“DANGEROUS OWNER! BE AWARE AND KEEP AWAY!”

Homo Sapiens Museum
Ranked #306 of 655 things to do in Crete
More attraction details
Owner description: Thematic Park representing mans agony and struggle for survival through the centuries.
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My family and I were driving around the mountains on our way to Zeus’ caves when we accidentally came across a car park with a spectacular view and a small gift shop where we paid 15 euros on ice creams. After spending approximately 10 minutes admiring the view and enjoying our overly priced ice creams my mother noticed a sign for the homo-sapiens museum, but there was no entry price in sight. Instead of leaving it at that, like most other visitors, we decided to follow the tunnel down to the entrance of the museum to find out the price. When we got to the end of the tunnel we were approached by the owner of the museum who told us that it would cost 3 euros each. However, we realised that we didn’t really have enough time as we were en route to the caves so politely told the owner that we needed to think about it and we then left the tunnel.
Just as we were about to get into our car we noticed that the owner had followed us out of the tunnel. He began to shout uncontrollably at my mother for taking photos of the mountainous view as it is “private property” (there were about 50 other tourists taking photos too!) and then claimed he would give us a discount to come into the museum. At this point we really had no interest at all and I told him we did not want to. The owner then advanced towards my father and SPAT in his face. It was disgusting and we could not believe what we had just seen! Instead of apologising this vile man continued to shout but this time at my father. My father remained calm and simply told the man that he didn’t want to insult him but that we were not interested in visiting the museum. The owner then charged towards my father shouting at him about respect and relentlessly cursing him in Greek, but my brother managed to keep him back. This happened several times and we had no way of escaping as the owner had come so close to the car. Reluctantly my father shouted back at the man and warned him away at which point the owner most probably realised it wouldn’t be such a clever idea to instigate a fight alone against two men. The owner then ran towards the gift shop yelling in Greek and we can only assume that he was intending to get back up from staff in the shop. At this point we all jumped into the car and drove off hastily. I would advise anybody to keep well away from this museum and in fact this entire area. This man is DANGEROUS and really does not deserve your custom! BE AWARE!!

13  Thank gemmaontour

Reviewed August 15, 2013

It's a nice place... The museum is analytical with description buildings. Lovely point between the mountains!!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

It's a nice place with an interesting museum... We traveled back in time!! And the point is the best!!

1  Thank Katerina L
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

We popped in here on the way up the mountain as it looked pleasant with a nice gift shop. We looked around the shop and my husband took a few photos of the scenery. We then wandered up to the museum to see what it was all about, we met a man who I can only presume is the owner, we asked how much and he said 3 euros and we decided not to go in. When my husband tried to take a photo of a skull on the step the man went crazy he said we need to ask permission which my husband then did and the man said no we couldn't take any photos... So we went to leave, the man then chased us yelling about respect and do we understand, he followed us shouting at us telling us not to take any photos... I was in shock as we were just trying to leave, he continued shouting at my husband and following us right up in his face, my husband remained very calm as he politely told him we were leaving... The man kept shouting and yelling about respect, so we took a quick walk to our car and saw the man looking for us to make sure we were leaving. My husband beeped and waved at him as we left. We honestly could not believe what had happened, we were surprised, shocked and quite upset to be spoken to like that... Do not venture here, it may look like a nice place to stop but the owner is very scary!

9  Thank Nicstehey
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We could never imagine that up on the mountains of Crete we would get a great lesson of the evolution of human from the caves ages until now!Our children and we, felt as like we read all the books of the history of human within 20 mins!!!We feel sorry though (as we can see from some of the comments), for those who cannot understand simple things and gain the museum's nice messages. It's a matter of education and conception of course.... Great place after all, with an amazing view for many photos!The souvenir shop is quite good too, with a big variety for gifts and small things to remember from Crete!

2  Thank MelissaApartments