“Honestly? I'd come back”
Review of Lito Hotel

Lito Hotel
Ranked #70 of 95 Hotels in Agios Nikolaos
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Before visiting the Lito Hotel I read the various reviews. Having said that, I've done the same when visiting other places, and, frankly, take much of what I see with a generous pinch of salt, good and bad. Based on that, I'll try to give an honest opinion of my experience (which you are welcome to ignore!)

Where to start? Well, the hill gets a few mentions, so let's get that out of the way. It is, without doubt, pretty steep, and I have something of a walking problem. Of course I was a tad worried about this, but I can report that I managed it a number of times, admittedly taking it in stages. A visitor to the Hotel, young and fit, struggled a bit, but she was pushing a baby's buggy complete with baby! All I can say is, if you're fit, it's not a problem; if like me you have moderate walking problems, you should still be able to manage. The new lift is welcome, saving the last bit of walking, up the steps.

Food - varied. Always fish, and pork, veal, rabbit, chicken are regulars. (OK, I'm not a veggie!) Plenty of salad, chips, even burgers once, and fruit. As has already been mentioned, the meals are at set times, but these times allow for a certain amount of flexibility. Afternoon tea, coffee and cakes.

Accommodation - yes, it's pretty basic, but sufficient for our humble needs, which were equally basic: somewhere to shower and sleep. Very clean, though, and linen/towels changed daily. I didn't use the TV. Our room was at the back, ideal for afternoon sun and not at all a bad view.

Staff - like most places I've visited, getting to know the people is helpful, and the small amount of effort entailed pays dividends. Maria, Angela and, of course, George, were most helpful and friendly. One of the young ladies treated my wife's infected foot, which was really kind. Bearing in mind it was quite early in the season, I'm guessing that, when it gets really busy, there may be more staff employed, but for us it meant a short wait to get a drink, or attended to at reception. Not a problem for us - we're used to Spain! "Two minutes!"

Bar - I have nothing much to add. The All Inc isn't what may be expected, based on some other places, but was more than adequate for this confirmed beer drinker. Mind you, I had a glass or two of the red wine, which was perfectly drinkable. Too good to put on chips, anyway.

Overall - I liked this Hotel. I've stayed in "posher" places and felt very uncomfortable; here, I just felt relaxed. I suppose it boils down to what suits. The Lito doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is - small and friendly.

That's it, then. Would I go back? Honestly, I would!

Room Tip: Front of hotel for a good view over Mirabello Bay
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Pedro105

Reviewed June 16, 2011

looking through the photpgraphs, this looks like the perfect place, well it is not! This was our first time going to Greece and we were not dissapointed by the country, however we were dissapointed by the Hotel.....after travelling 16 hours to get to Crete and not arriving until 5am we were all looking forward to getting a couple of hours sleep before we set off to see the beautiful city of Agios Nikolas.. well we would have been better sleeping on the floor, the bests were so hard our bones acctually were sore, waking up for breakfast the next morning we were starving, only to find out that they dont really cater for the english more the eastern european, although they may be happy to share their food with the flies, we were not, our friend got food poisioning on the FIRST day!!! from that we ate out at all times, costing us a fortune, all inclusive in Greece is not the same as Spain (as we found out to our detrement) you have 3 main meals no snacks and drinks are their own, Rakki, Ouzo and brandy and amstrel beer, and of course lemonade! there was no entertainment at all, which meant you had to go out at nights or stay out if you were heading out to get something to eat!. I have to say that the views from the hotel were breathtaking and so was the hill you had to climb up to get to the hotel. I wouldnt recommend this hotel to a family with small children as there is absolutley nothing for them to do or eat, no ice cream or lollies for small children. dont be fooled by the photographs, they show a bar inside the hote well it aint there any more, the hotel is spotless but in much need of a refurbishment, was not worth the money we paid... this is the first time i have ever wrote a review and i dont like doing this, but others must be warned, unless your from Russia, Ukraine etc, you would enjoy this hotel as the food is especially catered for them!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Magsmcc32011
Reviewed June 13, 2011

If you are just browsing through the reviews, there are a couple of things to be aware of.

1. The hotel's up a blinking steep hill and even though they now have a lift, there are a few steps to negotiate. While, strictly speaking, you wouldn't have to climb any steps, I wouldn't recommend this hotel for wheelchair users.

2. You are a fair distance from town. 30mins for a brisk walker, more likely an gentle 45 minute stroll into Agios.

3. The all inclusive menus are available at specific times only. In the afternoon there are biscuits but don't expect food throughout the day. The all-inclusive drinks are available 10am-11pm and are frothy halves of lager and local wines and spirits. Don't moan, it's all-inclusive.

OK if you are aware of those factors and don't believe them to be an issue, then you should really enjoy your time here. I'll tell you why:

The transfer from Heraklion really depends on how many drop-off you have. I booked everything separately and I wasn't sure about the transfer so I posted a thread on the tripadvisor forum. Someone recommended resorthoppa and what a fantastic recommendation it was, I paid £24 for a return transfer to the hotel and when I arrived, since I was the only traveller, the transfer company arranged a taxi. I got to the Lito in 45mins but on a coach, you are probably looking at 1hr10 depending on whether you are the last person dropped off, which I always seem to be. One of those faces, I expect.

When I arrived, I was welcomed by George. He showed me my room and, well, the rooms are pretty basic to say the least. I was already concerned I'd be writing a 2 star review on the back of the room alone. They were, however clean as a whistle and there was a nice big fridge. There are no safes in the room and are located opposite the reception desk at the cost of 1€ per day. The bathroom was clean but very small. Basically a shower room with a loo in it. The shower was old and had one of those curtains which sticks to you and does it's best to prevent you from washing yourself by wrapping itself around you. Oh yeah, you aren't supposed to flush loo roll away. Hmm.
Anyway, I was lucky to have a nice view of the sea from my room, and the balcony is nice and big but there isn't much separating from you and your neighbours.

So After unpacking, I had sort of got used to the basic surrounding and made my way to the bar area. You will find that there is one member of staff running both the reception and the bar amongst other things, so you won't get immediate service but that's no problem for me. Wait a few moments and someone will show up. It's only a small outdoor bar with local drinks available on the all-inc deal. You can splash out on other 'brand name' bevvies but being tight, I didn’t.. And why would you? (Apart from the wine, that was a bit... I want to say vinegary, not sure that's a word).

I didn't have an issue with the climb up to the hotel and as I mentioned, there is now a lift which takes you up to reception. The benefit of being up this high, is the view. I don't want too sell it too hard but it was astonishing. It was practically a 360 degree panoramic marvel, looking up to the mountains, over the coast and down onto Agios Nikolaos. The pool area is small and you may have to get in early for your favourite sun bed but I'm not a sun-worshipper, so I was happy on one of the seats nearer the bar area.

The food was fairly basic but very nice. It's all buffet style but cooked very well. I really enjoyed it and certainly got my money's worth each meal time. Lots of meats and salads and what have you. I don't really know what else to say. If you are used to gourmet restaraunting, then hard luck. I guess you wouldn't be staying here, if you were. If you love a good bit of tucker, then you are in.

The service was very relaxed but very friendly. The week I stayed, we had George, Angela and Maria looking after us, all of whom were outstanding in terms of friendly service, conversation, help with the area and queries during the stay. I can't thank those guys enough for making my stay very pleasant and it's what bumped this rating up to a 4 star (circle?). These guys aren't over the top and you will only really find out how excellent they are if you make the effort to have a chat with them.

Finally, the town. As I mentioned, a 45min walk on average. Taxi will cost you 6/7€ The port of Agios is fantastic. Sadly I didn't make it in the evening but I did a few shopping trips during the day. It's nothing like the tacky run-down tourist ports you may find on other islands or the Canaries or Spain. You don't get hassled or harangued. It's a beautiful port and having a morning Greek coffee overlooking the lake is pretty much as good as it gets. There are a few decent municipal beaches on the way into town, too.

Overall, A great stay. Beautiful views, fantastic relaxation and grand service. Basic rooms prevents a perfect score.

Room Tip: All rooms have nice views, if you can get one ove.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank SimonBr79
Reviewed August 26, 2010

We booked this hotel just seven days before travelling and reading the reviews on trip advisor we were in the main satisfied that we had done the right thing… however several reviews did slate it ! We arrived just as breakfast was starting at 8am and we were immediately greeted with a nice smile from the receptionist (always a good start). We were directed to our room which to be honest was the only slight disappointment of the trip, the shower is too small but functions perfectly well with good water pressure. The rooms are also spotless and cleaned everyday with fresh towels provided daily. We had a garden view which was superb although we later looked at a room overlooking the sea which had a view to dive for. The TV only has limited channels but to be honest this did not matter to us as we only used the room to sleep and get changed.
The real stars of this hotel are the manager George, who has to one of the nicest people we have ever met and never ceases to try and help you; and the girls behind the bar, their appetite to help and their amazing personalities are a credit to themselves and the hotel management for selecting them.
The food is always fresh and there was always fresh fish on daily as well as a range of meat dishes combined with a good selection of salads, pasta and sweets.
If i do have a slight criticism it would be that the bar only serves 'all inclusive' drinks until 11 although the bar is open until 1am. The selection of spirits available is also quite limited, all inclusive including just three - ouzo, raki and brandy.
Taxis cost around 7 euros in to Aghios and 12 euro to Elounda each way but we soon learnt that if you haggle you can get these significantly reduced. Each time we wondered the 100 metres down to the bus stop we never did get on as a taxi would stop and ask did you want a ride - this is the time to haggle and get into Aghios for 5 euro !!
The freshwater pool is superb, clean and great for kids, although the lack of evening entertainment was not ideal for younger children.
Just a five minute walk from the hotel is a superb beach that has a bar, food, showers and loungers, all making it superb for a very relaxing few hours.
All in all we would stay at this hotel again without thinking about it - it has been the most relaxing holiday we have been on…
The end line has to go to George, the manager, for his unending attention to your every need - A VERY BIG THANK YOU GEORGE… Paul and Sarah

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PP6267
Reviewed August 25, 2010

We stayed at the lito in August 2010, me, my partner and teenage son.
This is an honest reveiw of this hotel.

Bad points first:
THE HILL & STEPS there is a small very steep hill with steps at the top of this to get to the Hotel. ( not recommended for those with walking problems)
if you arrive in the middle of the night the receptionist is useless..racheed
The nearest supermarket for your bits and pieces is a 20 minute way there and back..
NO entertainment of an evening
NOT as all inclusive as you might think, only your 3 meals, and wine, larger,brandy, ouzo, raki, and soft drinks are included. Any snacks, ice cream, and spirits you have to pay for.
Playing Pool is 1.5 euros
Darts 3 different darts with rubbish flights.
Table tennis can't play because its too windy to play outside because you are high up.
Shower to small, with crtain that sticks to you whist showering, the showerhead was not fixed to the wall as in most rooms i believe

Like i said and honest reveiw.

Taxi to Agios Nikolaos, 7 euros, 12 to Enlouda one way

Not so bad things:
Food, variety of choice, all warm to hot, catering for all,unless your fussy..

Good things:
The pool is great with a great sea view ( however a couple of people did cut there toes in the pool, ( the manager fair play to him, did check the bottom of the pool to check for any problems cound'nt find any..)
The veiw from the resturant, again lovely sea view
Rooms cleaned every day with clean sheets/towels after 3 days,
All staff arer great, friendly, the girls beheld the bar, day receptionist and george are very nice people..
I would return to crete, but maybe not to this Hotel because of its location to the towns, unless you hire a car,bike or pay for cabs, hiring of cars is not cheap.
the best thing about this Hotel is the veiws and the staff, and its clean, i've stayed in a lot worse..

Enjoy your Holiday..
TS

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Tonys36
Reviewed August 23, 2010

The hotel was a very intimate hotel, very clean and tidy with stunning views.The beds were changed everyday and the pool was a freshwater pool that was very clean and maintained everyday. There were always enough sun beds around the pool and they were very comfortable.
We were all inclusive and ate very well.There was always fresh meat or fish and lovely Greek salads.
The staff were amazing, they were very kind and friendly .They made you feel welcome and nothing was too much trouble.
The manager "George" was very friendly and always checked if we were happy, he gave us lots of information about the hotel, town and island.He was a pleasure to have met.
Agios Nikolaos was a stunning town with restaurants, shops and a beautiful harbour.
We found this holiday very relaxing, with friendly people and a total rest. If you are looking for a lively place with lots of entertainment this might not be for you.
We would go back in a heartbeat!!!
Steve and Melissa Stansted Essex.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank glittershoequeen
Reviewed August 2, 2010

. Hotel basic but beautifully appointed with views over the bay of Havannia, Staff always very attentive and pleasant. Rooms kept very clean, food way above expectations, stayed on a half board basis would would have no hesitation in booking all inclusive next time.

The location of the hotel convenient for both Elounda and Agios Nicholaos with either bus or taxi. Loved the Havannia Beach opposite the Hotel with Cafe, toilets, changing booth, shower etc.

The steps to the Hotel regarded as daily excercise, However think thses would be problem for older people with mobiltiy issues, but for myself the views whilst you are enjoying your meals is worth the pain for the gain.

Want to revisit next year.

Well done to George the Manager, Stan, who carried our cases up those steps on arrival and to all the girls at the Bar for making our holiday a one to remember, especially Cleopatra, ( not her real name but she suited it)

Many Thanks, look forward to our return next year

Mrs Mrs McCormack