“Lovely Place”
Review of Hermes Hotel

Hermes Hotel
Ranked #7 of 95 Hotels in Agios Nikolaos
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Really want to go back to this place. Great location.. really enjoyed walking down to the lake and looking across the sea in the evening. Nice restaurants in easy reach and a larger beach a short walk away. One evening we had a barbecue. Was well worth the money and Crete was such a beautiful place with lovely trips... really recommend going to spinalonga and reading the book about it called 'the island.' We went in June 2011.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hermes Hotel

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Good points:
Food is very tasty with plenty of variety.
Maids did an excellent job, reception and dining staff were also very good.
Location is the best you can get! looking out at the bay, can't get closer to the sea and 3 minute walk to the centre, perfect.
Free computer use in the lounge.
Free safety deposit box in rooms.
And small meal and bottled water left in fridge if arriving on a late flight.

Bad points:
Pool is salt water, the levels of salt are extreme, I went in the pool on our first day and didn't go back, the sea is much nicer anyway but if prefer to spend your days by the pool then I wouldn't go here.

Rooms are dated, again this didn't bother us as we spent little time there but if you don't plan to leave the hotel much then I would suggest going elsewhere.

All rooms allow smoking! we booked with Thomas cook which gave the room upgrade option (sea view) but didn't say anywhere about requesting a non smoking room, neither does it say on the hotel's website. We had to be moved from our original room as the smell of smoke was so strong, I couldn't sleep as my chest was so tight from the fumes. We still had a sea view but on the first floor which was incredibly noisy from the traffic, we didn't want to complain about this though because of the reception we received when complaining to the reservations staff the first time around. She said smoking was allowed in Greece and therefore all rooms had ash trays and allowed smoking but if we didn't want a smoking room we should have requested one!? A complete contradiction as she just said all rooms allowed smoking so even if we did request a non smoking room we still would have been put in one.

This put a downer on the start of our holiday, mainly the way the reservation lady spoke to us.

Other then that incident I can't say anything really bad about this place, the location, food and views make it a brilliant place but I don't think it should still be rated as 4* as the facilities aren't really up to 4* standard. The air con in the rooms is very dated, we could only have it on for 30 mins as it would end up given us blocked noses and making us feel ill as it was just dirty recycled air. The first room we were put in also smelt very strongly of alcohol so that air being recycled over and over was just vile.

If I returned to Ag Nik I wouldn't stay here again as we spent very little time in the hotel and could have stayed in a 2* 50m down the road with the exact same great views same standard of rooms for £30 cheaper per night.

If you haven't booked yet and your one for spending most of your days at the beach or exploring I would book somewhere like the Victoria hotel but if you have already booked here I wouldn't worry as it is a nice place with far more positives then negatives and I had a pretty good experience here I just wouldn't book this place again.

Ag Nik is a great resort, eating out isn't that expensive in comparison to the UK, you can get a greek salad in most places for 4e which is very filling and most places bring out a basket of bread with that too (Free of charge). Beer ranges from 2.5 to 4e and cocktails are 7e pretty much everywhere apart from one place where i saw a few for 9e.

The local bus to elounda is very cheap and a very pretty journey that only takes about 10 or 15 mins, eating out in Elounda is also inexpensive (cheaper the Ag Nik).

If your worried about not having a sea view I wouldn't worry you get an amazing view from the fifth floor where the pool is. I found the mattresses very comfortable and slept really well on them although traffic noise on the main road didn't allow for a great nights sleep so sleep quality for me was average.

Room Tip: Sea view from the fourth floor is fantastic if you request a sea view I would ask for the fourth flo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TMF90
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Our stay in July was my 3rd at the Hermes. Although blocky in external appearance, this Hotel is a gem. The location, reception, staff, rooms, food and pool are all lovely. The bedding and rooms are immaculate and the air con, safes and internet (in communal area), free. I have stayed with both a female friend and my partner. Both loved the Hermes and can't wait to return. Only grumbles are 1 grumpy waiter, who has been at the Hermes every time I've stayed there. The other waiting staff are fabulous, like the rest of the Hermes team, and the pool is very shaded meaning it is usually fairly cold, initially. July was a bit hot for me. I'll stick with June or September in future. I recommend the Hermes to all my friends and family.

Room Tip: Sea View room essential
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank pragueophile
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Just to say that we've had another lovely 2 weeks at Hermes. Good food and the Greek night was brilliant.

Staff very lovely and welcoming, there were some lovely hugs hello and goodbye!!!

You do need a sea view in my opinion if you weant to get the best from this place. This comes "in" with a family room and I don't know how much of a surcharge this would be for other rooms.

We took someone elses advice and emailed the hotel before we went asking for mattress toppers, which they provided for the main bed (the kids beds had to make do with a folded up blanket). this made the beds much more comfy.

Feel at home here and I'm sure we'll be back soon.

Heraklion airport is a real pain though - not had an easy experience here in any of last three years - but that's nothing to do with Hermes - just thought I'd make folk aware.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are a must if you want to get the most out of a stay here.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank MickyDip
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Have spent many years as a solo 50ish female in need of a holiday.
The Hermes was the best yet,Hotel was smart and stlylish with free air -con, my room(708) was fine but maybe a bit dull looking on to the back street with the tinyist balconey that I never saw the sun on ,but I was on holiday....it's only there to sleep at night bit of t.v news and cold drink in fridge!
The food was great and massive selection very profesionally done,with 2 chefs also cooking to order every meal.I was all inclusive and with the choice of food & drinks it was worth every penny. All the staff were friendly,cheery,and hard working I wont mention any individual staff as they all worked as a fine tuned team,and the girls at the bar at night must walk miles round the pool especially on a show night ,which were so good,as on your own nights can be a bit lonely,the girls chatted and kept the drinks supplied and, I was lucky to meet a lovely dutch couple,to chat and giggle most nights.
Did the Spinalongs trip booked by Glen my friendly Thomson rep, which was all day.. bus journey then boat,guide round the island,on to a barbecue a (too short ) stop in Elounda,and back ,very good and filled a day.

The view from the pool was stunning,always something to watch boats to cruise ships, and being on the 5th floor most days there was a lovely breeze or it might of been unbearable. Ag Nik is a lovely town to walk round and just at the end of the road,or right looking from the pool!!

Only down side was the airport back from arriving there till boarding the plane I was in a que, saw none of the airport,even the plane missed it's take off time because we took so long to be processed,food or drink !!! No chance !! The greek definatly did'nt spend the money on that airport ,!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank scotnosh
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Just returned from a week at this hotel and had a fantasic time. We stayed half board, 2 adults 2 children and at meal times there was something for all of us, the only thing missing for me was brown sauce at breakfast time. The evening meals were superb and the Greek night was even better with plenty of choice. We took the option to change an evening meal for dinner so we could eat out next to the bottomless lake which was charming. The hotel staff were excellent with the kids. The pool was ideal and never got to busy even though it's not the biggest. The rooms were very basic but spottless and cleaned every day. We also had a fridge in the room which I thought was a nice bonus. There is also a gymnasium which was very good and had plenty of olympic bars, free weights & treadmills. Finally, I would definatly stay here again.

Room Tip: Book a room with a sea view it will be well worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Redcarlad48
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Me and my partner booked this holiday for the 31/07/12 and we have to say we enjoyed it more than our last holiday the only thing that we didn't like was how long the coach transfer took from the airport as we were told it wouldn't be that long!we booked out holiday with jet 2 so you don't get a rep to tell you what you need to know!! The island is very beautiful to look at and their are boat trips you can go on to spinalonga which we didn't really like because their wasn't much their apart from rocks a church and a cafe and steps so take your walking shoes!! when we were on the trip to spinalonga their were lots of people from different places but as we were English we didn't get a tour guide as nobody spoke our language which we were annoyed about so we got told to find our own way round!! we booked this trip through our hotel which was cheaper 50 euros for 2 people and you get a barbeque on another island when you leave spinalonga.The hotel was nice clean etc we had to request to move rooms as the view we were given looked out onto a what id call a back street which had bricks,rubbish,and mating cats and moped's and cars going up and down which keep you awake after the first day we moved rooms to a better view which wasn't a problem the staff were happy to help.The restaurant is clean and has a open buffet full of different choices and some night they have a barbeque night which we enjoyed,The view from the restaurant was amazing it looks out onto the sea which you can see the cruise ships come in etc The pool is full of salt water which we wasn't aware when we jumped in and as you can imagine you get very sore eyes and doesn't taste very nice either and every night they add a bucket of salt to the pool filter i prefer chlorine pool water myself but each to their own...Their is a internet connection but its very poor depending on which room you are in i was told....The hotel is about 5-10 mins walk from local shops restaurants which is lovely first thing in a morning you can admire the views it is expensive too we paid 4 euro's for 2 cans of coke and the clothes etc are expensive too make sure you take a high SPF sun cream as we blistered and we put it on every half hour!! The weather was fab no doubt and we enjoyed our holiday i would advise to go all inclusive as you do get more benefits with eating drinking and the cocktails are free with all inclusive as they normally cost anything from 7.50 euros and you can eat as and when you want too if you eat from the pool bar and you all inclusive you do have to pay for food even though you are all inclusive but you get it at 50% discount i would stay here again their are alot of Russian,German,dutch people their and the odd English the entertainment could be better as their were the odd night their wasn't nothing on apart from the Olympics they had dancers the odd night but that was it their is plenty of sunbeds but not many in the shade so you need to be their early the hotel do provide towels for the sunbeds and they change them everyday!! :-)

Room Tip: i would upgrade to a sea view if you can pay the extra its worth it!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple