“Stunning Location, Stunning View - we will definetly go back!”
Review of Hermes Hotel

Hermes Hotel
Ranked #7 of 95 Hotels in Agios Nikolaos
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Stunning Location, Stunning View - we will definetly go back!”
Reviewed July 11, 2011

After reading previous reviews I was slighly concerned at the bad reviews on here but once I arrived all my concerns were gone! I do agree in regards to the sun bed situation and for the first three days of our 2 week break there were clearly not enough beds. There were then plenty more new beds put out so it looks like the hotel has taken on board the previous feedback and there were always some spare (this however didn't stop some people getting up in the middle of the night to put towels down to reserve the beds and then didnt come down till lunch time/the afternoon). The hotel does need to get hotter on this as the couple of signs are not working. We booked through Thomson and the only option was HB. The hotel were very accomadation and let us swap our evening meal for a lunch in the hotel as were were not planning on dining in the hotel in the evening. The food was very good in the restuarant and the staff were really friendly, breakfast and lunch always had plenty of options - something definelty for everyone and of a good quality.
We did pay the extra for a sea view room and agree with other reviews that paying is defintely worth it but even if you do not have a sea view room you do get to take advantage of the view from the pool/resturant/bar areas - all of which looks over the gorgeous Aegon Sea. The view is stunning. Rooms are basic for what we would be use to for a 4 star in this country but very clean and had everything that we needed - they are cleared and tidied everyday with new towels etc. Pool Bar is very nice and the prices at the hotel are no more expensive that going to any of the bars in Ag. Nikolaos.
The location is perfect - walking distance to four small beaches and right on the door steps of the bars/restuarants of the marina & Lake. The food quality and choice was very good and if you want a resort with real Greek charm - this is the place (not a english bar or macdonalds in sight!) We would definitely recommend going to Mare e Monte (a Italian/Greek) the most deflious food and welcoming - you will definetly end up going back again.
We booked through Thomson to go to Knossos, the water park and Spinalonga - all of which we really enjoy and were run really well.
All in all, the hotel and location was perfect and one of the best holidays we have had. The only negiative is that we are now home and the two weeks went way too fast.

Room Tip: Book a sea view room, we were on the 7th floor and had amazing views
6 Thank Flossy1984

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
London
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Our visit to this hotel was as a First Choice holiday package.

First, a brief description of the hotel's structure and layout. The ground floor through to the fouth floor are built into the rock, i.e. this part of the hotel only has a front and no back. The fifth floor upwards have a front and a back. The ground floor fronts on to the main coast road and houses the reception area, a bar and other public areas. Floors one through three have sea-view rooms only. The fourth floor is larger and has sea-view rooms, a gym and other meeting areas. The fifth floor houses the main eating area, a couple of bars and leads to the pool area. This floor is at the same level as the access road to the rear of the hotel. The remaining floors have both sea-view rooms and non-sea-view rooms.

The Hermes faces just north of east, so those with sea-view rooms can enjoy the sunrise - a real plus as the rooms don't get cooked with afternoon sun. We were on the first floor - not the most ideal as there is a moderate amount of street noise if you have the balcony door open. As we did not use the balcony much apart from using it as a drying area, this did not bother us much. The sliding balcony door was a good fit and kept the noise out.

Having read previous reviews on the rear facing rooms, we walked round the back of the hotel to check it out. The rear access road is narrow and opposite the hotel are multi-story apartments which literally overlook the rear facing rooms. We would not have been happy in one of these rooms - avoid.

Our first floor room was bigger than we expected and judging by the fire-escape plan were amongt the largest in the hotel - no complaints there. Obviously, the first thing you want to do when you arrive in your room is go to the loo. The Hermes is like most of Crete with a 'no paper down the loo' policy - took a while to get use to! The pushed-together twin beds were hard but not bumpy. The L-shaped sofa seemed softer, so if you fall out with your partner, a sleep on the sofa could be a benefit! I agree with others who say the rooms are basic, but, hey, we did not come on holiday to criticise the architecture! The label on the 32" LCD TV said May 2011, so it must have been new. The channel selection was pretty dire and the line-up changed three times during our stay - again, you don't come on holiday to watch TV, so not too much of a problem. The room was kept spotless by our maid, but she did let us down once by not replacing our towels one day - it took over an hour to get replacements after we phoned reception. The room's aircon was okay - no more than that - it did not blow cooled air all the time. The bathroom was clean and all the bits worked with hot water available at all times. And you can drink the water if you haven't got bottled to hand.

We were half-board - not all-inclusive, but the breakfast on offer was plenty and they remained open till 10:00, so most days a small snack was all that was needed to tide us over till evening. Overall the food was very good - we got lazy and ate in every night! After eating, we usually went straight to our room to crash out, so did not sample any of the entertainment provided.

If you're into keep-fit, the gym is well equipped, but costs 5 euros per day. The also have a bookable massager - French, called Jose. We both had one and was well worth the 50 euros each for a full hour. Just compare that with what you get in the UK. Highly recommended.

We did not get any litertrure prior to booking as to the hotel's other facilities, but they do provide a couple of PCs on the ground floor for residents' use - they seem to be hogged most of the time by Facebook browsing chavs........

Throughout our stay, we found all the staff helpful and friendly. This was our first holiday in Crete and we were glad that we chose this hotel in this resort.

4 Thank Kipper29
LLanelli
Reviewed July 10, 2011

The Hermes Hotel Is situated facing the Gulf of Mirabello and about a ten minute walk from the town of Agios Nikolaos.The decor of the Hotel is part 'new' and part 'old' but is maintained spotlessly clean by a hardworking staff (sometimes unappreciated). All areas .. Dining area..Pool Bar/Cafe..Main bar..Reception staff are of a high calibre; and service is excellent. The Games coordinators do a sterling job in generating guest participation in a number of 'FUN' activities.. Darts.. Pool Aerobics..Table Tennis; BINGO etc.The food is of a high standard.. self service from a well laid out area on entering the main dining room.The' ambience' of the Hotel has changed this year... leaving us both confused and a little disappointed... the reason maybe in the change of owners.. There is a charming little Candlelight Bar to the left of the hotel as guests leave the hotel called Toedeledoke which is well worth a visit; and a nice experience. Agios Nikolaos itself is a lovely town with easy connections to the rest of the Island attractions.. There is also a fine Golf Club not far away..But guests must be aware of the heat which in high season becomes very hot indeed. But then.. that is why we visit the Island.

Room Tip: Purchase a Seaview at all costs.. the views are spectacular!
19 Thank MAVERICKLLanelli
Milton Keynes
Reviewed July 10, 2011

We have just come back from ten nights at the Iberostar Hermes in Agios Nikolaos. The holiday was on the whole very good but this was not down to the quality of this hotel.
Before arriving at the hotel I had gone onto the Iberostar website and looked at their own description of the hotel. All I can say to this description is that I presume that whoever wrote the description has never been to the Hermes.

We booked a normal double room and was allocated room 522. As soon as I opened the door the stench of stale cigarette smoke hit us. All the fixtures and soft furnishings stank of cigarettes and so you could not escape the stench. When we opened the patio doors we had another shock. What should of been a view that would exceed our expetations (as stated on the iberostar website) was of a dirty back street with dogs barking, people shouting and motorbikes revving their engines. Not only this but the balcony went straight onto steps which anyone could walk up from the street. This meant that we could not leave the patio doors open to try and get some much need fresh air into the room.

I was very dissapointed by this and so complained. I was told that the views were exceptable because we were in a town and that smoking was normal. It also turned out that this room was a newly refurbished room, I told them to sack the interior designer and start again. I was not happy about this and to cut a long story short got relocated to a seaview room but not till after had to sleep in this shocking room.

I have to say that the next room was much better and was not a refurbished room but it looked much better and had some real Cretan rustic charm about it rather than trying to be morden and basically cheap looking.

We were on half board but only use the restaurant for breakfast. The standards were quite poor in particular the peach slices in syrup that were fizzy (time for the bin I think).

The pool area was ok and unlike others we never found it a problem to find a sun lounger. The pool itself was salt water which was ok but it was not in the best of states. I know this may sound like I'm whinging but I do have a valid reason.

Wilst swimming one day I cut my han on a suction pipe on the side wall of the pool. The suction was so strong that it pulled my hand into the pipe. I thought that this was very dangerous and although I didn't care to much about myself I new that this was a potential hazard that could cause some serious injury to a child. When I mentioned this I was told that the pipe (although it had cut me) was perfectly safe and didnt need a cover. I was told with a laugh that I must of cut my hand elsewhere. When I asked who this man in a tie was he told me he was Chris and he was the food and beverage manager!! Food and beverage managers look after how many sausages get put out for breakfast or how much vodka should be behind the bar, they are not employed to tell guests that a swimming pool maintenace issue is safe when it clearly wasn't.

I eventually spoke to the general manager who had the pump turned off. No cover was placed over the pipe and I'm sure now that I have left the hotel the pump is back on and the potential for more damage is back. Please keep this in mind if you have young people in the pool.

Anyway apart from the hotel Agios Nikolas and the surrounding areas are stunning. The seas are turquoise and the weather was great. Beaches are small but there are some nice ones. If you hire a car take a drive to Vai (about 2 hours east of Agios Nikolaos) an amazing beach sorounded by palm trees with clear water. It looks like something out of a Bond movie.

Take a boat trip to Spinalonga for a nice day trip.

When it comes to a meal at night personally I would avoid any of the restaurants that are in the harbour or around the lake. If you want avaerge food and anything that isn't traditional then eat in one of these but be aware that they are expensive touristy rubbish served by waiters who really couldn't care less. But if you are prepared to walk along streets not in the tourist areas you will find some great Tavernas that served well prepared and great tasting Greek food at half the price for twice as much. The owners of these places have great pride in what they do and really aim to please you. They gave us free starters and desserts just because we brough a jug of wine for 3 euros.

So my advice is ask for a sea view at the Hermes, explore the town of Agios Nikoloas, get out and about and visit the island and eat where the locals eat. Then you'll have a great experince.

I would also like to mention that Valentino and Elena from the main bar in the restaurant were very nice and served us well as did some of the receptionists but some of the others could really learn from their examples.

Room Tip: Avoid room 522. Its shocking
3 Thank pk23MiltonKeynes
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2011

After recently returning from The Hermes I am certainly wishing I was back there already!
We stayed for 10 days at the end of June on half board basis. The hotel is in a perfect location – across the road from a lovely bay, next door to the supermarket and about a 5 minute walk into the harbour.

The rooms were basic and by no means modern (a little outdated if anything) but were extremely clean and comfortable. The resort is so lovely that you hardly spend any time in the rooms anyway! The fridge is a good size and was ideal for storing drinks which were cheap at the supermarket. The fridge, safe and air conditioning are all included in the price. We did not book a seaview room and were not at all disappointed. Our balcony looked out onto a traditional Greek street which was very authentic and quiet at night.

Reception area and cafe del mar were very modern with helpful staff. Computers near reception with free internet access although there was no time limit on using these so you often round people sat on facebook or twitter for hours!

The pool and restaurant is situated on the 5th floor and has the most amazing views over the bay. The food in the hotel was excellent (we only ate out one evening and wished we hadn’t!) with plenty of choice and traditional Greek food. Breakfast included cereal, fresh fruit, yoghurt, a selection of breads, waffles (amazing!) plus continental ham, cheese, croissants and cooked breakfast – bacon, eggs, beans, sausage, omelette etc. Dinner included a variety of breads with dips, salads, a varied selection of main meals, fresh fruits and puddings. The only downfall was that half board included fresh juices, tea and coffee with breakfast but included NO drinks with your evening meal which was a little disappointing. Restaurant staff very friendly and were quick to point out 2 glasses of wine cost 8euros but half a bottle was 9euros which was a welcome suggestion! Something else to note is that in the evening gentlemen had to wear trousers past their knee. We had not been told this in any Thomas Cook literature or by the rep so were a little disappointed when my partner turned up in knee length shorts on the first evening to be turned away yet some girls were wearing hot pants/ dresses over bikinis they had been wearing round the pool all day!

The pool area was lovely, we put our towels on sun beds each morning as that seemed to be the only way you were guaranteed to get one - I can see this being a big problem in high season. The pool is a salt water pool which isn’t great but there are outdoor showers which are ok for cooling down.

We spent most evenings wondering around Agios Nikolaos which had a huge variety of bars, restaurants and shops to look around. Over the bridge there was the “bottomless lake” which again had many restaurants and bars surrounding it with delightful views. We also went on a boat trip to Spinalonga, an old leopar colony, which is a must! Thomas Cook did this trip for 32euros each but you could get virtually the same trip from the harbour for 15 Euros each! Only difference was Thomas Cook did a BBQ on the boat, but the boat we went on had a café on it anyway with cheap pizzas/ sandwiches.

I wouldn’t recommend this hotel for families but for couples it is ideal. It really is an amazing place to relax and take in the breathtaking views Crete has to offer.

3 Thank DaisyDeano
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Hi stayed here for two weeks.The room was ok and the seaveiw fantastic.The food was ok but could have been hotter.The price of drinks was horrendes right throughout the resort.
In a local bar half a lager and a coke was £5.70p and a Malibu and coke and a pint of lager £10.The staff in the hotel were great.the biggest nightmare was getting a sunbed,towels were going on in the early hours and the hotel did nothing.We gave up and went to the small shingle beach in front of the hotel but this was nearly £7 a day.It seems that the problems the greek ecomeny has is now being reflected in the price of everything.
We will not be going back to this hotel or greece in the near future a pity as the people are lovely

Room Tip: Go for a seaveiw on the 3rd or 4th floor
1 Thank davedoc
chorley
Reviewed July 7, 2011

We stayed at the Hermes from 26th June-5th July on a half board basis. We paid extra for a sea view and would definately recommend doing this, the view was fantastic and amazing to wake up to everyday. The rooms are slightly dated but clean and tidy and of a decent size. Beds are made, clean towels and rooms cleaned every day. Air con, safe and fridge all included in the price. The beds are low and you only get one pillow, but ask at reception and they will send you more up straight away. The staff are ok, bar staff in the del mar downstairs the friendliest. The rest of the staff are hit and miss, some very friendly and some just ok. Overall though a good bunch!
The reception, lobby and del mar bar downstairs are very modern and impressive, prices of drinks just the same as in the bars in the resort.(be aware Greece is not cheap at the mo for food and drinks!) The swimming pool and restaurant are on the 4th floor and have fantastic views. The pool area is large and the swimming pool is never too busy, food in the snack bar is nice but not the cheapest. There are quite a few sunbeds and people do try to leave their towels on to reserve them. We never had a problem getting a sunbed but this may be more difficult in peak times.
The breakfasts are amazing, a massive choice of fruit, salad, yogurt, cereals, juices, waffles (a must) sausage, bacon, eggs etc...... The evening meals are also good with a big choice of fruit, salad, bread and desserts. The main courses are ok and they do change every night but they are quite basic. There are amazing restaurants in the resort and out of 9 nights we ate in the resort 7 times! Try the mare monte it is also number 1 on tripadvisor.
There is entertainment organised nightly but this is mainly aimed towards the over 40's!
Overall a fantastic hotel and we would definately visit again and recommend to others!

1 Thank rach_leanne
#6 of 171 in Hersonissos
Mirabello Beach & Village Hotel
Mirabello Beach & Village Hotel
#6 of 95 in Agios Nikolaos

Been to Hermes Hotel? Share your experiences!