“Firat rate for scenery and value”

and 1 more site!
Kalithea Apartments
Ranked #44 of 95 Hotels in Agios Nikolaos
Ipswich, England, United Kingdom
“Firat rate for scenery and value”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

These appartments are 3k from Elounda and 5k to Aghios Nikolaos with breath taking scenery t this is not for the faint hearted as there are many s teps to the tops rooms,although some are available at lower levels each with a sea view,,the rooms are clean and equipped with bare essentials enough to make a lunch or tea the balcony is private not overlooked ,the pool is cleaned each evening, also the bar is open most of the time with snacks available and there is a small shop for the essentials. A very enjoyable stay here being central with a bus stop outside and a tavern opposite with views of Elounda.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Jan H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Greek first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Lovely apartments with stunning views. The holiday was made complete by Nicos, Jan and Maria. Basic apartments with everything you need, kind and helpful locals, fabulous food, couldn't have asked for more. Thank you so much.....Perfect! Phill and Diane.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, stunning
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank isitweekendyet
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed here in early May and had a fantastic time. It was the beginning of the season so quite quiet, but the staff were amazingly friendly and gave us a great apartment with stunning views each way down the coast and a large terrace which caught the sun all day.

The apartment was equipped with a full kitchenette with all utensils etc. There is a small shop on site but in early May it was quite low on stock so best to bring ingredients with you if needed. Apparently there is also a nice restaurant across from the site but we didn't eat there on this occasion. The pool was immaculate and surrounding seating and loungers were plentiful.

Location wise, the apartments are a little remote from the local towns, but this allows for a peaceful nights sleep and a picturesque surrounding of lemon trees and goat herds. A car is very handy, but buses are regular and close by.

We would definitely return to this area and if we did, we would certainly stay at Kalithea. Especially considering the low price. It appeared far batter value than a lot of other, more expensive, hotels that we passed on the way there.

One word of warning, we booked through Sunmaster.co.uk who tried there best to ruin our holiday. Avoid them at all cost.

Room Tip: I believe all rooms have a balcony and sea view. But I think we stayed in '21' which was ver...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew W
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed our 12 days at Kalithea apartments in room 18 on the top floor - with stunning views over both Elounda and Agios Nikolaos on the Mirabello Gulf.

Rooms are basic but perfectly adequate - and fantastic value - costing around the same per day as pitching your tent in a soggy field! Only minor complaint would be that the steel cupboards that house the cooker/fridge etc. squeak when opening and vibrate noisily when the fridge is powering up - as a light sleeper I found this a little problematic...

Jan, Nicos and Maria who run the apartments were invariably helpful and we really benefited from their local knowledge. We hired a car for the first week - fuel is expensive at E1.74 per litre - but we clocked up around 1000km for E90 - which was well worth it as we discovered the much quieter/less touristy spots in the mountains and on the south coast - which looks/feels more like North Africa than southern Europe.

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and it was an ideal introduction to Crete - although we are more likely to return to the South coast in future as the crystal clear sea and deserted coves/caves are more our scene than the bustling towns of Elounda/Ag Nik.

Room Tip: Top floor apartments have best views and less road/pool noise
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank diannesmiller
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I've just came home from Kalithea Apartments where I stayed for a week and I have nothing but praise for the bar manager Nicos who is extremely friendly. I was travelling alone and brought my book to the bar and asked Nicos if I could have half a carafe of wine, intending to drink a glass at the bar and return to my room to drink the rest. I ended up spending the whole evening there and met some lovely people. I felt at home and as if I was spending time with my own family. Each evening I was able to go down by myself and always ended up speaking to Nicos, his friends and a lot of very friendly guests. My holiday was perfect because of this. Maria and Jan work tirelessly every day and are always very busy, yet always have a smile on their faces. They know the names of most of the guests staying there and always have time for a chat. The rooms are spacious and very clean and excellent value. You will be amazed when you open your patio doors for the first time and see the beautiful breathtaking view. I can honestly say I've never stayed anywhere with a more stunning view before. The apartments are set high up on a hill and look down to the sea.If you don't have transport you can easily get around as there are buses either side of the road immediately outside the hotel. Overall this has to rate as one of my best holidays ever and I met many guests there which I hope to see again on my return. If you are looking for a de-stress holiday this is the perfect location for you.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 16 which was on the top floor and had a beautiful view however I found out every ro...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank cathyvinelott
Godalming
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My wife and I booked this place for a week and didn't know quite what to expect as it was so cheap to stay and only 2 star rated. The apartments are a bit dated and run down but spotlessly clean. The fridge and cooker were in working order. Our apartment was huge and also had air conditioning . The pool was lovely and cool and again spotlessly clean .As regards location it is on top of a hill a few kilometers outside of elouda with wonderful views. Agios Nicolios was very busy so we dined out at Elouda which was small and quaint with lots of beautiful fishing boats around the port and some great tavernas to eat at. Overall baring in mind this is budget accommodation I must say I really enjoyed staying here and it was exceptional value for money and unless you are a hotel snob you will enjoy your stay here and I will certainly consider staying there again on my next holiday. I would though strongly advise hiring a car so you can get about as its 5k down to Elouda village.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank jim1974Godalming
Chichester
Reviewed May 31, 2013

After a late arrival I was expecting the bar to be open so I could get a drink/food; however all was dark and a notice advised me of my apartment and gave details as to how to locate ... which took ages due to the many levels, sets of steps and lack of lights. I had a word with Nicos the next day and explained that I had had difficulty which he took on board. It being the start of the season, the place had not got into full swing, which is to be expected.

I must say however, after this, I found the most friendly guests and staff including the many-times mentioned Maria who is a delight and the lovely Jan, who both work tirelessly to get it right.
The location has wonderful views and if like me you don't drive, the bus stops outside to both Elounda (a half-hour walk downhill) and Aghios Nik. for 1 Euro 70 each way. The Ag. Nik. market is worth a visit; Elounda's is mainly fruit and veg. The Adrakos restaurant across the road is worth a visit. The staff are very welcoming and has lovely views of Elounda and the bay.

I had a super week, met lovely people and will come back again.

Room Tip: Every room seems to have a great view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo