“hotel lito great views great food friendly staff”
Review of Lito Hotel

Lito Hotel
Ranked #69 of 94 Hotels in Agios Nikolaos
uk
“hotel lito great views great food friendly staff”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

1 week holiday with our son 7th june 2012 all incl at the lito hotel
i stayed here in th 1980s when it was just built.
i will start of with the not so good. not a lot has changed inside so what was classy in the 80s is a little jaded now but all is still clean, also the staff are now dressed casually so this takes a bit of shine from what is still a nice classy hotel all be it a little dated
the 15 to 20 min walk to town. witch was no problem for us with a buggy and was very enjoyable for the most, apart from the foot path along the road was over grown and needed pruning back we had to keep on going on the road witch is very dangerous there. with some sheers i could do it my self in half an hour
now onto the good points
the chef was great, to be quite honest i was not expecting much quality to the food from such a small hotel, the chef was fantastic he got almost every thing spot on witch takes great effort. the food will only be enjoyed by the people who like to try something different, witch is what i always want abroad. but i do understand that a lot of brits want brit food away from home but your not going to get it here
the staff are fantastic one example we came home from a night on the town and our son woke up and was saying he was hungry my wife being cheeky ask one of the staff for something for him and she smiled and said no problem, and prepared him a midnight snack
and to be honest all the staff were just as helpful witch made our holiday very special,
the garden and pool, together with the views and quality out door furnishings made it a great place to chill with a drink, and our son just loved the pool
the bar with a help your self bar and icy cold glasses from the freezer and lovely cold beer,
plus fizzy drinks and tee or coffee 24 hours.
The sand and stone beach at the bottom of the hotel has some of the best snorkling in agios
we were a little worried about going to the lito with our child, as we though it may have been a bit of an anti children hotel, and this was not the case our son absolutely loved it and had one of the best holidays ever
we also made some great friends who also made our holiday very special who we will defiantly keep in touch with
over all we had a great time and we defiantly want to go back next year
a big thank you to all the staff and the very hard working chef and the coach driver for the free lift back from town when ever he was passing

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THE STAFF AND THE HARD WORKING CHEF

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank deb b

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Can't say anything else!
We wanted to rest and relax after a really busy year. And this hotel was just what we needed. Without small crying children, without very old visitors complaining about late evening "entertainment" in bar. This hotel isn't really suitable for small children or disabled people, way back from the beach is the less pleasant moment from all the holiday (ha,ha).
Small rooms, small shower, the food practicaly still the same? Yes, but for this price?? It's just sufficient for us. We were there for the sun, the sea and very old history, not for sitting in bar all day long.
The pleasant and helpful staff, cleanness, daily new towels... The only reproach concerns to the drinks in bar: there in no ice-cube in the hotel! All drinks are warm, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic and in Crete it's quite bad.
Conclusion: hearty thanks to Anna (the boss), Izmir and others. Why not to come again?
(Sorry for the pure quality of photos.)
Jirka, 16.9.2011

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Anglesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2011

stayed here august 2008 fantasic hotel, but if you are less able or elderly there is quite a climb up to the hotel and a few steps, food and staff were fantasic, another point i should point ot it is aprox 30 - 45 min walk in to agios nikolaos , there is a nice enough beach more or less straight accross the road buses can be caught at the bottom of the hill, spingalonga leper colony well worth a visit as is elounda just up the coast . would recommend the hotel and area to anyone

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jonsi1962
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2011

lito was friendly place to stay you need transport to get about food was always cold but would of been good if hot bar was poor watered down beer and wine had to go to town for a good night out as ther was nothing going on at night bar close at 11pm but we met a good crowd

Room Tip: up a steep hill no good for elderly or ill health
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank puppyjack
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Before visiting the Lito Hotel I read the various reviews. Having said that, I've done the same when visiting other places, and, frankly, take much of what I see with a generous pinch of salt, good and bad. Based on that, I'll try to give an honest opinion of my experience (which you are welcome to ignore!)

Where to start? Well, the hill gets a few mentions, so let's get that out of the way. It is, without doubt, pretty steep, and I have something of a walking problem. Of course I was a tad worried about this, but I can report that I managed it a number of times, admittedly taking it in stages. A visitor to the Hotel, young and fit, struggled a bit, but she was pushing a baby's buggy complete with baby! All I can say is, if you're fit, it's not a problem; if like me you have moderate walking problems, you should still be able to manage. The new lift is welcome, saving the last bit of walking, up the steps.

Food - varied. Always fish, and pork, veal, rabbit, chicken are regulars. (OK, I'm not a veggie!) Plenty of salad, chips, even burgers once, and fruit. As has already been mentioned, the meals are at set times, but these times allow for a certain amount of flexibility. Afternoon tea, coffee and cakes.

Accommodation - yes, it's pretty basic, but sufficient for our humble needs, which were equally basic: somewhere to shower and sleep. Very clean, though, and linen/towels changed daily. I didn't use the TV. Our room was at the back, ideal for afternoon sun and not at all a bad view.

Staff - like most places I've visited, getting to know the people is helpful, and the small amount of effort entailed pays dividends. Maria, Angela and, of course, George, were most helpful and friendly. One of the young ladies treated my wife's infected foot, which was really kind. Bearing in mind it was quite early in the season, I'm guessing that, when it gets really busy, there may be more staff employed, but for us it meant a short wait to get a drink, or attended to at reception. Not a problem for us - we're used to Spain! "Two minutes!"

Bar - I have nothing much to add. The All Inc isn't what may be expected, based on some other places, but was more than adequate for this confirmed beer drinker. Mind you, I had a glass or two of the red wine, which was perfectly drinkable. Too good to put on chips, anyway.

Overall - I liked this Hotel. I've stayed in "posher" places and felt very uncomfortable; here, I just felt relaxed. I suppose it boils down to what suits. The Lito doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is - small and friendly.

That's it, then. Would I go back? Honestly, I would!

Room Tip: Front of hotel for a good view over Mirabello Bay
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Pedro105
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2011

looking through the photpgraphs, this looks like the perfect place, well it is not! This was our first time going to Greece and we were not dissapointed by the country, however we were dissapointed by the Hotel.....after travelling 16 hours to get to Crete and not arriving until 5am we were all looking forward to getting a couple of hours sleep before we set off to see the beautiful city of Agios Nikolas.. well we would have been better sleeping on the floor, the bests were so hard our bones acctually were sore, waking up for breakfast the next morning we were starving, only to find out that they dont really cater for the english more the eastern european, although they may be happy to share their food with the flies, we were not, our friend got food poisioning on the FIRST day!!! from that we ate out at all times, costing us a fortune, all inclusive in Greece is not the same as Spain (as we found out to our detrement) you have 3 main meals no snacks and drinks are their own, Rakki, Ouzo and brandy and amstrel beer, and of course lemonade! there was no entertainment at all, which meant you had to go out at nights or stay out if you were heading out to get something to eat!. I have to say that the views from the hotel were breathtaking and so was the hill you had to climb up to get to the hotel. I wouldnt recommend this hotel to a family with small children as there is absolutley nothing for them to do or eat, no ice cream or lollies for small children. dont be fooled by the photographs, they show a bar inside the hote well it aint there any more, the hotel is spotless but in much need of a refurbishment, was not worth the money we paid... this is the first time i have ever wrote a review and i dont like doing this, but others must be warned, unless your from Russia, Ukraine etc, you would enjoy this hotel as the food is especially catered for them!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Magsmcc32011

Travelers are raving about these Agios Nikolaos hotels

Bucks, England
Reviewed June 13, 2011

If you are just browsing through the reviews, there are a couple of things to be aware of.

1. The hotel's up a blinking steep hill and even though they now have a lift, there are a few steps to negotiate. While, strictly speaking, you wouldn't have to climb any steps, I wouldn't recommend this hotel for wheelchair users.

2. You are a fair distance from town. 30mins for a brisk walker, more likely an gentle 45 minute stroll into Agios.

3. The all inclusive menus are available at specific times only. In the afternoon there are biscuits but don't expect food throughout the day. The all-inclusive drinks are available 10am-11pm and are frothy halves of lager and local wines and spirits. Don't moan, it's all-inclusive.

OK if you are aware of those factors and don't believe them to be an issue, then you should really enjoy your time here. I'll tell you why:

The transfer from Heraklion really depends on how many drop-off you have. I booked everything separately and I wasn't sure about the transfer so I posted a thread on the tripadvisor forum. Someone recommended resorthoppa and what a fantastic recommendation it was, I paid £24 for a return transfer to the hotel and when I arrived, since I was the only traveller, the transfer company arranged a taxi. I got to the Lito in 45mins but on a coach, you are probably looking at 1hr10 depending on whether you are the last person dropped off, which I always seem to be. One of those faces, I expect.

When I arrived, I was welcomed by George. He showed me my room and, well, the rooms are pretty basic to say the least. I was already concerned I'd be writing a 2 star review on the back of the room alone. They were, however clean as a whistle and there was a nice big fridge. There are no safes in the room and are located opposite the reception desk at the cost of 1€ per day. The bathroom was clean but very small. Basically a shower room with a loo in it. The shower was old and had one of those curtains which sticks to you and does it's best to prevent you from washing yourself by wrapping itself around you. Oh yeah, you aren't supposed to flush loo roll away. Hmm.
Anyway, I was lucky to have a nice view of the sea from my room, and the balcony is nice and big but there isn't much separating from you and your neighbours.

So After unpacking, I had sort of got used to the basic surrounding and made my way to the bar area. You will find that there is one member of staff running both the reception and the bar amongst other things, so you won't get immediate service but that's no problem for me. Wait a few moments and someone will show up. It's only a small outdoor bar with local drinks available on the all-inc deal. You can splash out on other 'brand name' bevvies but being tight, I didn’t.. And why would you? (Apart from the wine, that was a bit... I want to say vinegary, not sure that's a word).

I didn't have an issue with the climb up to the hotel and as I mentioned, there is now a lift which takes you up to reception. The benefit of being up this high, is the view. I don't want too sell it too hard but it was astonishing. It was practically a 360 degree panoramic marvel, looking up to the mountains, over the coast and down onto Agios Nikolaos. The pool area is small and you may have to get in early for your favourite sun bed but I'm not a sun-worshipper, so I was happy on one of the seats nearer the bar area.

The food was fairly basic but very nice. It's all buffet style but cooked very well. I really enjoyed it and certainly got my money's worth each meal time. Lots of meats and salads and what have you. I don't really know what else to say. If you are used to gourmet restaraunting, then hard luck. I guess you wouldn't be staying here, if you were. If you love a good bit of tucker, then you are in.

The service was very relaxed but very friendly. The week I stayed, we had George, Angela and Maria looking after us, all of whom were outstanding in terms of friendly service, conversation, help with the area and queries during the stay. I can't thank those guys enough for making my stay very pleasant and it's what bumped this rating up to a 4 star (circle?). These guys aren't over the top and you will only really find out how excellent they are if you make the effort to have a chat with them.

Finally, the town. As I mentioned, a 45min walk on average. Taxi will cost you 6/7€ The port of Agios is fantastic. Sadly I didn't make it in the evening but I did a few shopping trips during the day. It's nothing like the tacky run-down tourist ports you may find on other islands or the Canaries or Spain. You don't get hassled or harangued. It's a beautiful port and having a morning Greek coffee overlooking the lake is pretty much as good as it gets. There are a few decent municipal beaches on the way into town, too.

Overall, A great stay. Beautiful views, fantastic relaxation and grand service. Basic rooms prevents a perfect score.

Room Tip: All rooms have nice views, if you can get one ove.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo