. I am extremely happy to read that you found our staff helpful, you enjoyed the food and was pleased with your accommodation.
It was a pleasure having you with us and we look forward to your next visit.
Best Wishes for a Merry Christmas

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We were moved here from a sister hotel at the end of season as it was closing down. The hotel is large and set over a large area just out side ag nic 10min walk from the square 15 min from the lagoon.
The hotel has 3 outdoor swimming pools and one indoor.
Our board basis was all inclusive.
The breakfast, lunch and evening meals were predictable standard euro fare served in buffet style. The food was ok but nothing to write home about. The snacks however let it down a tad, you wont get a burger here. The wine was drinkable as was the beer but the beer was a shade on the week side. Tip the beer you get in the canteen is the real deal.
Our room, 219 was fantastic. Light, Large big bed large LCD telly fridge and good working air con. The outside space two seats and a table, two sun loungers and your own mini infinity pool. The view from the room is an uninterupted view of the bay.
Absolutly no complaints. This room is 4min walk to the bar via a lift. (its not in the same block as the main hotel.
Staff in the hotel were perfect could not do enough for you, top marks.

The only downside is that because its outside the hub you don't get the vibe of ag nic at your doorstep, the plus of that is that it is quite. Your call!

Room Tip: the new block in front of the main hotel. ask for one with a pool. The ones at the back of the hotel...
10  Thank Bjorn_Toulose
miramare1, Guest Relations Manager at Miramare Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting such a nice review following your visit to the Miramare Resort. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff helpful. I have passed on your kind comments to all of our team .
I do hope we will have the chance to welcome you back on a future visit.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I have never stayed half board before but as we found a good deal we decided to give it a go. On first arrival we were given a small room underneath the nightly disco which we asked to change and were given a much bigger, nicer room with a proper shower rather than a curtained-off corner in the bathroom. Both rooms had balconies with incredible sea views. It's about a 10-15 minute walk into town, past a small cove and some residential properties. The hotel is up a hill so it's worth bearing that in mind for any walking difficulties.

The food was good quality and you couldn't ask for more options at breakfast with anything from different breads, cereals, lovely fresh fruit, bacon and eggs, Greek yoghurt, waffles, pancakes etc. Dinner was a little more tricky as there were plenty of dishes but many had not been labelled, making it difficult to ascertain which were suitable for vegetarians. Meat eaters had plenty of choice with several dishes to choose from. We decided to swap our dinners for lunches to enjoy eating out in the evenings. Other than coffee at breakfast there were no drinks included, even a bottle of water was €3. However wine was not expensive at €2.50 a glass. I found the scrum with other guests at the buffets a bit tiresome but I can imagine it's like that at any hotel with a buffet system and the number of people varied. The staff swipe plates very quickly and I sometimes stayed to guard them if my boyfriend went to get something else, but I imagine it's to keep the place efficient. The dining hall is large and clean with panoramic views over the ocean and over towards Agios Nikolaos and the staff were all very nice.

There were three pools to choose from, although only the hardy would attempt the ice-cold water in October. I enjoyed reading by the poolside and the view of pool and endless sea and sky ahead.

Wifi was not included and the charge was €5 an hour which I thought was pretty ridiculous as I've stayed at much more basic hotels where it's always been free for guests.

Overall I would recommend the hotel. The entrance is quite grand and reception staff helpful, and the rooms (going from the second room we stayed in) were a decent 3* standard, with 5* views. It had a great combination of 'get away from it all' and proximity to town with a good standard of accommodation and food.

5  Thank AngelfishEngland
miramare1, Guest Relations Manager at Miramare Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, found the reception staff helpful and the food and accommodation of good standard.
I apperciate your comments regarding the unlabelled dishes during dinner and the Wi-Fi charge which I have mad a note of for future reference

We are looking forward welcoming you to Miramare on a future visit and we thank you for recommending our resort to the fellow travellers.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We arrived at the Miramare !st October having booked a luxury bungalow which we believed had its own pool. When taken to our accommodation it was not a bungalow, did not have its own pool and was not luxury. It was a basic room with a small bathroom (809). We immediately returned to reception to sort out the misunderstanding where we encountered Yiannis, the rudest, most unhelpful and aggressive receptionist. He told us that was a luxury room and if we wanted to change we would have to pay another 224 Euros. We paid this reluctantly for a slightly larger room (317) but still no pool. We awoke early next morning to the sound of coaches and delivery vehicles passing within a few feet of our window. We phoned Olympic and we were moved again, this time to a room with a pool, which Yiannis had told us wasn't available. This hotel has many different standards of room from quite basic, which was sold to us as a luxury bungalow, to deluxe rooms which looked very nice. Make sure everything you think you are booking is itemised on your paperwork or you might be disappointed. The hotel is okay in general but not luxury, it has good views, about 20 minute walk to the lake, 5 Euro taxi ride. The bar lacks atmosphere, the food was good. Other staff here have been great, especially the Maitre d'hotel and his staff in the restaurant. They are the Greek people we have come to love over the last 30 years of visiting the Greek Islands. Yiannis is a disgrace to the hotel.

Room Tip: Have everything you want itemised on your paperwork
7  Thank Rod H

Dear Guest,

I appreciate the time taken to post your feedback from your stay at the Miramare resort.
Whilst I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the food and found our staff at the restaurant helpful , it is deeply regrettable to learn that your stay with us did not meet all your expectations. We take all our guests feedback very seriously, and I was disheartened to learn that you were disappointed with our Front desk staff.
Although I totally understand your frustration regarding your accommodation, may I kindly note that you were originally accommodated in a room type according to the reservation we received from your Tour Operator. After your request for an upgrade to a DeLuxe room the supplement was charged, which was later refunded to you, as our aim is to achieve in satisfying all of our guests and provide them with the best possible services.
I apologize for any inconvenience caused and I hope this will not deter you from visiting us in the future as we would be honored to serve you again.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

The main plus of this hotel is it's beautiful location, set on the hillside at the southern end of Agios Nikolaos. There are several apartments around the site as well as the hotel itself. The deluxe rooms are spacious, clean and pretty reasonable. You get one complimentary bottle of water on your first day only. There is a small fridge, and a safe which has to be paid for. Internet is free for deluxe room customers but this is not advertised as such. Ask at reception and you will be given a username and password for use of this facility. Air con is available and works as long as the doors are shut. There is a good sized balcony with a table and two chairs. It's good to chill out there with a glass of something, looking at the wonderful views of Mirabella Bay. People booking a ground floor apartment get a private pool. The mattresses are OK but the foam pillows are hard and lumpy. The canteen (I use the word advisedly ) food was a let down for us. There was plenty of it although we often had to ask for things to be replenished. The quality of the food did not match the quantity. We had a lovely waitress called Cleo. However the remaining waiters seemed to be on a bonus scheme to clear up quickly as we had our tables cleared whilst we were getting other courses on several occasions. The first night, they even took away our unfinished glasses of wine. Shock, horror!! We went into town on the last night and got some proper greek cuisine which was a real treat. Taxis into Agios cost a straight five euros each trip, whatever part of town you go to. You could walk into town and back, but the cost of taxis needs to be factored in to your holiday costs if you are unable to walk far or manage the climb back up the hill. The hotel site requires that you walk up and down steps / ramps repeatedly, looking for the pools, spa, etc. The hotel map of the site is a bit confusing. The pools are not heated, so not many people were using them by October. The spa pool is complementary to deluxe customers, but the spa area is extra. The spa area is basic and treatments are not particularly cheap. However you can have an hour in the steam room / sauna for only five euros (ten euros for all day) which is good value. Health and safety doesn't figure in the spa, with non fixed chairs in the steam room, water everywhere. We slipped all over the place in the disposable footwear given to us. The sauna went on the blink so we couldn't use that. The staff were absent most of the time and you have to fend for yourself a bit. There are areas around the hotel site which have steep drops and no rails to protect you from them. I was travelling with a registered blind person so we had to be very careful walking around. That said, the hotel staff were very good in that they provided transport for us around the site if we asked them to, at no extra cost. They hold a folklore evening around the main pool once a week, and we went, not expecting great shakes, but the food was much better here (for a supplement depending on what board status you are on). The usual greek dancing and singing takes place in a very limited space. They do pick on people to stand up and participate so be warned! The obligatory tot of raki is best taken in one gulp with the nose firmly pinched (unless you like the stuff...!) We were entertained by it all. The hotel site is kept clean, and I only saw one (squashed) cockroach on our last day. Agios Nikolaos is to the east of Crete. From there I would recommend trips to Spinalonga to see the old leper colony base, a trip to Kritsa, a village in the mountains nearby (although we renamed it Fleeceya as the old ladies in the little shops drive a hard bargain), and Lato, which are ruins of an ancient Minoan site further up from Kritsa (look out for eagles in mountainous areas). Don't bother with the glass bottomed boat looking for fishes, there is nothing very much to see. You can sit on a shingled beach with your feet in the water, watching tiny fishes swimming around your feet for free. Visit the 'bottomless lake', take a freddochino, and visit Alexandros for your cocktails (suberb amount to choose from) If you want to go further afield, take a local bus to Heracleon although don't expect a lot of department stores. There is a venetian fortress there which is worth a look. Knossos is well worth a visit (more Minoan history). Because of the quality of the food, and the lack of details such as daily supplies of water, safe costing extra, etc, I would only give the hotel a three star rating, but overall not bad for the money.

Room Tip: Lower floor apartments have a small private pool
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank Davydiva

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us at the Miramare resort.
Although I was delighted that you enjoyed the magnificent views, I was really sorry to read that the food at our restaurant was not to your liking and the Spa services did not meet your expectations .It is great to learn from each of our guests experiences and we highly appreciate your remarks we need to focus on improving.
Once again thank you for taking time to review Miramare resort and I am sorry that you did not find your experiences as enjoyable as other reviewers have.

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Amazing hotel and cousine.The biggest advantage is breathtaking view to sea and mountains directly from rooms.The rooms are clean but very simple and with old furniture not adequate 4 stars hotel.All staff friendly and nice. Great cats!

Stayed: October 2013

Dear Guest,

I thank you for your feedback. It is great to know that you were pleased with your stay at our resort.
We love to indulge all of our guests and I am delighted to read that we have fulfilled your expectations in terms of services, accommodation and location.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Miramare resort for another perfect holiday.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We had wonderful holidays in Miramare. All ! the staff was very professional, friendly, helpful (especially the always smiling and cheerful Marilena) and so we decided already to return next year.
Heli and Dieter, Finland

P.S. The music in the restaurant was in the morning (breakfast) sometimes a bit monotonous.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank heli and dieter s

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff professional and helpful.
I have passed your kind words to everyone and we are looking forward welcoming you back on a future visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Agios Nikolaos
Lyttos Beach Hotel
Lyttos Beach Hotel
#9 of 173 in Hersonissos
St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas

Been to Miramare Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!