“Second time around and still as good as last time.”

Candia Park Village
Ranked #1 of 95 Hotels in Agios Nikolaos
Reviewed August 17, 2011

We have just come back from our second holiday to Candia Park (4-14 Aug 2001), we being my husband and i and our two children aged 6 and 2. We went there last year and enjoyed our holiday so much that we decided to go back. We were not disappointed and had a great time second time around.
I consider Candia to be great value for money. Going away with a family of 4 at peak time is expensive. My husband and i have been used to staying in luxury accomodation pre kids and it is difficult to emulate that when you have kids and have a budget. Candia is not five star luxury accomodation but it is a good four star resort. On both years, by doing some research beforehand, i have managed to obtain good deals on price; this year i booked flights and accomodation separately which worked out considerably cheaper than if i had gone through a tour operator. So do your homework beforehand as operator prices vary.
There are so many positive things to say about Candia. I have found the staff to be extremely friendly, helpful and keen to please and the service of a high standard. On checking in, i enquired about the possibility of upgrading room to a sea view appartment. I was given various options and a discounted rate because i had been to Candia previously. The room i chose was wonderful. It had great sea views; we could see the sea from our bed. I would say that it had recently been reburbished. It was decorated in cool pastel shades, the usual slippers and bathrobe were provided and special toiletteries in the bathroom. The room was spotlessly clean and kept that way daily by the maids who service it. One of the things i noticed straightaway is that there is a very low staff turnaround at Candia. The restaurant and supermarket staff and even t he lifeguards were the same as last year-a sign of a well run organisation. We were recognised and well looked after by the restaurant staff with particular mention of the manager, Nicos and a waitress called mariatte. They were couteous and couldn`t do enough for us. As always, the food at breakfast was delicious and plentiful. At night we ate in the main restaurant as well as ouside the hotel. In the main restaurant, there is a nightly buffet however unlike many other resorts, the food is varied and there are different themes each night. The food is replaced regularly; the hotel must make a loss because at the end of the night there seemed to be so much wasted food. Because my appetite is not huge, it wasn`t economic to have the buffett each time at 20 euros per adult. As such, there is an al a carte menu available and the one thing i would say about this is that the menu is not extensive and this being our second year, i did stuggle to find things i wanted to eat each night. The food itself was delicious.
The pool choice at this hotel is excellent and the areas very clean. There is a safe toddlers pool which my 2 year old loved as well as 2 large grown up pools for the older ones. You see the water composition being checked regularly by the managers. There are 2 lifeguards working all day; one at the beach and the other at the pool. The pool lifeguard works tirelessly. i never saw them sitting down once; time was spent walking between the pools and checking everyone/blowing whistles at my son for jumping in.
I note what others say about the beach. It is not huge but is enough for the size of hotel. The positives are that the water is crystal clear-i never saw any rubbish and it is private. The waves can be strong, there are rocks at the waters edge which makes it tricky to navigate tour way in and the water does get deep quickly. For this reason, not safe for young children without supervision however my children preferred the pools anyway.
Other positives about this hotel include the presence of a very good tennis coach for those that play; a well equipped supermarket and a beautiful setting. My jouney to breakfast from my room included going past numerous olive and orange trees.
This is not a sterile luxury hotel. There are no spa facilities, no fitness suite or swim up rooms. This is however a great value for money, medium sized family hotel with great service and we will be returning in the future. The best part about it is the lack of Brits. There were loads of Germans, French, Dutch, Russian families who don`t compomise on standard.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are numbered from appro 112-179. 112-? are sea/pool view whereas at a certain point...
2  Thank caroline w

Reviewed August 13, 2011

We stayed in Candia Park Village for one week in August, had breakfast included. Everything was really nice, from the location to rooms, service and morning buffet. The restaurant on the premises was also quite nice. The only disadvantage was a longer distance from Heraklion airport (it took about 1.5 hours) and its isolated location (which can be an advantage as well).

3  Thank malenka_2004
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Where do you start, with an origional booking of a studio that was upgraded to a one bedroom, then toward the end of the 2 week stay an upgrade to a full on sea view suite. To the outstanding service form the front desk with their assisting with a Greek phone card, to the unbelieavable responce to a lighting problem to and lost key and then lock replacment (at no charge).
We enjoyed the beach setting with the free lounges and umbrellas and there were many lounges in the trees as well. The taverna food was quite good, but the servie there can be a bit slow at times. There is a small store on the property that has many staples for those on self-catering or partial board situations.
Wi-Fi assess is generally pretty good form many ocations, but could be expaned for access further than the reception, or bar areas.

Room Tip: Room 165 provided fantastic sea views.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Candia Park Village is a place we have choose for our vacations the last 14 years.
It’s not easy to find a hotel that has been built with absolute respect to the environment.
But these guys did it.
Either you choose to stay with your kids as we did in the early years, an apartment literally planted in dense very well attended gardens full of trees, or if you like to feel a romantic sense as a couple, stay to the Sea Front suites with your balcony to be over the sea of Mirambello Bay. Well you will not regret it.
We have experienced the most beautiful sunrises as well as the most wonderful night views full of stars and a big moon rising.
But there is another factor that you have to keep in mind. In this place you never ask twice for anything. People who work there are friends and not the “staff” that you may have seen in other hotels. And that makes the big difference. Mr. Stelios and all our good friends, we thank you all. We have shared unforgettable moments and hope to share more in the future.
We highly recommend CPV for your vacations as a family or a couple.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Despina-Vangelis
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We chose Candia Park after reading all the great reviews on Tripadvisor. We have been to Crete many times, mostly Chania coast, and we were a bit sceptical to choosing a resort outside walking distance from a Village with restaurants etc., but decided to try Canida anyway. When the taxi drivers decided to go on strike a few days before we left for Crete, getting to/from Agios Nikolaos and Elounda suddenly became more difficoult.... As taxi drives continued their strike until the last day of our 2 week vacation, we ended up renting a car for many days to not get stuck on the hotel every night. The bus service to/from Agios N and Elounda works fine, but note that the last bus back from Agios N leaves at 8 o'clock, way to early if you are going to town for dinner. So, if you would like to have dinner in Agios N or Elounda, taxi or rental car is the only option (to far to walk, especially with kids). The car rental companies all deliver and pick up cars at the hotel, very convenient, I can recommend Byron Travel. Sixt at the hotel was by far the most expensive one..

So much for transport out of the resort - what about the resort itself? Large area, hilly, lot's of stairs so maybe not so good for elderly or disabled people. Well kept, but keep in mind the resort is 20 years old, and it is starting to show (especially the rooms). It is well maintained, and nothing wrong, but I guess we have become a bit spoiled after visiting newer, "fresher" resorts the last few years (like Porto Platanias Beach Resort last year).

The pool area is great, and for once you have got a resort with good capacity on sunbeds, you do not need to get up at 7.30 in the morning to get one even when the hotel is full. The beach is small but good enough, here capacity is more of a problem if you arrive later than 10-10.30. The sand quality is good, but not great, and in the sea it is only stones (can hurt a bit walking in and out...). The sea is crystal clear and great, but for some strange reason garbage started to flow in in the afternoons.

We tried the buffet restaurant a couple of nights, and it was good, €20 for adults (€24 for greek evening) and €8 for children. Lot's to choose from, and you always end up eating to much... The taverna Fili was ok, limited choice, not excatly gourmet, but for a couple on nights it is fair enough. You can also get takeaway if you want a pizza or something to eat in your room. Unfortunately the Fili Taverna does not have a lunch menu, so no omeletts, club sandwich etc., only the normal "dinner menu". The snack bar at the pool serves toast or hot dogs to eat.

We had a standard one bedroom and living room apartment. It looked like it was 20 years old (as it is), with a couple of loose floor tiles that had to be fixed. Air conditioning was only in bedroom so the living room was a bit hot, but it was not a big problem for us. The kitchen was definitely basic (as described), unfortunately no wine glass (always a downer drinking wine from a plastic cup..). The bed was firm (as in stone hard).. This might not sound very good, but it was satisfactory, just not great. The first impression was not great, but after a day we were all happy. If you cant stand ants, you have a problem by the way...

The kids club at Candia was good, our children did not use it that much, but certainly enjoyed the activities they did check out. There is also a "Game room" at the hotel with billiards, games, computers/internet etc. Some of the equipm. was very old and did not work (did I mention the place is 20 years old......).

So, would I recommend Candia Park..., well I guess so, good for families. But would I go there again myself, I guess probably not..! Competition is hard on Crete, and there is lot's of great places to choose from!

Both Agios N and Elounda are very nice villages, with plenty of restaurants and tourist shops. Bigger and much more lively in Agios, Elounda was very calm when we were there, but still very nice. Boats to Spingalonga leaves every 30 min from Elounda, well worth a visit.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Apollo
7  Thank Petter J
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I had spent the past 5 Summers in Turkey as family holidays in 5 star all inclusive. It was very good but got a bit boring for all going to the same place all the time. So I was told that Crete was really excellent. I was looking for a 5 star hotel but came across Candia Park on Trip Advisor and the reviews were mostly very positive. I put aside the fact that it was 4 as opposed to 5 star as to be honest I am no expert and thought it didn't mean so much. Life is a learning curve I'm told and boy did I get a lesson.
On the plus side the people in this complex are really very nice and always polite. Also I had a large family apartment for 4 and it was ok. It was definitely in need of a bit of modernisation but it was not too bad.
On the negative side there were a number of things which will mean I would never return again even for free.
Firstly there is no sandy beach. I am sorry but I cannot believe that they try to claim they have a sandy beach. I found other sites that had said the beach was terrible so I called beforehand to check and they assured me they had a sandy beach. In reality the beach is tiny and while there may be a bit of sand on the shore in some places once you go inside more than a meter then you hit the rocks and there are plenty of them. I have seen other people make this point on this site in reviews. It is actually very dangerous mostly for kids and especially if the water is anything but very calm. Thankfully we only went on the first day as there is a beautiful public beach with blue flag (best beach I have seen) just the other side of Agios Nikolaos.
Second the food was really poor. I thought I would see plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. Unfortunately the bulk of the veg was of the frozen pack variety. They even had the diced vegetables in the kids section. I have not seen them for quite a while. The chicken was of the very old hen variety etc. It was just awful so much so that even though I was on half board we never ate there after the first few days. Plenty of great restaurants in and around the town centre.
For the kids just one mini disco a week which was not good for my little one who was looking forward to dancing the night away every night like she did in Turkey.
In summary if you wanted a place as a base to see the eastern part of the Island then this would be a good location but I would never recommend it to anyone as a place to park the family for a holiday.
Crete itself was simply beautiful and the people great. This is the first time I have ever wrote a review but given that I went to Candia Park off the back of recommendations on this site I just wanted to give my view for others thinking of going there.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
10  Thank MichaelRus
Reviewed July 29, 2011

The kids and we enjoyed the wonderful pool, lovely grounds, easy access to the bay, gorgeous sunrise, and friendly staff. The large buffet breakfast and the dinner buffet (both featuring delicious Greek foods and traditional dishes) were excellent. We rented a car to visit the town and nearby beaches to get a better feel for the area. The resort is about an hour's drive to the ancient ruins of Knossos (Iraklion) which is a "must see!" Spend a day touring and then return to Candia Park to relax and enjoy Crete!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the bay.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
#7 of 13 in Panormos
Creta Maris Beach Resort
Creta Maris Beach Resort
#7 of 172 in Hersonissos

Been to Candia Park Village? Share your experiences!