“Excellent hotel with all we wanted - including the weather”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hermes Hotel

Hermes Hotel
Ranked #6 of 100 Hotels in Agios Nikolaos
Stockport
“Excellent hotel with all we wanted - including the weather”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

Iberostar apparently took this hotel on in the last couple of years and they are bringing it up to the high standards of their brand. We've just spent two June weeks there with friends and enjoyed everything about the hotel. The food is excellent with a great variety of choice at breakfast and dinner. The dining room is spacious and airy and if you are lucky you can get a table on the outside dining area which overlooks the sea.

The entertainment was lively dance performances on most evenings and whenever possible it was out on the terrace next to the pool. This was great because the fifth floor bar could get a bit warm in the evenings so a table on the terrace was a better option. The open roadside Del Mar bar provided a great alternative for drinks, especially as the European Cup football was on in the indoor part of the lounge/bar.

We had rooms on the top (nineth) floor and set back with a sea view over the fifth floor pool area, the promenade couldn't be seen or heard. The rooms were spacious and cleaned to a high standard with clean linen and towels almost daily. The whole hotel was clean and modern and the staff in all sections were typically Greek - very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Upper floors with a sea view are well worth paying for.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank AdenGail

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stayed at the Hermes the last two weeks of June and had a great time. I must say, most of what I have read on trip advisor is true. Yes, the beds are hard and so are the pillows. The waste water from the washbasin also comes up the drain in the bathroom floor, which is a bit worrying! The food on the whole is just warm. The bacon is barely cooked and perhaps the fried potatoes at breakfast are the left over potatoes from the night before. On saying all this, we e-mailed the hotel before we went and asked for a bed topper and soft pillows - this was done and we found the beds quite comfortable. Warm food when catering for so many people is such a common occurance abroad that we don't let it bother us. The barely cooked bacon was delicious and tender, just like ham and I also fry left over potaoes the next day, so found this quite acceptable. The staff were very polite and friendly, especially if you treat them with a smile and the respect they deserve. Their job must be a very difficult one particularly when we saw how some people treated them.
Since going to the hotel 9 years ago, it has been completely refurbished and is a lovely convenient hotel, close to the bottomless lake of Agios Nikolaos - approx. 400 metres.
During our first week there were many more mature people, which perhaps this hotel is more suited to. In our second week there were a few young children and there really isn't much for them to do. The pool isn't huge and is 3 feet deep in the shallow end - there isn't a childrens pool. The tiled surround is also too hot to play or sit on. The sun is extremely strong and there are not enough umbrellas for everyone. I wont repeat a list of all the food on offer - sufficient to say there was more than enough choice at every meal and on the whole the quality was very good.
Definitely on the plus side (if you pay the supplement for a sea view) is the settee and the tea and coffee making facilities. All rooms are supplied with free pool towels, free safe and free fridge. Extra drawers in the bedroom would be a help - 3 small drawers are not enough, although there was enough hanging space. Our room was kept very clean and bedlinen and towels were changed as often as we wanted. Stains on the side of the bed were a bit off putting - obviously done by a previous guest. The hotel has quite a few steps around the pool, so not sure how wheelchair users would manage. The pool is very cold - everyone commented on it and the metal ladders into the pool don't make it easy to enter.
The only thing I will criticize the hotel for is the abysmal cold meal that was served to our room on arrival, as we were too late for the restaurant. It consisted of a small dry rock hard roll (no butter), 4 very small thin slices of ham, cold chunks of potato, an apple and a bottle of water. This to take the place of the 3 or 4 course meal we would have had if our flight had been earlier. I don't object to cold food, but surely a proper salad, cake and yoghurt etc should have been provided and also perhaps a jug of milk so that we could have made ourselves a cup of tea.

Things to do in Agios Nikolaos -
We hired a car from Economy car hire which is only a couple of doors away from the Hermes. Go and speak to Dimitra Niotaki, she is a delightful young lady and sorted out a fairly new Hyundi i10, which cost us 100 euros for 3 days.
Take a boat trip to Spinalonga for 10 euro's, which includes a tour on the island.
A trip on the "Little train", which is a land train. There are 3 tours of varying length that run from Ag. Nik. and the same company also run a tour from Elounda. The original "Happy train" also runs a couple of trips from Elounda.
The mini submarine trip at 15 euros combines a trip underwater and a mini cruise of the bay.
Go and sit in one of the many cafes round the lake - they are struggling at the moment and are blaming a lot of it on many hotels going all inclusive.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea facing high floor room.
12 Thank Lindylou146
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stayed here for a week in June and after reading one of the comments on here before going made me quite apprehensive... and to be quite honest i am a bit of a fussy sod...However on arrival we were pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness of the room and hotel facilities... Gentlemen be warned that when dining in the restaurant at dinner you are required to wear trousers... No shorts allowed and this is strictly adhered to so take trousers!!! The pool terrace on the fith floor has the most amazing view over the bay as does the restaurant also on the fifth floor. During our stay there was no problem getting sunbeds by the pool....if you are up early enough!!! The pool bar is run by my two favourite ladies, Koola and Klio who not only provide a fantastic service but tasty food...the calamari is fantastic.....the food in the hotel is very good and I really can't understand people who moan...there was a good selection everyday and even the fussiest of eaters are catered for. We stayed on a half board basis but with the prices in Greece at an all time high I would recommend the you go all inclusive. Something else worth considering is a sea view on the fourth floor which has amassing views.....we booked without a sea view and there were non available on arrival although our room had a lovely balcony which was very pleasant and spacious. There is a good mix of Europeans and all age groups which made a nice change...we made some great friends here and we are all planning to return next year for 2 weeks....roll on June 2013!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Demetrios C
Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

having spent 14 days at this hotel i can honestly say i could not find a lot to complain about
the staff very very pleasent nothing was any bother to them
the rooms were very clean and well maintained
i certainly could not fault the meals excellent
it is situated close to the town centre easy to get to the shops etc

Room Tip: get the 5th floor if possible
1 Thank raymond e
Kiev, Ukraine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

I stayed at Iberostar Hermes during 17-24th of June 2012, traveling alone (I bought a tour for 1 person).
Hotel has perfect location - nice beach with the clear water is just across the road, amazing sea view from the main terasse onthe 5th floor makes your meal even more enjoyable, also at 6.01 am you can see the beautiful sunrise from the room (if it has a sea view ofcourse) or from the balcony, as it was in my case (I had a city view). To get to the city center takes just 3-5 minutes walking along the waterfront.
Nice entertainment and cool team at the bar. Tourists are mostly from UK (groups of old people), France, Italy (just a little) and Russia (families, young couples).
The food was good - a lot of fresh and dried fruits (apples, oranges, watermelon, kiwi, grapefruits) - very important as for me for the breakfast, I liked pancakes, cheese, cereal, yougurt (but I think it was too viscid and not sour enough as it usualy should be). Briefly speaking for me was enough to have just breakfast and dinner.
But what surprised me - is that they don't serve hot drinks during the dinner. Normally, you can pay for tea or coffee additionally but in this case, as waitress has told to me, that during the dinner you cannot order tea or coffee at the restaurant (they offer only water or wine), you have to buy it in the bar. But! if you buy your tea in the bar - it is not allowed to bring it to the restaurant. Nonsence! I think that it was kind of fun for the staff.
Also, there was a problem with "readiness to help" - for example all my questions started with "How...?" and "where is ...?" were answered in the way with "You can ask your guide" or "You can ask someone in the center". Ahhh, but guys, I stayed at YOUR hotel, I am YOUR tourist and why should I go to the center and look someone to ask for, I asked you, guys. Then, when I was going to the excursion early in the morning, I asked for an early breakfest and meal package instead of dinner (as I was going to be back late in the evening), and I told that I am vegetarian, please no meat, no eggs, just simply add more fruits to my breakfest and it would be ok with me. And what? they brought me 2 breakfasts and no meal package for dinner, and still it could be ok but sandwich was with ham, and there where eggs ((( maybe this is because of the tense political situation in the country?...
Ok, let's go further. Room service was good in general, but another thing was that they didn't change the one-time sets in the bathroom when something is going to be finished (e.g. when ear sticks have finished).
The room itself was clean, had airconditioner, hairdryer, free safe, no minibar. I would estimated it with 3*+ not as for 4* hotel (it seemed a bit oldy).
Oh, and I almost forgot, I had a birthday during my stay at the hotel, and they didn't send me even a congratulation card (I don't pretend on gifts, but I think they could pay more attention to their guests).

So what can I say, the hotel and location are ok, but I didn't get an appropriate service as I expected. Probably I would choose something else when I come next time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Online Reputation Manager at Hermes Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing your review from your recent stay among us at Iberostar Hermes. We would like to apologize for “any “situation under our standards, the head departments have been informed about your comments and we are sure they will help us to improve. We regret profoundly the failure to meet your holiday expectations.

Concerning hot drinks, the reason that we don´t serve hot drinks during the dinner is for not collapse the main restaurant during the meal time. We are sorry for the inconvenients

About your breakfest and meal package complain. We regret profoundly the failure to meet your food expectations. We are terrible sorry for the mistake. The head departments have been informed about your comments and we are sure they will help us to improve so that never happen again.

We would like to thank you for sharing you experiences. We will take your comments in our consideration and we will try our very best to improve these points. Comments like yours keeps motivating us to keep improving our exclusive and personal service, so our guest can enjoy a wonderful time in our hotel.

Yours sincerely

Online Reputation Manager
Iberostar Hotels & Resorts
Banbury, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

Hotel was in a very good position overlooking the bay and only a short walk to the lake where there were plenty of bars and restaurants. Bit pricey the drinks.Hotel very nice and the staff very friendly.Food was good.Maids kept the rooms spotless

1 Thank Karen P
, Online Reputation Manager at Hermes Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Such positive and rewarding comments as you own are what motivate us and all members here at Iberostar. Thank you ever so much for the time spent in writing down you experience with us. We are glad to read that you are more than pleased with our hotel standards, including both accommodation and food and beverage.

Thank you for your kind words towards our staff, as they all work very hard, striving to surpass guest expectations. We will definitely be passing on your comments to them about your satisfaction with their service. We would be more than pleased to be able to greet you once more at Iberostar and do hope you decide to visit us again.

Yours sincerely

Online Reputation Manager
Iberostar Hotels & Resorts
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

Its a funny business booking an hotel, particularly if youre going off old photos in magazines and other peoples critiques. You haven't a clue whether the pictures have been 'photoshopped' or the people making the crits are friends of the manager or shareholders in the company!
Then theres the situation of the the hotel before you consider the hotel itself. Is it among the clubs and pubs of the resort, on the Mulsanne Straight of said resort or is in its own grounds surrounded by surf beaten beaches and palm trees with only the song of sea birds for company. . The hotel in this case is very close to the town centre and great for the evening meander around the coast or through the towns shops and tavernas.
Having closely analysed these factors theres the hotel. Who is it owned by and whats their reputation. How many hotels are there in the group and where are they situated.
The boxes so far ticked you book - you get out of your transfer vehicle take a first glance at the location and walk in to the foyer and how first appearances matter. The Hermes while pretty minimalistic has a clean and spacious entrance. The public areas on each floor are pleasantly carpeted. The rooms vary in size and aspect. We had a large 3rd floor room over the front door with delightful views from the balcony. The room was just off basic, but clean and adequate. Like others we found the beds hard, but the mattress topper was forth coming and made a huge difference. We would have liked to have slept with the balcony doors open but the noise of the silencer- less motor bikes and early morning coaches and delivery vehicles prevented that.
The sunrises were stunning. I would have preferred a light duvet to sheets and a bed cover.
The service in the restaurant was excellent Anthony and Eva et al were exemplary in their attentiveness and courteousness.
The food. The breakfasts lacked that je ne sais quoi that made it a great start to the day. It was all there fresh fruit oranges and grapefruit, but why oh! why tinned fruit in bowls - sorry Hermes not on! The same hot dog sausage for the full English every day - please! The fresh bread though was hard to beat and with Greek Honey was great. So, varied . Dinner in the evening was similar some star turns , when it was good it was greatbut more often than not it was of a mediocre standard. Lacking consistancy.
Evening entertainment varied similarly.
The present manager has been in situ a comparatively short time and is certainly hands on and door wide open in approach and it is very clear that he is making progress and will continue to up the hotels game. We wish him and his team every success. Given the pluses and minuses i hope we'll be back.

Room Tip: Mattress topper. If you are a non smoker sit up wind of smokers on the patio at meal times. Take yo...
1 Thank themustang