“Delicious food with charming staff and waterfront view”

Amalthea Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 191 Restaurants in Agios Nikolaos
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 26, 2017

We had our last dinner on Crete here - talk about ending on a high note! We generally enjoyed all the meals we had in and around Ag. Nikolaos but this really was the best. The food was all delicious (kebab, moussaka, sausage with yogurt sauce, grilled tuna...). It was lovely to sit by the sea, enjoying the sea breeze after a hot, HOT day and look out over the water and mountains. The service was so charming and made this memorable. Run by 2 brothers they really were attentive and keen to share their passion for food and an authentic Cretan experience with us. Seek this place out!

Reviewed June 23, 2017

My husband and I went there for lunch on a Wednesday. The location is interesting as there is a little beach called Kitroplatia that you pass on the way to this restaurant. I recommend parking up and walking, Aghios Nikolaos is small. The Restaurant is very welcoming and has a large open veranda with good spacing between tables. We had steamed mussels, fried shrimp, and a Greek salad to share with half a carafe of wine and some water. Very tasty and only 33 euro including the tip. The selection of salads was quite impressive I thought. Facilities very clean and modern. Fruit is given free after your mean. I can imagine that if you went there at dusk the mountains would be pink as they reflect the setting sun. A lovely spot.

1  Thank Barbara M
Reviewed June 8, 2017

I live and work in Agios Nikolaos, and since I tried this restaurant for the first time a few years ago, together with my fiancée, it is our favorite. It's located directly at the sea and offers a beautiful view of the Sitia mountains. The food is always exeptional, never takes too long to come and is served in large portions. What I also like is, that the menu always changes a bit every year, so it never gets boring. I have to mention the guys from the service especially! This restaurant has, hands down, the best service I have ever had anywhere! No matter how hard your day was, they'll make you forget it and just enjoy yourself. Absolutely recommended!

Reviewed June 8, 2017 via mobile

I ate chicken with dijon mustard. sauce was spot on, propably best meal i had here agio nikolaos !!! Really nice and helpfull staff. Our meal took some time before it came because there were really big group of people before us so they gave us free dessert, even thought it really didnt take that long.

Reviewed May 28, 2017 via mobile

Delicious genuinely Cretan food, with fish our favourite. Staff are wonderfully friendly and helpful. Our top choice.

Date of visit: May 2017