“Surprisingly fun and interesting”

Crete Semi Submarine
Ranked #1 of 15 Tours in Agios Nikolaos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We provide a underwater trip around the Island of Agii Pandes in front of the city Agios Nikolaos, Crete.Through 28 large windows you can see the environment under water with all the sea life and sea bed. Many fish will be seen and often turtles appear. Once and a while even dolphins swim along with the boat. Trip is with English, Dutch, Deutsch, French, Greek, Russian, Bulgarian and Romanian Commentary where needed.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Surprisingly fun and interesting”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I was recommended this trip by the staff at my apartments - the two sharing joint ownership - and I must admit, I wasn't sure what to expect. For a 1.5-2 hour trip, the fare of €15 is very reasonable and for what we saw, worth every penny. On boarding the boat, you are escorted down into one of the two underwater chambers, though seating is something of a lottery as half the seats face inwards - which restricts viewing somewhat - I was fortunate to be seating facing outwards.

After initially cloudy waters, we moved out into the bay and began to see various types of fish - which were encouraged to come closer with food thrown by the crew above. After a short time, there were shouts of 'Turtle, turtle!' and we had the pleasure of seeing the first of these magnificent creatures. It seems we were very lucky, as in addition to the various fish, we saw 6 turtles - including two that were fighting over the food thrown into the water. I must admit, I paid little attention to the commentary as I was too busy taking photographs - but I didn't feel like I missed out on too much, though the effort was appreciated. The second part of the trip takes place on the surface, and while interesting - doesn't quite match the enjoyment of the below surface part of the trip. I did enjoy seeing the bay from above the water, and took some interesting photographs.

Overall, this is a great trip. I enjoyed it as a solo traveller, but can say without a doubt that this is ideal for families looking for a couple of hours entertainment for children.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Trentside-Traveller

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
ft.laud
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Highlight of my summer.”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I loved this experience and I especially liked that it was not an all day affair.I still get excited about the awesome turtles that were show boating and gliding right before my eyes ,it was if I could reach out and touch them,it was amazing.I also love to see Agios Nikolaos along the coastline which is so beautiful .I highly recommend this to everyone !!!!!!Those Turtles are well fed that is for sure,the deck hand told me they appear for their fish snacks all day long !!

Visited September 2013
manchester England
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Great afternoon out!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I want to let other tourists know about this great trip. It was recommended to us by two young women at our hotel, and I have to say it was one of the highlights of our holiday. For 15 Euros a person, you take the semi-submarine for approximately 1h50, At the beginning of the trip you go below sea level into the glass submarine viewing area, where you spend 50 minutes or so looking at the sea life in the Med. These included Mediterranean parrot fish, bream, barracudas, giant mussels and, best of all, turtles, who swam practically past our noses. The boat owners are thoroughly knowledgeable about the sea life, and explain everything in several European languages and are amusing and entertaining. After the "submarine" element, the boat carries on along the coast of Mirabello Bay, and information is given about the various luxury hotels and other buildings that can be seen from the boat. A great way to spend a couple of hours Thoroughly enjoyable.

5 Thank missnorth
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“A lottery - may be excellent, may not be...”
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying this has every chance of being a terrific trip, and at €15 per adult, €10 per child, the 90 minute journey is good value for money. The only trouble, is that the passengers sit in the hull of the Catamaran, and half of you will end up facing the inside.. with a great view of the disappointed faces of your unlucky counterparts who drew the short straw in the other blade.

I guess the other game of chance you are playing, as with any wildlife trip, is you may see interesting sealife, but you may not....

In our case, those lucky enough to face outwards are rewarded with a fabulous view of several varieties of fish, and in our case, sea turtles. The crew feed the fish, so unless there aren't any fish in the area, I would think you are more or less guaranteed something.

Given where I was seated, I could just about see what was going on but I had to twist, and it was so crowded, that it was uncomfortable to do so. If I had been facing outwards with my family, I might well have given this five stars, but because the design of the vessel guarantees 50% of the passengers will be somewhat disappointed, I have given it 4 stars, which reflects the potential rather than the actual experience I had.

5 attraction reviews
“Great experience For families”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We went to the cruise with our 6 and 3 years old Kids.
We all had a Great time in watching the fish and the see turtle As well As in the sport cruise right after.
Its highly recommanded For families with young Kids.