“Ever better...wonderful hotel”

Ranked #7 of 95 Hotels in Agios Nikolaos
Helensburgh, United Kingdom
“Ever better...wonderful hotel”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This is my second review of this hotel having been with a friend last time decided to visit with husband..as he is used to top 5* luxury hotels and I did feel and still do feel rooms are a bit tired and bathrooms need upgrading...was unsure if he'd love the place as much as I did.

Needn't have worried if anything he was fine with the room itself (actually I was the one thinking even more tired re decor in rooms)..and he adored the rooftop pool and the location of the hotel and we had one of the best holidays ever chilling out.

The food was absolutely outstanding..I have never liked buffet food...but this time even I was impressed by the quality and choice...the breakfasts have improved... terrific choice they now make eggs freshly fried...get them first then add bacon to stay hot...the omelette is also excellent time it so its just been done and take a slice and lovely and hot which was my main minor quibble food tended to be almost cold before. You can also boil your own egg the way you like it ..

We tended to eat outdoors ...looking at the stunning views...and the service was outstanding Eva was especially kind always found us a table.

We for the first time in many years went all inclusive..as we occasionally like to sleep late the fact you could have continental breakfast at 10am till 11am meant no stress...although we did tend to go in time for the hot breakfast lovely to have the option.

Lunchtime they do hot fresh fish cooked on the grill so if a bit stuffed from breakfast could have salad with this and a nice carafe of wine. Dinner also exceptionally good again carvery of some meat or fish...plenty of choices.

The entertainment is something I usually give a miss but velina and team were great fun and the bar staff were great too...loved their pina coladas...and even the local G&T's were good. The greek night was particularly good...BBQ too.

The bedrooms are not luxurious....but the view makes up for that IMO...and I didn't bother with mattress topper and didn't find the bed too hard at all..shower worked well....but I do think they need an upgrade tiling just a bit grubby although cleaned daily.

My biggest bug last time visited was the whole early start for sunbeds..there were lots more of them this time...and never had a problem ..don't know if its because we were low season ..but enjoyed not having to rise early to bag a spot.

I love the position of this hotel just a few minutes to the harbor and lagoon and shops feel very safe here..I was happy walking around myself while my husband enjoyed a beer.

Many people go back year after year ...I will be one of them....already planning my next trip.

Room Tip: I think most sea view rooms are good..I have been in 444 and this time 337..and they have a large se...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shmagic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
london
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is my second visit to the Hermes and it did not dissapoint. Had a bit of a shaky start as the room had not been made up on my arrival, 6.30pm. I was asked to go for drinks/dinner while the room was cleaned. It would have been nice to have freshened up first but never mind. Later that evening I was given a basket of fruit and a bottle of wine as a goodwill gesture. The next day I was also given a kettle and tea /coffee. This apparently is only given to special guests !! The rest of the holiday was fabulous. Food great, location superb and the staff could not have been more helpful. The rooms are a little tired, TV like a matchbox, carpets threadbare in places and pillows like crispbreads... ask for more as only given two as standard !but who goes on holiday to spend all day in the room. Average age of guests is about 65 so at only 55 I felt like a youngster. So no late raucous nites as everone seems to be tucked up in bed by 12pm. I love it and I will be returning next year. Oh I also got on cake on my birthday.. nice touch

Room Tip: Definately choose a sea room,costs extra but stunning views
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank 15raffy15
Northampton
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We went to the Hermes Hotel on 16 September for two weeks. It is a beautiful hotel with amazing views, wonderful staff and great food.

My only complaints were 1 our room 121 needs a new carpet, it was marked and rippled like the bottom of the sea!! secondly there were not enough hand rails around the pool area and also going down to the bar, i had recently had two knee operations and had to walk up the many steps very carefully. There were a lot of older people there who i spoke to and agreed please put more "hand rails around this area"

Otherwise a great time was had my me and my husband though we did pay for a sea view which was obstructed by some lovely trees, and unfortunately we did have some pigeons nesting above our balcony which left a mess every day (the maids did clean this up every day) This was nobodys fault we were just unlucky where they decided to nest!

Thankyou Hermers for a lovely stay.

Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed in a family room on the 2ndfloor in crete ,to attend a wedding. The Hotel is in an ideal position on the sea front and 5 mins walk from the town. Reception was friendly and efficient initially and during the week handling enquiries. I have to say we have seldom come across a more cheerful and helpful bunch of staff.The seaview room was of a very good size with three single beds, good size balcony overlooking the main road. I did not think the noise excessive and was quiet at night. it would seem that you either overlook the road or higher up ,the pool/bar area with consquent noise from the entertainment later at night.
The furnishings were of a good standard except a really tiny tv, bathroom a bit tired but shower worked well.
Breakfast had plenty of choice, shame about the watery fruit juice. Of its type the evening buffet was good despite cold plates.
Overall an excellent Hotel we would definately stay there again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Cumbernauld, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Lovely hotel in a lovely area of Crete, Food was fairly good and plentiful, Plates for hot meals tend to be cold (as usual ).
Entertainment was not bad ( I've seen a lot worse )
Had friends from Colchester coming on our second week and as we had recommended this hotel we were a bit apprehensive but they got a sea view and had no complaints and thoroughly enjoyed their stay.
The location of the Hermes is ideal for the center of town/ Port/ Beaches/ Bus to Elounda..
We love Ag Nik and will surely return but will book a sea view room in future and hope we get it.
Bobby T

Room Tip: Try to avoid side rooms unless you like looking at a brick wall ( no view at all ) worth the extra e...
1 Thank Bobby12d
Merseyside
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have never written a review before but after returning from a week at the Hermes I felt I had to take the time to let others know what a fabulous hotel we found this to be.
The location is great just a 5 minute stroll to the harbour area with its wonderful shops, eatery's and taverna's.
The food was wonderful with lots of choice. Great BBQ nights and the carvery was divine. The staff were friendly and always there to welcome you.
The rooms were spacious and the maids came in daily. A tip is to book a sea view room as the view is lovely and if you can get a room on the 5th floor do so as this is where the roof top pool and activities takes place.
There is nightly entertainment which is quite good and the bar staff are always friendly and welcoming
We would definitely return to the Hermes and would recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Room s with a seaview are worth the extra and the 5th floor is the area where the roof top pool is l...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jane M
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2012

My husband and I have just return after a week at this hotel, what can I say but that we had a brilliant holiday. Our room was on the 5th floor and had a great view, the food was great the staff were very good, friendly and eager to please you, location was great and only a few minutes walk to the lake and harbour. We were All Inclusive so we did not have a problem with the prices of drinks etc and we were told these were a bit expensive. In previous reports some people complained about the mattress being too hard, yes they were hard but we did not find them too hard and we slept well. We would recommend this hotel to our friends and we may well return here.

Room Tip: Myself I would choose a higher floor room with a sea view
1 Thank Gloria_D186364
#6 of 171 in Hersonissos
Mirabello Beach & Village Hotel
Mirabello Beach & Village Hotel
#6 of 95 in Agios Nikolaos

Been to Hermes Hotel? Share your experiences!