“We wanted to relax. We relaxed!”

Blue Marine Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 94 Hotels in Agios Nikolaos
London, United Kingdom
“We wanted to relax. We relaxed!”
Reviewed July 22, 2010

We just spend a week in the "Aquis Blue Marine Resort & Spa" hotel. I was very excited when we saw the pictures on the website and booked a good deal: 429 Pound/pp from London - Heraklion, bus transfer and a week all inclusive stay in the hotel. But we booked inland view! When we arrived at 6 am (with a great sun rise) we got a massive room with sea view. By 10 am we had a notice to contact the reception. We could have kept the room - but only with an upgrade of 30€/per day. We decided to get a smaller room with sea view - which cost us 8€ more a day for the room.
The hotel is massive, clean and has good service.
What I really hated were the loud doors. Because of the lock system their shut very loud which makes a lot of noise during the nigh when people come late back to their room...
We never stayed at the pool (too many people) but had to pay 5€ per day at the beach to use a sun bed each and an umbrella (which you definitely need if you don't want to burn yourself). I would have been more happy about the beach if it wasn't that stony! Glad we bought beach trainers with rubber soles (we used in Rhodes last year).
The restaurant was nearly open the whole day from 7am-10pm which was impressive.
The choice of food was good, but the Greek food was better then the international one. Real juice would have been great - not that sweet limonade. And other tea choices then black tea or camomile.
I was very disappointed that the gym was only open at the spa hours (10am-6pm). As I like to jogg before breakfast. Outside it was just too hot and the restaurant closed at 10am for breakfast.
I used the spa once. Did the Thalasso-Spa -"day" (4 hours) for 95€ (!). The equipment (lookers, pool and sauna) looked cheap but the massage was like heaven!
We never used a taxi from out the FRONT OF THE HOTEL.... The bus was cheap (6,90€ for the journey to Heraklion) but long (2 hours) to get to the capital. Yes the hotel is a bit in the "woods" which is great if you just want to relax.
The hotel shop had everything we needed (snacks, stamps and newspapers). But I found the jewellers, shoes etc. were overpriced!
The hotel photographer got on my nerves as she tried a few times to take a picture of us just to sell it expensive. Glad she never got us is the end as I take my own pictures. Which I did a lot.
One night we went to the bar and ordered a Mojito. One with and one without alcohol. What did the barman do? He mumbled something to my boyfriend who just said "ok" and we got one Mojito with water (!) and one with two shots of alcohol which were both charged with 6,90€ each!
At the last night we went for the (one per week) free meal in the 5star restaurant on the fifth floor of the hotel. The service was great just did not decide for the best meal..
Another benefit: the hotel has Wi-fire and (if you don't want to bring your own laptop) laptops to borough.

1 Thank am23am23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2010

ok first review ever written but felt i must write to warn others!
Firstly arrived at 1am in the morning and must say very impressed when we saw the size of the room and how clean it was....however went from bad to worse
started with getting up at 9am to find you have no chance of getting a bed by the pool unless you get up at 6am (who wants to do this on their holiday??) and if you were to go to the beach you have to pay 5 euros for a sunbed there
secondly the food is awful, lukewarm and most the dishes running out and not restocked regularly enough...however if that wasnt bad enough i bit into a bread roll and found a live maggot inside! complained to the resturant manager who jsut laughed at me and said 'we have no maggots you can look in the kitchen if you want' he refused to come see the maggot which was still wriggling away in the bread roll. later when taked to the main general manager he claimed it was a misunderstanding!
the hotel is in the middle of no where.....cost 9 euros for a taxi to where the shops and bars are and buses are not frequent at all and finish at about 8pm.
animation team, found the guests they like on day 1 and didnt bother with the rest of the guests....felt they should of tried alot harder to mix with more guests as they do in other hotels
spa is very expensive...20 euros to use the indoor pool
thats about it but as you can guess will never be returning!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
7 Thank smudge95
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2010

We have just spent two weeks at the Aquis Blue Marine and had a wonderful, relaxing holiday. We are well travelled and have stayed all over the world in a range of hotels. We therefore understand the differences in various types of accommodation, which I’m presuming many of these “complainers” below do not! An all-inclusive hotel is never going to offer the same experience as a luxury 5 star hotel where you pay individually for everything. Surely that’s just common sense? Aquis Blue Marine is a five star European all-inclusive hotel.

Without a doubt the highlight of our trip was being entertained by the animation team! Erika, Mario, Lubi, Aurelio, Kamila and Guna – we miss you! We did water aerobics everyday and my husband loved the beach volley, football and darts. If you don’t want to get involved there is no pressure. The evening entertainment is fantastic too. This team and the pool bar staff work hard constantly – always with beautiful smiles on their faces! Applauso!

The food was good. It’s never going to be a fine dining experience but we had a variety of delicious salads and always a choice of fish and meat. (There’s even pasta for the fussy eaters!) The staff worked effortlessly at replenishing stocks and clearing tables. “We love lunch!”

Our room was great with the most beautiful views out to sea with Agios Nikolaos stretching out along the coastline. These wonderful views can also be seen from the pool bar and al a carte restaurant as well as by the pool when you’re relaxing.

Note to management areas for improvement: the hotel does need to provide more sun loungers so people aren’t forced to reserve them at 7am. Just as we left there were signs up saying no reservations but everyone should be entitled to a lounger by the pool, without being forced to pay 5 euros on the beach this SHOULD be part of the all-inclusive package. Also safety deposit boxes should be free to use!

We would and have recommended this hotel to friends. The location and hotel are beautiful and we wish we were back there!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Oswestry, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I am already looking forward to my next trip to this hotel. We had a very pleasant stay, the views were amazing and there was plenty to do in the local area. The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. The food at the hotel was beautiful and well presented, compliments to the chef! We especially enjoyed our meal at the a la carte restaurant. The hotel is beautiful, well kept and very clean. All members of staff were friendly, very polite, helpful and professional. The all inclusive package was very good value. I will definately be going back here and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank megdee
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Very good hotel, very clean and well maintained. All inclusive was good and there was a good choice of food in the Main Restaurant and snacks at the Pool Bar. Entertainment most evenings and animation programme each day. Lovely views and good pools. Access to the beach from the hotel. Did not use the Health Spa as that was extra but it looked lovely. We were diappointed with the Olive Tree gourmet restaurant as the choice was limited and the service was slow. However, everything else was good and it was a very suitable resort for those who like a holiday by the pool and the sea. You do need a car to get around to shops etc but the hotel is worth it. The resort is approx 75 mins from Knossos and Heraklion airport by car. Agios Nikolaos is 15 mins and is the nearest shopping centre. Hersonissus is 45 mins away.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2010

We travelled largely on the basis of all the positive feedback but ultimately found the experience very disappointing.
The hotel doesn't deserve a five star rating - being kind I would rate it 3 star+, being harsh I'd compare it to a prison due to the poor food, total isolation and large heavy room doors you'll hear crashing shut throughout the night.
We chose an inland view. While this presented no sight other than a cliff face, we didn't mind as it offered privacy. However, as the room was off one huge corridor without dividing doors, the echoing noise proved annoying. This was compounded for us by being on the third floor, which is the same level as the main bar. Not only did we hear the bar noise until the early hours, but as adults drank in the bar they left their children to play and scream up and down the corridor, which made sleep very difficult.
At 1.30am on our first night I asked reception if we could move to another floor, but was told it couldn't be done at that time of night. They asked me to return in the morning. The next day I was told the hotel was fully booked so we couldn't move rooms but there would be a large number of departures the next day. The receptionist said we would therefore need to spend another night in the same room but the following day they would put a note in the room explaining how they would move us. No note appeared. I spoke to reception again who said they didn't leave a note as there had been lots of arrivals. She said as they couldn't transfer us they had nothing to tell us so hadn't left a note. She did invite us to pay extra for a sea view, which they could offer on a different floor, which we declined. A note never appeared throughout our stay and we just had to put up with the room.
Other points to mention:
Restaurant - the usual buffet fare. A lot of the dishes were luke warm or extremely dry. Of particular note was a green vegetable soup, which my partner and I both thought tasted like vomit bile - there is no way the chef could have tasted it during its preparation. All guests get one visit to the a la carte restaurant, which although a lovely setting, the food is no better. The menu actually states all fish and meat is frozen, which perhaps explained why my pork kebab and partner's fish were so tough. A diner at a nearby table sent back her lamb main course and asked for fish soup instead. My dessert of a fruit salad in a mint dressing was laughable and one of the most disgusting things I've ever eaten. My partner and I ended up playing a game of dare when it came to how much we could stomach.
Gym - unbearably hot despite the whirr of air conditioning vents. The LCD display on the rowing machine was broken, a foot strap was missing from the exercise bike and the cross trainer had a habit of sticking.
Rooms - generally very clean, like the rest of the hotel. However, one day the cleaner had bizarrely left a rusting kitchen knife in the bathroom. This was removed the next time the room was cleaned. There was not a single dedicated English TV channel.
Location - the hotel is very isolated. You either have to wait for bus (which appears within a 90 minute window, they can't specify any further than this) or get a taxi into town.
Pool - never spent much time here since you have to get up very early to stand a chance of reserving a sun bed with your towel.
Beach - quite stoney but sea was beautiful and warm. Costs 5 euros for two sun loungers and umbrella. Spent most of our time here.
Staff - bar and restaurant staff very helpful and pleasant. The animation team also very friendly and make a huge effort to entertain and keep guests happy.
There are lots of other minor things I could go into, i.e. didn't receive the complimentary drink on arrival until I mentioned it, room key didn't work, etc, but I think by now you'll have got the flavour of our experience!

3 Thank Toontraveller_75
Bristol
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Just returned from a weeks stay here. For the life of me, how does this hotel rate so high?
Booked it based upon the reviews as usually I find Trip advisor invaluable...but not this time!

Are you all comparing it with a 2 star self catering experience in Greece? If so then yes i'd give it 4 stars on this basis. If however you compare it against other 5 star resorts around the world, then sorry its worth 2 at best here's why....

Its 2010, this is a relatively new resort and still we have to put tissue paper in bins...grim
I would not expect a filthy shower curtain (the bottom 6 inch's were brown with dirt) in a 5 star hotel, come on it should be glass! Water leaks all over the floor so you then have to use the toilet whilst paddling!
The air conditioning is so loud, You can't have it on whilst sleeping so you have a choice of sweat or no sleep?
The room itself is quite modern but cheap fittings, i'd say MFI quality. Cheap tiles, a cheap wood surround for the sink...just no where near 5 star quality in my experience.

The food... we referred to it as slops. Always running empty, very poor choice, tepid and after 4 days you want to eat anywhere else. Its got a canteen feel, so noisy you want to eat as quickly as possible and go.

All inclusive except for...the indoor pool, internet access, pool table, beach sun loungers and drinks....there is a menu in the Panorama bar with dozens of drinks however all inclusive allows you to have a choice of 5 local spirits or lager or wine, thats it. If you want a Brandy that doesn't taste like sweet coffee then it costs you 9 euros. To top it off the all inclusive option stops at 23.00 so you either have to pay or go to bed...

My wife and I are usually pretty generous with our reviews as you will see if you search here, but I'm sorry this place isn't worthy of its status or the price we paid.
For another £100 we could have gone back to Mexico, where any of the top 100 hotels on trip advisor are in another league quite frankly.

The one positive is the view, which is lovely. We also hired a car so got to see the island which is beautiful in places. We last stayed here over 15 years ago back in our cheapie trip days so wanted to see how its changed. Unfortunately the view doesn't compensate for the above i'm afraid....Can't think of too many other reasons to visit here.

3 Thank sibloo01
#5 of 94 in Agios Nikolaos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,553 reviews
Daios Cove Luxury Resort & Villas
Iberostar Creta Panorama & Mare

Been to Blue Marine Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!