“Don't Stay Here!”

Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Delphi
PA
“Don't Stay Here!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is by far one of the worst hotels I stayed at in Europe. The only redeeming quality about this disaster of a hotel is the view but seriously that's it. I'm sure this hotel was lovely 50 years ago but it has gone terribly downhill from there. The food, especially the buffet breakfast is completely disgusting. The slimmest pickings I have ever seen, hair in the food and things weren't completely cooked through. The rooms are disgusting as well. Shattered mirrors, shoddy carpentry fix ups and non-functioning air conditioning are only the beginning. I hope you like flies because hordes of them live in the hallways and try to get into the room if you leave your door open for longer than five seconds. Also avoid the pool. I can't prove it but I am almost positive I developed a UTI after swimming in it. Thank god you can buy antibiotics without a prescription in Greece or my vacation would have been ruined by this hell hole. AVOID this place - there are plenty of newer and nicer looking places to stay in the small town.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. Don't stay here!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SueMPA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Really don't know how to begin on this review... maybe some background on why and how we got there...

We joined a 4 or 5 days mainland Greece tour organized by KEYTOURS and we have specifically paid a premium to ensure all our hotels are A class (ie 4 stars+) so in Delphi we ended up here for 1 night in this 4 star hotel.

Maybe we will start off with the good things with this hotel.. the mountain view is quite stunning and the location is quite near to the Delphi town (a few minutes walk I was told though I didn't have time to venture out at night because of various reasons...)

Now the below were the things that could happen in 1 night's stay in this 4 stars hotel.

We were upgraded to a suite (Rm 35A and B) which are actually two rooms joined together with one room as a living room and a single bed and the other just a regular bedroom with a double bed.

1) There were no lifts, it was ok for us as we were sort of near ground floor level.

2) Once we opened the room, we were greeted by a hole on the floor (see photo)

3) Tried to put stuff in the safe but found that the safe did not work. Asked the receptionist and they figured out the safe is out of battery. Waited for half and hour and they finally found some battery and after fiddling they at last told us it was working and told me to use the code 1234 to operate the safe? (it was actually a different no. i won't mention here) but what is the point of a safe if you also know the code? Having too tired to ask them for further instruction we gave up on the safe (of course we won't use it if the code is well known)

4) We then opened the fridge and voilà, it was not working (no, not unplugged on the outside but rather from the inside)... after the previous incident with the safe we didn't want to waste another hour for them to service the fridge. So we passed on that too.

5) There were two toilets and I opened the small window in one of them and I closed it immediately as I saw cobwebs with dead insects behind it... still 1 dead wasp managed to drop on the bathroom floor... (sorry no photo as i didn't want to open it again)

6) Since it was not too interesting to stay in the room we went to see if we could have a swim in the pool. No one was there by the pool side, the clean towels and dirty towels were placed in two different places. It was when I looked at the pool water that I decided to give it a bye as well. Right at the pool bottom you see a lot of black particles deposited, as if the pool filter has not been turned on for ages.

7) After dinner we went back to our room for shower. The towels did not feel clean but no worries we have our own.

8) And then there was no hot water at all! We ran it for a long time and still nothing. I went to the receptionist to complain and she asked me my room # and said there was a technical problem and asked me to wait 10-15 minutes. After 30 minutes I went again and they said something about the solar panel and after some "clarifications" she admitted that there wasn't enough hot water because the hotel was full! and told me that it would be ok tomorrow morning and said sorry but basically nothing they could do. (at that time she still implied that our room was the room with problem but they had no spare room)

After spending a hot day in Olympia and a long bus journey I didn't think I could sleep with those sweat and dirt so I insisted that she provided a solution and after consulting with the not so helpful owner(?) they agreed to drive me to their other building for a shower.

As it was past 11pm at night I did not want to risk myself (actually didn't want to leave my wife in another place if she came along and she worried about me going alone and insisted to come along) so I took the cold water shower and settled the matter.

In the next morning we heard from the friends of the tour that they didn't have hot water last night and even in the morning it was just luke warm.

9) Before we slept my wife found hair & stains inside the pillow, didn't know why she even bothered to look but at that point I don't blame her for the mistrust. (See photo)

10) We found we could not pull the curtain blinds to cover the window because it was not wide enough! (see photo)

Maybe all these only happened to us by chance on that particular night for that particular room, but it was supposed to be a 4 star hotel and there were some obvious problems:

- hotel was understaffed. (it was not clean, throughout the stay I only saw the receptionist, 1 or 2 waiters in the restaurant, and the owner)
- hotel did not bother to invest for the maintenance. (fixing the floor, the fridge, cleaning the place)
- they knew about the hot water problem all along but did not willing to do anything and think that you guys would only stay once so it wouldn't matter if you are not satisfied.

I was told that for this kind of problems the owner must invest a substantial amount of money to rectify the problem. What was ironic was that on the next day after our visit to Delphi temple KEYTOURS brought us to a restaurant in Delphi for lunch and there I saw the owner, the receptionist serving us lunch! The restaurant was nicely decorated with beautiful bathrooms... I now know why they were understaffed and also where they have invested.

I wouldn't want to write this review if it did not advertise itself as a 4 star hotel and we haven't paid a hefty premium for the trip.

We didn't have a choice on choosing the hotels during the trip, and I don't want to put this hotel out of business. But I also do not want others to feel cheated or have their time ruined during their stay in Delphi if they have a choice to choose. So choose wisely.

Room Tip: My photos are room 35A and 35B, you decide on yourself.... No comments about others as I haven't...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Vince_HK

Travelers are raving about these Delphi hotels

Greece
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This hotel was one of the famous "Xenia" chain built by the Greek government in the sixties to kick-start quality tourism. Designed by the best modern architects of the period and located in unbelievably beautiful places, they are all great to visit.
Over time, the state management, under pressure from many private competitors, allowed them all to deteriorate and they were all privatised in the nineties and early 21st century. Many are now again top hotels, others are struggling a bit.
This is one that can no longer be a top hotel but is nonetheless still amazingly located and comfortable. Of course prices reflect this status and you should get a good price deal.
Apparently they have a good restaurent but we didn't try it. Eating out is OK locally or, better, go up the hill to the tavernas of Arachova or down to the sea at Itea.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank edandmarianne
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Delphi Palace is a historic hotel and part of the Greek architectural heritage, since it was designed by one of Greece's seminal architects Mr. Demetrios Pikionis; Delphi Palace being one of his most important works is under the aegis of the Hellinic Preservation Trust. This information was passed on to me by the owner, whom I had the pleasure to meet during my stay there. Apparently this hotel was recently renovated with some certain extensions, such as the swimming pool & spa area, inasmuch as it went though a sustainable regeneration process in order to attain some modern facilities and services without sacrificing its character and identity. Due to my profession I found all this quite fascinating and I strongly believe that whomever has an interest in seeing more than the archaeological site, should definitely pay a visit to this hotel.

If you don't care much about the above, your stay will still be just as good. The staff is very polite and helpful, most of them fluent in more languages than just English. What I loved more about this hotel were the spaces which are found on different levels, emphasizing more the fact that this building lies on a cliff. There are nice little gardens connecting all the exterior spaces making the walks from one place to another all very pleasant. The restaurant has a massive terrace that overlooks the Corinthian Gulf, just like most of the rooms' balconies; the views are amazing giving you the best of the renowned Delphic landscape. Location-wise, being on the west outskirts of the town it is very quiet, yet only a 5 minute walk away from the town centre.
Overall a very enjoyable and memorable stay, I would definitely go back any time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank lizziefizzie
Delphi, Greece
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Pictures on the Web nice, actual hotel today not like in pictures, maybe when it was built. It is dirty, pool the same, blue towels for pool side full of stains.One insect walking in our room when we walked in the room. Dolphin Hellas needs to review the hotels from time to time. Definitely this hotel is not what we hoped.

Diego G

Room Tip: Do not believe in the pictures they were taken in 1950. 62 years later it is totally different
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Like most hotels in Delphi the view is spectacular in particular rooms. If you are looking for the best view make sure to request rooms on higher levels on the side closest to the Delphi. Rooms on on the other side and lower have a partial view blocked by the swimming pool cover.

The hotel is located on the "outskirts" of Delphi, but only a 7 minute walk from the center of main street. Besides, in the evening you get to walk by the locals sitting on their decks.

The grounds are a bit unkept, plants grow unhindered. There is a path below the pool that would lead to a nice cafe, but the hotel does not seem to keep it up. The fate on the left side is locked, but I believe the gate on the right was open.

If you are on a tour group the dinner and breakfast are OK, but I highly recommend going in town and finding a place to eat. The staff tries hard, but the fair is not something you will write home about. The bar and the "business center" are also non-existent.

In terms of the room they are a decent size. They have flat screen TVs. The sheets were very clean and so were the towels. Didn't find hair on the linens. The bathrooms are smaller and the showers do not have the traditional shower head. Like most Greek hotels they are bathtubs with handheld heads. Air condition is slow in some rooms, but if you harp enough on it the staff will give you a "smaller room" which will pump AC controlled by the desk. (They'll turn it off in the morning so be careful.) But, you shouldn't care about the room, because you should only be in it to sleep!

The staff is very attentive and concerned about your stay. Delphi has been hit hard by the supposed problems with Greece, so the staff really wants you to enjoy yourself. We had a problem with a clean bathroom which was immediately taken care of. The staff was very apologetic and provided a complementary bottle of wine. That is probably the best gesture we have ever gotten from a hotel.

In all a nice option for Delphi.

Room Tip: Request room of upper levels for good views.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This was our third hotel on our travels through Europe. We were most impressed by the views that were offered. You are perched high up on the mountain and get a fantastic blend of mountains, oceans, etc from any room you end up in. Each room has it's own little balcony which added to the experience. The rooms were large as well as the bathrooms, although our group had a broken shower head and broke their key in the lock. It didn't seem to be a problem for the staff though, they spoke excellent English and had a repairman down right away to fix both problems without issue. The meals were excellent, and the swimming pool was a nice treat after dinner. Very peaceful and relaxing.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends